PDA

View Full Version : pictures of booth displays?

limamike
03-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Help! I got accepted to some shows but am having fits over how to display things - if anyone has photos of their booth that they'd be willing to share, I'd love to see!

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Gah, I had pics, but not on digital, and I gots no scanner to help you out!

/sniffle

If you need any word advice, lemme know though! Hehehe.

~Danielle

limamike
03-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Gah, I had pics, but not on digital, and I gots no scanner to help you out!

/sniffle

If you need any word advice, lemme know though! Hehehe.

~Danielle

ANY advice would be helpful. I am trying to figure out a "draw" to get people to come in versus the many other jewelry booths!

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-19-2004, 11:22 PM
One thing that I thought was really cool, and works too, is putting a carpet or small area rug down in your tent. It gives it a really homey feel and ppl comment on it. I haven't done this myself, but Pat (ToozyGoot over in the Glass forum) does it and it's the craziest thing. Ppl respond really well to that little trick.

I made sure that I took the time to make a big sign with my logo to hang on the outside top part of my tent. It was colorful and you could see it above the other booths. That helped also. I hang windchimes as well, and bright sparkly things at the entrance which catch the sunlight and draw ppl's eyes.
Soft music is really key to help set a particular mood for buyers. When was the last time you were in a mall shop and didn't hear music? Never? There's a reason for that. Also, make sure you raise your tables to an appropriate height so ppl don't have to bend over or stoop over to look at things. Hand held mirrors are great, as women love to see how things look on them.

Hmm, what else? Gosh, there's loads of things you can do to draw in ppl. Also, engage them in convo. Just chat about the weather, how many ppl are around, etc...takes a little while to get used to "cold calling" on your customers, but if you don't talk to them, 9 times out of 10, they won't buy things from you. I always said, "Hi, my name is Danielle. I do all my own sterling silver wire work. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask."
Maybe not the most original line, but it was a good ice breaker. Hehehe.

Oh, and another thing...ALWAYS put prices on all your things. You may think you're doing yourself a favor by not pricing stuff, but you're actually hurting your sales. There was a big article in Lapidary Journal mag that I read about that, so I've been sure to price and record everything prior to shows. It's a pain, but in the long run, it's worthwhile.

I'm sure I could think of a bizillion other things, but that's a good start for you. If I give you too much at once, you may run away screaming! LOL.

Hang in there..the first show's always a bit scary, but it gets easier.

Cheers!

~Danielle

mistymade
03-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Here's a few links to past threads with pics of people's booths:

Lenda's booth
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109344&highlight=booth+display

Bill Brach's
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98291&highlight=booth+display

Kalera & Jamilyn
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153631&highlight=booth+setup

Laurie Copeland has a wonderful booth set-up, but I couldn't find the pic. :( I will keep searching for it, it really is awesome!

beclectic
03-19-2004, 11:24 PM
Could you post some pictures of your work to inspire suggestions? I don't know what you make. I've found that I tend to step up and look (buy) more if there is a way to get out of the flow of traffic, so a booth in a U shape (square bottomed U) with enough space for about 3 or 4 people to get in encourages me to look further. Especially, if there is a verticle display at the two ends of the U to give me an idea of what is inside. This can work against you if there is a throng wanting into your booth area because it limits the number of people that can actually look at your work but it is more intimate. You could increase your interior space by having a table set back from the traffic flow with your bigger pieces on it and curtains on the sides with you smaller things like earrings hung on the curtain or hung on a wire mesh in front of the curtains.

Just some general thoughts, hope they help.

~>Barbara<~

Alan Cross
03-20-2004, 02:18 AM
Thanks for this tread I have a show coming up and I really need to build something to hold all my new stuff....didn't have this problem a few months ago lol....
Alan :)

Vickie
03-20-2004, 09:44 AM
here's my set up. I use plastic shelving with fabric covered plywood tops and fabric hot glued around it to cover up the shelves. Have plenty of storage underneath. I've gotten lots of compliments on this set up. A bit of a pain but works very well. I change my set up almost every time I do a show, kind of a display junkie. Laurie Copeland is too!!! Hi Laurie!! Oh, and that's my son/show slave muffin hiding behind the booth! The last pic is a little dark and I was right next to an elderly couple that does stained glass. They didn't have anything over their light box. It about blinded me by the end of the day. Vickie

limamike
03-20-2004, 11:13 AM
I bought a rug at IKEA (yay on the price!). I also was thinking about hanging a painted tree branch that has lots of twigs on it from the ceiling, then hanging some bracelets and things from it. I was also looking for a BIG metal Christmas tree -- no needles, just the branches, if you know what I mean -- but I can't find anything as big as I want. The small ones that sit on the table and are made to showcase ornaments are cool, might have to do that.

I don't exactly have a logo -- that's something I can't come up with for some reason. My stepson just put Photoshop on my computer so maybe I can figure something out. But a flag is a great idea.

I used to be in IT sales and had to work a million trade shows so I know about working the booth -- it amazes me the number of shows I go to where the vendor doesn't even look at me. And I put prices on everything, too -- nothing peeves me more than having to ask for a price and then being embarrassed when I can't afford it.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll try to figure out a flag.....

limamike
03-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Vickie, I LOVE the glass block shelf idea.

I also bought two corner shelves from IKEA that I think I'm going to have at the front to get things right at the people as they walk by.

My website is www.lorianderson.net, I have a lot of different things.

Alan Cross
03-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Good job Vickie it looks great....I also love your blocks and shelve.
Alan :)

Vickie
03-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks!! I have 2 of those that I use sometimes. The other blocks are half the size of those so I can stagger them. I also use rolled up twig type place mats from Pier One, Love that place! I put bracelets on those. Wish we had IKEA in Arkansas but no luck. There is a thread somewhere on displays and you might check out the archives at ISGB too. Vickie

DonnaBee
03-20-2004, 11:37 PM
I went to my first big show as a customer last year. (Bead and Button) I paid attention to what sort of booths were more effective to me, as a customer, than others.

I learned that the things that gave one booth an advantage over another, at least to my eye, were:

1) the booths that had extra quality lighting for the items

2) had the tables raised closer to eye level,

3) that the pieces on display were sparkling clean and polished. (with prices clearly on them as others said above)

Nolly
03-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks, everyone, for all this information. I haven't applied to get into a show yet, but that's definitely on the agenda this year.

Since most shows require a photo of the booth, I bought display boards, and I'm collecting antique cut glass relish dishes which I plan to fill with something organic to showcase some of my items. Then I have the standard black trays with liners and I found a table cover at a good price on eBay--available in several colors.

Since I used to be a decorative painter, I have lots of stacking boxes (unpainted, unfortunately) which I plan to use to give some elevation.

My next aquisition will be lights ... maybe I should apply for a show first!

Nolly

Wire Mania
03-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Lori - I have a really neat metal x-mas tree that I had made I will post a picture for you in the nex day or so.

limamike
03-22-2004, 04:46 PM
I found that most shows have application deadlines in January -- yikes. So I missed a few that I'd like to do because I didn't have my booth shots. BUT, I did find that some of the shows were willing to take just a description of the booth.

Kerensamere
03-22-2004, 09:30 PM
As far as booth displays go:
I highly reccomend going to some of the types of shows that you want to get into and check out how other people are disyplaying their work. The higher quality the show the higher quality the displays. Also, go to different arts and crafts galleries, see how they display their jewelry. (Lori - Some of my work is on display at a gallery; I'm not completely satisfied with how she shows my work, but then again she has a very limited space. Maybe take a field trip down to St. Michaels, I've heard there's a wonderful gallery down there, I think it's called Mind's Eye or something like that. See how they display their inventory.) I just went to the ACC show in Baltimore a few weeks ago as a patron not an exhibitor, half the reason I went was to check out the displays!

For jewelry definately find a way to put your work closer to your customers eyeballs. Get height adjustable tables, make risers to go on top of your tables or put longer legs on your tables. Better yet think about hanging your work on the walls of your booth. I've seen jewelry artists use bi-fold doors that have the louvers on them (they look like window shutters with the horizontal slats on them), they hang their jewelry either directly onto these OR put their jewelry on cards and hang the cards over the slats. I've seen others pin their work onto fabric covered walls. I've also seen people use big picture frames and either put fabric covered boards into them and pin the work onto them or window screen material so that they can hang their work on them.

I even saw a woman using the fabric style window screen material and some lyncresta(sp?) wallpaper (the kind that comes in white with the texture pressed into it like old tin ceilings and then you paint it). She framed the screen with the wallpaper, that was painted to go with the "theme" of her work, then used gold dowel rods at the top and bottom to keep it flat, she hung these like banners around her booth. She was selling beautiful purses that incorporated the screen material into them but I immediately thought, what a cool idea for displaying earrings!

Lighting is also important if you are doing indoor shows or an outdoor show that has a lot of shade.

Make sure you have mirrors for people to see what your work looks like on them.

Make sure your customer has room to get into your booth, look around and get out. I was at a show in Mt.Gretna last summer and it rained like crazy (I was told 7.5 inches in an hour!), having room in my booth so that a few customers could hang out untill the deluge stopped was a real plus for my sales and general relationship with potential customers! I've seen some jewelry artists that set up their booth so that the customer never comes into the 10x10 space, the counter keeps them out.

Find display pieces that compliment your style. Looks like you work with semi precious stones and glass. Find things like tree branches, rocks or maybe glass blocks to drape your work over. I saw someone use different sizes of flat slate with wooden 2x4's underneath to act as risers. It was a beautiful display for their semi precious stone work.

Try grouping your work into collections (like your website - put all the pink stuff together). Put the "beach" themed peices together or the "wedding" pieces together.

Sometimes unexpected items in a display may be enough to get someone into your booth. Check out flea markets and consignment shops for funky props to hang stuff off of. Maybe a cool chair that's missing it's cane seat would work well with a fresh coat of paint.

Just make sure that your display doesn't overpower or clash with your work! I make stained glass jewelry and started with a slanted board covered in black velvet to drape my necklaces on. BIG mistake! All of my transparent glass looked terrible on the black. By the next show I switched the cover over to white. MUCH better!

I always try to get fresh flowers for my display too. It just gets the customer's attention, it's refreshing and I use them to help move the eye through my booth. Only problem last year was that a lot of people wanted the vase I had hanging at the back of my booth, the $10, imported blown glass vase I bought off the discount table at Joanne Fabrics 4 years ago! :rolleyes:

Well hope that helps!