03-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Canson Vellum 9x12
Windsor & Newton inks & masking fluid
Higgins ink,pencil
sable & bamboo brushes No Photoshop
Yarka watercolors
WHITEOUT!
eraser rubbings for texture
A major tute from Auntie Mame, thank you!
'Beached Dreams'
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2004/15983-Beached_Dreams.jpg

heh
03-25-2004, 04:04 PM
:eek:
no photoshop??!
don't ever go back
you dont need it
look look at this
i'll be back after i eat and digest it :D

arourapope
03-25-2004, 05:40 PM
Yep. You got it happen. Keep on.

Tamana
03-25-2004, 06:08 PM
Blink. A digi that's not digi; I would say you succeeded. The repetitive lettering adds a particularly interesting touch. It's got a silk-scarf orient feel to it in design and sparsity. I'm particularly drawn to the opening beyond the veiled matter that will reveal exactly what the shadow on the other side is...

yay for new directions.

somerset
03-25-2004, 06:13 PM
Dena thanks. Was trying for a greater differentations between the two styles but when it came time for the color to come out...
AP-thanx.

somerset
03-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Cross-posting Tam. I actually get your meaning about the Orient and greatly admire that style. From my 'sent' file, here is the drawing before I ran wild with color.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2004/15983-15983-Beached_Dreams.jpg

Tamana
03-25-2004, 06:24 PM
The latter is womb-like; the color holds the mystery. Glad you pushed it.

Bisco
03-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Nice nice
should try some digital/mixmedia for the hell of it

muchfoolishness
03-25-2004, 09:28 PM
i dont understand the technique but i like what it is
tricky

Smileawhyl
03-25-2004, 10:35 PM
It is taking me a while to process this. I like the drawing a great deal. I am guessing that if I saw the color in person I would really understand everything the color is about. I really like the idea of the added texture. I'm not as astute to the implications of detail sometimes. I think it's because I should get my glasses prescription changed. Tam has a great eye for this and I've gotten quite a lot of insight from her comments.

I know I like the color rendition. I'm just not sure about the 'why' of it right now, but it's definitely a 'thumbs up' from me:)

somerset
03-25-2004, 11:46 PM
Tam, womb-like yes. And dreams?
According to the dictionary, gestate
transitive and intransitive verb

1. medicine carry offspring in the womb: to carry offspring in the womb, or develop as offspring in the womb
2. develop ideas in the mind: to develop in the mind, or allow an idea or plan to develop in the mind
Scary.

Bisco, thank you. Believe me that idea is making major noise in my head. I would rather not throw away the little I have learned about digital media and digitizing this one could have addressed some of the remaining niggles I have with it. For example it would be an easy matter digitally to alter the perspective here and give the figures the prominence they deserve to better execute this concept.

Michael...what its all about. Thank you. Technique? Flyin' by the seat of my pants.

Patty...don't be so sure about understanding the color,as I do not. For example, I can tell you that a small portion of the blue is representative of the ocean and therefore had a meaning for me as I applied it but the larger portion of the blue was just to cover the white. And I went too far with it but did not want to do anymore painting with whiteout and was unsure how much more stress the paper could take. Think I had too much fun with the texture too but I don't regret it. I never get to touch anything digi unless I print it :)