PDA

View Full Version : lentils gone wild, help!

Lisa Jordan
03-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi WAF members! I am looking for some help. I figure there are jewlery makers here so it should be the appropriate place to post. If you would please take a look at my newest beads and tell me if they are beads that can be worked into jewelry. I had a ball making them but also need to counter fun with making a buck. If you find them presentable please give me an idea of what you feel is a good starting price on ebay. These are just different than my norm, so I am unsure of value. They all measure about 25x23x18. (disregard any stray lint!!) Thanks!!

Lisa Jordan
03-23-2004, 02:11 PM
more pics.....

ValorieCox
03-23-2004, 02:21 PM
well, I kind of like them, because they are indeed different, but have a nice flowing form to them. Can you give us an idea of size? I think they would be perfect incorporated into necklaces if they are small (smaller than 12mm) larger I think they would be more difficult.

Val

ValorieCox
03-23-2004, 02:22 PM
oh, now I see the size. Lisa, these are huge! Can you do a hand/scale photo so we can get a better idea? Also had you planned on making matching ones in smaller sizes to go with these focals, or is that too odd? I think you are onto something here Lisa!

Val

TheBlueBetween
03-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Well I LOVE them! I know just what I would do with them too - I would make some peyote tube necklaces and use them as the focal beads. They would be perfect for that! Definitely more of an art necklace than your everyday jewelry. They may also look great in a free form off loom type of woven seed bead necklace.

Can't help with pricing - I guess that is what ebay or just beads would be good for - I would think you could get $20 or more for each of them.

debkauz
03-23-2004, 02:50 PM
I don't do peyote as I am needle challanged, but I have a friend who does chrocheted (?) bead ropes and does dangly things on the ends. I can seem them on one of her ropes. I think they would need to be part of something kind of big and chunky. Pretty cool beads! Val's got it right--very nice flow to them.

Debbie

TheBlueBetween
03-23-2004, 03:03 PM
yeah, crochet would do the same thing. I have not figured out how to get past the first row with crochet though. :(

Foofaraw
03-23-2004, 03:20 PM
If it helps any, I had a lentil sorta almost kinda maybe not similar to yours, all I did was twist either side and the person who bought it loves it, she is incorporating it into a necklace.

Let me go find the picture, it's different, but a lentil with many less twists.

ValorieCox
03-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Ooh, I like Debbie and Pam's idea of designing the necklace to follow the flow of the beads. I don't know what materials/construction, but I can image a fluid scroll-like structure design with silver or smaller beads, which would compliment your great shapes. Very fun Lisa!

Valorie

(rough sketch shows one large bead, and smaller bead, in detail)

TheBlueBetween
03-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Hi Val, I can see your design working wonderfully too! Kind of a loose multi-strand garden type of construction.

What I was talking about is more like these: http://www.flyingfrogglass.com/gcmjewelry.html

Really, I'm sure the options are endless... these beads could definitely be made into a beautiful piece of jewelry!

beclectic
03-23-2004, 03:51 PM
I love those beads. One that was sea colored would make a great focal for our 'Under the Deep Blue Sea' Project. I think they have good design possibilities for jewelry. Compare prices for focals of a similar size on ebay to get an estimated price. They could also be used as fan pulls.

They just look like fun.

~>Barbara<~

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Personally, I look for beads with lots of texture, organic shapes and concepts. So ideally, I would most likely use them in a piece, although the only factor for me (speaking in terms of Bangles and Bracelets) is how bulky there are on the wrist and if they sit on the skin comfortably. Although, I can build a wire "nest" for them so they don't touch the skin, but anyhoo, enough of my rambling.

I vote YES!

/chuckle

~Danielle

TRE
03-23-2004, 04:20 PM
They would also make fab pendants..

jacki
03-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Lisa, I always love your beads, and these are really special! They should be a delight for a designer to work with. Both Vals sketch, and the thick beaded or crocheted wire ropes would show them off beautifully! Congratulations on a great concept.

bjcohan
03-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Lisa, I LOVE them. I think Val's concept is the best suggestion of all those in this thread.

I would use the biggest one as a focal pendant with a loooooong multistrand tassel coming out of it and either a single strand or multistrand necklace of coordinating bead soup.

The beads are STUNNING.

Keep pushing that envelope. You're coming up with gorgeous stuff!

Barb:cat:

Lisa Jordan
03-23-2004, 07:04 PM
Thank you all for your input!! Val, here is your requested hand pic. I threw them onto a leather cord to show where the holes are. I love your drawing btw. Barb, I can picture what your saying...but I've seen your beautiful work in person! How about any name help? I HATE naming beads for ebay!!
Lisa

Patch
03-23-2004, 07:29 PM
I love your beads. I received as a gift a bead about the same size as yours and as I wanted to wear it, I mounted it quite simply. Sorry for the bad scan, I don't have a camera but that can give you an idea.
As for pricing, I know next to nothing about it.

Patch

lunamoonshadow
03-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I'd use them :)
I'd even bid on them if I had a job (I got laid off...and I'm in a cast for 6 weeks--great for getting job offers, ya know)
I'd do something like what I've done with some of Allison Turner's lentils (& posted on other threads here...sorry it's a BAD scan--i don't have a camera!)
with it.
I'd think the "hemp" people would like them too!
--Lyn

!Karen
03-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Those are beautiful. I really like the undulating flow they have.

Names....hummm.... those are kind of difficult to describe,

You could release them as a series. Names that come to my mind when I look at them are:

serpentine
whirlpool
contortion (yea I'm weird, I know)
orbit
and one of my favorite words, ethereal.

They'll be great whatever you name them, I like, lots!!

:) Karen

Lisa Jordan
03-23-2004, 11:30 PM
Karen,
Yea!! Just about to list them and I'm going to use all the names you provided! Send me a PM with your addy so I can send you a little something for your efforts. Thank you!
Lisa

!Karen
03-24-2004, 12:46 AM
Oh wow, wow, somthing from Lisa!! Too cool, thanks...

racing off to pm you and bid on whirlpool!!

Karen

beclectic
03-24-2004, 08:18 AM
I'd use them :)
I'd even bid on them if I had a job (I got laid off...and I'm in a cast for 6 weeks--great for getting job offers, ya know)
I'd do something like what I've done with some of Allison Turner's lentils (& posted on other threads here...sorry it's a BAD scan--i don't have a camera!)
with it.
I'd think the "hemp" people would like them too!
--Lyn
I really like that woven effect. The colors are great, really pretty.

Sorry about all the awful stuff (laid off, cast). :crying: I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, eyes too if that would help. :)

~>Barbara<~

beclectic
03-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Thank you all for your input!! Val, here is your requested hand pic. I threw them onto a leather cord to show where the holes are. I love your drawing btw. Barb, I can picture what your saying...but I've seen your beautiful work in person! How about any name help? I HATE naming beads for ebay!!
Lisa

Names - Left to Right around circle
1. Cafe au Lait
2. Ocean Motion
3. In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
4. Glitteratti
5. Ribboned Glitteratti

Addendum: I didn't see that they were already named. I love nameing beads and things so better late than never.

Lisa Jordan
03-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Ohhhh Barbara, I love "ocean motion", I'm going to use that one!!!!!!!!

debkauz
03-24-2004, 05:09 PM
Somehow I would call them the 'Jade Mountain' series. Don't know where that came from, but it's just what I think every time I see them. they are gorgeous!

debkauz
03-24-2004, 05:11 PM
yeah, crochet would do the same thing. I have not figured out how to get past the first row with crochet though. :(

Me either! If someone does 3 rows for me, I can go forever but I can't get it started. A friend of mine finally figured it out and is doing bead ropes like mad. I am going to sit down with her and finally learn to start the darn things. It's fun and fast--if someone else starts it. :o

Deb