PDA

View Full Version : Project Ideas?

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Well, I was just thinking that we need to get everyone involved in a project of sorts that we all can work with.

Soooo.........any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

~Danielle

Shirley C.
03-20-2004, 01:34 PM
hmmm... nobody wants a project, eh? :D

here's a suggestion - pick 3 colors (perhaps an unusual combo) - make a piece in those colors. yeah, i know, it's rather elementary - but it might be interesting to see all the different things that folks come up with.

possible combos:

green/purple/orange

yellow/blue/brown

red/brown/black

------------------------------------------------------------------
another suggestion: make a piece that incorporates an object that has personal significance and would tell folks something about the maker. the object itself could be something personal, or an artistic representation of something personal.

ok folks, other suggestions? my brain isn't totally engaged yet...

TheBlueBetween
03-20-2004, 01:35 PM
or we could pick a theme - like celestial, or spring, or floral, or awards ceremony or cover girl, or cowgirl...

beclectic
03-20-2004, 08:33 PM
hmmm... nobody wants a project, eh? :D

here's a suggestion - pick 3 colors (perhaps an unusual combo) - make a piece in those colors. yeah, i know, it's rather elementary - but it might be interesting to see all the different things that folks come up with.

possible combos:

green/purple/orange... <snip>

I'm originally from New Orleans, so these colors are almost Mardi Gras Colors (to me) ..green/purple/gold... maybe we should save these colors until sometime before next Mardi Gras and use them then for a project...of course that is a year away, we just had Mardi Gras.

I like the idea of a project. I thought TheBlueBetween's ideas were good. I'm open to almost anything.

~>Barbara<~

TheBlueBetween
03-21-2004, 03:46 PM
or! and I only say this because it's a project I've had going on in my head for a few weeks - and I've already started collecting the beads...

what about an "under the deep blue sea" theme?!?! Think coral reefs, sunken treasure, beautiful colors... lot's of possibilities there... and summer is coming...

beclectic
03-21-2004, 06:25 PM
or! and I only say this because it's a project I've had going on in my head for a few weeks - and I've already started collecting the beads...

what about an "under the deep blue sea" theme?!?! Think coral reefs, sunken treasure, beautiful colors... lot's of possibilities there... and summer is coming...

Ooooo.... :D I like that idea a lot. Don't forget shells and sand and sunsets on water.

Oh, I am getting some ideas.

~>Barbara<~

DonnaBee
03-21-2004, 07:33 PM
"under the deep blue sea"

Hmmmm... I have this bracelet planned, I have most of the components gathered..

It's going to be a theme for a teacher who is on her summer break, I want it to be in the "treasure bracelet" style, knotted waxed linen and I have shells, and pewter charms including a laptop!

I will get going with it and submit it for the project.

Shirley C.
03-22-2004, 02:02 AM
oh, i have the PERFECT piece in progress for "under the deep blue sea". i was going to enter it into a juried jewelry show (my entry for the 4 seasons bead exchange jewelry show), but i never finished it in time. it still needs to be restrung. maybe this will give me the incentive i need.

beclectic
03-22-2004, 07:29 AM
What about it Danielle? Can we do 'Under the Deep Blue Sea'? Can we, huh, can we, please? Pretty please, with sugar on top, or maybe foam and waves on top? :clap: :clap:

OK, I'll calm down but I just remembered this fantastic project I never did and I want to do it now and it would be perfect for 'Under the Deep Blue Sea' and I have all the beads, stringing materials, etc. for it, and... and....

OK, I'll admit it this is starting out as a 'Silly Day' which is really good for a Monday since it is usually 'Sleepy, Draggy Day' on Monday.

How much time is usually allowed for a project? The piece I have in mind is going to take me a while, it incorporates some techniques I haven't tried before or maybe it will go like a flash. I'm always nervous that someting I haven't done before will come out awful. I've been know to do projects over as many as 4 times until it is right.

:D
~>Barbara<~

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-22-2004, 09:42 AM
^-----Victim of Sleepy, Draggy MOnday...

Sure, the Deep Blue Sea idea is kewl with me. Being "TurtleBay", my muse is the water, so I can easily step in line with this project.

I think as far as a time line goes, maybe a month or so? I'm unsure how long projects usually go for, but this seems more than sufficient. Unless you all want more or less, I guess we'll set it at that.

Everyone good with this idea?

I think I need some OJ before I become a zombie for the entire day. /groans

Off to the kitchen for sustenance!

~D.

beclectic
03-22-2004, 10:06 AM
A month sounds good to me. I'll start tonight.

~>Barbara<~

TheBlueBetween
03-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Yay!!! I will have to get started ASAP since this is going to take awhile too - mine is going to be crazy.

Should we start one of those project thingys so we can upload our finished pictures there? Or keep it casual and just post to this thread with our finished pieces?

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-22-2004, 10:32 AM
I'd say keep it casual and just post it here, or when the month is up, we can start a "Finished Project "Deep Blue Sea" Pics" thread.

Works for me!

~Danielle

DonnaBee
03-22-2004, 11:11 AM
It all sounds really good to me!!!

I am going through my old Bead and Button mags, and my Kate McKinnon Workbook looking for ways to assemble my beach theme treasure bracelet... and keep getting distracted of course.

(Now I have to go and Google Virginia Columbo, I believe it was, whose amazing masks were featured in the Oct 2003 B&B... Masks... I hope at some point those who create masks post in this forum...)

You are all inspring me to get started though, after all, this will be the teacher's end-of-year gifts and I must get on this! :)

DonnaBee
03-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Work in progress, Deep Blue Sea Project. Gathering materials, making choices, narrowing it down.

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-22-2004, 02:48 PM
Hmm, here goes Donna trying to make the rest of us look like a buncha' slackers.

/nudges her bead pile into a drawer and shuts it fast!

Beads? Shells? What bead and shells? I didn't see any! Nope, not a thing.

/whistles innocently...

:p Darn you Donna, now I have to go scrounge around too, though the one I'm working on at the bench today might be perfect for this.

/scurries off to assess the situation

~Danielle

DonnaBee
03-22-2004, 04:41 PM
:evil: :p

lisilk
03-23-2004, 01:13 AM
Just a thought... Someone may want to write this up ( when you do pick one ) as an official project and submit it to the Projects system. This way others who haven't yet discovered the new forum but do check the projects page could have a chance to join in as well.

Li

Retta Gates
03-23-2004, 05:31 AM
Sounds fun to me, I have some large shells I have been needing something to do with... :p

beclectic
03-23-2004, 07:27 AM
Work in progress, Deep Blue Sea Project. Gathering materials, making choices, narrowing it down.

That's funny, I was doing exactly the same thing last night, except with my beads was a drawing pad to try out some ideas. Looking at your little shells in the upper right of your picture kind of gives me an idea for one of the elements I wasn't satisfied with in my drawing. Hmmmm.....

To bad I have to work today, I'd rather continue pursuing this project. :(

~>Barbara<~

DonnaBee
03-23-2004, 08:03 AM
Thank you Li, here is the link to the page to start a project:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/create_project.php

Have fun everyone! If someone should need only a few shells for the Deep Blue Sea project, just PM me your address, and I will put a few in the mail to you free-of-charge. :) I have a few to spare. I had picked them up inexpensively when Hobby Lobby had a 1/2 price sale. (They have holes drilled, they are pretty nice.)

I may be gone from WC for a couple days, depending how I feel after my Remicade infusion today (for RA). I wanted to post that somewhere, in case anyone wonders why I didn't post for a few days! I don't get sick or anything, but I usually feel too *blah* to post for about two days: as in no energy, motivation, or coherent thoughts! :eek: Then in two weeks I will be ready to take on the world! (I do this every eight weeks.)

I love our new forum! It's a good one.

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-23-2004, 09:40 AM
I'll see if I can get working on submitting the project today as on "official" kinda' deal.

Donna, HUGS!!!!! Hang in there darlin', and if you decide you just can't stand to be away, you know where to find us!

/gives you back some of your beads...
/whistles innocently...

:p

~Danielle

lisilk
03-23-2004, 03:27 PM
I'll see if I can get working on submitting the project today as on "official" kinda' deal.

Donna, HUGS!!!!! Hang in there darlin', and if you decide you just can't stand to be away, you know where to find us!

/gives you back some of your beads...
/whistles innocently...

~Danielle

Danielle,

If you submit a project, please p.m. me and I'll go over it with a moderator for approval.

Cheers,

Li

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks Li....I haven't gotten around to it yet today..I have a cranky child that won't nap and I've felt crappy myself. Hoping to get it done this evening unless someone else beats me to it!

Cheers!

~Danielle

lisilk
03-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks Li....I haven't gotten around to it yet today..I have a cranky child that won't nap and I've felt crappy myself. Hoping to get it done this evening unless someone else beats me to it!

Cheers!

~Danielle

Take your time, most people are still getting used to the forum and there's still no moderator. Take care, so sorry you and babe are under the weather.

Li

beclectic
03-25-2004, 07:28 AM
One last project question from me.

Is April the 19th the day we will post our finished project to a new thread? That would be exactly 4 weeks from March 22nd. Or do we post our finished project on April 22nd?

I do some Project Management at work so I am compulsive about knowing the exact end date for things. :::sheepish grin:::

DonnaBee
03-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Here is my "Deep Blue Sea" Project entry! (I will be making several more "Sea" inspired pieces this month.) Thank you Pam and Danielle so much for the project idea, it really inspired me to try something that is different, for me.

TheBlueBetween
03-27-2004, 11:52 AM
It's beautiful!!! :clap: :clap:

(I haven't even started mine yet :rolleyes: )

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Oooohhhhhhh, BeaUUUUUUUUUUUUteeful, Donna!

I love it...although I do have a bit of a soft spot for bangles.../whistles innocently.

However, I think I've managed to FUBAR up this entire project. I was trying to get it into the official Project thingamabob, but I flubbed that up as well.

And now since Donna's gone and shown us all up, I may just have Li delete my submission and we'll try and do the next project idea all official like and such.

Oh, and btw, you all still have until the 22nd of April to finish your pieces and post them.

/races back to her workbench to find something sea-inspiring!

~D.

DonnaBee
03-27-2004, 12:06 PM
And now since Donna's gone and shown us all up

:D That's what I'm here for! ;)

Seriously though, thank you everyone for kind words about my latest creation! :)

TheBlueBetween
03-27-2004, 12:09 PM
One last project question from me.

Is April the 19th the day we will post our finished project to a new thread? That would be exactly 4 weeks from March 22nd. Or do we post our finished project on April 22nd?

I do some Project Management at work so I am compulsive about knowing the exact end date for things. :::sheepish grin:::

Well I'm inclined to say April 22nd because I'm going to need all the time I can get! (April 30th would be even better LOL). But I hope people post their finished works as they go along!

beclectic
03-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Well I'm inclined to say April 22nd because I'm going to need all the time I can get! (April 30th would be even better LOL). But I hope people post their finished works as they go along!

Really, I thought we weren't supposed to influence each other. I like your idea better.

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Under normal circumstances, the element of surprise is what's usually done in most "official" projects, methinks, however, since I flubbed the submission for the Project thingamabob, we'll just do this one kinda' casual, I reckon. Unless I'm able to fix my submission with Li's help. Kinda' crazy this weekend though, hubby is active duty Coast Guard and has been gone, but just got home yesterday.

Anyhow, I'll try to get to it!

Happy creating!

~D.

P.S. Pam, I mentioned this in an earlier post, but yes, you have until the 22nd to finish your piece. :)

DonnaBee
03-27-2004, 12:35 PM
oops. I am really sorry if I was supposed to wait... I was *not* thinking... at all...

You know what....

I will make another piece, (because I am doing a series with no two alike anyway.) I was going to anyway, and if you all want to set up a project where we all show it on one day, I will have a surprise to show! :) :) :)

Okay, no harm done. Peace... :cool:

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-27-2004, 12:37 PM
1,000 lashes with a wet noodle Donna!

/giggle

~D.

DonnaBee
03-27-2004, 12:47 PM

TheBlueBetween
03-27-2004, 11:13 PM
In case any of you need some "under the deep blue sea" inspiration:

http://www.seasilks.com/wst_page4.php

My son likes to list off what everyone's favorite colors are... Dad's fav is Tie Dye - well Luke wanted to know what tie dye was so we were looking on the internet to show him (earlier today we were looking on the internet for the words to Puff the Magic Dragon - what a geeky family we are, hu?) and came accross these. Just thought I'd share...

lisilk
03-27-2004, 11:22 PM
TurtleBay Jewelry is writing up an official project. It should be up soon.

Those silks are lovely.

Li

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-27-2004, 11:26 PM
PAM! I totally have to have that orange turtle in that gallery link!!!

/swoooon

~D.

TheBlueBetween
03-27-2004, 11:27 PM
more inspiration:

http://nature.org/magazine/fall2002/coralreefs/ and click on the slideshow link

http://www.terragalleria.com/pacific/australia/great-barrier-reef/great-barrier-reef.html

http://www.billwood.com.au/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/pictures/galleries/newsid_1842000/1842534.stm

http://www.divegallery.com/Leafy_Sea_Dragon.htm - this is the sea dragon we saw at the aquarium yesterday that I tried to pass off to my 3 year old as Puff the Magic Dragon - he so wanted to find Puff (who lives by the sea) and was so dissapointed that we hadn't seen him that I resorted to telling him that this was Puff. He's a smart kid and didn't buy it. So now I'm the one who will be buying something - either a cd with Puff's song on it or one of the movies... this kid gets something in his head and I can not distract him - he was up at 5 this morning telling me it was time to go to blockbusters to get the Puff movie (they didn't have it). LOL.

TheBlueBetween
03-27-2004, 11:33 PM

/swoooon

~D.

I *knew* you'd like that one Danielle!

beclectic
03-28-2004, 09:19 AM

/swoooon

~D.

Beautiful I agree but the one called Mermaid, with the seahorse tatoo is to die for. All of the silks are beautiful. Thanks for posting that link Pam, Helen Goldberg is obviously an accomplished artist.

I also want to say thanks for the sea dragon link. What interesting creatures and I was surprised to learn that they are 18" long at maturity. That is much bigger than I expected when I was looking at the pictures.

TheBlueBetween
03-28-2004, 11:05 AM
I also want to say thanks for the sea dragon link. What interesting creatures and I was surprised to learn that they are 18" long at maturity. That is much bigger than I expected when I was looking at the pictures.

Yes they are quite surprising to see in real life too - at the aquarium they are in this big tank with these really tall sea grasses and there are 2 or 3 dragons in there with them and they just look like seaweed when you first look at them - then you realize they are swimming/floating up and down in the tank and they blink their eyes and really seem to be looking at you. They are very cool.

Glad you are liking the silks (there are 4 pages of them, in case you didn't realize) - I like the coral reef ones the best - especially the one with the divers off in the distance... but then I used to dive...

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-01-2004, 09:22 AM
..Bump!

Lest we forget about this.

I am finally submitting a revamp of my first project submission to Li to see if she can help me get my act together finally..

Cheerio!

~D.

Cyndi L
04-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Ohhhh! I wanna play too :-)

I had already started my next neckpiece when I read this thread. Since the new piece is using abalone and pearls, I think it'll work! Now I've got incentive to get moving on it. I'm estimating 30 hours... Wish I could just sit down and finish these in one swoop :-)

beclectic
04-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Ohhhh! I wanna play too :-)

I had already started my next neckpiece when I read this thread. Since the new piece is using abalone and pearls, I think it'll work! Now I've got incentive to get moving on it. I'm estimating 30 hours... Wish I could just sit down and finish these in one swoop :-)

That would be quit a swoop. It would be a marathon swoop. :D

I certainly understand your wish. I have to do all my work in bits and pieces and it is slow. I want to finish so I can see if my idea is going to work or not but there are never enough hours free. Work is interfering with my fun, bah!

Welcome to the project. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's contributions on April 22nd.

Cyndi L
04-01-2004, 12:50 PM
That would be quit a swoop. It would be a marathon swoop. :D

LOL! Yeah, I usually am able to spend about 2 hours a day on beads. But it doesn't work out *every* day, so... We'll see. I'm going to try to make it by April 22, but if I don't finish on time, I'll post what I've got so far!