View Full Version : History

morendo
03-21-2004, 01:41 AM
Just a little different.
Comments and lurkers welcome.
16x20 oils

Tamana
03-21-2004, 08:16 PM
The background is bloody terrific!! Definitely indicative of aged; however, ugh, I hate to say stuff like this but it's truth (to me) the markings look somewhat contrived; too fresh against the age of stone. Does that make sense?

I came back: Have you thought about (when the black is dry) repeating the background over the lettering, then scraping?

morendo
03-21-2004, 09:06 PM
Tamana:
Thank you for always commenting on my stuff :D
I am glad you like the background. It was an experiment in which I liked the outcome. I do appreciate your comments truly.
When you say "contrived" do you mean just that the symbols are too fresh (dark, black, etc) or that they don't appear authentic?
I kinda like your idea... I am considering doing that or maybe just a simple wash (copperish-like) to bring them together a bit.

Responding to you in writing has actually got me thinking about my next piece. hmmm. :)

Tamana
03-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Hi, Morendo - IMHO< I would have to say both. The symbols are too fresh AND some do look contrived not only in design but grouped arrangement as well. But, I can't really explain how or why. It'll be interesting to see you play with this and see how it evolves...

Gonzalo Golpe
03-22-2004, 01:39 PM
And welcome to the new Lascaux caves! :D Like the symbolism, the hand :)

Zalo

TeAnne
03-22-2004, 03:48 PM
I came back: Have you thought about (when the black is dry) repeating the background over the lettering, then scraping?

That sounds like a great idea. I love the the b/ground, very earthy