PDA

View Full Version : The Fugly Design Challenge!

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-20-2004, 03:41 PM
In the tradition of the Glass Forum, we are going to hold a contest for the Fugliest Designer's Product. I have no idea what the winner will get yet, and I think I can talk Sassy over in Mixed Media to pick the winner, but the prize I'll dream up. :) Sooo, without further ado:

I know you all are shocked at the thought of me even having something to contribute to this contest.../cough, puts hat over swelled head...but it's true! Before I began making beautiful, profitable bangles, I turned out some...not so nice stuff. LOL!

So, I'll start with my pic, and no fair laughing or pointing fingers unless you put a pic up here too! /evil eye

Obviously, this was WELL before I learned that less is more and how to properly do asymmetry. /snort

I present!

Bangles Gone Wild! For the first time ever! You too can own this collector's edition for 3 easy installments of....oh wait...No one in their right mind would buy this hunk o' junk. The good news is I'll have more beads and silver to play with when I finally disassemble it. Atm, it's a reminder of what NOT to do.

Rose Queen
03-20-2004, 05:06 PM
*sucking it up and being brave...*

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

DonnaBee
03-20-2004, 09:04 PM
Excellent contest idea!!! I will have something.... I will go digging. You will not believe the hideousness.

I hope I didn't already dismantle this one necklace I am thinking of... my DH said, "That looks like a big mess." He was right.... isn't it funny? When we see what we do???

I will have something, I will try and get a photo within the next couple days.

TheBlueBetween
03-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Oh, I have something! Hahaha - one of my girlfriends asked me to make something for a friend of hers for christmas and sent a picture from bluefly.com as my "inspiration". Well it was so ugly to start with and I tried to add a little of "me" to it and it didn't help. it's just plain fugly. I ended up making something of a plan B because I hated it so much I couldn't immagine her liking it and she did go with my plan b. So I'm stuck with this thing until I take it apart. Sorry to tease, but I don't have a picture at the moment - will try to get one posted soon.

DonnaBee
03-21-2004, 10:50 PM
This is so embarrassing it brings tears to my eyes.

(I hope I win.)

snootyvixen
03-21-2004, 11:13 PM
I have one!!! I love the colors turquoise and coral, and I wanted to make a "caterpillar" bracelet .... well, this took me a good number of months to complete, I'd pick it up, work on it for a while, then forget about it ... and this is what I came up with ... I just leave it on my desk and laugh at it every now and again ....

Vikki

DonnaBee
03-21-2004, 11:24 PM
I know Vikki, isn't it funny? And at the time you are working on it, aren't you just like, so into it and excited at the masterpiece you are creating.... When you are into it, while creating it, before you've taken a step back in space and time...

Danielle, your bangle, it makes me happy to see it, because the ones you make now are so good. I am glad you weren't an instant success or something and did have some growing pains. :evil: What is that on the bottom right corner of the bangle, it looks like one of those large thick box-staples which you mangled and stuck on!

Did you all notice my clever "alternative use of findings" at the bottom of my neckpiece? That's three squished jumprings! :o

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-21-2004, 11:44 PM
/falls off her office chair laughing, but covering her mouth, trying not to laugh too loudly since Ian is sleeping...

Omg, Donna, too funny. First, the comment about the box staple had my hysterical, and then the squished jump rings pushed me over the edge.

TOOOO funny.

This will be a great thread, I love to see the fugly stuff so we can all laugh about it.

And yes Donna, my bangle is horrid. I have nightmares just looking at it.

Snooty, that's not just one catepillar dear, that's a whole orgy of them! LOL.
:D

~D.

TheBlueBetween
03-21-2004, 11:50 PM
This is so embarrassing it brings tears to my eyes.

(I hope I win.)

Oh my. This reminds me of another fugly I have hiding around here somewhere (unless I took it apart already). Mine is uglier than yours - just wait and see!

Shirley C.
03-22-2004, 01:59 AM
oh, this thread is wonderful - brought tears to my eyes!

i can't find my fugliest of fuglies - i was going to save it for a workshop i'm trying to develop and now it's gone off and hid on me. however, i've got lots of fuglies so i can provide a picture here of one in the "collection". this is a necklace i made long before i even had a clue what lampwork is. i think i had been making jewelry for all of a few months - this was not a highlight, that's for sure. :D i love the lack of focal... what was i thinking? and for some dang reason, i made all my necklaces long enough to tickle my navel. bwwaaahaha!

Nolly
03-22-2004, 06:22 AM
Alright, ladies, stand back!

Here is a necklace I was so enamored with that I actually had it in the shop--for sale! Where people could see it ... OMG, what was I thinking?

Emjay
03-22-2004, 08:27 AM
I've taken apart or destroyed most of my fuglies---didn't even deep pics--but here's one I actually tried to sell at a show! It was the theory of "just because I don't like it doesn't mean someone won't". No one did. And who's to blame them? Ugly lampwork, ugly bangle. It doesn't exist anymore. Donated it's parts (except the ugly beads--they are in the glass graveyard) to more deserving bangles.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2004/11303-b_,.n.mmj.jpg

flynfire
03-22-2004, 07:12 PM
Gosh! I have you all beat. Tomorrow I will wrestle the piece away from my teenage son (the one with the purple hair ) and upload a picture. Ideally, to be assured of winning, I should take a picture of the two of them together! Shudder. Brace yourselves for the fugliness to come. :eek:

lunamoonshadow
03-22-2004, 08:00 PM
Hmmm....I suspect my mother has my fugly stuff (still) & I'll have to try & wrestle it away from her....but, if it helps...SHE'D LOVE & WEAR THAT CATAPILLAR bracelet!!! & think it was just gorgeous.....
(no accounting for taste, right?)
--Lyn

lisilk
03-23-2004, 02:04 AM
OOOOh boy, is this for other wearable arts as well ? Cuz' I've got some doooooozies. I am self taught with my silk painting and boy did I have some learning curves that wouldv'e caused a train to wreck.

I am so horrified that some of them are actually out in the world with those poor-souls first buyers. Arrrg. I'll see if I can find some old pictures.

Quite frankly, I don't think some of the work shown here is fugly at all ! LOL. Artists are so hard on themselves. :rolleyes:

Li

Nolly
03-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Li,

This forum is definitely for all wearable art ... we'd love to see your work. Look for the showcase threads started every morning ...

Nolly

gypsysoul
03-23-2004, 01:57 PM
This is my first venture over here from Glass Art--what a great idea! And this thread just called my name. heeheehee

I couldn't decide which of these were the worst, so you get to experience both of them. :evil: :p How sad, I had just taken a wire class and thought I was totally "all that". LOL!! I did not make any of the beads. Oh wait, yes I did--for the bracelet I made the polymer clay lumps of poop and the copper wire "bead". LOLOLOL!! What was I thinking??? And worse yet, I actually wore these out of the house a few times. No wonder I've never made jewelry with my lampwork beads! :o :eek:

Paula

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2004/10675-fugly2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2004/10675-fugly1.jpg

Blair
03-24-2004, 01:54 PM
I know this is supposed to be the Fugly Challenge, but I've got to say, I'm really not seeing anything that I would consider fugly! Not some people's better work, I'm sure, but I think most of these pieces still have a pretty good sense of design and color. Maybe that's just saying something about my taste... :rolleyes:

Keep 'em coming! I want to see the REAL fuglies! I'll have to see if I've got anything still together that I can take a picture of and contribute. I've certainly had my share, but they usually get recycled quick!

Blair

flynfire
03-24-2004, 05:09 PM
Okay, all. As promised, here it is. This fugly thing is about 4 1/2 inches wide! It's 20 gauge sterling. Only half of the chain is showing! Points should be removed for fugliness if anyone can identify the inlay image.
:eek: And I agree with some other posts that most of what I see here is not really all that fugly. But fun!

lisilk
03-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Okay, took me a while to find this. It's one of the only ones I have from the first year at silk painting 8 years ago. Brrrrrr. It's pretty scary to think of all of the others are out in the world. I guess I'm grateful no one told me how bad they were or I would have quit then and there. :p Thank goodness my drawing skills have improved ! ROFLOL.

Li

DonnaBee
03-24-2004, 09:46 PM
This thread is so funny! I hope it goes on for the next year, for pages and pages.

I do agree, nothing is really that fugly, so we can be proud of ourselves! Since this is our bad work...

flyfyre, what in the name of god is that??? lol!

Li, what is ugly about boulders floating amoungst leaves? :confused: :p

TheBlueBetween
03-24-2004, 10:02 PM
As promised....

LOL, I can't believe I made this thing. And almost gave it to my mother-in-law for her birthday last year! If you get Bead & Button you might remember a necklace with a donut that is not at all like this one... but inspired me to try it. I was so proud of myself when I made it - it was my first piece besides a simple strung bracelet. I was so mad at my husband when he said he didn't think I should send it to her. Only a year ago... this by far is the fugliest thing in this thread!

TheBlueBetween
03-24-2004, 10:04 PM
and this is the ugly necklace I made for a custom order that I had to make a second back up one because I knew it was horrible (inspired by some fugly thing on bluefly.com)

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-24-2004, 11:30 PM
OK, I officially pronounce all of you CRACK smokers!!! There's no way any of this stuff is truly as fugly as my mangled bangle! (Ha, that's almost good enuff for the Banana Name Game!)

I haven't seen anything nearly as bad yet. Li, although I thought the scarf was a windstorm with very large hail ;) , I still think it's pretty gorgeous. Pam, that last necklace is just fine, silly girl, Flyn, I have no idea what the symbol is, but as far as craftsmanship, it looks totally great!, etc, etc, etc.

You guys all need new glasses or something! LOL. But I agree with my buddy Donna...I hope this thread continues, cuz it's so funny to see what we all deem as ugly. Maybe someone will come along and buy all of our ugliness!

LOL.

Anyhoo, back to bed with me!

More pics!

~D.

beclectic
03-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Okay, took me a while to find this. It's one of the only ones I have from the first year at silk painting 8 years ago. Brrrrrr. It's pretty scary to think of all of the others are out in the world. I guess I'm grateful no one told me how bad they were or I would have quit then and there. :p Thank goodness my drawing skills have improved ! ROFLOL.

Li

I think the leaves are beautiful but what are the brown lumps. I don't think that is really fuglly just a little odd.

and this is the ugly necklace I made for a custom order that I had to make a second back up one because I knew it was horrible (inspired by some fugly thing on bluefly.com)

Why do you think it is fugly? I actually like it. Now that green donut necklace, I agree with you on that one.

I think that part of the reason these fuglies aren't really that fugly is that while the design concept or execution may not be 100% the materials have a beauty of their own. This phnomenon is a reverse example of 'You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.' Therefore 'It is hard to make a silk purse into a sow's ear.' Feel free to quote me on that. ROFL

TheBlueBetween
03-25-2004, 10:23 AM
Why do you think it is fugly? I actually like it. Now that green donut necklace, I agree with you on that one.

Well I think we will all agree on the green donut! LOL! The red one, though perfectly made, is just plain ugly. IMO. I can't stand the design. Perhaps it's my issue with custom orders when I'm asked to make something I don't love and can't find a way to make it "mine". Does that make sense? If someone really loved it they could have it... though they would have to promise never to tell who made it ;)

glitterbead
03-25-2004, 10:58 AM
Pam - I LOVE that red necklace!!!!!

I will post pix of a truly fugly pair of earrings this weekend.

flynfire
03-25-2004, 02:10 PM
This IS funny! Bring on that fugly stuff!
Pam, thank you. After seeing the red neckace, I don't feel so bad. LOL

DonnaBee
03-25-2004, 02:24 PM
I found another one just now when I was cleaning my son's room! It's appalling! heh! Can't wait to show you this one... it's one of my glass attempts at a hollow bead... (I've never succeeded at a hollow bead) it's never been seen before anywhere, and it's a complete piece of jewelry. Pics later.

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-25-2004, 02:32 PM
Donna, you tease!!!

~D.

DonnaBee
03-25-2004, 04:00 PM
Okay, okay, gosh Danielle, you are a little bit pushy when you get sick! :p (;) :D)

I give you:

Lampworked Hollow (Snort!) Bead of Uranium Glass, with Unintentional Textural Detail (fiber blanket oops) and carefully strung on Genuine Pleather!

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-25-2004, 04:10 PM
..."strung on genuine pleather..."

/falls off her chair laughing.

Now that is funny. And yes, that is a bit on the fugly side...it looks PEE yellow! Don't eat yellow snowballs??

LOL!

/ducks

~Danielle

somk
03-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Points should be removed for fugliness if anyone can identify the inlay image.
:eek:

Definitely remove points because my husband was jumping up and down saying "it's a glider it's a glider look it's a glider !"... so I guess it must be a glider :p

TheBlueBetween
03-25-2004, 05:38 PM
glider works for me - I thought air plane...

DonnaBee
03-25-2004, 06:42 PM
..."strung on genuine pleather..."

/falls off her chair laughing.

Now that is funny. And yes, that is a bit on the fugly side...it looks PEE yellow! Don't eat yellow snowballs??

LOL!

/ducks

lisilk
03-25-2004, 06:52 PM
glider works for me - I thought air plane...

I was thinking pteradactyl ? LOL.

Okay put us out of our misery Flynfire. What the heck is it ? :confused:

flynfire
03-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Yes, all... it was supposed to be a glider. Then things went terribly wrong. If you would like to see what gliders are supposed to look like, my website isFlyGliders! (http://www.flygliders.com/glider_jewelry.htm)

LLane
03-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Ok.... so I agree that some of these are not really the worst stuff I've ever seen, but agree with some that we have probably done better! :D

The ugly threads are always ones I can contribute to ...... so here goes!! The recipe..... take a couple of decent lampwork beads... add a couple dot challenged ones..... toss together in a bracelet..... garnish with a completely different color of yellow bead on the dangle and ........ voila...... ugly ugly ugly!!! (I have to admit.... I didn't see this at first.... and yes.... this was out in the world to sell!!!)
Peace,
Lois

DonnaBee
03-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Oh Lois! LOL! Yes, the acid yellow spacer, with the other colors... does add up to "garish"! :clap:

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Lois~

If you take beads (from left to right) 2, 4, 6 and 7 and put them together, there is hope.

Hey, now there's a thought! We could all exchange our fugly pieces and see if the person who received it can breathe it back to a non-fugly state of life.

/chuckle

;)

~Danielle

Patch
03-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Ok.... so I agree that some of these are not really the worst stuff I've ever seen, but agree with some that we have probably done better! :D

The ugly threads are always ones I can contribute to ...... so here goes!! The recipe..... take a couple of decent lampwork beads... add a couple dot challenged ones..... toss together in a bracelet..... garnish with a completely different color of yellow bead on the dangle and ........ voila...... ugly ugly ugly!!! (I have to admit.... I didn't see this at first.... and yes.... this was out in the world to sell!!!)
Peace,
Lois

And I could have bought it! It's cute!
Patch

flynfire
03-26-2004, 01:24 PM
The recipe..... take a couple of decent lampwork beads... add a couple dot challenged ones..... toss together in a bracelet..... garnish with a completely different color of yellow bead on the dangle and ........ voila...... ugly ugly ugly!!! (I have to admit.... I didn't see this at first.... and yes.... this was out in the world to sell!!!)
Peace,
Lois

Lois, it looks like candy! Yum!

sassybird
03-26-2004, 05:25 PM
I've made this a sticky so that everyone can keep up with the contest until it is over:)

Barrie
03-27-2004, 02:09 AM
You guys are so funny! Some of these aren't the most stunning, amazing wonderful stuff I know you can all do, but truly ugly? Well, maybe the pee bead on pleather (hugs to Donna!)! My dh and I made this pendant for my late Dad's wife. Dad & I found the emerald at a gem show in Seattle, his big plan was to have me make a piece, sell it and split the profits. Well, once his wife saw it, there was not parting with the silly thing! The emerald is 13 carats (which is pretty huge!), and those are round diamonds, all five of them! About 5mm round each (are you getting a concepte of the size of this thing yet?). Anyway, my Dad, the accountant (not jewelry designer!!!) insisited that this is the design of his dreams! So we made it up, he braved a brutal snowstorm on Xmas Eve to come to our house to pick it up, hovered over dh while he set the emerald (yeesh!), then off he went to brave the snowstorm home, to give his loving wife her Xmas present. Our phone rang about an hour later, he still wasn't home, and he had been looking at the pendant, told me how wonderful the workmanship on it was, then said "Who designed this ugly piece of crap!?!?". It weighs a mere 35 grams, solid 18k gold, worth a flipping fortune, and as ugly as sin!!! It now sits in a safety deposit box somewhere, waiting patiently for the day that my step-sister inherits it and lets me make it into something wearable!!! Moral of the story? Accountants aren't jewelry designers!!!
LOL (one of my fondest memories of my dad! Ugly necklace and all!!) :)

somk
03-27-2004, 02:20 PM
Barrie> rrrrm... beautiful craftmanship indeed but.. the design.. yes.. right.. It's true that to see this BIG piece dangling on this lil'shy chain is a tad weird LOL Maybe as a part of a big bulky AND expensive necklace ? Like with 2 ounces of gold and 6 more diamonds ? LOL I understand what a weight it must be for you *nods with concern*, send it to me.. I'll figure something out *whistles, looking at the ceiling* :angel:

glitterbead
03-28-2004, 06:49 PM
My fugly submission:

Earrings that I made about ten years ago!

flynfire
03-29-2004, 10:55 PM
LOL Are those Santa Claus' trapped in bottom there?
Darn. And I thought for sure I was going to win! :eek:

arlene
03-30-2004, 12:38 AM
i used to machine knit...even had some patterns in some of the machine knit magazines, but...

i had fuglies too and I think i still have them...i'll take photos and post tomorrow.

and honestly i really don't see anything so fugly here...

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-30-2004, 09:41 AM
LOL Are those Santa Claus' trapped in bottom there?

/falls off her chair laughing..

HAHAH!

~D.

pinkbubelz
03-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Personally, I don't see anything TOO fugly to stand. It goes to show that all of you are artists-- you have a decent eye for color and design...!

--Iris

DonnaBee
03-30-2004, 12:29 PM
LOL! Lee made Santa Claus earrings! lololol! :D

glitterbead
03-30-2004, 12:40 PM
LOL! Lee made Santa Claus earrings! lololol! :D

WAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

??? I don't see it ???

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-30-2004, 12:42 PM
LOL...the white poofs inside the bottom beads look like big fluffy beards, and the red below them look like skinny santa bodies.

/snickers

Now that is funny stuff.

She must be sending subliminal Christmas messages!

/wink

~D.

glitterbead
03-30-2004, 12:50 PM
LOL...the white poofs inside the bottom beads look like big fluffy beards, and the red below them look like skinny santa bodies.

/snickers

Now that is funny stuff.

She must be sending subliminal Christmas messages!

/wink

~D.

OH - now I see!!!

Those inside white fluffies are actually white flowers painted onto the outsides of the beads!

Thanks Danielle - I was starting to feel as though I had just stepped out of the ladies room with a wad of TP stuck to my shoe, and no one was gonna tell me about it! *sniffle*

DonnaBee
03-31-2004, 08:19 PM
Lee, don't feel bad. They told me my fugly looked like "pee!"

:( :D

busy91
04-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Some people like this pin, I think it is kind of fugly. It is VERY heavy. It is a Cabachon surrounded by various seed and small beads. Notice the thread showing. ;)

The worst part is, I actually wear it. I'm proud of all my FUGLIES!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2004/6937-PinkPin.jpg

McDuck
04-07-2004, 02:53 PM
VERY few of you know what a fugly is! And I wont point any fingers either. :D -Mary

Shirley C.
04-09-2004, 01:46 AM
every time i read this thread, i just have to laugh. i love it!

so tonight i accidentally hit the jackpot. when i posted my entry earlier in this thread, i couldn't find my bag 'o fuglies. tonight, i was looking for something else and they just jumped out at me (saying "booga booga booga").

so i'll post 2 of them.
the stone chips and blue thing was the first necklace i ever made. gack! metal-coated plastic beads, indian glass, 2 colors of aqua that don't match - give me a break!

the other one is a real charmer and is my official fugly entry. i can't even come up with anything bad enough to describe this catastrophe...

bbwwaaahahahaha!!!

beclectic
04-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Shirly C. - Those are very errr.... interesting. :) I really like the beads in the second one. Are you going to take it apart and try something else with the beads, perhaps make two completely different somethings with them?

OK, I've been waiting to put this up until I could get a picture that showed the problem.

I like the design of this Leash, I like the colors but this is one for the 'Don't Do This' book for new jewelry makers.

I couldn't find SS heshi beads but I found silver plated brass, and they looked real nice, and I really wanted heshis not rondells and they'll work, sure they'll work. :::keeping fingers crossed:::

They didn't work. :rolleyes: Never put silver plated brass beads in a place where they will be in constant contact with skin. After two weeks of wearing the leash about twice a week the brass started to show. I'm so glad this happened with something I made for me and not a custormer. I would have been so embarrassed :o. The silver plated brass worked great where the leash hangs past the neckline of whatever top I'm wearing but where they touched my neck, that's a different story. Some people have skin acid enough to take the silver right off plated beads and I'm one of them.

I still haven't found a source of SS heshi but when I do I'm going to remake this leash so I don't have to be ashamed of it.

Shirley C.
04-10-2004, 11:24 PM
Shirly C. - Those are very errr.... interesting. :) I really like the beads in the second one. Are you going to take it apart and try something else with the beads, perhaps make two completely different somethings with them? ...

i also like the beads in the 2nd one - my "official" fugly entry. i hadn't seen this thing in quite awhile, and when i pulled it out of the bag my second thought was that the beads are really nice and i should do something good with them. so perhaps one of these days i will.

i have to comment about these posts:
...I give you:

Lampworked Hollow (Snort!) Bead of Uranium Glass...
...it looks PEE yellow! Don't eat yellow snowballs??

well danielle, you're close... a few years ago, the northern california region of the ISGB made a group entry for the silly bead contest at the annual gathering. the norcal region is great - we've got a terrific bunch of folks, including sharon peters. so... each person participating had to make a body part. we each signed up for one so there wouldn't be duplicates. we would then put all the parts together to make some sort of space creature, since the theme of the contest was "2001 - a space oddity". jiley romney and i started to put the "creature" together at one of our monthly meetings at sharon's house. sharon gave us her body part - the head - but she had made an extra part out of uranium glass. it was a fart. :D

beclectic
04-11-2004, 11:24 AM
so... each person participating had to make a body part. we each signed up for one so there wouldn't be duplicates. we would then put all the parts together to make some sort of space creature, since the theme of the contest was "2001 - a space oddity". jiley romney and i started to put the "creature" together at one of our monthly meetings at sharon's house. sharon gave us her body part - the head - but she had made an extra part out of uranium glass. it was a fart. :D

That is too funny! Do you have a pic of this 'space oddity' I would love to see it?

diane555
04-20-2004, 01:52 PM
TurtleBay Jewelry :
Just wondering when this challenge ends? I didn't see a date posted anywhere but it wouldn't be the first time I've missed something important:D

Di

flynfire
04-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I've been checking the mailbox everyday for my prize (and the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstake check)! I'm pretty sure I won...

beclectic
04-20-2004, 06:38 PM
TurtleBay Jewelry :
Just wondering when this challenge ends? I didn't see a date posted anywhere but it wouldn't be the first time I've missed something important:D

Di

I don't think it was ever intended as a formal challenge. Just a fun thing to look at and post to now and again as fuglys revealed themselves.

lisilk
04-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I've been checking the mailbox everyday for my prize (and the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstake check)! I'm pretty sure I won...

Oh contare ! Wait 'til you see my latest scarf. I had color theory amnesia.

Li :D

glitterbead
04-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Oh contare ! Wait 'til you see my latest scarf. I had color theory amnesia.

Li :D

OMG - I have a scarf to add as well!!! And color theory amnesia is putting it LIGHTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

TheBlueBetween
04-22-2004, 09:41 PM
hahah - if you think your pieces can beat these, you should enter the Ugly Necklace Contest!

http://www.landofodds.com/store/press071503.htm

:) Pam

beclectic
04-22-2004, 10:02 PM
hahah - if you think your pieces can beat these, you should enter the Ugly Necklace Contest!

http://www.landofodds.com/store/press071503.htm

:) Pam

Those are the grossest things I've ever seen. My back hurts just thinking about wearing them. OK, not one fugly thing here can hold a candle to either of those beauties. LOL

TheBlueBetween
04-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Those are the grossest things I've ever seen. My back hurts just thinking about wearing them. OK, not one fugly thing here can hold a candle to either of those beauties. LOL

ROFLMA Barbara!!!! I was thinking the same, but wanted someone else to say it!!!! Those "necklaces" should make us all feel Very Good about our fuglies! LOL....

TurtleBay Jewelry
02-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Bumping this up again, as A) it was a fun thread to roll through again, and man am I ever laughing at us! and B) in case anyone has any new "entries".

;)

Carry on!

~D.

Retta Gates
02-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Eerm. :rolleyes: I actually like all the "fugly stuff" what does that say about me?

Oskadis
02-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Fugly! ;)

Ignuss-Fatuus
02-08-2005, 09:23 AM
kind of reminds me of the grin of the cheshire cat ;)
Okay, all. As promised, here it is. This fugly thing is about 4 1/2 inches wide! It's 20 gauge sterling. Only half of the chain is showing! Points should be removed for fugliness if anyone can identify the inlay image.
:eek: And I agree with some other posts that most of what I see here is not really all that fugly. But fun!

DonnaBee
02-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Some people think my darling new little babies, Stripe and Spike are fugly, what's the matter with people?: ;) :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2005/27514-bigbparts_001.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2005/27514-bigbparts_002.jpg

Seriously though.... I think I will have some Wearables I can post to this thread that you all haven't seen yet. I am so grateful for this thread. Wherever I am in my creative journey, well there is always this thread....

TurtleBay Jewelry
02-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Donna, I LOVE lizards!

They are too cute. Not a Fugly thing about them. :D

~D.

Andee
02-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Danielle - thanks for bumping this thread up again!

Gee folks, THAT you call fugly?! No way, none of the pieces here qualify for fuglies! :)

I'm sure to win with MY entry, tho! ;) It's a hollow, erm, heart - first and last try of that, it should've been a hollow round bead but went all wonky - with lots of smeared bead release inside, a couple of equally wonky dotted and twirled beads to go with it, showing off a total lack of spacer beads... And I even have it on my website... *bows head in shame* :D

TurtleBay Jewelry
02-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Andee! Oh my god, you are so silly. That isn't fugly at all!!!!!!!

/dies laughing.

Andee
02-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Danielle - did you have your eyes open when looking at the pic?! It SO IS fugly! ;) Honestly, I can't believe I really made a necklace of that heart instead of tossing it into the wonky-beads-glass.... :D

TurtleBay Jewelry
02-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Danielle - did you have your eyes open when looking at the pic?! It SO IS fugly! ;) Honestly, I can't believe I really made a necklace of that heart instead of tossing it into the wonky-beads-glass.... :D

Oh nonsense. If that's the case, then you just package that pretty little heart up and ship her along to me. I'll give her a nice new foster home, where I can hug her, and kiss her and call her Pretty! ;)

~D.

beclectic
02-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Andee - Its not just Danielle. I like the heart and the necklace. It looks like captured sunshine. Don't you dare throw that heart away. If you take that necklace apart please send me the heart or put it in the PIF because I know there are a lot of people that would like it. Maybe your photograph is so good that it makes the heart look better than it is but from the picture it looks great.

It is kind of funny how critical we each are of our own work. :)

Hey, I just thought of a way to fix my fugly glasses leash. Make heshi out of silver poly clay. That will be nice and light and inexpensive and will preserve the look I was going for. Now I have to go buy those little disk punches for poly clay. Durn, something else to buy, what a shame. :D

TheBlueBetween
02-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Oh nonsense. If that's the case, then you just package that pretty little heart up and ship her along to me. I'll give her a nice new foster home, where I can hug her, and kiss her and call her Pretty! ;)

~D.

No no no no, you must send her to ME! I love her. More than Danielle does ;)

Serioiusly, you got some more fugly wonkies like that feel free to send them right over here to the states. That heart has character Andee. Though I might have mixed it up a little by adding some contrasting purple in there for the necklace....

TurtleBay Jewelry
02-08-2005, 11:45 AM
No no no no, you must send her to ME! I love her. More than Danielle does ;)

LIES, Pam, LIES!

LOL!

Andee
02-08-2005, 12:45 PM
LOL - you're all crazy! ;) Believe me, the necklace is awful, might look better on the pic than in real! So, how am I gonna decide who gets it then? ;)

TurtleBay Jewelry
02-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Draw straws? ;)

beclectic
02-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Andee - don't forget to put a straw in there for me because I think there is sunshine in that heart. Anyway, I'm the oldest so y'all have to listen to me (as in: Mom said, "Listen to your big sister, while I'm out.") . :p :wink2: :D

TheBlueBetween
02-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Awe, too bad we can't share it. I was going to say Danielle can have it since she saw it first... but now that Barb is in on it, it seems like there is a real contest for it.

And I do think Barbara is right - there is sunshine in that heart. Sure you can pass it up Andee??? !

Andee
02-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Yeah, one of you can have it (if I can find it again...), but - YOU have to decide who it'll be! :evil: Oh, and no complaining later when you find out it is indeed as fugly as I said!! ;)

TurtleBay Jewelry
02-08-2005, 01:08 PM
/rubs her hands together with a gleam in her eye.

:evil:

;)

beclectic
02-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Andee - How are we going to decide among ourselves. You have to make a game of it. Like pick a number between 0 and 51 and the one of us that gets closer gets the heart. Or something like that so we all have an equal chance.

:-)

BTW, Pam if you look back at the posts you will see that you and I chimed in at almost the same time for that heart.

Let the games begin,

TheBlueBetween
02-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Andee - How are we going to decide among ourselves. You have to make a game of it. Like pick a number between 0 and 51 and the one of us that gets closer gets the heart. Or something like that so we all have an equal chance.

:-)

BTW, Pam if you look back at the posts you will see that you and I chimed in at almost the same time for that heart.

Let the games begin,

I pick three :) LOL - I have to go shower. I hope I don't miss the game.

Oskadis
02-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Wohoo! A side game!

(takes out the popcorn and leans back in her chair) :evil:

TurtleBay Jewelry
02-08-2005, 01:59 PM
I pick 29!

Andee
02-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Hey, stop it! You can't go and pick numbers before *I* chose one, duh!! ;) LOL! Okay, contestants are Barbara, Danielle and Pam, and you're all online right now, and my number is........................................................... (between 1 and 50). Go! :)

TheBlueBetween
02-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Hey, stop it! You can't go and pick numbers before *I* chose one, duh!! ;) LOL! Okay, contestants are Barbara, Danielle and Pam, and you're all online right now, and my number is........................................................... (between 1 and 50). Go! :)

And 35

TheBlueBetween
02-08-2005, 02:09 PM

TheBlueBetween
02-08-2005, 02:10 PM

(we can guess more than once, right? :evil: :angel: )

TheBlueBetween
02-08-2005, 02:11 PM
9?

TheBlueBetween
02-08-2005, 02:12 PM
40? It's no fun playing by your self... where are all my friends???

I'm off to go dry my hair...

oh, 22 too.

Andee
02-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Argh, where's Barbara? Okay, let's make a slight adjustment to rules - each of you pick 5 numbers. The one who gets closest to mine wins.

Pam is up with 3, 7, 35, 39 and ? (Oopse, you keep adding new ones, can you pick 5 out of them?)

TheBlueBetween
02-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Argh, where's Barbara? Okay, let's make a slight adjustment to rules - each of you pick 5 numbers. The one who gets closest to mine wins.

Pam is up with 3, 7, 35, 39 and ?

ok my last number is.......... um..... oh..... hu. Well.... 44. Yes, 44 is the winning number, I'm sure of it.

beclectic
02-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Boy, I sure wish I had looked at your numbers before I picked mine in a PM. Now we just have to wait for Danielle to pick and Andee can annouce the winner.

I love side games. That was a big part of the fun in the Chinese Auction. That and talking a lot.

Andee
02-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Okay, I've got Barbara's numbers, to be fair I'll post them here, too:
25, 6, 33, 41, 18

Do you three mind if Karen takes part, too? :)

Btw, what do I do if two of you are equally close to my number?

Oskadis
02-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Let the two closest compete in a final round ? Maybe the "whoever makes Andee laugh the hardest" wins :P

Andee
02-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Let the two closest compete in a final round ? Maybe the "whoever makes Andee laugh the hardest" wins :P

Oh yup, I'd like that, and I could do with a good laugh!! ;)

TheBlueBetween
02-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Karen can come out and play too :)

beclectic
02-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Karen playing is fine by me. :clap:

We'll have to have a tie breaker round like Karen suggested if 2 of us are equally close.

Oskadis
02-08-2005, 03:44 PM
OOOK

Lessee:

1, 13, 22, 38, 49

Tadaa!

Andee
02-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Danielle - :wave: - we're waiting for your numbers!! :)

I'll be offline now (it's past midnight here) but will check tomorrow if we have a winner! Nighty-night!

TurtleBay Jewelry
02-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Ok, sorry to take so long guys, had a few mishaps last night everytime I sat down to post. LOL.

Anyhoo, here's mah numbers:

5, 10, 20, 29, 45

May the best guesser win!

~D.

Andee
02-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Stand back - we have a winner! *drum roll* :)

My number was 13, and Karen picked it. Will need a PM with your addy, Karen! :)

Sorry Danielle, Barbara and Pam!! :wave:

I digged the necklace out and indeed, it IS every inch as fugly as I remembered it! :D

But darn, does that mean nobody is going to try to make me laugh?! :( ;)

TheBlueBetween
02-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Stand back - we have a winner! *drum roll* :)

My number was 13, and Karen picked it. Will need a PM with your addy, Karen! :)

Sorry Danielle, Barbara and Pam!! :wave:

I digged the necklace out and indeed, it IS every inch as fugly as I remembered it! :D

But darn, does that mean nobody is going to try to make me laugh?! :( ;)

Darnit! We should never have let Karen play! LOL! Congrats Karen :D

beclectic
02-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Congratulations Karen, when you get it you have to tell us if it is really Fugly in person or was Andee just being super critical of herself? :D

BTW Andee, it is dug not digged. It is one of those stupid words that has a different word for the past tense. No way you could have know.

Oskadis
02-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Oops! Wow. Heh ... I always say 13 is my lucky number ...

Sorry :P Hmm I will tell you how fugly it is indeed. Maybe take some more pics ;) If it is the picture embellishing it mine will prolly worsen it ;) So we will see :evil:

Yay ! :D

Andee
02-09-2005, 11:07 AM
BTW Andee, it is dug not digged. It is one of those stupid words that has a different word for the past tense. No way you could have know.

*bows head in shame* I DO know it, it's just that sometimes I write before my brains kick in... :D ;) (Did I just hear somebody asking "Only SOMETIMES?"? ;) ) Anyway, I like digged better! ;)

Moth
02-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Heehee! This thread cracked me up, but really there were only a couple of truly fugly things, and even those had redeeming qualities. LOL

Here is my contribution. It has since been dismantled and put out of its misery. This thing was just wrong on so many levels. LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2005/24464-africanleaves1.JPG

~~Mary

Even the list of ingredients is hideous
Bloodstone
African Opal (which I figured HAD to go cuz the bloodstone is African, right?)
Czech Glass (several kinds for good measure)
Copper
Crystals
Assorted jasper leaves
and the kitchen sink

Andee
02-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Mary - thanks for sharing, but really, that one's not a fugly either! :) As for the kitchen sink, did you hide that in the back? ;)

beclectic
02-09-2005, 11:37 AM
*bows head in shame* I DO know it, it's just that sometimes I write before my brains kick in... :D ;) (Did I just hear somebody asking "Only SOMETIMES?"? ;) ) Anyway, I like digged better! ;)

I like digged too, most little kids say it that way. I wasn't sure I should mention it or not but since English isn't your first language I though I should say something in case it ever made a difference on a job or something.

I know a little German but couldn't even begin to have an email dialogue in your language. Your English, especially in your (and Karen's too) use of colloquialisms is really impressive.

Karen - I'm looking forward to further findings about that heart. :P :D

Moth - Hmmm - that is not Fugly but it is pretty odd. I hope the ingredients found happier uses. :D However, I like the design, just not the blend of materials so you might consider redoing it in some other materials. I like the leaves hanging down that way.

Andee
02-09-2005, 11:51 AM
I like digged too, most little kids say it that way. I wasn't sure I should mention it or not but since English isn't your first language I though I should say something in case it ever made a difference on a job or something.

Barbara - thanks, I appreciate that! :) As for the conversation in a foreign language - well, you'll have to practice! A couple of years ago I wouldn't have been able to do it either... :) (And thanks for the compliment - I'm glad you couldn't see me blushing! ;) )

Beads-Me!
02-09-2005, 11:58 AM
You guys crack me up!! I'm glad this is back at the top of the pile - I love to giggle... :evil:

TurtleBay Jewelry
02-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Bah! Who let Karen play, anyway?! LOL.

Congrats hon! We wanna see a close up pic of how truly gruesome that heart is. ;)

~D.

Oskadis
02-14-2005, 05:32 AM
The "fugly" heart arrived !

Well Andee, too bad to dissappoint you but it is GORGEOUS! :)

My mother was drooling all over it, my colleagues are drooling all over it and my bf just loves it too ;)

Will take some pics with my poor camera anyway, wondering if I will be able to post before my bf leaves tho. Will see.

*goes on fondling the little amber heart necklace around her neck :D *

Andee
02-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Karen - I'm glad you're not too shocked by its ugliness, but GORGEOUS sure is too big a word for my fugly heart!! ;) And be careful with the drool - if any of that gets inside the hollow bead you will have a heck of a time cleaning it! :evil:

TurtleBay Jewelry
02-14-2005, 09:29 AM
I KNEW it was beautiful!! I just knew it!

Pics, pics, pics! ;)

~D.

Andee
02-14-2005, 10:12 AM
I KNEW it was beautiful!! I just knew it!

Pics, pics, pics! ;)

Danielle - argh, why does nobody believe me?!! ;) Whose pics do you want - mine or Karen's? I can post a couple more but since Karen calls her camera poor her pics might be truer to reality... ;)

TurtleBay Jewelry
02-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Andee, you are truly silly, woman!

I dont care whose pics we see, I just want more pics of a pretty heart on V-Day. I'm greedy that way. ;)

~D.

Andee
02-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Danielle - your wish is my command, here you are! Although since you're all determined in refusing to see its fugliness maybe I should better not post the pics in THIS thread? ;)

TheBlueBetween
02-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Danielle - your wish is my command, here you are! Although since you're all determined in refusing to see its fugliness maybe I should better not post the pics in THIS thread? ;)

OH MAN.... I SOOOOOO wish I'd won that side game. :crying:

Lucky Karen though - I know she will treasure it.

beclectic
02-14-2005, 12:21 PM
OK Andee,

Maybe if you tell us what it is you don't like about this heart we'll be able to see the flaws but I'm looking at the closeup and it looks very good to me.

:)

Andee
02-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Barbara - it's just wonky! The hollow bubble is totally off centre, the walls are too thick, there's lots of smeared bead release inside, the top is too flat, and it's just urgh! :)

TheBlueBetween
02-14-2005, 12:58 PM
there is no question that it's not perfect, but it's got it's own very special eclectic charm. Perfect isn't everything ;)

TurtleBay Jewelry
02-14-2005, 01:03 PM
I agree! And thank god for perfect not being everything, or I know I'd certainly be in trouble. :p

~D.

Andee
02-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Okay, you convinced me, I want it back! ;) (Nah, just kidding Karen, you keep it! ! :) )

Oskadis
02-16-2005, 05:54 AM
Heheeh :) *fondlefondle* Yeah wearing it today again ;)

Here are some pics I took at the office. It is daylight, no setup nothing.

Andee - your pics are good :D

OK, first one is pic without any retouching at all and just the light coming thru the window.

Second is with retouches, in "professional" style (although I suck and I have no photoshop - but I tried :wink2: )

Third is with the desklamp turned on - it just catches the light marvelously!

Fourth is on my fav jewelry display mat. Love how yellows/ambers pop on it :evil:

I would go on with experiments in this direction Andee - all ppl I encountered that know me have been drooling over it, especially one of my bosses that is very much into "stylish" and "high end".

Hugz!

Andee
02-16-2005, 06:26 AM
Andee - your pics are good :D

Karen - see? I told ya it looks better on my pics than in reality! ;)

I would go on with experiments in this direction Andee - all ppl I encountered that know me have been drooling over it, especially one of my bosses that is very much into "stylish" and "high end".

*thud* :) But you know how it is - if I tried to replicate this sort of bead I probably could try it a hundred times and still wouldn't succeed...

lunamoonshadow
02-16-2005, 12:52 PM
The "off-center" bubble in the heart probably makes it catch the light in a much prettier way than a standard hollow--I bet THAT'S why everyone is going nuts for it!! It looks like those perfect pictures of balloons & bubbles where they shade one side to imply light :D
(And I wish I had been in on that game!!!)
~~Lyn
Who is also impressed by Andee's & Karen's language skills--I pretty much always forget that you are both NOT 'native' speakers of a variation of english!

TheBlueBetween
09-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Here is a bracelet worthy of reviving this old thread. LOL - I'm still shaking my head over it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2005/27814-whatwashethinking.jpg

Andee
09-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Pam - LOL, I think fugly is too big a word for this bracelet! I imagine the dropping beads are a bit uncomfy in a bracelet, but the other beads are fun and the combo is, too! Ergo: not fugly! ;)

TheBlueBetween
09-16-2005, 11:28 PM
<snort> you are too kind. Fugly it is :) But you are right, it might be much improved with removing the long horror things and maybe adding more coral things.

Ritazart
07-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Bump!!! Is this the thread you were talking about Andee??

Andee
07-13-2008, 04:10 AM
Rita - yep, that's the one. It needs reviving! :)