PDA

View Full Version : Monday 3/22 Show Me Your Beauties!

Beads-Me!
03-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Here's one my buddy and I made last night. I forgot I had these whatevertheyare's and when I found them I knew they would look great in a spring necklace for my friend Marie. So last night when she came over we threw this together - I love how it turned out! Spring Break - HERE WE COME!! :D

DonnaBee
03-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Nancy, this is just a wonderful "Spring" necklace! It's very fresh, striking and alive! That is just the sort of thing I would wear.

TheBlueBetween
03-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Oh it does say spring - very pretty! (and spring break sounds great too!)

Here is mine, a bad photo, but I have to get going to my son's speech class and we are late... I made the beads yesterday and put the necklace together last night - it's #4 in my Chunky Monkey Art Glass Necklace series. What a long name, hu? LOL. Anyway, this one reminds me of Belize. And would also be great to wear on a spring break ;)

jacki
03-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Nancy, I really like that clean meandering line weaving thru that necklace! Nice idea :)

I have been hoping to see some fiber artists posting in this thread!!! I know there are lots of you out there-- come on out :)

This is one of my scarves from last year. Cant get the sewing machines out now, glass everywhere. :D It is dyed using several techniques, LWI, painted, screened, stamped, discharged, wax resist, and foiled. (dichro for silk painters :D ) The "frills" are applied with gold thread to add a bit more glitz.

Beads-Me!
03-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Oh my gosh Jacki!! That is GORGEOUS! And just my colors too!! :D

Dagg
03-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Hello to all!

....Wow! Really nice necklaces.
Here my new one from last night. :)

McDuck
03-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Great jewelry guys! Hey Jacki! I thought those were pants at first,prior to reading the post. I thought what funky fun full of sunshine pants those are! :rolleyes: scarf hmmm...still like it though! LOL -Mary...errrr...McDuck

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-22-2004, 04:41 PM
LOL, I thought they were pants too until I read the post.
Gorgeous however, I wouldn't mind having that in my closet..or on my body!

~D.

jacki
03-22-2004, 05:58 PM
:D :D Geez....glad you mentioned that! I'll remember that next time I am taking pics. I dont think you ever see something you have done as objectively as others. A good lesson learned. :)

somk
03-22-2004, 06:22 PM
So many shiny things, I'm turning slowly into a magpie... :D

Daggy> this ROCKS ! Did you make the beads as well ? such vivid colours.... yum !

Kerensamere
03-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Nancy, I really like that clean meandering line weaving thru that necklace! Nice idea :)

I have been hoping to see some fiber artists posting in this thread!!! I know there are lots of you out there-- come on out :)

This is one of my scarves from last year. Cant get the sewing machines out now, glass everywhere. :D It is dyed using several techniques, LWI, painted, screened, stamped, discharged, wax resist, and foiled. (dichro for silk painters :D ) The "frills" are applied with gold thread to add a bit more glitz.

Wow! I used to marble scarves and I thought that was a fun process but your list of processes for one scarf is amazing! So are the results. That's beautiful! Keep on posting those textiles, just 'cause I make jewelry doesn't mean I'm walkin' around naked with a necklace and some earrings on!

-Jen

Wire Mania
03-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Really nice scarf...I love the colors.

Laura Brito
03-22-2004, 11:43 PM
I JUST adore your Shawl! It is so lovely. The colors are just magificent!

lisilk
03-23-2004, 01:06 AM
I'm so enivious of all you talented jewelers since I don't have a clue on how to start.

Jacki- Wow, you've been holding out on me ! Your scarf and dye work is gorgeous. :clap: I better get crackin' and learn some new techniques. LOL.

great work everyone.

Cheers,

Li

jacki
03-23-2004, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the kind words !! I am so enjoying this forum--isn't it great to see finished pieces in different styles and media :clap: :clap:

earthenwood
03-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Hi all! Great work everyone!
I haven't worked on jewelry for a while, but this is a new piece I made to show the PMC and porcelain pendant I made. I wanted to have an example of using PMC on my porcelain face cabs to show at the Bead Bonanza this weekend...

TheBlueBetween
03-23-2004, 03:07 PM
ooh PMC! Now that is something I've been meaning to play with. I have some, but I'm chicken to pull it out. I've got the 3 year old and I don't think he will let me play with clay without him and I'm afraid between him playing with his clay and me playing with mine, mine will get all dried out. Plus I won't be able to focus.

I need to plan a PMC play date with myself and get hubby to take Luke out to the zoo some time soon!

lisilk
03-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Love that necklace. Excuse my ignorance, is PMC polymer clay ?

Li

TheBlueBetween
03-23-2004, 03:24 PM
PMC is precious metal clay - you fire it in a kiln (or with a torch with the newer versions) and all that is left when it's done is .999 silver! It's great for setting glass or ceramic in as you can see.

http://www.pmcconnection.com/
http://www.pmcguild.com/
http://www.pmcsupply.com/
http://www.wholelottawhimsy.com/

:) Pam

lisilk
03-23-2004, 03:29 PM
:confused: :rolleyes: Thanks ! :D Lot's of new terms for us non- jewelers.

Kerensamere
03-23-2004, 03:40 PM
PMC is precious metal clay - you fire it in a kiln (or with a torch with the newer versions)

Wait a minute! Did you say with a torch? I've been thinking about playing with PMC and mixing it with my stained glass but have been unsure about the combo. Any reccomendations on which site it good to check out the torch options?

By the way I love your necklace. The faces are lovely! Did you fire them with the pmc or were they prefired first?

-Jen

earthenwood
03-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Hello! Thanks for the compliments!

The Porcelain was made, fired to bisque, glazed and fired to cone 6 (around 2200*F) After all the clay work was done, I made the bezel around the ceramics with the PMC clay (and I used the syringe for details) and fired it in my kiln.

Many forms of PMC can be fired with a torch, but you will run into trouble firing glass and stones or ceramics with a torch, because of the thermal shock.

THe sites listed above are great resources. And Tonya from Whole lotta whimsy is one of our WC artists here. She's very helpful with the tech stuff.

We should start a show & tell for PMC! The only problem is that I really only have the one piece to show :(

jacki
03-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Melanie, I love the combination of your beautiful porcelain cabs with the pmc and pearls!! :clap: :clap:
jacki

rightbrainbeads
03-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Jacki, Jacki, Jacki.... this scarf is perfection...

Daggy, I love your necklace... are those dichro beads? They're gorgeous!

lynne

McDuck
03-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Beautiful work Melanie! I saw her beads in person this past week, let me tell you, I love em all! :D :p -Mary

GardensOnGlass
03-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Jacki, gorgeous colors in that scarf! Melanie, your beads are so beautiful, I love them with the PMC bezel! Nancy, your doing a fantastic job with your jewelry designing!

Jen, you can use PMC with glass, but you can't use a torch. The glass will break because of thermal shock, it will cool down too quickly. You have to use a kiln and controller (I don't have the setting info) that will allow the PMC to fire, and then cool down slow enough so that the glass won't shock.

If you go into the glass forums & do a search for Precious Metal Clay, you'll find lots of threads (don't use PMC, not enough letters).

Kerensamere
03-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the tips on PMC Lori, I'm really interested in playing with that.

Like I really need one more project! I've got a whole sketch book full of ideas! What I really need is better time management skills to get my butt in my studio so that I can make more STUFF!

WC is so addictive, maybe they need to set up a new forum: WC: The 12 Step Program :D

-Jen