PDA

View Full Version : Saturday 3/20 Wearable Art Show and Tell

Moth
03-20-2004, 01:41 AM
Well, I looked all over and didn't see a show thread yet for today, so here is one from me. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2004/24464-naomifull2o.JPG

Small elk purse with a bead bezelled cabochon of azurite/ malachite in matrix. Beaded strap and all hand cut fringe. Each strand of fringe is knotted individually. This is one of the few bags that I made all myself. Usually my partner does the sewing and I do the embellishing, but this baby is all mine.

Let's see what YOU have been working on.

~~Mary
:D

Shirley C.
03-20-2004, 02:06 AM
ooooooh, mary, i LOVE it!

mistymade
03-20-2004, 02:18 AM
Mary, your purse is gorgeous!!! I'm curious, how long did it take you?

Here's one of my pendants, chinese writing stone set in silver.

Moth
03-20-2004, 02:25 AM
Thanks you guys!

Misty, it took me 17 hours of actual work if I don't count the drawings and pattern making. What took the longest was cutting all the thin leather fringe and knotting it. Beading the bezel for the cab was probably the next most time consuming.

Gorgeous pendant! I always felt that the writing stone looks so compelling.

~~Mary

mistymade
03-20-2004, 02:28 AM
Wow, 17 hours!!! It really is gorgeous! I love the fringe! :clap: :clap: :clap:

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Mary~ Gorgeous bag! I bet it's as soft as buttah. /wink

Misty, beautiful as always! I really like that writing stone. I've been on an Asian kick lately where I'm incorporating Chinese coins, etc into my jewelry. It's been fun.

Ok, well, I didn't get up in time to make it to the first post for show and tell, but I'm fine being third. /wink

Here's my addition from what I finished last night: It's called the Cactus Flower Bangle, and once again, it features etched mini's by Anne of AMR Glassworks. The focal is a gold and green glazed ceramic bead and the usual Grecian and Bali spacers are in there as well. Also, just for the organic nature of it's shape, there's an oddball silver Raku bead thrown in the mix.

I have another bangle already threaded on the bench today, so hopefully I get that done as well.

Cheerio Mates!

~Danielle, who actually got some much needed rest last night. :clap:

beclectic
03-20-2004, 10:08 AM
<snip>

I've been on an Asian kick lately where I'm incorporating Chinese coins, etc into my jewelry. It's been fun.

~Danielle, who actually got some much needed rest last night. :clap:

Danielle where do you get the Chinese coins? I'm working on a necklace to match these earrings and the coins would be great.

I love the colors of your bangle.

Misty - the Chinese writting stone is a beautiful piece and looks perfect in the setting you gave it.
Moth - The bag is lovely. How big is it?

I'm glad I had something to show today. I don't turn out a lot of jewelry since I don't get a lot of bench time. Even though these dragons are Chinese and are not annealed I fell in love with them and had to buy a string of them. Now I'm getting the fun of using them. This is the second pair of earrings I've made with them. The first ones were commissioned the day I got the beads. A coworker saw the beads and immediately asked for a pair. I mentioned my plan for tassels but she just wanted the dragon head with a blue bead underneath to match the eyes. They came out nice and she wears them and loves them but I like my original plan with the tassel better.

Looking at all these great pieces just makes me want to make more stuff. Y'all have inspired me. :D

~>Barbara<~

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Danielle where do you get the Chinese coins? I'm working on a necklace to match these earrings and the coins would be great.

~>Barbara<~

Barbara~ The coins are hard to find sometimes, but this last set I got at a bead show I went off to. However, I just got the FireMoutain Gems catalog yesterday and lo and behold, they're selling them also. They're not expensive at all, so when you do find them, buy a bunch.

Good luck!

~Danielle

Edit: /smacks self for her bad manners. Barb, love the dragons! They're too cute, and I think I would like them better with the tassles as well. :)

mjcall
03-20-2004, 10:58 AM
I think I am going to like this new forum a lot. Great work all, I love the diversity. I will try to give the Y chromosome a little representation. Here is a set I made for the DWs Valentine Days present. My lamp worked beads, Bali silver and Jade.

M_

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Wow!

If I got a gift like that, I think I'd faint.

How beautiful!

I have a thing lately for these ivory/turquoise, ivory/green swirly stringer patterns, or however you call them. I keep searching for a good set on the 'bay, but the one that I really liked flew WAY outta my price range. So I keep searching.

Nice work! More, more!

~Danielle

beclectic
03-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Wow!

<snip>
I have a thing lately for these ivory/turquoise, ivory/green swirly stringer patterns, or however you call them. I keep searching for a good set on the 'bay, but the one that I really liked flew WAY outta my price range. So I keep searching.

Nice work! More, more!

~Danielle

I save the pictures of beads and jewelry on ebay that I think are exceptional but can't afford (I always put the creators name in the file name so I don't forget it). That way I can at least enjoy the beauty again and I can look for the artist's work. Sometimes I set them as desktops so that I can admire them every day.

~>Barbara<~

mistymade
03-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks ya'll!:D

Danielle, your bracelet is gorgeous, I love the dangles on it!

Barbara, I LOVE those earrings!

Michael, your set is fabulous!!! I bet your wife was one happy lady on Valentines day!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

lissadivamama
03-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Beautiful "stuff" today! Misty, I love those pendants! Mary, that bag is great- congrats on doing it all by yourself! Danielle - I love your bangles...I have done a few, but I just can't get out of the "symetrical" box!

Here is a set that I meant to have done in time to list on ebay for St. Patty's, but it was not meant to be!

Green aventurine - faceted briolettes and carved flowers - all wrapped with sterling wire. Necklace incorporates them into a figure-8 chain.

edited to add - the necklace briolette is a bunch bigger than the earring ones, but the photo doesn't really show that!

nursekatie
03-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Holy cow.....everything here is simply gorgeous!!! Mary...that purse...THUD.....I am a purse hound......gosh that is sooo cool!!!

Here are a few pieces I made for some gifts

Joensey
03-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Oh, I love this forum!
I'm just starting to get more confidence in my jewelry making skills, and I did use a pattern from B & B for this necklace. I made the lampwork focal, as well as the small flower and leaf beads.
Joensey

McDuck
03-20-2004, 08:17 PM
Just beautiful work everyone! And Mary-Moth, I love that purse!

Since my studio is more or less finished and the kiln is running, you can see I have been making lampwork beads by the dozens. Here are some earring sets i finished today. Hope you like them!

-Mary...errrr...McDuck...happy,happy,happy :D

manda j
03-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Bead crochet done in delica metallics with a very strong magnetic clasp. The "sparkle beads" of Swarovski crystal bicones and delicas move easily on the necklace. Lampworked bead by me- I like the colors but the technique needs a lot of work. I posted this in the lampwork sat. A.M. Show and Tell- hope it is OK to post here also.
Manda

DonnaBee
03-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Wonderful, today everyone!

beachbeads
03-30-2004, 01:54 AM
Mary, your purse is gorgeous!!! I'm curious, how long did it take you?

Here's one of my pendants, chinese writing stone set in silver.
Misty, Your work is surfacing at a fine level of beauty.

Manjiree
03-30-2004, 02:57 PM
:clap:
I love it all. You all are wonderful, thanks for opportunity to view this work.
Manjiree