PDA

View Full Version : Blessing - new piece

Artistammy
03-20-2004, 09:31 PM
This is the reference for my new painting. This was my husband's Granddad blessing our son. He blessed all 7 of his great-grandchildren that night. I thought I'd get started this weekend but other things kept coming up I had to deal with. :( The first pic is the original - the 2nd how I thought I might crop it. Which way do you like it?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2004/3341-Granddads_BlessingWC.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2004/3341-justGranddads_Blessingcroppedlarger.JPG

gnu
03-20-2004, 10:36 PM
I personally find the crop a little tight to really see what's going on..
perhaps pan out a little more, just leave out the lamp and other un-needed clutter..
but perhaps the complete shot tells the story better...

Deborah Secor
03-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Tammy, I love this photo and remember seeing it in the pastel forum. I know you'll make it into a wonderful painting. I agree, the crop is a little tight. I suggest more like this. I like seeing the chair, so we know Grandad is sitting down and I like the attitude of the boy, so sweet and submissive...but the lamp and the kids behind are a little too distracting. You'll know what's best! It's a touching subject. Have fun!

Deborah

Paintbrush74
03-21-2004, 10:45 AM
I agree with the others that a panned out crop might be a good idea. This is a great picture. I'm looking forward to your rendition.

zardoz
03-21-2004, 11:33 AM
others have said it all and now waiting in anticipation for the finished product

Artistammy
03-21-2004, 07:37 PM
THanks. I was thinking that the crop might be more than I wanted. I'm even wondering about leaving in the other children but without the lamp. I'll have to think on it some more & maybe ask the composition forum too. lol

Rosic
03-21-2004, 07:55 PM
What a family heirloom this will make... such a touching story and legacy. I would include all the children so it will be equally special to all of them.
Rosic

DLGardner
03-22-2004, 01:00 AM
Hi Tammy
I've been browsing all the threads and must say I really like your work.

I'm going to be the oddball here and say I like the crop. The close up shows the sincerity and passion of this gentleman handing his blessing to this young man. I think, done well, this should be a very moving piece like this. A step back crop might explain the details a bit more but I think loses some of the passion. JMHO

sassybird
03-22-2004, 05:42 PM
I am reminded of my grandfather on my dad's side, and my grandmother on my mom's side. Both blessed us kids, and gave us unconditional love. I think the wider view is best. It shows all the kids, and that is important since they are all in his heart and prayers.