PDA

View Full Version : Finishing question?

farkel
03-20-2004, 07:34 AM
I've read the books but I still am not satisfied with the finished look. A friend loves those illusion necklaces so I make a few of them. When I put on the magnetic clasp (which I love) I just can't seem to make the transition smooth. I put fireline through the clasp then back through a seed bead then a crimp, seed bead, crimp...how do some of you finish off a spider wire or fireline necklace?
Thanks, fran :confused:

Moth
03-20-2004, 09:08 AM
I have never tried the spider wire myself, but I have fondled it in the sporting goods aisle at Wal~Mart.

If it will hold a knot well, I would thread the end through a clamshell bead tip, thread a seed bead next, tie a double surgeon's knot around the seed bead, glue the knot with GS Hypo cement, close the clamshell and attach that to the clasp loop.

Now, if the spider wire won't hold a knot, I would think to string two large crimp tubes and a smooth seed bead. Take your line through the clasp loop, back down into the seed bead, then through one of the crimps. Crimp the first crimp, take the line through the second and crimp that one. I am not fond of the crimps though, and don't know if they would be prone to cutting a thread such as spider wire. That was why I suggested using two crimps, because then the tendency to really clamp down on them would lessen. Crimp gently, but securely and use good quality, smooth crimps. Crimp the second crimp so that the very tip end of the thread is inside the crimp. I don't know if you would be able to trim the end close enough to the crimp without there being a pokie there.

Having not tried the spider wire, these are my best ideas. This is what I would try first.

~~Mary

TheBlueBetween
03-20-2004, 10:44 AM
Here are some instructions for an illusion necklace:

http://www.beadshop.com/illusionfloat.html

Otherwise I like the clamshell idea for fireline too.

Hope that helps!

farkel
03-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Thank you both for your help with this. Mary would you believe I bought some sterling clamshell beads a few months ago just for this but they got put away in my overstuffed cupboard and completely forgotten :crying: ...I gotta go sort that space better :o I know my necklaces will show much improvement with this method.

Pam thanks for the website I will be strolling there in a minute.

I am so glad we have this new forum so I can learn more about jewelry construction techniques and see the beautiful work of the artists.

Have a great day,
Fran