PDA

View Full Version : Tight-wad ramblings about Toggles

ringslingin
03-22-2004, 07:07 AM
OK, this will only make sense to you if you buy toggles & s clasps at shows by the gram...

It occured to me the other evening when I was pricing some of the toggles that I had bought at the gem faire... The crappy little rings that come on the toggles to hold the two pieces of the clasps together, they get WEIGHED with your clasps. When you get your clasps home, you can't use these rings again because the cuts are so bad on them. I wonder if they are even the same metal of the clasp. *But* you're paying for that weight!

Would it be rude of me the next time I go to the show to ask the seller of the clasps if I can take these rings off before my toggles are weighed? I know it probably sounds tacky, but I don't see the point in paying for something that I can't use! Cheap as I am, I wouldn't mind a bit sitting there taking all of those rings off.

Any thoughts? Feel free to be blunt!

Denise

DonnaBee
03-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Well, you make a very good point! I think you should say something! It's worth a try.
(But then, I am the type who will try and get away with snapping the stalks off the brocolli in the produce aisle... :o )

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-22-2004, 09:54 AM
HELL yes, I'd tell them to take the extra weight off. If you were only buying one or two, maybe it wouldn't be a big deal, but when you start buying 20 pieces or so, all that extra weight adds up, ~especially~ in grams. /shudder

Yeah...so...there's my two cents~ /tosses coins into the fountain.

:p

~Danielle

Nolly
03-22-2004, 01:32 PM
It can't hurt to ask! Donna, you're not alone; my husband takes all the bad grapes off the bunch before he puts it in the plastic bag ...

Nolly

DonnaBee
03-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Nolly! I never thought of that one... Grapes are very expensive! Tell your husband thanks!

McDuck
03-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Well, you make a very good point! I think you should say something! It's worth a try.
(But then, I am the type who will try and get away with snapping the stalks off the brocolli in the produce aisle... :o )

ROFL Donna! I do the same with the brocolli stems. I dont eat them and they weigh a ton!
-Mary

DonnaBee
03-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Yep, and if you are buying a five pound bag of potatoes, you can weigh a few before you pick which one, to be sure you aren't gettting a "light" one. Eggs too!

Watch the pennies, and the dollars take care of themselves. I used to be Amy Dacyczn's (sp?) biggest fan, back in the day. :)

ringslingin
03-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Boy, am I glad I'm not the only "tight-wad" around here!!! *whew*

Like yall said, I never really thought about it when I first started buying supplies at the gem faire, but now that I'm buying more, it really bugs me to think I'm paying for something I can't use!

Any more thoughts?

Denise

Laura Brito
03-22-2004, 11:47 PM
The rings are factored into the per gram pricing so sure they will sell them to you without the rings but the gram price will go up. It is all figured out so they can make a profit and pay for everything (booth, air fare/gas, etc....). I know how hard it is so even make ends meet for these guys. It isn't a life I would wish on anyone. hehe The per gram price is usually in the .32 to .75 cent range and most clasps weigh approx 1 gram up to 20 grams each, so they are not really expensive in the scope of the whole thing (necklace).

Sorry! I think I would be offended if someone asked me if they could take them off to weigh them?! They are part of the clasp. Unless I am missing something?

chuckie
03-23-2004, 12:20 AM
you can weigh a few before you pick which one, to be sure you aren't gettting a "light" one. Eggs too!

There's an easier way to check to see if you're getting the largest eggs or the smallest eggs if you purchase the ones with the holes in the top where you can see the eggs. Just look closely at where the eggs come into contact with the holes. The larger eggs will butt up against the carton and the small ones will have a gap. The smaller the eggs, the bigger the gap.

Yep, I'm one of those calculator toting shoppers, too. I've been followed around a couple of times because they noticed me with my hands in my purse digging for the calculator. I guess they thought I might be four-finger discount shopping... :eek:

Char

ringslingin
03-23-2004, 12:41 AM
Laura....

Why would the per gram price go up if I asked to *not* pay for the rings? Why would these rings be considered a part of the clasp if they are inferior? I don't understand The cuts on these rings are very poor quality, so after I get them home, I can't use them on a finished piece of jewelry, all I can do with them is throw them away, so I really don't see why I should have to pay for them!!!

If you have some insight, please share it with me, before I make a jackass out of myself at the next gem faire.

BTW, in the scope of things, if I buy several toggles those rings *will* add up to my total gram weight, so to me it IS important.

Denise

ringslingin
03-23-2004, 12:42 AM
P.S. By not paying for them, I wouldn't be keeping them either, so I don't see how the seller would lose anything.

lissadivamama
03-23-2004, 12:16 PM
ROFL Donna! I do the same with the brocolli stems. I dont eat them and they weigh a ton!
-Mary
:clap: I do it with broccoli sometimes, but the one that gets me in trouble is the asparagus! It is usually so expensive, and you can't eat those woody ends! In fact, I do it with most of my greens if the ends are exposed and I can get to them! I dare somebody to try and stop me! :evil:

jamilyn
03-23-2004, 02:41 PM
I imagine that vendor had to pay for the rings in their per-gram price so they would be losing money by allowing you to take them off. The up side to having the rings is that you won't be at risk of being shorted one half of a toggle clasp.

Ignuss-Fatuus
03-23-2004, 02:50 PM
I remember last year at B&B i bought a bit of silver stuff only to find out when I got home they got a little heavy thumbed on the scale! suppose to be .29 or .32 cents a gram and it was $11 bucks for like virtually nothing! 20 grams I believe it ended up being....i was a bit miffed and to boot at another stand i got 2 strands of stuff and they weighed the string and tie things with it so i paid for string and rubber bandy things as well seems petty but I do get a lil miffed about those things as well.
karin

lunamoonshadow
03-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Can't help with the "toggle" part of this discussion....but you CAN eat those "woody ends" on the asparagus! Just slice off about 1mm on the end & toss it--after you steam the part you'd like to eat "whole", then steam the "woody" parts twice as long, using the same water. Cool, dump into food processor or blender & puree. Viola! Instant base for absolutely yummy cream-of-asparagus soup! Toss it in the freezer, pull it out in the middle of the winter & make yummy "out of season" soup with it!
(And if you've shredded raw "oversized & woody" zuchinni & frozen it in single batch sized baggies, you can have warm zuchinni bread for breakfast in February too!)
--Lyn
Queen of "don't throw away food if you can freeze it!"

DonnaBee
03-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all the excellent tips everyone!

Char thanks for the egg carton gap tip, I will always do this now! And yes, they think I am a shoplifter all the time at the store... I still can't get over a couple months ago, when I was comparing the price of batteries (two brands were on sale, and it was a difficult calculation to figure out which was the better deal...) and they really thought I was stealing. The manager stood at the end of the aisle watching me until I was done. When I PAID and left, there was a police car outside even.

Now, if I were a shoplifter, I certainly would need to be standing there comparing prices, now would I? :confused: Go figure! :p

chuckie
03-25-2004, 12:09 AM
[QUOTE=DonnaBee]Thanks for all the excellent tips everyone!

Char thanks for the egg carton gap tip, I will always do this now! /QUOTE]

You can do it with the styrofoam packs, too. Gently press the top just above the eggs. The more give, the smaller the eggs. The cardboard cartons with the gaps are the easiest, though.

Char

McDuck
03-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Denise, they wont let you take the rings off because they pay for them too, and yes for the most part they are worthless :mad:

Asparagus, MMmmm...I make German style veggies. Steam you asparagus with extra water or boil which ever you prefer. As soon as they are soft, get out another pot, add to it 3 Tbsp of butter or margerine, melt, add flour to thicken, then add seasoning- I use a German brand that has chicken broth and other things in it but you could use season salt, garlic salt, celery, etc, lightly brown this. Remove the asparagus and slowly poor the liquid into the pot with the butter mix, use a whisk to mix. Let it thicken over a low flame. add aspargus to it and warm for 5 minutes or lay asparugus out on a nice serving bowl and poor the souce over it. You can do this with cauliflower (add a softly beaten and room temp egg to the mix after you add them together it makes it very cramy!) broccoli, brussel sprouts (also use finely chopped onion and garlic), etc. Easy and fast way to make otherwise boring veggies tasty!

-Mary

bellomodo
03-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Laura....

Why would the per gram price go up if I asked to *not* pay for the rings? Why would these rings be considered a part of the clasp if they are inferior? I don't understand The cuts on these rings are very poor quality, so after I get them home, I can't use them on a finished piece of jewelry, all I can do with them is throw them away, so I really don't see why I should have to pay for them!!!

If you have some insight, please share it with me, before I make a jackass out of myself at the next gem faire.

BTW, in the scope of things, if I buy several toggles those rings *will* add up to my total gram weight, so to me it IS important.

Denise

I think that Laura explained it pretty well, but you have to look at it from both sides to really understand. The wholeasler sells them to the retailer who sells them to u=you. The rings keep the pieces together in the process of shipping them around. The rings are figured into the pricing because everyone has paid for them all along, as a part of the processing. If you take them off, then the price per unit would have to go up to make up for the lost weight, which everyone has paid for. To make it work out the rings would have to be left off way back at the manufacters. They put them on for a reason, to cut down on losses.

lunamoonshadow
03-25-2004, 06:15 PM
You could look at it like the packaging @ the deli :) You don't get to unwrap the steaks, or the cheese to save a quarter!...that wrapper/tray/whatever is figured into the cost of what you're buying....just like when WE sell jewelry, we've (hopefully, if we're good business people!) figured in the cost of our gift boxes, our little shopping bags, our shipping envelopes, our bubblewrap, & if we sell online @ auction our ebay & paypal fees....eventually in any "retail" system, be it wholesale or full price, ALL the costs of doing business have to trickle down to the end-user. Or the sellers somewhere along the line will go out of business...The same thing is true @ any gift store--every customer is paying towards the tissue, giftwrap, giftboxes, etc...& if one customer "takes advantage" & asks for (& gets if the business is service oriented) 10 extra boxes, or a $2 item to go into a 50 cent box AND get $1 worth of tissue AND then $1 worth of giftwrap when it would be perfectly easy to just have it giftwraped (yes, it does happen) and then changes their mind on wrap & wants it "re-done in the other paper"...that affects EVERY customer in the long run--as cost of doing business goes up, so does cost of goods....
(can you tell I'm a retail manager, as well as having my own little business??)
Your best bet if the jumprings bug you that much is to either buy from someone who sells "by the piece" & doesn't have them connected, or to buy in big enough quantities so that the price per gram is the lowest you can possibly get....AND to have a re-sellers tax id if one is available in your state--that alone gets you better deals & access to the "wholesale" rooms at shows!!! Of course it does come with it's own little drawbacks, like quarterly taxes & state salestax filing & having to file that lovely "schedule C" every year! But then you can take off the cost of those annoying "trash" jumprings as an expense!!
My 14 cents...
--Lyn