PDA

View Full Version : Permanant jewelry and permanent art adornment

DonnaBee
03-20-2004, 12:40 PM
I can't figure out how to spell "permanent!"

Anyway, I met a nurse recently who was wearing a permanent bangle bracelet of solid jade. To have it put on, her thumb had to be dislocated, and then set back. Wild!

I saw a few mention on this forum that they have permanent toe rings? How is that done? I would be most interested in this, as the only reason I do not wear toe rings, is because they fall off me too easily, so I gave up on them.

There have been a couple great tattoo threads in the Glass Lobby, and I hope we see them here as well.

What other permanent jewelry and permanent wearable art/adornment is being done these days? Anyone?

Me, I like to change my jewelry a lot. But I know people who just want to leave their's on and never remove it or change it.

TheBlueBetween
03-20-2004, 10:09 PM
O.
M.
G.

Why would anyone do that? How big a pain is it to put a bracelet on?

Lara
03-21-2004, 12:27 AM
OUCH. WHY WHY WHY. I agree with Pam, it isn't hard to put on a bracelet. I bet it had some other significance. A fell nurse should know better, this nurse would never do that. OUCH. What if she gained a lot of weight or lost a lot of weight. :rolleyes:

Lara

Kalibabe
03-21-2004, 04:00 AM
I'd say you'd have to be bonkers to have something broken to put jewellery on!!!

I DID have my ears pierces about 12 times, but in my new job we are only allowed to wear 1 pair of earrings so i wear a pair only... that i change every day.

I ahve 3 rings that i wear all the time, and about 10 other rings that i change depending on mood and clothes...

i ahve loads of bracelets and necklaces....

I also have 2 tattoos...

I want more but, these ones i want to be meaningful, and designed by me, so i am willing to wait to get them right.

I REALLY like jewellery that is a little different and have many pieces from shows that are one-offs, or i buy bog standard jewellery, take it apart and change it a bit.

DonnaBee
03-21-2004, 10:22 AM
I'll tell a bit of this nurse's story, I don't remember where she said that she had this done, but she said that it was an Asian woman who sold her the bracelet and put it on her wrist for her.

She said that the woman started messaging her hand and wrist and that she didn't even really know she was ready to do the dislocation, she said all the sudden her thumb was moved over, shifted to the bottom of her hand, real quick and she claims it didn't hurt. Then the Asian woman quickly put her thumb back in place after slipping on the bracelet! She claimed it didn't hurt, and was done so quick she barely had time to object or protest! :eek:

It was a smooth polished jade bangle, about 1/2 inch in thickness (maybe a bit less) and she paid $400.00 The bangle would have to be broken to remove it, or have her thumb dislocated again.

I hope this didn't make anyone too squeamish!

Also, now I think of another aspect of permanent adornment: some of it is painful, and some isn't. I still want to find out about these permanent toe rings, I will Google it!

jacki
03-21-2004, 11:56 AM
:D squemish yes..but very interesting.

It is a great topic, there are so many forms of permanent adornment. Have you seen that wonderful Ndebele book that shows them putting the ash in the dots on the young girls to form those amazing patterns. It's incredibly painful....ASH!!! ouch. but they are so beautiful.

Around here I see quite a few people who have stretched their ear lobes to wear large plugs. Asthetically, I like the look of the plugs, especially the tusk or horn shaped ones. but wonder how they will feel about having a 1/2 - 1 inch hole in their ear lobe when they are fifty.....

I have a couple small (tiny) barbell shaped gold earrings that I use for spacers in some of my ear piercings since work allows only one earring per ear. They can be taken out, but only with help and a bit of work. I really prefer them to anything else now.

Alan Cross
03-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Interesting thread but you know I change my mind so often anything like that would not hold my intrest for that long....and I do wonder about how it will look when you are really old...not a pretty pic in my mind....
Alan :)

Nolly
03-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Interesting ... my gram wore Mexican sterling bangles and never, to my knowledge, took them off; well, my sister wears them now, so I guess ....

It's really fun to still hear the tinkle of the bangles whenever my sister is around. I love that part of inherited things.

Nolly

Blair
03-23-2004, 02:34 PM
I just found out this forum was up and running today. I've been on vacation. Love all the great eye candy!

I just wanted to answer the question about the "permanent" toe rings. I have two that I wear bundled together on the same toe. I got them in New Orleans in October and love them! The only reason I would say they are permanent is that they are solid rings, as opposed to being split. When I bought them the sales person smoothed a lot of lotion on my foot and "sized" the rings by trying various ones until we found the size that would go over the knuckle but not slide right back off. I can still remove them in the future if I want to, I just have to use a lot of lotion again and wiggle them back and forth over the end of the toe, but I haven't removed them since I got them. I can even wear them under thick socks in tennis shoes and not feel them. They also gave me a card with my size on it so I can order others in the future if I want to.

And I've got to admit, I did have a bit of a shudder when I read that the woman had her thumb dislocated to have that bracelet put on. Even if it didn't hurt... eeeewwwww!!!!

Blair

rightbrainbeads
03-24-2004, 07:36 PM
I think this is a very interesting thread!

I can easily imagine having a piece of jewelry be permanent... and it doesn't really make me too sqeamish to read about the nurse with the jade bracelet, especially since we now know that it didn't hurt. For some reason I can think outside of the box on this one... Maybe it's because I love having (my small) tatoos so much. And if there were a way to make my grandmother's engagement ring permanently stay on my finger, I'd probably go for it. That way I wouldn't have to worry about losing it...

Anyway, thanks for bringing this up, Donna! I'd never really thought about it before!

lynne

DonnaBee
03-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Hey everyone! Glad to see you guys here! :D

Blair, thank you for the permanent toe ring description, I hadn't got around to googling it yet, and so I am glad to read your response, I really appreciate that. :)

Now I have to decide if I might want some of these toe rings... I don't think my toes are among my best features, so maybe not. My sister has the cutest toes you've ever seen, (but not me, nope.)

kcpoke
05-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Hereís some advice from experience. Donít fool around with the adjustable, cheap rings. They pinch and irritate the toe and tarnish quickly. Go to a jewelry store and get properly fitted. They will cut down a wedding band to achieve a perfect fit for around $100. It hurts a bit but will slide over the pad and knuckle of your toe using a wiggling motion with a lubricant like Windex or liquid soap. Now here are the warnings. Donít get it too tight because after youíve worn it a few days your toe will change to accept it and it will seem to tighten, settle into your skin and become almost permanent. Also, if you and your lover put each other in toe rings, be prepared for a significant elevation of the libido. :evil: Of course, making love to celebrate will only make them more permanent. Iíve been telling my wife for a year that I was going to adorn her left, second toe with a permanent toe ring to celebrate my ownership of her body. I explained that when she became my wife her heart became mine so I permanently placed a diamond ring on her finger to show she was joined to me. She repeatedly rejected that idea until recently when she announced we both would go to the jewelry store to be fitted for permanent toe rings. :confused: I reluctantly agreed. When I put her toe ring on her, I told her it symbolized my ownership of her body and therefore, as my lover, she was mine and forever fitted to me. She says it will not come off because it has tightened and that she intends to wear it forever. She says it is very erotic wearing it knowing her husband has permanently adorned her and when people ask about it she has to say her husband put her in it, despite her reluctance. :clap: When she installed mine she insisted it become a permanent part of my left foot because she owns my body and no other woman may ever have me. I have accepted it and I must confess that in about 10 days it became permanent. I cannot feel it after it tightened and now it is almost impossible to remove. I donít know how many guys wear toe rings but my wife has made mine permanent so I have no choice. :angel: I hope you find a permanent toe ring you enjoy as much as we have ours.

SuzyQ
05-05-2004, 07:30 AM
Hmmm, dislocation? Not for me, but I can see it as a possibility. I do have a bit of advice for Donna. I use to work in a jewelry store. I can't tell you how many times someone would try on a ring and then not be able to get it off. We use to first try the lotion but usually the hand would start to swell as the person got nervous and it was manipulated. Not everybody would tell you right away :), I never went the lotion route. I would get a tray of ice cubes out, put them in a bowl with some water and submerse the hand. When the person couldn't stand the cold anymore I would reach in a slide the ring off. The cold constricts the blood vessels and makes the fingers thinner. I'll bet it would work great for your toe. Now, how do you carry that bowl of ice water with you.....?

McDuck
05-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Donna, You always come up with the best things! I have a tat of a poison dart from on my right foot. The next will be one on my butt cheek, you know peeking out the bottom of the swim suit, the last on my shoulder, a green tree frog with those loving huge eyes! But first I have to finish losing my weight or I will have a peramanent disfigured poison dart frog on my hiney, oh yeah get out the hiney con...

-Mary

toozygoot
05-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Donna - another great thread! I was thinking I would be seeing people's tats and I'm sure they'll come later. The thumb thing didn't bother me. I love high quality jade but I don't think I would go that far! I have a gold toe ring that I wear always it has a little heart cut out. I bought it for my DDIL law who is tall, thin and drop dead gorgeous! Except for her fat toes! I guess I never realized how fat they were so she gave it to me and I've worn it for years. Real comfy too! If I were my once svelte self, I would love a navel piercing! I think they are so sexy! I also think the scarrification that some tribes do is very artistic and the whole body tats that are tribal symbols. I also really really love the henna decorations that eastern women have done when they get married. It is just so beautiful!

Can't wait to see more contributions to this thread!

pat

Barrie
05-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Heh, heh, heh, here you go, Pat, how many tattoos would you like to see?? :evil: I posted my dragon tattoo when it was new, here it is again (on the left), along with dh's matching one (his is on his right calf, mine in the middle of my back - 14 inches long, I believe!). I'm dilligently looking for my next one. Apparently these things are addictive! Who knew! :evil: let me know if you want to see more! My dh is a veritable coloring book these days!!

MadameKali
05-06-2004, 03:02 AM
I don't have any "permanent" art yet, but I want a set of tattoos:

A phoenix that I am designing myself. The phoenix will be stylized, because I think bird tattoos are kinda ugly (no offense to anybody who has bird tattoos, I just don't like 'em for myself). The wings will look like wrought iron, kinda, and be reminiscent of flames. I'm going to put it in the center of the small of my back (typical girlie tattoo area) and have the tail kinda trailing down my.. y'know :) I want the phoenix because it is representative of my spirit.

The other, I want a stylized chinese dragon crawling up my thigh, to match my phoenix--for various reasons. I didn't want the dragon until I read that in Japanese mythologies, the phoenix and the dragon are connected. Now, I don't want my phoenix to be lonely ;)

toozygoot
05-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Barrie - I think it is so cool that you have matching tats! Sure I'd love to see more! When my son was in his mid teens he used to get magazines of tats and the artwork was amazing and I know it's even better now. If I were to get one - which will never happen at this point - I would get one of the rune that looks like the letter "P" which means that you are very comfortable with everything in your life and want for nothing plus a lot of other sentiments that seem to fit. Plus it's my initial! :D

pat

Patch
05-06-2004, 02:51 PM
I am not one to have permanent tatoo, I am too sissy, afraid of pain and my skin is healing very badly and slowly so I won't take any chances. I do like henne tattos my daughter do. She is very good at it and makes neat ones. She is putting together a book of tatoo designs and already a few people choosed her designs to be tatooed with. She don't have any herself either.
Patch-Denise

Barrie
05-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Here you go Pat, here's Randy's critters! A poison arrow frog, a gecko and the head of a 6 1/2 ft long burmese python (not finished yet - we're at 25 hours on this one alone, and still have another 15 or so more to go!!)

Denise, have you seen the temporary tattoos that are available nowadays? I had a customer buy some beads from me a while back, and it turns out she sells temp tattoos! www.temptatts4u.com There's some pretty amazing stuff there! LOL! I would love a bracleet or armband (but hate my upper arms! LOL!) But I had a few of her tattoos and absolutely loved them, great quality, and some of them are very pretty! And best of all, you can wsh them off later on!!!

toozygoot
05-06-2004, 04:08 PM
OMG! Whoever is doing your DH's tats is a real artist! I love the bamboo in there too. That gecko is really nice! And to think he's wearing a WIP! That's sort of funny! Nice work!

pat

DonnaBee
05-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Excellent! Hi everyone! Great to see all the posts and this thread alive and well! (I just now got caught up reading the new posts.)

(I still don't have a toe ring, yet!)

flynfire
05-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Barrie, have you named your dragons, yet? Old Chien Li Feng waves hello. He was once a very colorful character. We have both mellowed and paled in our old age.

Barrie
05-07-2004, 02:37 AM
Barrie, have you named your dragons, yet? Old Chien Li Feng waves hello. He was once a very colorful character. We have both mellowed and paled in our old age.

You're the second one to ask me that!! Nope,not yet! I guess it's because I can't see them too easily. I'm sure inspriation will hit one of these days!! In the meantime, I'm searching for the perfect one for the right side of my chest, I have another purple & pink one on my left chest, it's the mellowed and paled one! Well, so am I so I guess it's fitting!!!

Patch
05-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Denise, have you seen the temporary tattoos that are available nowadays? I had a customer buy some beads from me a while back, and it turns out she sells temp tattoos! www.temptatts4u.com There's some pretty amazing stuff there! LOL! I would love a bracleet or armband (but hate my upper arms! LOL!) But I had a few of her tattoos and absolutely loved them, great quality, and some of them are very pretty! And best of all, you can wsh them off later on!!!

Yes I did and some are great. I think I would choose a bracelet too though DD draw a wonderful evil cat that I love so much....for the day I'll need some drastic change.

Last summer at a festival, there was a booth where a young lady did airbrushed tatoos. They were cute but kind of expensive for temporary tatoos. I don't know how long they lasted. Too bad Hennť don't come in colors.

Patch-Denise

avcbob
01-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I found a great place for toe rings is Shelby's in Laguna Beach, CA. I bought my wife a wonderful stacked (three rings) toe ring set there. The middle one has a diamond in it! All 14k gold. She has been wearing for over two years and they look like new. We can get them off her with the Windex trick, but it 'aint easy!

I agree that the real rings are the only way to go - we messed around with the split rings and they were inferior in all ways.

If anybody want's the web address for Shelby's - drop me a note. [email protected]

Bob

katecarol
01-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Well this thread has drawn more interest than anything else lately. I think that a $400 permanent Jade bracelet is what everyone should have put on at about the age of 18, and it should hurt like H to get it off... that would solve the problem of years of dieting.

It reminds me of a 70 ish woman I saw in the mall during summer time with a very large busom showing above a low cut top. She had a rose bud tatoo, that had grown into a full blown rose :D

Carol

www.colgandesigns.com

Barrie
01-20-2005, 12:29 AM
ROFL! Since this thread last year, I've added 4 more tattoos to my collection and dh has about ................ack, who knows! He has one all but full sleeve, and most of the second, and is working on both legs now. He also has four rings in each ear lobe, the largest being 6 gauge (or is it 4?). He wants some flesh tunnels but I think they're gross (LOL!). As for toe rings, I've done one permanent toe ring for a customer in 14k gold with an iolite cabochon. We just made sure it was a snug fit over the toe knuckle, and not too tight around the toe itself. Personally, I'd be afraid my feet would swell or something!

LadyArowana
01-20-2005, 12:16 PM
I only just caught this thread, how could I have missed it. I love the tats, thanks so much for sharing, they are really beautiful. I don't have one myself, but I have a confession on bangles. I have a black jade one that is almost tight enough to need the dislocation thing ! Luckily I have very squashy hands. I fell in love with the bracelet but thought it would be way too small, my jeweler ( Chinese ) felt my hand joints and said it could be done if I trusted him. He put hand cream on, made me rest and relax my hand and arm and squashed my hand and it was done. Took it off the same way. I was worried I might never get it off after I bought it and he put it back on, but I do it myself now with hair conditioner. DH thinks it is a fairly mad thing to do, but I love it esp with other black things. Fiona

bdswagger
01-20-2005, 02:46 PM
I have one tat and have the designs for more. Will hopfully post a pic soon. It's my own design and signifies my independance from my mother.

I want to do tattoos myself. But it's illegal in this stupid state. There are quite a few underground artists doing them though, and it's not a huge deal the first time you get caught-IF you get caught. They confiscate your equipment. Second time its a huge fine and jail time. So I don't know...

It's legal if your doing 'cosmetic' tats... like permanent eyeliner and stuff like that. Crazy, huh? :rolleyes:

Love this thread!

Leigh

Christopher55
04-10-2006, 06:01 PM
I just happened on this site and thought that I would add my two cents worth. My girlfriend thought toe rings would be nice for me since I have a job that requires use of my hands around machinery and electrical panels and connections. She has given me 6--on both big, second and fifth toes, solid permanent sterling silver rings. She went the ice water route and also wrapped the tip of each toe to 'shrink' it so the rings could be worked on.

If I wanted to, I'm sure the rings can be removed the same way, but I cannot just pull them off--I tried once. Yes, they are comfortable and are not too tight. I also have anklets made of sterling silver curb chain, and those are also 'permanently' attached--no latch, just the chain itself.

She also has toe rings, ten of them--and anklets which are also permanently attached. (Of course, we both have the same style rings and anklets.) We both regularly wear sandals, and although we both get some people looking at our feet, it seems I'm the one who always gets asked about them--from both the men and women.

I guess its just the way it is today--men are wearing more jewelry--earrings, bracelets and such, and women are liking it more, especially if their man is comfortable doing it.

wccecilia
04-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Wow, this thread is ancient! I don't have anything to add about tattoos or permanent jewelry, but I have another trick for getting off too-tight rings.

My mom used this on me when I got my finger stuck in a metal spring in a camper way out in the woods (I was little, it was dark, and it seemed like a good thing to fiddle with while I was bored - until my finger wouldn't come back out!). She soaped up my hand with liquid dish soap and cool water (colder might have worked better, but we didn't have any ice, only water from a river. It was glacier runoff, though, so it was still pretty cool). The cool water shrunk my finger just a bit and the liquid dish soap made it VERY slippery. It came off in just a second or two without much pulling, really.

(Parenthetical comment: The rest of the story:
I was 6 or 7 years old, camping with my parents, little brother, and aunt and uncle somewhere way in the woods in Washington state. My brother (two and a half years younger) and I were in the camper, supposed to be asleep - he was, but I wasn't, and I was very bored. All the adults were out by the campfire, probably telling each other scary stories about bear attacks or something - there had been a bear the last time we went camping with them IN the lean-to with us. I realized my finger was stuck, and called for my mom. My brother was asleep and woke up to hear me yell. He panicked in his sleepy state, and started screaming bloody murder. I panicked because he sounded terrified and I thought something was eating him in the pitch black dark, so I started crying. My parents jumped up and raced to the camper, thinking a bear had gotten into the camper with us! My mom beat my dad there, but only because my dad took a detour to pick up the axe. They ripped the door open to see both of us in tears and completely unharmed. Once it was straightened out, my dad said he thought he was being smart to grab the axe, and my mom said she was quite sure she could take a bear on without one! End Random Cecilia Story)

Dallen
04-13-2006, 02:57 AM
All jewelry should be removable for safety reasons. especially metal jewelry. A bracelet, necklace, or ring can be easily caught by a machine, or caught on something dangerous, when you least expect it. Toe rings are fine unless your foot becomes swollen from an insect bite, or something else.

Dallen

wccecilia
04-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Ditto - there are quite a few cases of people whose fingers have been "degloved" by their rings getting caught on something. It's pretty horrifying - for that reason alone I'd be scared to have permanent jewelry!

Kallistos
04-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Just seen that this thread has been ressurected so I thought I'd add my permanent art - my new tattoo!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2006/34065-P4030598s.jpg

It's not a great photo, but all the good ones I have are nude and I didn't think you guys would want to see that!

Charlie.

Alan Cross
04-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Very cute Charlie...I love those stars.

olliewood0702
04-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Hi all,

I usually hang out in the watercolor forum but found this thread and wondered if it was about tattoos. My son is a tattoo artist in Buffalo, NY and is moving to a very elite shop in Atlanta, GA. I've attached a link with a bit of his work on it.

Tattoo's are still very popular and that guy sure does make the money!:eek: He is also a wonderful canvas artist.

Here are a few of his tatts

http://www.tattoodons.net/josh.html

Alan Cross
04-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Thats cool Darla he is sure good with the color!

Gypsy*
04-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Why did I pass this old/new thread over! Glad I finallly read it.
I've got a small-ish size bangle that I wear sometimes. I found it in a swap shop years ago, and my husband protested to spend $35 for it. I don't know the quality of the jade, but it is a rich, opaque, dark grass green. I have thin bones, so with patience, I can ease the bangle on or off my left wrist. No dislocating of MY thumb! But I've heard of this before.

I also have two tattoos--- three, really. I first had a yellow rose and leaf design done on a breast, hidden to all but my husband, his gift to me. One tattoo, and I was hooked--- Soon after, I got a 3/4 circle arm tattoo of red roses and leaves, and re-colored my first yellow rose to red. Later, I added to the breast tattoo, and it now encircles my boob. Not visible unless a low-cut bra or whatever. I get a lot of comments on the arm band, most people don't think it is real. The color is still vivid, although in ten years, and especially since surgery, the color lost it brightness, growing deeper. I'd get more, but my immunosuppressed system (and the drugs I'm on) forbids it.

My husband has a gorgeous eagle flying over the mountains on his arm, lots of detail and color, turquoise sky and purple mountains, looks like a post card. His first one is on his other arm, a representation of the ship he served on, while actively enlisted in the US Navy. I'd like him to get more, but he is refusing, saying this is enough. I thnk his real reason is that the talented artist who did our tats is now deceased. There are tattoo salons on every other corner here, and often they are closed down by the law. One does not know who to go to nowdays.

Great thread! Glad it was resurrected!

~Sylvia~

olliewood0702
04-19-2006, 02:03 PM
THANKS ALAN!

Yes Sylvia... tattoo's are addictive! he he he...but then you found that out. You really have to watch out for the 'scratchers' because there are alot of them out there. If you walk into a tattoo shop and it is neat and clean then it is more than likely safe but a dumpy, dirty place...well walk right back out!!

My son has had all his hepatitis shots and they are very clean and careful. Today you have to be.

barefootguy_va
01-01-2007, 01:28 PM
I also have permanent toe rings that my girlfriend has bought for me. So far I have 4, but she said she's going to be getting me more. She used cold water to shrink my toes when she put them on. They were tight at first, but after a while my toes got grooves in them where the rings sit, so now they are a perfect fit. She wears 8 now. All of ours are silver bands. I felt odd wearing them at first, but we live at a beach so we go barefooted or wear flip flops a lot, so now I've gotten used to them and enjoy them being seen.

esotericken
06-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Interesting thread. I have one question for all of you. What about a male wearing a jade bangle. The one I got for my wife is to big at 63mm. I was messing around with it the other day and decided to try it on. I really thought I could get it off but now the silly thing is stuck. I tried crisco to no avail. I like the feel of it and the coolness to the touch but deep down inside I do not think men are supposed to wear bangles.
I sure hate to break it and have been tempted but cannot bring myself to do it. what do you think....leave it on or break it?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2007/109938-mailejade0.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2007/109938-malejade8.jpg

BlindCaveFish
06-21-2007, 02:03 PM
A man who wears a bangle shows he is confident in his masculinity. If you like it, wear it! If you are too worried, paint a little skull on it... or a naked lady!
haha
just kidding, I like the bangle, I LOVE the tatoos. I have a little one I should take a photo of, DBF has 2 huge ravens on his back. They are awesome. Perminant jewelry does have safety risks, but everyone is free to do what they wish with their bodies. I can't stand the feel of toerings, so their out for me

Dawnt0721
06-21-2007, 02:52 PM
I think the bangle looks just fine on you!

linas
06-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Keep the bangle on!

Oh oh, I would love to get one of those permanent toe rings! Can anyone show a pic of how it looks? I have never heard of it before... I donīt thing we have it in Sweden but Iīll be sure to look it up :)

monkeymikey2000
09-10-2007, 01:19 AM
Hey, I'm new. I'm really into this topic! I love the idea of permanent jewelry, and I've tried and played with many types. I recently tried to force a wide titanium ring that was one size too small for me onto my thumb, while I got it too go on it turned out too be very tight so I left it for 4 days but it started to swell and get painfull so unfourtunally I had too cut it off:crying:
I want too try a ring on my big toe, my big toes have a fairly wide end so I think they would work very well for a permanent ring. I'm wearing some permanent jewellry now, I wear 2 chokers that are tied with permanent knots, one is hemp and the other is a leather cord, I guess they arn't that permanent, they can be removed by cutting them with siscors, but I still have to sleep and shower with them on. I also wear a "Turks Head" bracelet around my ankle. I don't know how familiar people here are with Turks heads but they are woven from one long piece of cotton cord into a cuff style bracelet so they can just slip over the hand. As they get wet with showering etc. they slowly shrink to a snug fit and then can no longer be removed without cutting it off. They have a very cool "surfer/hippie" look!

Mike

NunaInua
09-10-2007, 04:13 AM
Some tribes in Southern Alaska they bead elaborate peyote stitched bands and sew them closed on to the wrist so they don't slip off.

Old school wise....the men would wear labrets on thier chins and the women would tattoo lines down thier chins. Me and my other half were thinking of having this done when we get older :P

happyone4ever
09-10-2007, 09:57 AM
I just wanted to show you all my newest Tattoo...on the palm of my left hand:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2007/73540-100_1191.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2007/73540-100_1192.jpg

The "smears" are clouds:) What do you think??

Christopher55
10-14-2007, 08:19 AM
I haven't been here (to this site) much at all, Linas. I'll get a picture of the rings up as soon as I can.

Christopher55

Christopher55
10-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Don't break the bangle. It looks fine! Who says the ladies get to have all the fun, anyway? :-)

Christopher55
10-14-2007, 08:27 AM
......I want too try a ring on my big toe, my big toes have a fairly wide end so I think they would work very well for a permanent ring. I'm wearing some permanent jewellry now, I wear 2 chokers that are tied with permanent knots, one is hemp and the other is a leather cord, I guess they arn't that permanent, they can be removed by cutting them with siscors, but I still have to sleep and shower with them on. I also wear a "Turks Head" bracelet around my ankle. I don't know how familiar people here are with Turks heads but they are woven from one long piece of cotton cord into a cuff style bracelet so they can just slip over the hand. As they get wet with showering etc. they slowly shrink to a snug fit and then can no longer be removed without cutting it off. They have a very cool "surfer/hippie" look!

Mike

Well, Mike, as I said to Linas, I'll post a picture of the rings as soon as I can. I don't know if I'm considered right, but permanent rings can still be removed--if you work at it--or if you have them 'cut' off, so I guess your 'permanent' stuff could well be considered 'permanent'.

monkeymikey2000
10-18-2007, 02:11 AM
Hey, nothing is really permanent when it comes to jewelry. I call it permanent if it would be destroyed by removing it. (cutting) I could have both my permanent chokers off in seconds with a pair of sharp sisscors. I also once forced a wide titanium ring onto my thumb, The ring was purposly sized about a size and a half too small to be a tight fit in an attempt for it to become a permanent fixture on me. Well my wish came true! The ring was very tight and was NOT coming off in one piece! Unfourtunatly over the next few days my thumb slowly swelled and the ring got even tighter and very painfull. I toughed it out for another day hoping my thumb would adapt to it's ring and the swelling would come down but it got so sore I had to cut it off. It took me ten minutes to carefully cut through the titanium on each side of the ring with a dremel tool while holding my thumb under a slow running steam of water to cool the metal. So even titanium can be cut easily with proper tools and nothing is really totally permanent.

Mike

Christopher55
10-31-2007, 10:14 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Mike, the stuff is considered 'permanent' if it cannot be removed by just slipping or working it off--that is without the aid of tools, lubrication or excessive force (ouch).

For example, if a craftsperson uses pliers to close a chain link on an anklet to secure it on a person instead of using a quick release catch, the anklet would be considered permanent. As others have said, you take a chance of injury if this is done and the jewelry gets caught in something moveable. Likewise, if a solid ring is worked onto a toe and can't be removed easily without ice or lube, it would be considered permanent when compared to a toe ring that is split and adjustable.

If you want something to be 'more' permanent, I would say you have to talk to either a tattoo artist, as said in other posts on this thread, or a surgeon! ;-)

Dana T
10-31-2007, 10:26 AM
What a great thread! My sister has a jade bangle on that she can't take off, they've even let her wear it in surgery.

I'm very extensively tattooed, here's are a couple of Halloween examples. Have an appointment today, actually.

My husband says this is what I look like before coffee. She's in the crook of my left elbow.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2007/98336-danaarm1.jpg

This guy is up on my left shoulder. My left arm is completely covered, or "sleeved", and I'm doing angels all over my right arm.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2007/98336-danaarm3.jpg

Happy Halloween everyone! :evil:

Doxallo
10-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Heh, heh, heh, here you go, Pat, how many tattoos would you like to see?? :evil: I posted my dragon tattoo when it was new, here it is again (on the left), along with dh's matching one (his is on his right calf, mine in the middle of my back - 14 inches long, I believe!). I'm dilligently looking for my next one. Apparently these things are addictive! Who knew! :evil: let me know if you want to see more! My dh is a veritable coloring book these days!!

WOW Barrie - learn something new every day!! I have 3 myself...don't know if I'll ever get any more. Maybe I'll snap a pic of one or two of them some day and post them. :)

Sneuart
11-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Interesting thread. I have one question for all of you. What about a male wearing a jade bangle. The one I got for my wife is to big at 63mm. I was messing around with it the other day and decided to try it on. I really thought I could get it off but now the silly thing is stuck. I tried crisco to no avail. I like the feel of it and the coolness to the touch but deep down inside I do not think men are supposed to wear bangles.
I sure hate to break it and have been tempted but cannot bring myself to do it. what do you think....leave it on or break it?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2007/109938-mailejade0.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2007/109938-malejade8.jpg

So long as you don't work around any machinery that might cause you to get stuck or lose your hand, keep the bangle... I think Jade is a unisex stone. It's not intricately carved with flowers, so I don't think it is too feminine.
A red one would be cool, I love red jade, especially if it had a dragon carved into it.

monkeymikey2000
11-17-2007, 05:35 PM
I'd leave the bangle on. people that see you all the time will get so used to seeing it on you they won't notice anymore. I have a hemp choker that is tied around my neck with a permanent knot, so for a year I wore it 24/7,sleeping, showering, swimming etc. When I first put it on I had all sorts of comments, but after a few weeks my friends and co-workers got used to seeing me wearing this choker, it was like a part of me. About 6 months ago I wanted to make a new, thicker one so I cut my choker off, so I had nothing around my neck for 2 weeks except a faint tan-line. Some of my friends would ask "Something looks different about you" but they couldn't really tell it was gone! The girl who cuts my hair said the same thing untill she went to trim the back of my neck and realized she didn't have to shimmy my choker up my neck to trim, she said "oh, your choker is gone, I thought something looked different" 50 years ago a man wouldn't even think about wearing an earring, now men everywhere are wearing them. I've also seen men wearing hemp bracelets and hemp is white and looks just like your bangle from a distance.

Ritazart
12-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Polly, I don't know if this thread is still active, but I love your tattoo. I never would have thought of putting one on the palm of my hand. Was it painful? I have one on the back of my left shoulder, a unicorn. I had the original one done in just black. It cost me $20 and a bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill in 1984. I had it colored and spiffed up a couple of years ago and it cost me $65. I want another, but I want a dragon fly or a celtic band around my left ankle. I can't decide, and until I do I have to wait. I have thought about drawing my own design, but haven't really come up with anything I like enough. I would also love a toe ring. I tried wearing my diamond ring on my toe, but the diamond kept turning a little and poking the toe next to it. I will have to try the soap or lotion trick and see if I can get it on a different toe. I like the way it looks with my sandals on.

happyone4ever
12-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Hello Rita, the Moon was the funnest Tattoo I have ever gotten cause everyone was telling me oh you wont be able to stand it and the Man who did it for me was calling EVERYONE in the shop over to watch, I didnt even flinch;) He then took a pic of it since it was his FIRST palm tattoo,LOL:) The reaction I get from people is AWESOME!!! I designed it and most of my other ones soI would do the designing myself if I was you then you can tell everyone that it is YOURS!!! I also have a thumb ring tattoo that my Mom did it years ago for me...I have a total of 11 so far;) I dont think that the palm was painful at ALL but I wanted it really bad!!!

But the palm is my strangest yet;) thanks for you sweet comment;) Do we get to see pics of your unicorn???

Ritazart
12-17-2007, 10:11 PM
As soon as I can get a photo I will post it. The first version of my unicorn was kind of masculine so I wanted it spiffed up. The guy who did it does great work and I had seen some of his cover stuff so I just told him to make it more feminine and I trusted him as far as colors went. He made it with purple and teal. It is awesome. Now I have no idea where he has moved to and I would love if he could do my next one.

monkeymikey2000
02-27-2008, 01:36 AM
I decided to try the permanent ring thing again! I bought another titanium ring to force onto my thumb, this one is a half size bigger than the last one I tried. A size 12 fits my thumb normally and this one is a 11. I iced my thumb, put dish soap on it and slowly worked the ring on. The ring at first seemed very tight but still OK but the next day it seemed to hurt more and still was very tight and quite uncomfortable and I thought it might have to come off (most likley by cutting) Today it seems a little more comfortable but it is still quite tight and there is a tiny bit of swelling but not like the last ring. It looks like the ring is kind of compressing my thumb and making itself a groove so I hope it loosens a tiny bit and becomes somewhat comfortable!

Ritazart
02-27-2008, 01:58 AM
Owwwwy, don't think I could take that!!

monkeymikey2000
03-05-2008, 12:14 AM
My thumb ring has gotten quite a bit more comfortable over the last few days. I havn't tried, but I think it would still be hard to get it off if not maybe impossible, but the ring has formed a fairly deep grove in my thumb and I can spin it easily now and it doesn't feel nearly as tight as it did a week ago.

Ritazart
04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Bump, Barrie you need to add your new tat here!!! :heart:

Ritazart
05-16-2009, 10:41 PM
bump, so where are the new tats guys??

Ostrogoth
11-13-2011, 01:38 PM
When I was much younger I had a necklace,made of a continuous loop of silver chain. Wore it 24/7, when I put it on it just fitted over my head. However my head has grown somewhat, and it's nio longer removable except by cutting. No plans ever to do that though.