PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday 3/23 Show and Tell

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-23-2004, 11:11 AM
Morning all!

I think I've got a bit of a cold I got sacked with, so I don't know how much I'm going to accomplish today. But I did manage to finish beating this bangle into submission last night. It turned out pretty well I think. I wanted to do something special with this lentil I won on the bay made by Tracy at OCD Lampwork. No matter how many times I tried to photo that lentil, the pics still don't do it justice. It's gorgeous.

Anyhoo, here's today's bangle, titled, "A Turtle's World"

Enjoy!

~Danielle

lissadivamama
03-23-2004, 11:22 AM
I love this bangle, Danielle! ? on the hammered wire that wraps around the lentil...did you curve the wire, then hammer the curve, then wrap around the bangle? It's okay if this is a trade secret! ;)

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Yes, Melissa, I did form the curves first and then hammer them. I tried it once doing the opposite, but it's almost impossible to get the wire to curve properly after it's been hammered and hardened in any direction w/o marring the silver and making a mess of it. Soooo, when I make the cureve, I make it a little tighter than I need it, because when you hammer the silver, it tends to spread out a little.

Then I did the wrapping...carefully! It was a chore, that one took me all day yesterday, wrestling with it.

Thank you, I'm glad you like it!

~Danielle

beclectic
03-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Danielle, I love the way you designed the wire to hold the lentil flat so it didn't twist around on the wire when worn. It is so satisfying when form and function come together. BTW, that lentil is georgous and the way you set it it looks like the bead was designed for your bangle.

Outstanding.

~>Barbara<~

Beads-Me!
03-23-2004, 02:21 PM
What a great bracelet Danielle!

mjcall
03-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Yet another beautiful bangle Danielle. I too like how you have captured the lentil, form follows function.

Here is a set I made for my DW to celebrate “Just Because I Love Her Day”. Actually I after I made the focal I decided it needed a home.

M_

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Thank you all for all the compliments! I'm really happy with that bangle and the showcasing of the lentil, so I'm glad you all see it with the same vision as I do. That's always the true test. Art is subjective, as you all know too well.

Mike, that set is once again, a beauty to behold. Your wife must certianly enjoy being showered with beautiful jewels! My husband is a chef, so I get showered with racks of ribs, hunks of beef, filets of fish, and if I'm really lucky, a stray lobster or crab claws...but believe me, that hasn't happened in about a year now. My last gift was 3 racks of ribs for the freezer.

Romantic, eh?

/wink

~Danielle

lisilk
03-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Beautiful bracelet Danielle.

MJ- I esp. love those earrings.

I have to start on wall hangings soon :rolleyes: so here's a few quickie scarves before the hard work inundates me.

Cheers,

Li

beclectic
03-23-2004, 04:03 PM
<snip>

I have to start on wall hangings soon :rolleyes: so here's a few quickie scarves before the hard work inundates me.

Cheers,

Li

All lovely but I'm a sucker for leaves and the colors in the one with the leaves - Wow, a joy to behold and probably to have too. :D

~>Barbara<~

jacki
03-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Danielle ----Love that wire work! Such a great design for that lentil :)
Mike-You have probably made life difficult for a few guys today :D Raising the bar :D :D Beautiful set!
Li, I am so happy to see some of your scarves!! Beautiful! I am so envious of your painting skills! The "birds" are gorgeous! my favorite today is the leaves. :)
I'll drop in another fiber offering.
These are scarves, :) merino wool, felted into silk chiffon, with lots of inclusions--very light, and soft as down. I call them "wraps", they make a great turban--sort of like wearing a tiara around the house, they make you feel like Hedy Lamar :D

glitterbead
03-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Jacki & Li ~ your work is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!

(can either one of you adopt me pleeeeeeze?!?!)

lisilk
03-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Thank you Barbara and Jacki. The "leaves" scarves are very popular. I do them with a variety of different colors.Those are batiked.

Jacki- Your felting scarves and wraps are just gorgeous. I love the tactile textures and rich colors. :clap: Perhaps you could do a WIP or article on how you make them. I really have no idea how felting is done. I also wear them as head wraps a lot but I look more like Lucille Ball than Hedy Lamare. LOL.

Li

Thank you Glitterbead. We must've cross posted.

nicker
03-23-2004, 04:35 PM
It's my first post in this new forum. I must say I love your scarfs ladies! Someday I fancy myself a scarf wearer. This are a coupl eof necklaces I did for a show last weekend. NOTHING sold! I am now in a funk. My beads aren't selling, my jewelery isn't selling, my horse isn't sold! I digress sorry. Here's my pic guys!

lisilk
03-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Nicker, don't get too discouraged. Fine art/ craft shows are sooooo unpredictable. Maybe think about changing your presentation. The way your booth looks can make all the difference. I think there is a thread here about that subject.

I know a woman in my town that would scoop up both of your pieces in a heartbeat, loves anything horsey. I esp. like the colors of the delicate one on the left.

Cheers and thanks,

Li

joycerenee
03-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Great work everyone! I really love those scarves! :clap:

I thought I'd throw this one in. It's a formal piece, but it's not heavy. It's meant to "drape" from your collarbone & has a Sterling chain & clasp for the back. It's all Sterling with 6 one carat round Mozambique garnets, 12 half carat marquis peridot, two 2 carat heart shaped Mozambique garnets, and one 5.75 carat pear shaped natural green Topaz.

Joy

lisilk
03-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Beautifully elegant Joy. Bet that looks amazing on.

Li

beclectic
03-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Great work everyone! I really love those scarves! :clap:

I thought I'd throw this one in. It's a formal piece, but it's not heavy. It's meant to "drape" from your collarbone & has a Sterling chain & clasp for the back. It's all Sterling with 6 one carat round Mozambique garnets, 12 half carat marquis peridot, two 2 carat heart shaped Mozambique garnets, and one 5.75 carat pear shaped natural green Topaz.

Joy

OMG, that is fit for a queen.

So many pretty things, so little money.

~>Barbara<~

jacki
03-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Beautiful Joy! Wonderful design, and peridot is my favorite :clap:

joycerenee
03-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Thank you guys so much! Vining branches are a recurring theme in many things I do, including embroidery. Don't know why, I just like way it "moves". :)

Joy

Noah
03-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Such gorgeous work today!

Danielle, I love that bangle -- you're right, the lentil is breathtaking, but I love the way you've picked up all the subtle shades from the lentil in the rest of the beads around the bangle.

MJ, what a beautiful necklace, your wife must be thrilled :) I always think gold and blues make such an elegant combination.

Li, those scarves are so pretty! Those shadings in the two on the right are so delicate looking -- just makes me want to touch them :D

Jacki, I have to admit, I've never had an urge to wear a turban before today! :D Yours are so wonderfully summery and cheerful

Nicker, I'm sorry you didn't have a good show; that's such a lousy feeling! Your work is beautiful, though, and I agree with Li, I can think of a couple of people here who would love to have them (granted, I'm in a fairly horsey area of the US ;) )

Joy, all I can say is WOW! I never go anywhere that requires formal jewelry, but I would buy that one just to look at! I love the way the silver looks as if it's grown naturally that way; it just seems to flow into the "leaves"

artbabe21
03-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Beautiful work everyone!! :)

Danielle, you are such a wonderful addition to WC and what a character!

I have dabbled some in jewelry making (daughter is a goldsmith) but oils is my focus now....why is it we want to do it ALL??????

This is my Mermaid bracelet.........then followed by my funky assemblage pieces bracelet...:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2004/7568-dscn2691-mer_bracelet.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2004/7568-dscn2681-funky_bracelet.jpg

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-25-2004, 10:58 AM
<snip>

Danielle, you are such a wonderful addition to WC and what a character!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2004/7568-dscn2681-funky_bracelet.jpg

Heheh, why thank you! I hope that's a good thing.../chuckle

And I must say, I absolutely ADORE that last bracelet. It's SOOO cute! I have a friend who does Americana/Folk Wood Crafts/Art, and I bet she'd really love that. It's so sweet.

:)

~D.

jacki
03-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Cathleen--All three bracelets are great! (I saw the one in the other thread :) My favorite is the assemblage piece! It's very charming. I'll bet when you wear it, people always want to touch it :)

toozygoot
03-25-2004, 12:10 PM
What a beautiful Show & Tell and such variety!

Li - the bird of paradise scarf is to die for! My favorite colors and just beautifully done!

Jacki - love your techinique! It comes together wonderfully!

Danielle - great bracelet! ANd thanks for getting us over here!

Nicole - love the hammered copper! Really nice element!

Joyce - that piece must look super around someone's neck! I love the airy, delicacy of it!

Artbabe2 - that bracelet is just so cool!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: Kudos to everyone!

pat

artbabe21
03-25-2004, 01:33 PM
Cathleen--All three bracelets are great! (I saw the one in the other thread :) My favorite is the assemblage piece! It's very charming. I'll bet when you wear it, people always want to touch it :)

Oh, thank you & yep.......especially KIDS want to touch it, after all I stole their game pieces!! LOL......I'm in awe of what YOU do!!

Noah
03-25-2004, 07:25 PM
Cathleen, love that assemblage bracelet! :clap:

DonnaBee
03-25-2004, 08:06 PM
Cathleen! :clap:

Gameboard pieces! Oh, I love it!

artbabe21
03-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Thanks SO much Noah and Donna!! It was awfully fun to do...one of the bracelets was in Belle Armoire's first issue but it was so small I couldn't even find it...LOL...:)

DonnaBee
03-25-2004, 09:02 PM
one of the bracelets was in Belle Armoire's first issue

I have a couple of the issues, but not the first one. I will hopefully get a back issue at some point! :) Which bracelet was it?

artbabe21
03-25-2004, 10:11 PM
I have a couple of the issues, but not the first one. I will hopefully get a back issue at some point! :) Which bracelet was it?

What a pain to find....it wasn't any of these but a silver bali bead bracelet on page 75 w/it wrapped around pink tulle...it's one I wear all the time, each bead a different design & it's SO cool....will take a photo tomorrow.

DonnaBee
03-25-2004, 10:34 PM
I really look forward to seeing it, Cathleen!