PDA

View Full Version : show us your handmade bags/purses

NewCreation
03-24-2004, 10:45 AM
I don't make them, I just want to see them. If you make bags or purses, please post some!

glitterbead
03-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Amy - I just made a knit sunglasses case from Filatura de Crosa Tokyo yarn (in the color split pea - I LOVE green). I will be finishing (sewing & embellishing) it sometime this weekend and hopefully will post pix for ya.

TheBlueBetween
03-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Yes please! More fiber arts too!

glitterbead
03-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Yes please! More fiber arts too!

JEEEEZ - guess I will have to post pix of my chiffon scarves this weekend as well. They are long overdue!!!!!

Patch
03-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Hi,

What kind of purses would you like to see? Here is one I already have on my hard drive.

Patch

mjcall
03-24-2004, 11:28 AM
Patch

That might be a hard act to follow...Stuning :clap:

M_

Moth
03-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Oh, if you insist! ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/24464-stonespoucho.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/24464-tapestry1.JPG

Yes please! More fiber arts and painted silks and and and!!!

~~Mary

jacki
03-24-2004, 12:52 PM
:clap: This is going to be a FUN thread!
Patch, that is beautiful! What is the scale? Such patience and precision! Very nice design. :) and to answer your question....ALL kinds :D
Mary, I love both of them! Please tell something about the techniques?
Lee----That's a real tease, tell us about chiffon scarves and then tell us we have to wait until the weekend???? :)

Here are some felted purses I have on my computer....the first one is a clutch, about 9 x 15
the next two are the size of fanny paks, made to wear over the shoulder or around the waist. the chartreuse (my favorite color :) ) is reversable.

just as a note for those of you who are not familiar with handmade felt--it can be more structured and formal, my taste just runs toward softer more organic shapes.

Looking forward to seeing lots more!!

WillowMajestic
03-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Jackie,

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a 'mini' tutorial for what you do with felt.... BUT I absolutely LOOOOOVE it :clap: I would enjoy hearing about the process .... if you care to share :D

Kari

Patch
03-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Thank you M and Jacki.

Mary, I visited your web site and love your purses! Wish I was rich, I would get a few!!

Jacki, I love your felted ones... I do felt too, mostly needlefelted teddy bear though... did some felted beads but my daughter convinced me they were kitch(?) so I never did them again. :( The size of my purse: the frame is 3 inches large x about 5 inches long approx.

On Friday I will have more pictures to show you as a magazine who bought one of my tote-purse pattern will hit the newstands.

Meanwhile, if you want some amulet purses, they're coming in a few minutes.
Patch

jacki
03-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Jackie,

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a 'mini' tutorial for what you do with felt.... BUT I absolutely LOOOOOVE it :clap: I would enjoy hearing about the process .... if you care to share :D

Kari

Kari--fortunately (since I am slow AND a bad writer) there is the most wonderful resource for all things felted. Great tutorials and all
http://www.peak.org/~spark/feltlistFAQ.html

Patch
03-24-2004, 01:45 PM
One more beaded knitted purse which is 3.5 x 5 + inches.
The others are older amulet purses made of cotton and lined. The lampwork beads on them were by Heidi Brodersen.
I am sorry but I am no photographer, most of those are bad old scans.

Patch

jacki
03-24-2004, 02:17 PM
Patch! These are precious! I love the scale too. Makes them even more wonderful :clap:

beclectic
03-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Great idea for a thread.

The bags are really nice. The felt so soft and colorful, the beaded frame purse so elegant, Moth's designs so interesting, and Patche's amulet bags so pretty and wearable. Now I have something else to want. Just what I needed. :D

~>Barbara<~

TheBlueBetween
03-24-2004, 04:55 PM
oh thank you for the eye candy! This forum feels like I'm at an arts and crafts show. :clap: :clap:

joycerenee
03-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Beautiful bags!

Yes, please show more! They're all gorgeous! :clap: :clap:

Joy

WillowMajestic
03-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Kari--fortunately (since I am slow AND a bad writer) there is the most wonderful resource for all things felted. Great tutorials and all

Thanks a whole bunch! I will thoroughly enjoy toodling through that link :D Yikes, what have I got myself into now ... please say not another addiction!

Kari

lisilk
03-24-2004, 06:49 PM
These are all so cute. Great purses everyone ! :clap: :clap: I don't use purses but I do have a beautiful glass beaded pouch my friend marilyn traded with me for some horsey scarves. I'll get her permission to post it.

li

somk
03-24-2004, 09:01 PM
Such cuties !...
Jacky, the first one (rainbow) is beautiful !! I love this soft material and fringes !

Patch> Where do you sell them ? They're precious , my precious !

this will be a cool thread indeed :)

Patch
03-24-2004, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=somk]Such cuties !...

Patch> Where do you sell them ? They're precious , my precious !

Somk,

I have a few purses at a boutique named L'Etend'Art in Salaberry de Valleyfield. Need to get in production gear but well, all my free time is spent on the torch, trying to make beads.

Patch

Lara
03-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Here is my purses, old picture, crappy picture, sorry. The first one is crochet with fun and funky yarns, the second is just a plain black cloth purse with my beads sewn on. If anyone knows of a wholesale source for the 2nd purse I would be greatful.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/10029-image001.jpg

Check out this old thread in the glass section.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81566&highlight=purse

Lara

DonnaBee
03-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone for posting these! Great thread Amy! I love unique handbags so much.

All these are gorgeous.

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-25-2004, 09:24 AM
I agree with Donna and now I -too- am going to meander through the felted links! This could be bad....very, very bad...

/chortles with glee!

~D. ;)

artbabe21
03-25-2004, 10:10 AM
FABULOUS work everyone! Sheesh, what talent! I would love to know where you get/ make the felt? I bought some wool sweaters at the thrift store & washed them in HOT water and that felted them.......is this what we are talking about? I was going to make mittens with them. I also found a woman who bought white felt in large bolts & dyed it...I bought some of her squares (very expensive) but I didn't want a whole bolt..LOL...:D

jacki
03-25-2004, 12:28 PM
The felt is handmade--I buy raw wool, some is very raw, some is cleaned and carded, some is dyed. There are many types of wool, some fine like a soft cotton puff (merino) all the way to a very coarse and hairy wool from ancient breeds of fat tailed sheep that were used to make yurts.

To oversimplify, you make the felt by laying out the fibers of raw wool, in very thin layers, alternating the direction of the strands. Then you soak the layers with warm soapy water, for long enough to open the pores of the strands. Tiny hooks along the hair shaft open up. Then you massage the wool to entangle the fibers. Then you roll it up in cloth and a bamboo matt, tie that tightly, and roll it back and forth to "full" the piece. Next you can shock it a bit by putting it in hot and cold water alternately.
So thats it.
You can make shapes "in the round" by using a resist, or make two pieces of a pattern and felt them together, so you can make clothes with no seams. You can make something around a form ie make felt boots by using a rubber boot for the form, make a hat by using a ball for a form.
Or make large vessels by using buckets or bottles for shape, then stiffening them to give them shape.
and on and on :D there seem to be no limits :)
and all that info is available on the felting link, absolutley a weath of info.

Lara, that is a FUN furry purse! :)

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-25-2004, 12:40 PM
JACKI!!!!

God, I'm going broke by the second looking at all the gorgeous colors of roving! This is no good. I can't do more projects, I have enough here to last me a lifetime!

/whimpers and looks at the pretty colors again.

If I cave in and buy a little starters kit to play with, you are in SO much trouble!

LOL...

~Danielle

Shirley C.
03-25-2004, 01:16 PM
oh, this is a fabulous thread! everyone's work is so yummy - great eye candy! especially since i'm sitting here at the public library in my old home town of newington, connecticut - not being able to make any beads or jewelry for the next week or so. wwahhh!

the felt work brought to mind the work of beadmaker gail crossman-moore. here's a link to her gorgeous felt work.

Gail Crossman-Moore (http://www.flyingfrogglass.com/gcmfelt.html)

danielle, i know what you mean about "this could be bad...". boy, do i know what you mean... :rolleyes:

artbabe21
03-25-2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks Jacki for your in depth information on making felt....wow! I never knew all that was involved!! I better stick to using up what I have now or I'll be in deep trouble like Danielle... :eek:

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-25-2004, 01:35 PM
Ohhh, suuuuuuuure Cathleen, just throw me right down the path to evil, why don't you.

LOL!

~D.

artbabe21
03-25-2004, 01:46 PM
Ohhh, suuuuuuuure Cathleen, just throw me right down the path to evil, why don't you.

At least we're having fun...LOL...I just took up knitting those scarves that are so popular right now...Only I am a crocheter not a knitter so I taught myself....AND it's ever so relaxing to me since I can do it while watching TV w/hubby! It's actually easier than crocheting!! :D

I have bags of beads, tubes of paint, hoards of brushes, boxes of stain glass, papers for book making, etc.....ad nausem AND I still am always tempted!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Creativity is an addiction!

glitterbead
03-25-2004, 01:51 PM
oh, this is a fabulous thread! everyone's work is so yummy - great eye candy! especially since i'm sitting here at the public library in my old home town of newington, connecticut - not being able to make any beads or jewelry for the next week or so. wwahhh!

the felt work brought to mind the work of beadmaker gail crossman-moore. here's a link to her gorgeous felt work.

Gail Crossman-Moore (http://www.flyingfrogglass.com/gcmfelt.html)

danielle, i know what you mean about "this could be bad...". boy, do i know what you mean... :rolleyes:

Hi Shirley (waving like a crazy woman)!!!!! We're almost neighbors right now!

Shirley C.
03-25-2004, 07:44 PM
Hi Shirley (waving like a crazy woman)!!!!! We're almost neighbors right now!

hey there, lee! howya doin'? (wavin' back atcha) we'll be even closer on friday - i'm going to peabody, ma. to visit my mom-in-law. :D

glitterbead
03-25-2004, 09:08 PM
hey there, lee! howya doin'? (wavin' back atcha) we'll be even closer on friday - i'm going to peabody, ma. to visit my mom-in-law. :D

Well, I will be in Peabody myself tomorrow!!! Unfortunately, it will be at the Lahey Clinic for advanced mammography and possible biopsy scheduling - blah.....

NewCreation
03-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Beautiful bags y'all. Me Want More!

TroyNC
04-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Beautiful bags y'all. Me Want More!
HEY! You didn't tell me you started this link!!!!!
Here's two that need to have the toggle and glass embelishment sewn on and if you give me a few minutes I'll go and take a pic of the one I made and I'm keeping for myself :p

TroyNC
04-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Lets see some more :cat:

here's the one that I made for myself...for those that haven't felted....and I'm really new to it! Here's a picture of the bag before a washed it and after :eek:

CosmicGW
04-18-2005, 03:24 PM
What a cool thread - glad it resurfaced. Only wish I had something to add - LOL!

Becky

beclectic
04-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Wow those beads are cool and go perfectly with those purses. Thanks for posting these Brandie. How did you keep the slubs from felting in the green purses?

CosmicGW
04-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Lets see some more :cat:

here's the one that I made for myself...for those that haven't felted....and I'm really new to it! Here's a picture of the bag before a washed it and after :eek:

Brandie -

I love this - it looks so nice felted.

Becky

TroyNC
04-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Wow those beads are cool and go perfectly with those purses. Thanks for posting these Brandie. How did you keep the slubs from felting in the green purses?
slubs :confused: I mentioned that I'm new to this right? Just started knitting a little less than a month ago...the beads I've been at for a while :D
ummmmmm, are you talking about the blue yarn? It's not wool.....so it holds it's shape and texture when I wash it....at least I think that's why it does it :cat:

rubytwoshoes
04-18-2005, 05:06 PM
This is one of my "Rubytwoshoes" bags. I have a few left I just haven't taken any pictures. This was my life before beadmaking:

SarahM.
04-18-2005, 05:30 PM
I love them all!!!!! :clap: :) :clap:

Ok.... who's are for sale?!!! Seriously ....

TroyNC
04-18-2005, 07:21 PM
I love them all!!!!! :clap: :) :clap:

Ok.... who's are for sale?!!! Seriously ....

I'm fairly certain that we are not aloud to respond to that in this forum...could be wrong :eek:
If you really want to look for some on sale, I'd say to look at some of the web sites. Most of those that have a web site, have a link to it in their signature, at the bottom of each post :wave:

SarahM.
04-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Good idea~ I think I will :)

jennakate
04-18-2005, 10:48 PM
here's a couple mini-purses from me... these are hand-felted - I just felt the material and it tells me how I am going to sew/embellish it. ...they are just big enough for a few cards and some cash... works awesome for me, though!

jenna kate

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Ok, a few questions for all you Felters here!

One, how durable are the finished felted bags? The reason I ask is because my husband and I do some live action role playing where period style pouches are readily used. I normally make leather ones, but I like the look of the felted ones for some of our other posessions.

Two, how expensive is start up for this project to be able to make a finished product and what would one need to do so?

TIA!

~Danielle

jennakate
04-19-2005, 12:21 AM
to answer your questions...

- the duribility really depends on how thick the felt is and how much you agitate it.... the more you agitate, and the thicker it is, the stronger.

- to start all you really need is some fleece or roving, something to kinda hold it in place while you agitate (such as a bamboomat - i think i saw some in some pictures in this thread), and lots of soap and water. oh, and probably some dye... I'm sure some of the other felters here could give you some more information, as I am just a beginner at this myself....

jenna kate

ps>>here is a link for some basic instructions... Felting a scarf (http://www.nvmdigital.com/crafts/felting.html)

Also, some eye candy that makes me drool! Festive Fibers (http://www.festivefibers.com/)

Archer
04-19-2005, 08:04 AM
There was a felter on Coast-to-Coast Crafts. Made me want to try it. Now I have to! Dang! LOL

Seriously, they are beautiful and very inspiring.

Andee
04-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Hey, how could I miss this thread? GREAT pieces here, cute, fun, beautiful and precious! Thank you all for the eye candy!! :clap:

TroyNC
04-19-2005, 01:20 PM

Two, how expensive is start up for this project to be able to make a finished product and what would one need to do so?
~Danielle

can you knit?
i just learned.....because i wanted to make these bags.
cost?
the yarn...i use 100% wool (anywhere from $8-$35 for a bag, depending on the size and pattern used)
the knitting needles @ $4-$9
a pattern (unless you are good at "winging" it) @$5-$8
your washing machine & a little soap
pillow case to put the bag in, while washing
a pair of jeans and gym shoes (tossed in the wash to help w/ agitation)
:wave:

TroyNC
04-19-2005, 01:23 PM
AMY!

you started this....i know that you made a bag, where is it? share please :cat:

McDuck
04-19-2005, 08:52 PM
oh my gosh such great bags!!! thank you all for sharing and please show us more!

-Mary

sadiesjewels
04-19-2005, 09:41 PM
I just found this thread ... the colors are sooo tempting, but another craft will drive my poor husband over the edge!! What the ...

sadie

bonnycate
04-19-2005, 10:12 PM
i've been lurking a while, and i actually, finally have something to post. these were special orders: one for a friend who wanted a virgen de guadalupe purse and one for someone who just requested something "black with a dragonfly."

love the felted purses!

TroyNC
04-20-2005, 09:35 AM
i've been lurking a while, and i actually, finally have something to post. these were special orders: one for a friend who wanted a virgen de guadalupe purse and one for someone who just requested something "black with a dragonfly."

love the felted purses!

I love the dragonfly!!! is it all seed beads? can I see a close up? :cat:

TroyNC
04-22-2005, 11:44 AM
can I share another?
i just finished one more for my bead show this weekend...this may be my favorite....i love the colors, even though it's a bit "wild" for me :eek:

beclectic
04-22-2005, 12:56 PM
can I share another?
i just finished one more for my bead show this weekend...this may be my favorite....i love the colors, even though it's a bit "wild" for me :eek:

Brandie, this is another great purse. They are just so fun and wild. I love everything about it. The colors, the little bee and the way you used the pink ribbon yarn.

I'm afraid I'm suffering from purse envy. :D

bonnycate
04-23-2005, 06:28 PM
The dragonfly is a freeform using seedbeads, lampwork beads, squares and basically anything else I could find that fit the color scheme and feel of the bug.

Here's a (blurry) closeup.

SusanElizabeth
10-30-2005, 04:59 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2005/70458-DSC05855.jpg :wave:

Hello. I've been knitting for a very long while but just recently started knitting/felting purses. Am I ever hooked! Above photo is one of my favorites. Will post more if anyone is interested. Thank you, SusanElizabeth

BlindCaveFish
10-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Beautiful Purse SusanElizabeth!!!
please show us more!

JoeyW
11-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Hi all! I love looking at all these wonderful fiber art pictures! I don't make them, but my best friend does and I have several of her purses. I so admire those that can sew and make beautiful fiber arts!

Here's a link to her site
http://www.soulseasoning.com/index.php

And links to a couple that were gifts to me from her :) There's a little story there she wrote concerning me on this page too!
http://www.soulseasoning.com/forsale.php?Kitty

And one more. She found out that I never had a Christmas stocking so she made one for me.. (not wearable really.. well you could I guess teehee!)
I own the leapard print one! :clap:
http://www.soulseasoning.com/forsale.php?Boot

Just some more eye candy for the fiber art lovers!

Joey

Shirley C.
11-02-2005, 03:18 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2005/70458-DSC05855.jpg :wave:

Hello. I've been knitting for a very long while but just recently started knitting/felting purses. Am I ever hooked! Above photo is one of my favorites. Will post more if anyone is interested. Thank you, SusanElizabeth

please, please - show us more!!