PDA

View Full Version : The Cabin

brrice
03-24-2004, 09:16 PM
This is one of my acrylic painting of a cabin on the north atlantic. It is in the canadian province of Newfoundland. This cabin is owned by my uncle. He retired a few years ago. It is in a well enclosed harbour. He has owned this sail boat for over 30 years. I tried to give the feeling of a perfect place to retire and relax. The scan is a little dull, I should have got a better scanner.

JamieWG
03-25-2004, 07:33 AM
I tried to give the feeling of a perfect place to retire and relax. The scan is a little dull, I should have got a better scanner.

Well you certainly achieved your goal on this one! I could easily see myself retiring in a place like that. It doesn't look dull at all to me. Great job on the sky and reflections too. What did you use to render the thin white lines up to the mast on the boat? Can you please tell us the size and surface of your painting too?

Thanks for sharing!

Jamie

Marty C
03-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Hi Brian,
Great job on the water and reflections. The yacht and the buildings are very well rendered, really good detail, especially that rigging! The only thing that bothers me a little is the hill - it is kind of difficult to get a sense of the distance, it appears both near and far ie the lower half looks quite close whilst the upper half seems to be at a greater distance.
Apart from that small nit, great work.

RhiannonJ
03-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Great job! Love the details of the sailboat and cabin and those clouds are awesome! One thing though that bothers me somewhat is the reflection being almost as detailed as the actual buildings and boat. I think it would be more realistic if the water was a bit darker and the reflections weren't as sharp, but other than that I love it!

Rhi

VeldaJ
03-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Super picture Brian and definitely a lovely place to retire to. Lovely detail and great reflections.

Alan Cross
03-25-2004, 01:12 PM
You did a great job making it look calm and peaceful.....
Alan :)

DLGardner
03-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Oh what a wonderful place to retire!
Your work is so clean and crisp, so refreshing. I love this piece-will be looking for more of yours.

I cannot draw a straight line. How do you do it?

Dianne

brrice
03-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all your comments. Some of you asked about the lines on the rigging. I paint on 1/4 " masonite and this is a 14" x 20" piece. The good thing about painting on hardboard is that it enables me to lightly score the surface with a sharp point. I then have a path for the paint to fall in. This is one advantage about painting on a panel. Thats how I did the rigging and the house siding. The big hill in the background is very steep and the rocks are very dark. The painting itself does not have the same effect as the photo. There is a more sense of depth. I guess black scans in too intence. The burnt Sienna look in the hill side is the effect of iron oxide as the rocks above breakdown and crumble.

Thanks for all the input everyone

Eugene Veszely
03-26-2004, 06:14 AM
I dont want to be a wet blanket .....but the sky really bothers me...the angle of the clouds make me feel like I am about to fall over !! I dont know if anyone else thinks so....but may be if you levelled them out a bit it wouldnt be so pronounced..... :)

M-Art
03-26-2004, 07:07 AM
Hi Brian,

I think it is a good picture, with the correct color in it.
The boot is realistic and the reflections in the water are so realistic.
Go on.

Alison Jardine
03-26-2004, 01:05 PM
This is one of my acrylic painting of a cabin on the north atlantic. It is in the canadian province of Newfoundland. This cabin is owned by my uncle. He retired a few years ago. It is in a well enclosed harbour. He has owned this sail boat for over 30 years. I tried to give the feeling of a perfect place to retire and relax. The scan is a little dull, I should have got a better scanner.

Hi

Your painting is lovely, very crisp and clean, and it certainly is somewhere that looks just idyllic. Love the composition particularly around the boat & houses & water -- I also think it would be interesting to see this picture cut down to around that central focal region, like a rectangular detail. Nice one!

Ali

brrice
03-26-2004, 05:40 PM
I dont want to be a wet blanket .....but the sky really bothers me...the angle of the clouds make me feel like I am about to fall over !! I dont know if anyone else thinks so....but may be if you levelled them out a bit it wouldnt be so pronounced..... :)

Thats a good point about the sky. (smile) Actually, believe it or not it is possible to get clouds like that in nature . But it is usually in a high wind condition. Part of the idea of this painting is that the boat is in a sheltered harbour safe from the winds. Most of my paintings have normal boring looking clouds. This year I have expermented with more turbulant skies. But what I have found is most people (other artist) don't like anything abnormal in the sky. It is a good lesson. I really don't think I will be doing clouds with that angle look again. Tried that! been There! you know what I mean. I find much, about art is experimenting new things new ideas. Its all part of that expression . Leting creativity flow. Sometimes we try something that in the end does not work well, but we learn and move on.

Thanks for your observation.

Eugene Veszely
03-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Thats a good point about the sky. (smile) Actually, believe it or not it is possible to get clouds like that in nature .

I know I have seen them :)...but sometimes...well often ...we have to do what is best for the picture and edit nature so it looks like it is real ;) :)

brrice
03-27-2004, 09:19 AM
I know I have seen them :)...but sometimes...well often ...we have to do what is best for the picture and edit nature so it looks like it is real ;) :)

Thats exactly what I am beginning to see. Thanks again for the excellent advice.

Eugene Veszely
03-28-2004, 09:52 AM
We are all always learning :)

mairrca
03-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Well to my way of thinking....this is the perfect painting of a beautiful place to live. Love the feel of this entire painting. :clap: :clap: :clap:

brrice
03-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Well to my way of thinking....this is the perfect painting of a beautiful place to live. Love the feel of this entire painting. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Mairrca,

You trully did encourage me about this piece. I was thinking the sky ruined it. But,what I am finding is that different artist like different ideas. I used to try and be super realistic . I now like to be more expressive. I just have to not go too far with expression if I choise to paint in a realism style.

Brian

Lorijo
03-28-2004, 08:23 PM
I agree totally with Mairrca, it is a fine painting, nothing at all wrong. I like the sky, subject, reflections, it is perfect. In many of my skies I have steep angles in the clouds, I use them as a directional device to point to the center of interest in the painting. Lorijo

Leaflin
04-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Hi Brian :)
I love this painting!
Looks like an incredible place to retire.
Your reflections are fantastic, and I feel the sky adds to the overall composition.

brrice
04-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi Brian :)
I love this painting!
Looks like an incredible place to retire.
Your reflections are fantastic, and I feel the sky adds to the overall composition.

Thanks Leaflin for your encouraging comments, I wasn't sure about the sky but I feel a little better now and Im glad you think it adds to the overall composition.

This place that I painted here is from my original hometown and I spent the first 19 years of my life here . I lobster fished in my teen years and spent a lot of time in and around boats and wharfs. The scenery on the east coast of Canada is beautiful. Offcourse Im a little bias. We tend to paint best that which we love the most. I live in the central region of Canada now in the province of Ontario. I am begining to paint scenes from Ontario;but, I can't get the Newfoundland landscape and seascapes out of my head.Its too bad I live 3000 kl away from my muched loved homeland.

Thanks also Lorijo for your comments. I was looking at some of your work and I really like your skies as well.

Lorijo
04-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks Brian! Lorijo

RottenScoundrel
04-13-2004, 09:45 PM
I am only new to painting, but being a Newfoundlander I can say the sky looks fine. I can only see the oddity of it once people pointed it out, but I would consider the clouds like this somewhat typical for these parts of the world. The hill is hard to figure from the scan, but I find scanners can't do much justice. Odd in an outport to find a shed the same color as the house, but anything goes in color schemes around here (which makes the place a painters paradise here for colors). Love the painting and the 'wish I was at that spot' feeling I get - which, I guess, is the point of painting it, not just technical accuracy.

brrice
04-14-2004, 04:00 AM
Odd in an outport to find a shed the same color as the house, but anything goes in color schemes around here (which makes the place a painters paradise here for colors). Love the painting and the 'wish I was at that spot' feeling I get - which, I guess, is the point of painting it, not just technical accuracy.

Hi Newf,

One off the reasons the reference photo caught my eye was the fact that my Uncle had just finished painting the house and shed this nice yellow color. I should post the original reference photo . The hill behind the house is further away then it looks in he scan. You got it right when you said the point of the painting is to make the viewer want to be there. I wish I was there now. You can take the boy out of newfounndland but you can't get Newfoundland out of the boy. You know what I mean?

brrice
04-17-2004, 09:52 PM
A couple of you were trying to understand the hill behind the cabin. I found my reference photo. I thought I would show it so you can get an idea of what I saw originally while on vacation one year,and what my painting ended up being. I had said before I used to strive for photo realism but I feel a little free of that now and I am learning to be more expressive.

ripvanblair
04-18-2004, 05:41 AM
This is sublime, a very nice peaceful painting, very relaxing-----well done-----Alan

shrinkinviolet
04-19-2004, 08:27 PM
I agree, I don't think that I have ever seen all of the clouds in the sky that angle before.
Judy

brrice
04-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Point well taken, I agreed with 1chameleon. I took my expression to the upper limits on the clouds in this one. I got tired of painting normal boring clouds this year and tried something different. I think I will paint normal skys from now on.

Thanks Judy!

Lorijo
04-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Brian, don't you dare just paint boring skies! I like your sky, I have said so before, just because like two people out of ten or so said they didn't like doesn't mean you have to change something interesting and delightful just to please them.

We can see boring skies every day. I love when there is interesting formations in the skies and bizarre colors. Don't just listen to the negative posts.

Have fun painting, paint what you like, what you want! There is always going to be someone who won't like how you do something, or a color you use, don't even try to make them happy. Chances are if YOU like what you do somebody else will too. Lorijo

brrice
04-22-2004, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=Lorijo]Brian, don't you dare just paint boring skies! I like your sky, I have said so before, just because like two people out of ten or so said they didn't like doesn't mean you have to change something interesting and delightful just to please them.

Have fun painting, paint what you like, what you want! There is always going to be someone who won't like how you do something, or a color you use, don't even try to make them happy. Chances are if YOU like what you do somebody else will too. Lorijo[/QUOTE

Your encouragement is appreciated on this one Lorijo. You are right, there will always be someone who don't like some aspect of a painting we do. But,I do try to take all advice and use it to my advantage . This is what I like about wetcanvas . You can throw an image of your work out there and allow it to be analyzed, picked apart, or just admired. I really don't get discouraged by negative feedback but I learn from it and move on. My style is still developing and I will continue to experiment with new ways to express my art. Thanks again for your support.