PDA

View Full Version : evil hair-eating necklaces

DrPam
03-24-2004, 05:35 PM
I find that a lot of the necklaces I make eat hair. A lot of the necklaces I buy (both handcrafted and commercial) eat hair. This lovely necklace (http://www.jenea.com/art/gallery/w3c9_redbeadednecklace.htm) made by a friend of mine is going unworn because, you guessed it, it eats hair.

(For those who don't have long hair and may not get the reference, eating hair is what I call what happens when jewelry gets tangled up in the hair at the back of your neck. Within 20 minutes, a ball of matted nasty hair is a new permanent part of the jewelry design. It sucks.)

So has anyone figured out the secret reason why it happens? And more important, how can we design jewelry that *doesn't* do this?

-Pam (who's not quite ready to shave her head)
http://www.pamarama.com

TheBlueBetween
03-24-2004, 06:23 PM
wow that is a stunning piece! But I can see how hair gets tangled up in it :(

I only have a few necklaces that eat my hair - one is a rope chain and it just snags the heck out of me. Most of my necklaces are fine though....

glitterbead
03-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Would an updo help???

DrPam
03-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Would an updo help???

Heheh yeah, and that's what I do when I wear my evil hair-eating necklaces. I should probably start sporting updos so maybe my friend would give that necklace to me!! As for that necklace, yes, I agree that it is more of a hair-eater than most in terms of design. But even some plain chains with boring clasps that I bought before I started making my own jewelry seem to have the problem. It's not as simple as unsoldered jump rings either... I have some necklaces with unsoldered jump rings that don't eat hair, and some that are all soldered and do. Maybe in the case of simple chains, it has something to do with how much the chain rolls around on your neck??

-Pam

glitterbead
03-24-2004, 08:23 PM
Heheh yeah, and that's what I do when I wear my evil hair-eating necklaces. I should probably start sporting updos so maybe my friend would give that necklace to me!! As for that necklace, yes, I agree that it is more of a hair-eater than most in terms of design. But even some plain chains with boring clasps that I bought before I started making my own jewelry seem to have the problem. It's not as simple as unsoldered jump rings either... I have some necklaces with unsoldered jump rings that don't eat hair, and some that are all soldered and do. Maybe in the case of simple chains, it has something to do with how much the chain rolls around on your neck??

-Pam

I dunno Pam - I would certainly consider shaving my head to wear that necklace!!!!!

mjcall
03-24-2004, 08:32 PM
I really don't wear that many necklaces :D but how about a slight design modification? What would happen if you replaced the last 2 - 3 inches of silver work on each side of the clasp with beads similar to the ones used on the dangles?

Just a thought, it is a beautiful piece, it's to bad you can't wear it.

M_

beclectic
03-24-2004, 09:59 PM
I have long hair and I certainly have evil hair eating jewelry. I've found that wire designs that are open eat hair. Back or front of the necklace or glasses leash it doesn't make any difference. Those cute little spirals, and spiral hearts, hair eaters every one. I have one glasses leash that I gave to a friend because she admired it and she has shoulder length hair. It has links made with those spirals. I liked it a lot but it stayed tangled in my hair. Earrings with those spirals eat hair also. As much as I like them, no more open spirals for me.

You know what else eats hair? Blouses with one button in the back. For some reason my hair is always tangled in that button.

I like my hair long in spite of the drawbacks. Long and straight, I'm just an old hippie. I even still wear tie-dye. :D

DonnaBee
03-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Not only that, but hair eating sunglasses are a problem as well! If you put them on top of your head, as I do, then you are going to pull out some hair if they are the sunglasses with the attached nose grips. Do that too many times, and you will start to have a problem on the same spot on your head, over and over.

You need to get the kind that are smooth plastic by the nose part, no attached parts.

Good thread though regarding the handmade neckpieces, things like this really matter to customers very much, and they might not always tell you.

Ignuss-Fatuus
03-24-2004, 10:29 PM
:evil: shorter hair doesnt get eaten ;) :evil:
at least my hair is short enough that i havnt had that
problem in a long time.
karin

chuckie
03-25-2004, 12:19 AM
I've found that very fine chains and round chains that roll easily are hair eaters. I have a marine link that I've worn every day for 6 years now that isn't a hair eater. It lays flat, doesn't roll. Have you ever got your hair stuck in a round brush? I've never got it stuck in a flat brush. So I don't wear round, rolly chains anymore.

That gorgeous necklace your friend made looks like a Venus Hair Trap... munch, munch, munch...

Char

WillowMajestic
03-25-2004, 12:46 AM
I've found that very fine chains and round chains that roll easily are hair eaters. I have a marine link that I've worn every day for 6 years now that isn't a hair eater. It lays flat, doesn't roll. Have you ever got your hair stuck in a round brush? I've never got it stuck in a flat brush. So I don't wear round, rolly chains anymore.

That gorgeous necklace your friend made looks like a Venus Hair Trap... munch, munch, munch...

Char

That is a good tip! All of my snake chains (round and roll around) eat hair ... maybe it is time to find a box chain or flat chain to try. Smart idea, thanks!

Kari

Retta Gates
03-25-2004, 01:46 AM
Wow! I think I would be willing to sacrifice some hair to that necklace... :)

Patch
03-25-2004, 07:40 AM
That is a good tip! All of my snake chains (round and roll around) eat hair ... maybe it is time to find a box chain or flat chain to try. Smart idea, thanks!

Kari

Good idea but I will have to find one on which we can just slip a bead. Love to wear my snake chain as I change the bead almost everyday even though it's a hair eater.

Patch

lunamoonshadow
03-25-2004, 07:35 PM
A great chain for single beads is a small ball-bearing chain--it's what I wear 24/7 & it never gets tangled in my hair....I just mushed the clasp-loop a little bit & it slips through 99% of the lampwork beads I've purchased!

Some "hair eating" necklaces can be cured by re-stringing them a little looser--an old friend taught me that when I had a chip-necklace that kept ripping out clumps of my hair! A little more space & nothing gets "jammed" in between to get ripped out!

--Lyn