PDA

View Full Version : Do you make earring wires?

farkel
03-24-2004, 07:29 AM
I saw a wooden jig tool that can be used to make earring wires. Of course now that I'm ready to try that I can't find it in any of my catalogs. Does anyone make earrings from silver wire and can you give me any hints on type of wire, best shape and etc. :rolleyes: Thanks for your help. This has been a wonderful new forum! :)
Fran

joycerenee
03-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Wigjig has some great tutorials on making earring wires & more at their Wigjig Univeristy. I learned a lot about using wire there. Lots of free info & tips:

http://www.jewelry-tools.com/WJU/techniques/index.html

Joy

farkel
03-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Thanks Joy. I'll check out that website.
Fran

glitterbead
03-24-2004, 11:00 AM
That would be Kate Drew-Wilkinson's earwire jig. I own and use one and it is fantastic!!! She sells them on her web site and occasionally on ebay:

http://www.katedrew-wilkinson.com/tools.htm

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Hehehe, I make earwires too, but I don't use a jig at all. I use a pencil!

The best wire for earwires is a 20 ga half hard. You cut your wire, make your eye pin, leave space for wrapping your coiling if you like them adorned that way above the eye pin, then, make a right angle with the wire. About a quarter of an inch past the right angle, wrap your wire around a No. 2 pencil or a plain old Bic (etc..) pen. It's the -exact- size! Makes a perfect loop everytime and there's no eyeballing anything to make sure they match.

Once I discovered that trick, I could've kicked myself for not thinking of it! LOL~ However, it works great. It took me no time at all to cut and wrap up a whole slew of wires so I have something to keep me busy at my festivals. :)

Happy Wiring!

~Danielle

Lara
03-24-2004, 09:19 PM
I do the same thing as Danielle, but use a BIC pen. I learned this in my class with Mark Laudeu ???? spelling???? If you have access to his book, I bet is describes it in there.

Lara

gwacie
03-25-2004, 07:43 AM
I actually like 21GA a little better - not as big to go through the ear.

JMHO.
:)

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Heck, I've never even SEEN 21 gauge. LOL...That's prolly why I've never used it. /chuckle

But I'm sure that works just as well, too. :)

~D.