PDA

View Full Version : The Outer Banks

RhiannonJ
03-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Okay, I just had to post this painting since it was responsible for me finding WC! in the first place. This was the first time I'd picked up a brush since '99. I was having a difficult time painting that tall grass. I did a search online and that led me here! That was back in November and I haven't stopped painting since! :clap:

Rhi

bellasmiiles
03-21-2004, 11:39 AM
You painting is gorgeous. It draws you in and makes you want to go directly to the water.....Lovely palette also ! :clap: :clap:

Alan Cross
03-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Very well donw Rri....doesn't look like you had to many problems to me!
Alan :)

DLevesque
03-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Beautiful. I can almost feel the sand between my toes. This reminds me of where my wife and I used to spend a lot of time at: Point Reyes National Seashore just north of San Francisco. Hope you will post more of your work.

Dick

RhiannonJ
03-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Very well donw Rri....doesn't look like you had to many problems to me!
Alan :)

Thanks Alan. That's because I found WC! before starting on that grass. :D

Rhi

meowmeow
03-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Wow! Looks like you picked that brush right up and picked up where you left off...super job. Yep...I can feel the sand between my toes too. NIce sand, nice water, nice sky! Nice dune grass too!

Sandy

Leaflin
03-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Rhiannon this is absolutly beautiful!
A very inviting painting, makes me wish I could step right into it.
I'm glad you did that search, and ended up here on WetCanvas :)

mairrca
03-21-2004, 09:20 PM
this is gorgeous. I love the sand...it is drifting.

Marty C
03-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Hi Rhi,
Another beauty. Love that sand, you have done a great job on it. It takes up a big part of the painting and with an artist of lesser skill could have made this very bland. You, however have got just the right combination of colour and texture in the sand so that this work really sings. The gap through to the sea and sky makes a very nice composition, a nice opening to further explore.
Well done.

ripvanblair
03-22-2004, 05:46 AM
oooooooh very nice I can feel the sand between my toes just looking at this one, very relaxing--------well done--------Alan

VeldaJ
03-22-2004, 07:16 AM
This is simply beautiful Rhi - the composition is perfect, inviting the view to walk right in - and the execution is first class. This is so reminiscent of many of the areas around Norfolk here in the UK where the dunes lead straight out to the sea.

Eugene Veszely
03-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Wonderful painting...I love it :)

CarolChretien
03-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Just beautiful! :clap:
Don't ever stop painting again! ;)

watercolorbill
03-23-2004, 02:57 AM
WOW ! this is gorgeous Rhi. Everything about it is so well done....Sky,water,sand and grasses. It must be even m,ore striking IRL

JamieWG
03-23-2004, 07:46 AM
Well it doesn't look to me like you had a tough time with the grasses at all! They look great. Congratulations on getting back to your brushes and a job well done.

Jamie

RhiannonJ
03-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Wow! Looks like you picked that brush right up and picked up where you left off...super job. Yep...I can feel the sand between my toes too. NIce sand, nice water, nice sky! Nice dune grass too!

Sandy

Thanks Sandy. I am really pleased with this one. Looks great hanging over my couch. :D Before I did the painting of Coach Island back in '99 in had been 13 years since I had picked up a brush! That'll never happen again thanks to WC! :D

Rhi

RhiannonJ
03-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone! I saw the reference photo for for this painting hanging on my next door neighbor's refrigerator and just KNEW I had to paint it. She almost flipped when she began watching my progress. :D

I plan on heading down to the Outer Banks this summer for a few days. I've never been there and after doing this painting I just have to go and see it for real. :D Will take my digicam and easel for sure. :clap:

Rhi

Alison Jardine
03-24-2004, 10:56 AM
hi Rhiannon

Stunning! The sand looks so soft, and warm! Great composition too.

Ali

brrice
03-24-2004, 09:35 PM
The great thing about this painting is it as mass appeal. Everybody wither an artist or not would like this one. It reminds me of a lake scene in ontario, canada, near where I live. But, it will also remind people of their favourite beach scene in many parts of the world. It produces emotion and memories. Isn't that what arts all about. I love your colors in the sky. The grass is done well too.

bobsart
03-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Great depth!! :clap:

Laura Tasheiko
03-29-2004, 09:52 PM
This is lovely, Rhi ! What size and medium is it? L :)

J.Dillon
03-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Beautiful. I even think I walked down that path a couple of years ago. :clap:

RhiannonJ
03-30-2004, 09:13 AM
This is lovely, Rhi ! What size and medium is it? L :)

Oops... sorry. Shoulda noted that in my original post. It's a 24x36 oil on canvas. Glad you all like it. I'm particularly proud of this one. :D

Rhi

Leaflin
04-12-2004, 09:50 AM
I plan on heading down to the Outer Banks this summer for a few days. I've never been there and after doing this painting I just have to go and see it for real. :D Will take my digicam and easel for sure. :clap:

Rhi

Rhi you are really going to enjoy it.
It's one of my most favorite places to camp!

RhiannonJ
04-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Rhi you are really going to enjoy it.
It's one of my most favorite places to camp!

Leaflin,

Any suggestions as to where to camp? I just want to take three of four days and really focus on getting some good photos and perhaps doing a painting while there. I'm in Maryland on the Bay so I'm looking at about a six hour drive I suppose.

If you have ideas/suggestions PM me.

Rhi

Leaflin
04-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Leaflin,

Any suggestions as to where to camp? I just want to take three of four days and really focus on getting some good photos and perhaps doing a painting while there. I'm in Maryland on the Bay so I'm looking at about a six hour drive I suppose.

If you have ideas/suggestions PM me.

Rhi

We use to tent camp at Cape Hatteras National Seashore at either Cape Point, or Ocracoke. Cold-water showers, flush-toilets, grills, and picnic tables, no hook-ups. Oh the joys of outdoor life :D
We have a trailer now :)
I'll see what I can find out for you, and send you a PM.

leobenson
04-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Great job! Looks like you handled the tall grasses extremely well! Nice sky and I too like the composition with the water between the dunes.

If I had to recommend one thing, it would be to look bottom of the painting. The sand is well developed, but it seems a little to plain against the excellent detail of the grass, clouds, and water. Maybe adding some rocks, shells, grasses, or a visiting bird would keep my eye from wandering too far down. Try looking at the painting covering up the bottom 1/4 or so, and see if you agree. Again, just suggestion, the painting is really well done!

Living in Raleigh, I try to get to the Outer Banks at least once each year. So much inspirational material for the artist out there...and some great lighthouses. Its should be interesting to see how the cleanup from the hurricane last year has progresses. Hope you enjoy the trip!

Leo

RhiannonJ
04-15-2004, 03:23 PM
If I had to recommend one thing, it would be to look bottom of the painting. The sand is well developed, but it seems a little to plain against the excellent detail of the grass, clouds, and water. Maybe adding some rocks, shells, grasses, or a visiting bird would keep my eye from wandering too far down. Try looking at the painting covering up the bottom 1/4 or so, and see if you agree. Again, just suggestion, the painting is really well done!

Appreciate the feedback but I kinda like it just the way it is. The vastness of the sand leading to the dunes has a simplicity about it. I feel by adding some shells or a bird would really take away from this. Besides, the reference photo for this painting was taken out of Country Living magazine. It was an advert for tourisn in North Carolina so I don't think I'll go mucking around with something as prestiguous as that. :D

Its should be interesting to see how the cleanup from the hurricane last year has progresses.
Leo

I know what you mean. I live on the Chesapeake Bay up here in Maryland and am about 60 feet from the water. We had about a ten foot storm surge when Isabel came through. Thankfully my house didn't get flooded. Water came up into the yard a bit but that's about it. Was a night I'll never forget though. I was out there at 3am when the storm came through with my flash light and rain gear on... the wind was howling and the waves were crashing up into my yard!!...I felt like Jim Cantore of the Weather channel. :D

Rhi

Jijo
04-15-2004, 03:33 PM
So simple and full of feelings, I love that painting Rhi, hope to see more.
Alex

RhiannonJ
04-15-2004, 09:36 PM
So simple and full of feelings, I love that painting Rhi, hope to see more.
Alex

Thanks Alex. Glad you recognize the emotions that were put into this painting. I only paint from references that I feel an emotional tie to. I've got to somehow feel drawn into it. It's like a tug at my soul. I may never have laid eyes on the place physically, but on a deeper level I'm there... if you catch my drift. :)

Rhi

tunna
04-16-2004, 04:02 AM
lovely painting.
dave

laudesan
04-20-2004, 02:57 AM
Very Beautiful..

sandokan
05-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Ciao!
Compliments for your great work!
Very very beautiful!!!
I would tell you that a place very similar is in Italy, exactly on the west coast, in Tirrenia, near Pisa!
That's incredibl3, isn't it????
Ciaoo!
Sandokan
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

urealityormine
05-06-2004, 05:49 AM
Absolutely beautiful!

Veronica

bobsart
05-06-2004, 08:23 AM
Great job! Looks like a photo I took when I was there......bob