PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Already S&T 03/24

papiermoonglass
03-24-2004, 01:11 AM
Well we hadn't posted anything in a while, not that we haven't been lurking. Our OC was down and had to get another one, finally came this past Friday. We had a pretty productive past 5 days, here's one set that we put together....Lots and Lots of pink....we called it "Dreaming in Pink and White". It has 49 beads and I'm going to make a surprise 50th bead for it too....

Thom

kybeadmaker
03-24-2004, 01:20 AM
Love those pink beads...I'm in a pink mood too !!
Happy

fay
03-24-2004, 01:29 AM
Yeah! I love pink! Awesome sets Thom and Harriet. Just a few things I have been playing with:

Have a wonderful Wednesday!!

Briatha
03-24-2004, 01:42 AM
Thom scrumptious pinks!
Harriet mouthwatering pinks!
Fay gorgeous array of eye candy...I love the bicone!

Stormy Blue Hyanda Lentils

wildfirelauri
03-24-2004, 02:02 AM
G'morning all!

Thom-very spring like and fresh
Harriet-crisp perfection in your beads and pics as usual
Fay-I especially like the blue and green focal
Faith-I'm a sucker for etched beads

This bead I refer to as the "daily grind" http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/10074-rolleyes1.gif There are sixteen facets around the base.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/10074-cuttingedge2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/10074-cuttingedgesm.jpg

Jacinthe
03-24-2004, 02:05 AM
Great show already this morning! WOO WOO!

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

jujeebeads
03-24-2004, 03:00 AM
Pretty, pretty pink beads both Harriet and Thom!
Fay~ I love the B&W bead!
Briatha~always love the lentils!
Lauri~wow! I love the faceted beads!

Pink is in the air! and so are lentils it looks like. A new frosty set for the bay! The three large beads in the middle are made with my new 7/8" lentil stamp. Peach and pink.

Judy :cat:

JCA
03-24-2004, 05:07 AM
Awesome beads already this morning. :clap: :clap:
heres what came out of the kiln yesterday!!

Have A GREAT DAY ALL!

Teri.p
03-24-2004, 05:32 AM
Honestly,just when you think it can't get any better..... what great works you all have posted today!

Thom - love that set - just goes on and on with the luscious pink!

Harriet - just came here from eBay, had already ogled these beauties... I really like that you include a button with your sets - great idea!

Fay - I like all your beads, but am especially drawn to the zebra + red. Gave me a grin, 'cuz I thought of the "What's black and white and red all over" joke.

Faith - As always, lovely lentils. If you don't mind sharing, what is that blue?

Lauri - I wish I could be a mouse in the corner of your studio - I do so admire your faceted beads, and this is no exception - a beauty!!

Judy - So soft and pretty - but you've got my eyes crossed just thinking of the stringer work- love it!!

And Jim --- Your Fire and Ice beads never cease to amaze me. I particularly like the flames on black - this one with the flames shooting all over the bead is amazing!!

Okay, here are my little babies........ picture s*cks but I just couldn't wait until the sun shines. I've had this idea in my head for a couple of months now that I wanted to make gingham beads, and finally spent the day Monday working on it. I must have made 30 'reject' ones before I figured out how to do this. Now it's got me looking at my glass in a whole new light - how do I combine other colors to make more ginghams?!?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/23019-Image006.jpg

Teri

diva
03-24-2004, 05:33 AM
Lots of beautiful beads so far!

I've been massively busy the last couple of weeks, in a good way: my old partner-in-crime is back after being out of town for several months (yay!!!), so now I'm blowing glass three days a week instead of just one (woohoo!). And the first day of my metal casting class I discovered that I seriously suck at sculpting and carving wax (for example, it melts much faster than glass, even in the wimpy alcohol-lamp flame; and it behaves completely differently than glass when it's in liquid form - who knew? :rolleyes: ), which meant days and days of experimenting and figuring out how to work with the stuff (eventually producing huge amounts of wax shavings, a wax-coated desktop, and four rings which (if everything works) will be silver tomorrow night); and of course I had to squeeze in some torch time, too. :cool: I'm just starting to get caught up on the whole picture-taking thing... Here are some from last week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/32460-DSCN0988a.jpg
A fun little end-of-the-day piece, ~8" high.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/32460-DSCN0979a.jpg
These guys are between 14" and 16"; the shape is still kind of evolving...

And the obligatory bead pic :) , an old favorite in a new favorite color:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/32460-DSCN0989a.jpg

Lynn Larson
03-24-2004, 06:58 AM
Thom, great pinks, such a beautiful set!
Harriet, very elegant!
Fay, I love the organic!
Faith, nummy lentils! Very lickable!
Laurie, the facets are stunning!
Judy, that set looks so delicate!
Mr Booger, fabulous flames!
Teri, I think the ginghams are great!
Diva, love the vessles, way cool!!

I'm getting fired up for some more auctions, here is a sample.

Catwalk
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/20353-catwalk.jpg

Classic elegance
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/20353-classic.jpg

They won't be up until after work.

J Harris
03-24-2004, 08:10 AM
Mornin' to you all! Thanks for showing your beautiful creations!

I've been in a real beadmaking funk lately. It's so easy to get caught up in making sets to sell...and feeling pressure...and then I just shut down. So I'm trying to put the fun back in it and am making beads that I can keep for myself. I really suck at encased florals, so that's what I've been working on this week. Here's some that are far from perfect, but they're progress and I enjoyed making them (which was the best thing). The big one is huge and took over an hour to make, it's 1" wide and just over 1" in length and has eight flowers in it. Phew! I'll keep on trying until I can get crisp clean flowers. Adios...have a great Weds. everyone!

Jan

rosebead
03-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Thanks everybody, that is such a nice way to wake up. Its a rainy [email protected] morning here and everyones beads just make me smile.
Lauri (wildfire) how did you get that great orange color? is that moretti?
P.s. Jan you do not "suck" at florals.

Diane

vintagelb
03-24-2004, 08:34 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/32377-mand1.jpg

hello everyone.. here is something new.. just added beads to the site.. hope every one enjoys spring...

aimee
03-24-2004, 08:40 AM
Wow, what a S&T already this morning. I'm off to work so I'll have to come back and say how wonderful everyone is. I've actually been busy the past few days and even got something on ebay. Have a great day!!!

GinaJ
03-24-2004, 08:46 AM
WOW! Some beautiful beads today, some really different stuff....it's all gorgeous.... Here's mine for today.... Have a good one!!!

kenchunk
03-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Thom - Lovely pink! Is this Gold Pink? I have no luck with pink at all...
Harriet - Mmmmm yummy pink here again! Tell me how to get this soft yummy looking pink please!
Fay - nice twisty. I like your blue-green focal, too.
Faith - I see your beads almost everyday and enjoy them SO much! I wish I could be this productive...
Lauri - Wow!
Judy - great stringer control. I really like this soft color combination. It's perfect for early spring.
Jim - Awesome beads as always.
Teri - Lovely gingham beads.(blue is my favorite color) Keep them coming.
Diva - The first pic is my favorite. I like those fuzzy lines.
Lynn - Beautiful focal. I went to your auction site without looking your last sentence....
Jan - Gorgeous flower beads! They look so real. You do NOT suck at flower at all.
Annie - Nice lattecino.
Aimee - CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!
Gina - Great sets! I cannot believe you are making beads for just a few months.

I have not been having much torch time lately(baby was sick, my other kids are on spring break for 3 weeks!). On top of that my flower beads tend to get wonky lately, too.... So it took me a week to make this simple set.

Sachiko

Judy in MN
03-24-2004, 09:28 AM
Took the boro plunge

It had to happen. First I thought about it long and hard. Then I bought Doug Remschneider's DVD (ordered early so I got a sample of some boro). Then watched the video a few times, fondled the glass samples, and thought about it some more. Finally got off my backside and ordered some Shade #5 clip-ons to protect my eyes while I tested the waters to see if I like working this stuff. Lo! and behold! Auralens has a Glass Alchemy kit that includes the colors from the DVD plus a bunch of clear--I don't even have to think about what to order for my maiden foray into this new venture. Watched the video again but didn't have to wait long for the glass to appear inthe big brown truck--seems like only minutes since I ordered (in fairness, I *do* live in the same state as Mike--but it was still VERY fast order fulfillment). Had plans for last night but luckily they fell through and I was home free. Added a program to my AF-99 kiln with the ASC/3 digital controller, took a deep breath, prayed I had enough O2 in the take and took a plunge.

What did I learn? Dang it takes a long time to melt down (round up) a boro bead on a Minor. It's also much harder to even it out if it's wonky, so laying down the glass straight is important. I also found it didn't spread along the mandrel as I hoped it would so my beads are "tall." Not sure if more head or just a wider footprint is the answer to that.

Looking at the results today, I can see that I was probably a little too gentle (maybe?) flame striking my beads, because they don't have the rich color I was expecting. On the other hand, I have some amber beads I've been hoarding for a while and I believe I just created the perfect beads to go with them--add a little vermiel Bali and a gold bead or two and.....ooooh wow, I gotta get out my jewelry tools!

So without further ado, I'll try to attach a couple snaps of my first boro babies. Sizes range from approximately 5mmx10mm to 10mmx17mm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/10802-1stboroset.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/10802-1stboroclose.jpg

Judy in MN

StefaniBeads
03-24-2004, 09:41 AM
I have not been having much torch time lately(baby was sick, my other kids are on spring break for 3 weeks!). On top of that my flower beads tend to get wonky lately, too.... So it took me a week to make this simple set.

Sachiko

Lovely Show and Tell today, lots of inspiration here to get me out of this chair and out to the torch! You people rock!! :D

But I have to say: Sachiko - For someone with just a few months on the torch, and limited torch time as it is because of little ones, your beads truly amaze me!! You have come a long way in such a short time! Gorgeous florals, and I love the bicones you make too! :)

Jennifer Geldard
03-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Another fabulous show and tell!!
I LOVE seeing all the different glass!
Beautiful blown work, and faceting, and...and... just WOW!
Thanks everyone! You Rock!

Here's a couple going up on the bay today...
I've still been playing with the double rainbow theme, and here's a rare set.
I have serius bead A.D.D... hard for me to make a set.

Ignuss-Fatuus
03-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Im so excited! The show n tell is wonderful today! Plus when I was torching last night I finally refound my favorite color combo ! I sold some beads this past summer / fall that I called midnight oceanic carnival! i spent all this time since then trying to figure out the dang colors I used. I loved them to pieces! I finally got it ! lol im so jazzed anyway here they are sorry they are kinda dusty and its not the best pic...I had about 15 min to clean 30+ beads this morning and get a pic before I had to leave for work so I was a lil rushed ;) I will try to get better pics later...i think all in all I made 30 beads in this combo last night just in different designs :) i love it lol im just tickled i finally found it again.
-karin

AlexM
03-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Wonderful beads and vases everyone!

Jennifer, I think that focal is going to have to be mine! :evil: You've all been warned I'm going to have it at any price!

Here are a couple of mine:

donner
03-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Jen G - can't wait till you get here and show us how you work your magic in glass...fabulous beads!!

I made Sweet Tarts...

dougremo
03-24-2004, 11:46 AM
So many wonderful things and it's still morning! I think it was a good glass nite for everyone. Judy those boro babies rock. They definitely don't look like a first time boro workers set. What color did you use?

Here's some I call "Jellyfish Jamboree"!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/12871-jelly_big.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/12871-jelly_close.jpg

beachbeads
03-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Love those pink beads...I'm in a pink mood too !!
Happy
great show from everyone. What is that transparent looking pink glass Harriet?

Judy in MN
03-24-2004, 12:36 PM
So many wonderful things and it's still morning! I think it was a good glass nite for everyone. Judy those boro babies rock. They definitely don't look like a first time boro workers set. What color did you use?

Thanks, Doug. I used GA Caramel Luster and your recipe for Caramel Latte and Mango Fizz. I didn't get as much color as I expected--probably too timid while striking in the flame? I also have a question about annealing....your recipe card says 960 for 4 hours. Do you start at 1050 to anneal then bring it down to 960 for and soak for crystal growth? Or just leave 'em at 960. I may have missed that in the DVD (or maybe it was assumed because it's more of an intermediate video?).

Judy in MN

Kim Watanabe
03-24-2004, 01:14 PM
Wow, pretty beads.
I have a Lauscha pink that looks like Harriet's translucent pink - don't know if that's what she uses though. I've had several requests now for black and pink - thanks for the inspiration!

I love Doug's new boro combo - I think I need to start playing more with mixing boro colors - that's pretty cool.

Morro Rock and Pismo are my 2 sets - I went to college over there and just love that area....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/35615-41morrorock.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/35615-99pismo.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/35615-99morrorock.jpg

Backyard Beads
03-24-2004, 01:18 PM
GREAT STUFF TODAY!!!!

Jan....those flowers are fabulous

Jen G........good grief.....those are great....AGAIN

Donner.....those colors are incredible. That precision work makes me tired just looking at it! Very nice.

double S
03-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Thom- great pinks
harriet love the lattice bead
fay great texture
briatha WOW lentils
lauri facets, :cool:
Judy lovely peach lentils
Jim incredible fire as always
Teri I want to know how to make that gingham :D
Diva beautiful vases
Lynn gorgoues drops
Jan wonderful flowers, my SIL still is getting comments on her margarita set
Anne great twists
Aimee cute bunny, i tried to make one, it looks like a sick dog
Gina love your colors on the first set
Sachiko great florals
Judy lovely boro
Jennifer I really like that etched look :)
Karin great carnival
Alex beauiful lentil
Donna saw your "sweet tarts" are already sold :clap:
Doug wonderful jellyfish
My fingers are tired ;)
Here are some of my latest. 3 months and still working on it but getting better. Some "galaxy" sets and some fake florals from the post here
Lisa S

Briatha
03-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Faith - As always, lovely lentils. If you don't mind sharing, what is that blue?
Teri

Thanks Teri! The blue is Lauscha Steel Blue and they have been etched for a softer look.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2003/17321-LoveSmilie.gifGlorious eye candy again today!

Toxey's Treasures
03-24-2004, 01:55 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Wow, and double Wow!!! You all are so inspiring. I can't wait to take that class and get my kit next month. Everyone here makes such beautiful beads.

A question or two: Thom and Harriet, what colors did you use to get your pinks? I have heard that pink is hard to come by. ;)

Sachiko, they said you have only been on the torch for a few months, I was wondering how long, you did a great job. I would also like to know what colors of green you used, they are wonderful to look at. :cool:

isle-of-cats
03-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Loving the beads from everyone today !!
Mr. Booger your flame beads are the coolest!!! I love 'em!!
Donna, your beads always make me drool!!!
So many others that are gorgeous, those honey colored boro ones... WOW!
And Jennifer's beads... Incredible...

Here are my beads that I got out of the kiln this morning :D

silverstone6
03-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Wow, another amazing show and tell. Does the creativity ever end??!! In particular: Thom what pink did you use? What a yummy bubble-gum color. Teri - Love the gingham. And Jennifer - SO beautiful. Mouthwatering colors.

Here's my latest, "vanilla Sky". I used Val's Mercury Lustre frit for the metallic dots. Had an interesting effect on the opal yellow, I actually managed to coax a little pink out of it this time. So either it reacted with the frit, or it like the reducing flame I used. More experimenting to do!

Susan W. in Calgary

Linnea
03-24-2004, 04:07 PM
OMG just too many to comment on today,, Love them all :clap: :clap: :clap:
Here are mine for today ,, very very bright,, I need spring soon

Trent
03-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Hello,
Nice beads Ya'll! Here are some squigglies on black. Thank You, Trent.

Xbead on ebay! (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=xbead&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50)

Lori Peterson
03-24-2004, 06:20 PM
I just HAD to drop in here and say TERI - THOSE GINGHAM BEADS ARE AWESOME!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

aimee
03-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Man, I know I said I was going to come back and tell everyone how wonderful they were but where would I even start.

Lots of great color combinations. Teri, I agree with Lori, awesome ginghams. I bet they would look great with some of Anne's plaids.

Steffi
03-25-2004, 03:03 PM
Hi!

Sooooo many beautiful beads around here! I don't have the time to comment them all, but let me say, they are all adorable!

Here are my latest babies (Warning: Thread Hoggie!) and some non-lampwork jewellery:

The first 4 pix are all broken things i have glued together. Including a big flower and my third eye bead ever...

Greetings Steffi

Steffi
03-25-2004, 03:08 PM
And some more (i warned ya!) ;-)

a necklace made of silver wire and my Lionheart-Set, another lampwork necklace with matching bracelet, then a non-finished project (rocaille-flowers on a black satin choker) and finally my contribution to the spring swap in my german bead forum. Sorry for the hoggin'! *oink*

Greetings

Steffi