PDA

View Full Version : ScratchArt.......First attempts ever.

tamalynn
03-20-2004, 09:57 PM
This is a first time ever for me doing a scratchboard. Until 3 days ago I didn't even know there was such a thing. I was in the craft store and saw some clayboard black and it looked interesting. (I didn't know you also needed special tools for it) I bought the board took it home and got out a kitchen knife and a thumbtack. Both scratchboards were done from ref pic from image lab. Thank you nomanc and orchidlover6. Let me know what you think. Oh since I have done these two I have done some research and am hoping that this will improve my technique (which could use lots of improvement :rolleyes: ). Oh yeah the were done on a 5x7 board.

blumoon
03-21-2004, 02:06 AM
First time I've ever seen scratch board work, and I hadn't heard of it either until I joined this website. I like what you've done. It has an interesting effect. What sorts of tools does one normally need for that? I think it would be a good exercise in negative space. :D

Jakeally
03-21-2004, 05:22 AM
Oh! Well done. A knife and a thumb tack :D :D :D :clap:
These are wonderful for a first attempt.

Myorca and joemajury are our resident experts at scratchboard and I am sure they will be along shortly ;)

myorca
03-21-2004, 10:15 AM
HI Tamalynn,

You have done a nice job on these two scratches. Fun isnt it????? YOu betcha!!! I look forward to seeing more, and I have no doubt that with each one you do the results will be better and better. One of the hardest things with scratching is controlling the tones, being careful not to scratch too much in the beginning which can lead to a washed out appearance. You have the knack and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I am more than willing to answer what I can!!

I use a straightpin placed in an exacto knife holder to work on my scratches, which is what I do exclusively. Crias and I believe Lorna both use exacto knife blades to scratch their pieces.

Bob

lisilk
03-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi Tamalynn and Welcome to Wetcanvas !

I think you have a fine start here for your first scratchboards esp. with the " tools" you used. If you do a search here ( above in forums ) for scratchboard posts, you will find some amazing examples of what is possible. Myorca is definitely the master to learn from.

From what I have seen from others just starting, major improvements come fast to those that pratice. Keep going and you'll surprise yourself !

Cheers,

Li

billiam
03-23-2004, 07:15 AM
very good, get the proper tools and practice. should be doing some great art. i tried it, mine are buried under some scrap work. looking forward to more postings. bill

tamalynn
03-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Thanks to all for their kind words. I have decided that scratchart is addictive.
Those were the only boards that I had. It is quite a ways to the nearest art store here and so it may be a few weeks before I get to do this again. I did look around and see the wonderful scratchart on this forum. I would love to be able to get half as good as what I see here. When I get more I will post. Thank you for your time.

myorca
03-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Hi Tamalynn,

You can order claybord black from DickBlick.com and it is quite a bit cheaper than the local stores if you are interested in finding another source for it. Also when you get to the point where you wish to have custom sizes of board, you can order it directly from Ampersand Art the manufacturer. For instance if you wanted a 10x30 piece etc.

Again if you have any questions, please feel free to ask away!!!! :)

Bob