PDA

View Full Version : OT but I had to share my addition to my studio.

mjcall
03-22-2004, 10:52 AM
I just finished building a jewelers bench for my studio. I have wanted one for a long time. I designed and built it using pictures in catalogs as a guide to dimensions and features.

I am looking forward to not having to crawl around on my hands and knees to find stray bits and pieces of whatever I am working on. Thanks for letting me share.

M_

ValorieCox
03-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Beautiful bench, you did a great job! Now get to work and fill it up! :)

Val

DonnaBee
03-22-2004, 11:03 AM
You built that!?!?!?! OMG, well done :clap:

I am looking forward to not having to crawl around on my hands and knees to find stray bits and pieces of whatever I am working on.
One way or another.... I see one of these in my future!!!!

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Wearable Art Classifiesds

WTB: A man to come to my house and build ME a jewelers bench right next to my architecture desk, but between the two computer desks and around the stacks of bead boxes, display booth crates, vaccum and a cluster of other crafty odds and ends.

:D

Gorgeous M, you never fail to amaze me.

~D.

TheBlueBetween
03-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Oh that is to die for!!! It's so beautiful - I can't wait to see the jewelry you create on it!

And that is the best picture in your tinyhead - what a great looking dog! We saw a great dane (a very happy go lucky dopy looking one) this weekend at the dog park, and my 3 year old called it a horse.

:) Pam

jacki
03-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Wow! great job!! What a feeling of accomplishment that must be. :clap:

My Bench is home made as well, (not by me!) and while it is not as aesthetically pleasing as yours, I love it dearly. It has always been the soul of my shop--where every project starts and finishes.

Congratulations!

mjcall
03-22-2004, 11:39 AM
And that is the best picture in your tinyhead - what a great looking dog! We saw a great dane (a very happy go lucky dopy looking one) this weekend at the dog park, and my 3 year old called it a horse.

:) Pam

That is my best bud, Casper, a Harlequin Great Dane. We are kind of joined at the hip, if it weren’t for him I would be talking to myself a lot. :)

Thanks for the kind words all.

M_

somk
03-22-2004, 11:41 AM
Wow.. beautiful ! I would SO want that :D... I would turn it into shreds after a few months, considering how messy my workshop has become lol.. but I do appreciate the beauty.. ! Let's use hammers, saws and .. please tell me you will only use it for setting stones.. please ! :p

McDuck
03-22-2004, 04:14 PM
That is a beautiful bench and would look great in my new studio! Mind making one for me too? I have to crawl around.... :rolleyes: :D _mary

ringslingin
03-22-2004, 06:43 PM
I want one toooo!

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-22-2004, 06:54 PM
Okay Mike, that looks to be about 3 or 4 orders for benches...you better get busy!

:p

No time for beads, off to the woodshop! /wink

~Danielle

isle-of-cats
03-22-2004, 07:15 PM
WOW!!! That is gorgeous!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think I will be adding one of those to my BF's "Honey Do" list!!!
I am sure he will be thrilled.... :rolleyes: :D
LOLOL

ringslingin
03-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Just out of curiousity, how much *would* you charge to make one of those benches for us?

Also, what are those blocks protruding from the bench? They look like their meant for a purpose.

Denise

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Denise, the one in the middle is a bench pin to put things on while you're filing, etc, and the outer two are arm rests.

:)

~Danielle

chuckie
03-23-2004, 12:14 AM
I just finished building a jewelers bench for my studio. I have wanted one for a long time. I designed and built it using pictures in catalogs as a guide to dimensions and features.

... Thanks for letting me share.

M_

Absolutely gorgeous. I noticed you live in the NC hills. It doesn't surprise me that you have wonderful woodworking skills. Your area is filled with fine furniture craftsmen & women. You're also close enough for me to come pick up the one you're gonna make for meeeee... hehehehehe....

Do you still have your notes on the measurements or piece patterns? I have access to a shop in TN with the machines I see in the background. That is, if you don't mind sharing a little more! :D

All kidding aside, you did a fantastic job.

Char

ringslingin
03-23-2004, 12:51 AM
No, meeee first I'll be in VA Friday, very close to NC!

chuckie
03-23-2004, 01:11 AM
No, meeee first I'll be in VA Friday, very close to NC!

You shouldn't have given me the warning. I'm here in SC. I'll race ya! I'll even wait till Friday....

Michael, bet ya didn't figure the girls would be fighting over you so soon after joining up, did you? LOL...

Have a good night everyone

Char

ringslingin
03-23-2004, 04:32 AM
You shouldn't have given me the warning. I'm here in SC. I'll race ya! I'll even wait till Friday..

Char

My dad owns a semi-. I'm gonna WIN! ha ha ha! I am postively *desperate* to get my old kitchen table out of my office/studio!

:P lol chuckle

p.s. thanks Danielle for explainin' the parts to me!

denise :angel:

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-23-2004, 09:36 AM
At your service....

:evil:

~Danielle

chuckie
03-23-2004, 09:54 AM
My dad owns a semi-. denise :angel:

Hey, one of those will fit in my convertible if I put the top down... (or were you talking about a semi-automatic?)

But if you're working on a kitchen table, I'll let you go first. At least I've got an old desk with a little drawer space. :p

Char

Nolly
03-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Michael, not only do you do gorgeous work, you are obviously an okay guy to have two doggilishious friends.

Nolly

mjcall
03-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Well now that you ladies have that worked out I have a bit of bad news.

1. My bench is not for sale. I have already moved into it.
2. My DW tells me that if I don’t get back to work building the house……….well you know :evil:

Seriously Denise asked what I would charge to build a bench like mine, the bad news is if I charged what it was worth when compared to commercially available benches, I would be working for slave wages. :( There is no way a small shop could be competitive when compared to production built units. If you are serious about purchasing a bench I would suggest you check out Grobet USA, from what I can learn they are well thought of benches and were the basis for my design. Their prices run from $398 for the top of the line to $245 for a basic unit. Rio Grande also sells a line of benches that look good. Mind you I have never inspected any of them up close and personal, just looked at them in the catalogs.

Thank you to all for the kind words, I am glad to hear other people like it. This is going to be a great group to participate with. :cool:

M_

chuckie
03-24-2004, 01:10 AM
Michael,

I certainly didn't expect you to part with your new baby. It's just too darned purty. It was just a fun way of letting you know how beautifully your new workstation was made. Did you keep notes on how you cut your pattern? I'd be willing to pay for the instructions. I have access to a complete woodworking shop and a source for wholesale wood.

Yes, you'd better get back to working on the house. We DWs are bad about forgetting to make sure there's enough clean underwear or to cook dinner on occasion...

Char

Well now that you ladies have that worked out I have a bit of bad news.

1. My bench is not for sale. I have already moved into it.
2. My DW tells me that if I don’t get back to work building the house……….well you know :evil:

M_

ringslingin
03-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Hey, one of those will fit in my convertible if I put the top down... (or were you talking about a semi-automatic?)

I mean like a tractor-trailer with a 20ft or 40ft box hooked up to it! So, I got room! LOL

ringslingin
03-24-2004, 01:17 AM
Did you keep notes on how you cut your pattern? I'd be willing to pay for the instructions. I have access to a complete woodworking shop and a source for wholesale wood

Moves on to sucking up to Chuckie.......

mjcall
03-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Michael,

I certainly didn't expect you to part with your new baby. It's just too darned purty. It was just a fun way of letting you know how beautifully your new workstation was made. Did you keep notes on how you cut your pattern? I'd be willing to pay for the instructions. I have access to a complete woodworking shop and a source for wholesale wood.

Char

Char

I design most of my woodworking projects using Autocad. Because I have my computer in my office in the studio I kind of use the drawing as a scratch pad, referring to it often during the actual construction process. I don't have finished drawings per say but I would be glad to share what I do have with anyone who is interested. I could either forward the actual Autocad file if you have access to AC or a hardcopy with basic dimensions. Anyone who is truly interested can just PM me.

M_

mistymade
03-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Michael, your jewelers bench is absolutely gorgeous!!! You did a beautiful job! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have one of those freaky blue laminate ones...I can't say that I love it, but I guess I shouldn't complain since it serves its purpose.

Your bench is what I dream of having!:D