PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions

RhiannonJ
03-23-2004, 02:32 PM
Question for you all...

I did this painting back in '99 and I'm pleased with it but there's always been one thing that has bothered me with it. I don't like the way that jetty looks. It appears as if it's standing on the water. Any suggestions on how this can be remedied? And if so, CAN I after this long of time. It's not varnished.

Thanks for your input.
Rhi

mairrca
03-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Just want to say this is another beautiful painting. The boat is excellent. Your paintings look so natural.

meowmeow
03-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Lovely painting! The water is terrific.
I kind of see what you mean about the jetty...the only thing I can think would be to darken the water around the edge...give it some reflective depth.
But...I don't know if it can be done now. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to advise you.

Sandy

RhiannonJ
03-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Lovely painting! The water is terrific.
I kind of see what you mean about the jetty...the only thing I can think would be to darken the water around the edge...give it some reflective depth.
But...I don't know if it can be done now. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to advise you.

Sandy

Yea, that might work. We'll see what other people think. I'm feeling it wouldn't be that big a deal. Would just be a few strokes of paint.

Rhi

Marty C
03-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Hi Rhi,
You are certainly putting out quality work. The water in this is very good, as is the boat.

Based on the reflection ( very well done by the way) and shadow of the yacht, there should be some shadow of both the trees and the jetty in the water in the distance, so a little shadow work in the corner may help.

Also, a structure like this jutting out into the water will always generate small waves breaking around it as it is in deeper water, so there should be some white water around the waterline. These two together should help to "ground" the jetty into the water.

VeldaJ
03-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Agree with what's already been said, Rhi. It's a beautiful painting and just a hint of darker shadows and white water at the water line of the jetty is all that's needed.

JamieWG
03-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Rhi, did you use a medium when you painted this? If the painting is unvarnished, you should be able to clean the surface, then rub a little linseed oil over the area with a rag, and rub off all the excess with a dry rag, then paint. If you used alkyd medium, clean the area well and you should be able to add to it with the alkyd medium added to your paint. It seems that all you'll have to do is glaze in the additional shadows/reflections and...voila! When the painting is completely dry, down the road, be sure to varnish it! It is too beautiful a painting to allow it to go unvarnished. :) If you do those quick touch-ups with thin paint and alkyd medium, you can varnish it in a month.

Jamie

RhiannonJ
03-24-2004, 09:27 AM
Rhi, did you use a medium when you painted this? If the painting is unvarnished, you should be able to clean the surface, then rub a little linseed oil over the area with a rag, and rub off all the excess with a dry rag, then paint. If you used alkyd medium, clean the area well and you should be able to add to it with the alkyd medium added to your paint. It seems that all you'll have to do is glaze in the additional shadows/reflections and...voila! When the painting is completely dry, down the road, be sure to varnish it! It is too beautiful a painting to allow it to go unvarnished. :) If you do those quick touch-ups with thin paint and alkyd medium, you can varnish it in a month.

Jamie

Jamie,

No, didn't use any medium when I painted this. I remember spraying it with something but can't remember what I used. It has a bit of a shine to it. I didn't know squat back then. :D What do you suggest I use for cleaning it?

Rhi

RhiannonJ
03-24-2004, 09:47 AM
I dug out the reference photo. As you can see the perspective for that jetty is all wrong. Oh well, I'm not gonna change it now. Looking at the photo do you think just adding some dark reflections around the water would work? This isn't deep water here. Probably no more than a foot deep. We actually beached that boat! :D

Rhi

gnu
03-25-2004, 03:11 AM
well I think you did this great!!
it may help to darken the outcrop a litte, because the detail you have in it(clearer and lighter as well) gives the illusion of it being quite close..
I think this AND the other suggestions (a hint of white would still be realistic, given your smoother sea version- because the reason you don't see much reflection in the ref is the very ruffled surface)) would help lots...
try making some changes on acetate layed on top of the painting first, and see what you like best...

JamieWG
03-25-2004, 07:28 AM
Jamie,

No, didn't use any medium when I painted this. I remember spraying it with something but can't remember what I used. It has a bit of a shine to it. I didn't know squat back then. :D What do you suggest I use for cleaning it?

Rhi

Rhi, not having used medium would make it easy to add additional layers; but not knowing what you sprayed it with makes it tough to know what to do. If you sprayed it with a damar varnish, that should come off with turpentine. It would not, however, be removable with turpenoid or mineral spirits. To remove some of it and not the rest.....I don't know what I would do. To alter a varnished painting, you should remove all the varnish on the painting (no easy task if it's damar), make your changes, wait for it to re-dry, and revarnish. It'd be a lot of work.

Jamie

Marty C
03-25-2004, 08:24 AM
Hi Rhi,
Now having seen the photo I have a couple more suggestions.

You are right re the perspective, in your work the jetty is much larger and as Gill says, too light, bringing it forward. You need to drop the value and even blue it up a tad.

The other thing is that the bottom edge in your work is a hard edge. Hard edges also bring objects forward, and in this case make the jetty float. You need to soften the lower edge to the point where the transition from jetty to water is not really discernible. This will also help to push it back and ground it.
Hope this helps.

Eugene Veszely
03-25-2004, 08:35 AM
This might be just me ...but having the boat facing out of the picture makes it feel a little off balance...I dont know if that is what you intended...or if others feel it too...

RhiannonJ
03-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone. All good suggestions. One of these days when I'm feeling daring I'll take it down and apply a light glaze around the jetty, drop the value of the jetty itself and maybe add a few ripples in the water.

Jamie, what would happen if I just did this directly without trying to remove whatever it was that I sprayed it with? I know it wasn't damar. I won't be making any drastic changes so I'm thinking that it really wouldn't do any harm.

Rhi

JamieWG
03-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Jamie, what would happen if I just did this directly without trying to remove whatever it was that I sprayed it with? I know it wasn't damar. I won't be making any drastic changes so I'm thinking that it really wouldn't do any harm.

Rhi

Rhi, I don't know what would happen because we don't know what the material was. If it was damar retouch varnish, well, folks spray that on to do retouch work anyway. (Not a good idea though, IMO.) I think it's risky without knowing what's on the surface, but if you don't like the painting without making the changes, and you're up for assuming the risk of delamination, discoloration or whatever, then what the heck! :D I tend to be overly cautious about these things anyway.

Jamie

brrice
03-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi Rhi,

I like all the tips so far. This is already a good painting. I have paintings too that just needs something else before I'm satisfied with it. Isn't this forum great for getting other opinions. The boat looks like the front is riding up on a big wave. If you could enhance that big wave effect at the front of the boat; it would define better, why it is raised at the head. This could be the answer along with the suggestion the others made about the waterline. I love the sky and the shoreline. I wonder what a little darker shadows in the trees and grass whould do. Offcourse, you wouldn't want the eye to focus on the shore too much. I love that sky.

Brian

dcorc
03-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Hi Rhi

I'd decrease the contrast on it to push it back, something like this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2004/30792-dccoach.jpg

what do you think?

Dave

RhiannonJ
03-31-2004, 10:29 AM
Hi Rhi

I'd decrease the contrast on it to push it back, something like this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2004/30792-dccoach.jpg

what do you think?

Dave

Good suggestion Dave. I think I'll do that and then perhaps just darken the water around the jetty a bit and leave it be. I like the painting overall but that jetty has always bothered me. :D

Rhi

cincctx
04-01-2004, 12:45 AM
What if you painted a little bit of wave next to it, make it look as if the water is hitting up against the jetty,thats what jettys do the water breaks there.
Just a suggestion.
Cristina

Diane Cutter
04-02-2004, 10:41 AM
This might be just me ...but having the boat facing out of the picture makes it feel a little off balance...I dont know if that is what you intended...or if others feel it too...

Ooohh... I didn't want to say anything before, but I agree. I don't see an anchor line. I felt very uncomfortable about this beautiful little boat the first time I saw it, because I'm just waiting to pick up the pieces on the beach.

Maybe it's there, but I just can't see it. I don't see a line in the photo either.

It is a beautiful rendering, though.

Diane

RhiannonJ
04-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Ooohh... I didn't want to say anything before, but I agree. I don't see an anchor line. I felt very uncomfortable about this beautiful little boat the first time I saw it, because I'm just waiting to pick up the pieces on the beach.

Maybe it's there, but I just can't see it. I don't see a line in the photo either.

It is a beautiful rendering, though.

Diane

Hi Diane,

You can't see the anchor line. It's at the bow of the boat and is hidden from view. The water was only about a foot deep, if that. We actually beached her. No problem, she has a retractable center board. :D Sure wish I still had that boat. She was a sweet little thing but I decided to sell her after my husband and I split up. There was no way I could get her in the water with my little car and she was just too much for me to handle by myself. Someday I'd like to get a little Laser or Sunfish to play around in.

Eventually I'll take the painting down off the wall and make a few minor adjustments, but for now, I'm just gonna leave it be. Least now I know how to correct it. Thanks all for your comments and suggestions! :clap:

Rhi

Eugene Veszely
04-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Look forward to your next go :)