PDA

View Full Version : Off to Japan

VieSaintSo
03-22-2004, 03:49 PM
:clap: so, on the 14th of April i and 59 others; painters,sculptors, musicians, poets, journalist and business peolpe are off to the land of the rising sun.
It is a cultural exchange trip.between Québec and Japan. Some 60 Japeness came here in october, now its our turn.
Anybody has been there?
Any thoughts or suggestions....?
by the way i don't eat fish or sushie...... :evil:
so...i'm very excited by this trip wanted to share with you nice people and also any feedback! yes i know to remove my shoes :p when entering a house...
if you got good adresses...what ever....i will be in a small village near Nagayo. :D

Michael-Ann
03-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Sylvie that is so awesome! I have no advice...never been there, would love to go! I have a friend who went for some martial arts deal and she brought back some of the most beautiful pictures!...okay, that is my advise, take lots and lots of pictures...creative fuel when you get home.

~m

heh
03-22-2004, 09:26 PM
hooray!!
take many many photos and show us them
and have fun :D

heh
03-22-2004, 09:28 PM
and get your heart filled up up up

VieSaintSo
03-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Yep Michael and He, pictures will be taken!!! :)

Tamana
03-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Here you go, Sylvie. I've highlighted the areas of importance....

Here are few things that you need to do on the first date to win the heart of a Japanese man:

Keep the first date as informal. It is perfectly fine to have a cup of coffee or may be a beer after work. Try to avoid a weekend date that can mean several hours. The reason is simple: give yourself and him a chance to better understand what it is all about. It is very likely that this may be his first date with a non-Japanese girl and same for you too.

Dress well. While most foreign women will not generally dress like the Japanese girls, but showing up in faded jeans and sneakers is not a Japanese man's idea of a date. You do not have to wear expensive clothes but make sure you look clean, organized, and show that you care about your body.
Be yourself. Do not try to be a Japanese because that is not the reason this man has agreed to date you.

And my personal favorite...

Behave like a woman. Japanese men expect them to be men and also expect women to be women. Bring out your feminine side in the best way you can. It could be the way you dress and also how you present yourself and talk.

Do not expect a lot. It is very likely that this gentleman may be more nervous than you are. If he does not know your language well, things could be even more complicated. Be patient and treat the first date as a 'get-to-know-each-other' opportunity.

After the first date has gone well and the Japanese gentleman has called you to go out again. The tricky part is to determine if he is sincere about it or if he is just being polite. In Japan, one thing that is avoided at all costs is causing embarrassment to others. For instance, you might hate the other person and would never want to be with that person again but you just don't make the other person feel that way. You would still call and say how good the date went and how much you enjoyed the other person's company. The Japanese people have a keen sense and it is not difficult for them to figure out exactly what is going on. On the other hand, if you are a non-Japanese, you will have to read the signs carefully. Here are some guidelines:

If you don't hear from the guy at all for a long time or if he sounds as if he is just being polite, just do nothing but be polite. It will come to an end without any problem.

If the guy calls and you sense sincerity the first time, find an excuse and ask him to call again (tee hee)

If he does call again and sounds even more sincere, this is your last chance since you might be embarrassing him if you do not go. So allow some more time and you can take it relatively easy in this case.

While MYNIPPON still advises you to dress well and act as a woman would do, you can treat him as a friend and even show some emotion. Regarding any intimacy, remember that it is not acceptable in the Japanese society to express physical affection in public. While some adventurous Japanese may try to shake hands with foreign people, they will simply not do the same with other Japanese people. Thus, MYNIPPON believes that holding hands or kissing is probably unlikely to happen especially if you go to a place where there is not a lot of privacy. In any case, do not expect him to make the first move even though MYNIPPON has been telling you to be more feminine elsewhere. Insofar as what might happen in the bed room, it is too early to think about and MYNIPPON will address those issues in a subsequent article.

This date is a good opportunity to know your date a little more intimately. Japanese men are not great communicators and typically Japanese men will not talk about their feelings with someone they do not know very well. What that means is that a lot of the answers would have to be obtained indirectly and you will find out the answers in a couple of days as you get some time to reflect and make sense of the remarks.

What?!

oopsa: forgot the site!

http://www.mynippon.com/romance/jlover.htm

Gonzalo Golpe
03-23-2004, 07:04 AM
(Tam, what a wonderful link you´ve put hahaha :D )

Very good luck Sylvie!!So lucky to go there, hope you steep yourself in japanese culture :D

Zalo ( :D hey, this smile looks like a happy japanese)

...... :confused:

VieSaintSo
03-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Tam,
i will show this to my husband,so he won't worry about me having to much fun away from him!!!! :evil:
Me that has a hard time holding my first thought before it comes out of my mouth :eek: this will be an experience indeed, for me and for them....!!
Thanks Tam Tam ;)
Zalo, yep! you have a good point! :D :D

arourapope
03-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Wow! What an opportunity. Have a great time!!!! I have been there, but I was little. I remember seeing the temples, I got to ride a baby elephant, and there was a little monkey that ran around in the gardens outside of the hotel. :) That's probably not much help to you though.

VieSaintSo
03-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Aurora, Cool story though! ;)

Tamana
03-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Here, Sylvie. I bought you a new dress (Japanese Kimono) for the occassion.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2004/18021-Kimono.gif

VieSaintSo
03-23-2004, 11:22 AM
How sweet Tam! but you know i have a problem with pink!! :p
and...well...it looks a bit small for me.....got anything in black? hi! hi! hi!!! :D

Tamana
03-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Sheesh; Canadians, so damned particular. How was I to know the 'innocent' look wasn't what you were going for? Here, 'guaranteed' to get you Japenese man. Just don't forget to ACT LIKE A WOMAN and learn to differentiate between a 'polite & genuine' ogle. Now, stop whining.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2004/18021-Black_kimono.jpg

VieSaintSo
03-23-2004, 02:53 PM
The old EL Vira(or Veera??)look!!!! i love!!!!!!! :evil:
you crèzee américannne, you! :p

Michael-Ann
03-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Hey Now! You wear sumthin like that and I say infatuation whilst not be gender specific!

Tamana
03-23-2004, 03:13 PM
Just when you think you've pleazzzzed everyone...

ZOTMA
03-23-2004, 05:44 PM
wish I were coming too
I haven't been there but my brother is actually there right now
he comes back telling stories of fantastic temple gardens,
intense sights, and interesting people
he says you really have a huge advantage if you know some japanese
not only to get around and communicate with but also to be able to experience the people more (there are some western superficialities, avoid those when you can and encounter the culture when possible)
there's more yummy stuff to eat than sushi (though I'll take yours that you're passing up)
my brother actually brought a compass this time (he's his groups official navigator) apparently the maps and understanding where everything goes can be perplexing. given you're in a group, getting around might be easier, dunno.
if I were you, I would absorb all I can; try to not get caught up in the group personalities and be more inclined to exposing myself to the big picture or the small garden or the silent temple or the breathtaking view (etc etc etc).
do lotsa art, enjoy yourself

VieSaintSo
03-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Michael-Ann, shhhhhhhhh
don't say anything.... God knows what else Tam Tam will make me wear!(i will bring jeans!) ;)

Zotma,
You bring good points. I have a good feeling about it....since we are hosted by Japanese, familys and business people and artists, i think i will be able to taste the real Japanese life, well...as close as possible.
Not THAT close Tam!
Also i expect to detach myself from my group, and go on my own or with a friend to some bigger citys...the only problem...is that it so so expensive;hotels...but i found out you can stay in Youth Hostels (even if I havent benn a youth in a while....hum hum) so it is more afordable....The lodging is paid for when i stay in the little village we are being hosted in, but of course, not the rest of Japan!
I wil absorb and absorb more! Thanks Zotma. :)