PDA

View Full Version : Help, what's my style?

timelady
08-28-2001, 01:38 PM
This is one of my silly questions. Here's a pic of some of my typical work. I keep coming across the questions asking for my style for web galleries, competitions and the like and I'm never comfortable picking something. I can't be the only one out there!

I usually say expressionist but only because they were my main influences. And I do occassionally create something in a different style, sometimes drastic sometimes not, but seem to gravitate back to this. To me a perfect painting expresses the light and dark and shapes in the composition. I used to say form but then decided that I'm only interested in form and mass to the extent that it is a shape of light and dark.

So, all you art school or art history gurus out there, do I have a particular style? Does it fall into some category so I can stop saying "eeer, uuuuh...water stuff"? It would come in very handy for my private view night too. :p

On the same note, can anyone recommend a good book about recent art trends and styles? Something with lots of pictures. :) And I've been looking for a while for something about moving towards abstraction, sort of mixture of examples of abstract artists and work throughs in actual practice.

Ta,
Tina.
http://www.tina-m.com/art/style.jpg

Jan-Michael
08-28-2001, 09:44 PM
I would have to agree expressionistic... but I am no expert...:) very nice work BTW...

sassybird
08-29-2001, 08:08 AM
I would agree that expressionistic describes what you have shown here. It is hard these days to put any work into a category. In days past I would have been called an abstract expressionist, but I work in many styles and mediums, so when people ask about my style I just say Sassy :D It is all me no matterr how it comes out.

kelly
08-29-2001, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by timelady
[B]This is one of my silly questions.

How bout just saying its "Cool."

timelady
08-29-2001, 04:00 PM
Thanks... wish I could say my art was sassy. perhaps I'll change my name to something else... Genius perhaps. ;) Or maybe something more subtle like Buythis?

Kelly, did you get my second email about the dog?

Very bored and spending the whole evening wasting time...
Tina.

Cindy
08-30-2001, 10:37 AM
abstract expressionism

tflavin
04-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Well, it does look similar to work an abstract expressionist might have produced but that does not in itself define you as an abstract expressionist. That could be what you are, but only you can know that. Defining your art in the context of a movement isn't just about what the work looks like (at least not with most 20th century movements). Rather, the central issue is your relationship to your work, and in the case of AE, your relationship to the act of creating it.

I'm afraid I don't have time to go into much detail but if you do some research on the movement you'll know if it describes your experience as an artist. It's not something anyone else can tell you. And don't be surprised if you aren't able to find a movement to describe your particular creative experience. There's nothing wrong with creating beautiful works of color and form just for the hell of it....don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Hope that helps!

Tim

shemshaun
04-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Well, it does look similar to work an abstract expressionist might have produced but that does not in itself define you as an abstract expressionist. That could be what you are, but only you can know that. Defining your art in the context of a movement isn't just about what the work looks like (at least not with most 20th century movements). Rather, the central issue is your relationship to your work, and in the case of AE, your relationship to the act of creating it.
TimI agree with Tim that it appears to be similar to abstract expressionism - but I wouldn't use that term because it might come with too much historical baggage that may not apply to you. It sounds like you have resolved your inner issues of how you approach your art, you are struggling on how to find a shorthand phrase that describes it to other people who are not looking at the art.

I have the same difficulty in that my art has grown out of figure drawing and has elements that expressionists, cubists and other abstract artists have used. But could I collapse what I do into a single phrase? - I find that I can't because the art grew out of itself and not out of an ism and all I can really call it is my art. The best I can do is say it is "Poetic Abstraction" and I think that would fit your art as well.

pipicacassosso
04-09-2004, 02:46 PM
If I understand correctly what you're asking,Tina, here are my thoughts:
It seems that you're searching for the right "compartment" that will somehow describe as fully as possible what's there on your canvases and at the same time will be commercially applicable for potential viewers but primarily gallery owners.
Well, in order to perhaps distance your own "style" from your sources of influence (that are immediately associated with the American abstract expressionists of the 50's and 60's), how about:

"LYRICAL ABSTRACTION" ????

VieSaintSo
04-09-2004, 09:31 PM
i understand how you feel......so frustrating sometime....why oh why do we have do be defined by A style ,A color,A gender....but thats how it goes....so Pipi suggestion is brilliant!
Ther is what people call (i think) cold abstract; where ther is no definit form or illusion of somthing tangebable...than impressionism abstraction ;where you can find an sort of see/imagine realism...bal bla bla....obvioulsly i am not schooled in te art.....But your question is very legitimate...so i guess i would have to say abstract impressionism...which to me is wonder full, because it comes from your heart and gut of something you have seen/imagine that does sort of exist in this dimension.....but more importantly is how YOU see it. And how IT sings to you; therefore is your OWN interpretation of....whateverVery good point, good luck to you me and many others to try and define and be understood in our OWN category.... :)
Most of all, that it will be appreciated as is....

VieSaintSo
04-09-2004, 09:34 PM
WOW just realise this thread started 2001......in 2050 there will bring back this thread! :clap: