PDA

View Full Version : High and Dry at Low Tide

VeldaJ
03-22-2004, 12:41 PM
My thanks to Watercolour Del for the superb reference photo in the Library which I found absolutely irresistible. This is Watercolour, W & N on 140lb Acid Free NOT paper. C & C Welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2004/8538-Andrea_and_Dinghy_L.jpg

mairrca
03-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Very nice velda...for some reason I love that line going from the back of the boat to the water on the left....and the water drops. Looks perfect. Boat and the reflections are well done too.

Alan Cross
03-22-2004, 11:54 PM
Hi Joy this is very nice but I get the feeling the color balance is off is it brighter in real life?
Alan :)

bairam
03-23-2004, 02:04 AM
Another nice painting Joy. Is this also an acrylic? I love the reflections in the wet sand.

Marty C
03-23-2004, 03:12 AM
Hi Joy,
This is a really nice piece, I can see why you found the scene irresistible - it is rare to see a yacht fully exposed like this, it's almost vulnerable looking. Nice job on the rowboat perspective and reflection in the foreground.

JamieWG
03-23-2004, 07:32 AM
Velda, what a peaceful scene! It does look a bit dark in value and cool in color; is it an evening scene?

Jamie

VeldaJ
03-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks Marion, yes I was quite pleased with how the seaweedy rope turned out. It gives the impression of the tide having not long dropped.

You're so persceptive, Alan. It's definitely in the photographic image. The colours come up fine in Photopaint but they appear much darker on the forum. I'm afraid I'm not technical enough to know why.

Thanks Maria. No not acrylics, this is a watercolour.

Thanks Marty. Yes, I know what you mean about her looking vulnerable. We used to own a small cabin cruiser and I hated it when she was either lifted out or simply dried out on the bilge keels.

As I said to Alan, Jamie - it's not quite so dark as it looks on the forum but I would say that the reference photo is probably an evening scene. It has that feel about it.

Thanks all of you for your interest and for taking the trouble to comment.

Leaflin
04-11-2004, 07:06 PM
This is lovely Joy :)
It does have the feel of being near the end of the day after the tide has gone out.
Great job on the reflections!

imlayte
04-11-2004, 08:36 PM
I'll go with early evening. The sun has gone behind the hill and a thick fog giving just enough light to enhance some of the superstructure. Nice job.

Howard