PDA

View Full Version : What will happen next?

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-19-2004, 06:18 PM
I gave my 2nd portrait to Kenny to give to his wife for their anniversary and asked him if I could enter it in an art show in town. She loved the portrait and didn't want to give it back but I took it Saturday to the place of the show and when I left it was hanging on a wall.

I just went back today to see if the works had been judged and I saw now ribbons or anything but another thing I didn't see was my painting. I walked all the way around clockwise and no painting. I asked the front desk lady about it and she said she thought a painting had fallen and broken but she didn't say for sure if it was mine. She remembered my painting though and asked me if I had painted the black man and woman and so I then called the Crittenden Arts Council and they didn't know anything.

The girl from the CAC called back and told me they had my painting and it won 2nd place in the mixed media category but it had fallen and that I needed to come see it.

I drove to the CAC room and there on the table was what was left of my painting. The glass was almost all shattered away except for a few shards still clinging to the frame and the matte was wrinkled and bent near one corner. The metal frame was apart at the corners and I didn't look at the frame to see how it was damaged because I was more concerned about the painting itself.

There were many cuts and scrapes in several areas of the painting which had dug all the way into the illustration board and which created pure white blotches across various areas of the painting. Some were on her blouse/shirt area, some in her hair, some were roundish and bigger than a pencil eraser, and some were long scratches. The faces were "relatively" unharmed but at that point I didn't even want to look at it anymore and was not about to take it home.

The girls there were trying to be empathetic but good intentions doesn't change reality. Assuming that the CAC or whoever would be willing to replace the frame, matte, glass AND cover my time to attempt a salvage mission, I am not sure I'd be able to really salvage it. This is not the first time they've dropped a painting of mine and broken the glass but it is the last time. I couldn't believe how scraped up the painting was and I had even coated it with about 5 coats of clear acrylic to protect it. But razor sharp glass is pretty sharp so only a very thick coat would probably have saved it.

Maybe there is a god and he has my number.

Tim

HF AIRBRUSH
03-19-2004, 06:53 PM
hey tim,
i know what you mean by god having your number...well he's got mine too.
im sorry to hear about your painting....no money can make this easy....i will surely ask about any insurance, im sure they have one....
and now?...you should make a new one for your friend?....

henk

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Hi, Henk.

I will wait and talk to the person in charge and find out what they will do for me. I need to examine the surface closely and see if i think I can save it. If it's torn deeply.... it may be difficult but maybe there's a way.

Well, hope your day is going better than mine!!!!

Tim

Keith Russell
03-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Keep on top of this, the show should have insurance. If so, you should be reimbursed for the value of the piece--not just framing and 'labour'.

Yes, I agree, definitely never show work in this show again. If there is a local arts council, or state agency, you probably ought to notify them about this show, too.

If it were me, I would find out who the hanging committee is at this show, and I would watch out for any other shows where any of these folks are involved. I just finished curating my first show, and another artist and I hung the entire show in three days, but we were very careful handling all the work in the show, including our own.

Best of luck, you have my sympathy...

K

hinddee29
03-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Boy Tim what bad couple of weeks you've had. Real sorry to hear about this.
You would think they would be a little more carefull with the artwork.
Far as the god thing I'm not to much into that, but I do believe in him.
Also think he has his reason, and this will make you a stronger person/artist.
So keep your head up. :)

Leaflin
03-19-2004, 10:03 PM
:( Sorry that happened to you Tim.

Milo
03-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Ouch I am sorry this happened to you...

Insurance companies can be just as goofy on claims, now this was just on a print not an original my mom was shipping. It was a paper litho which I think sold for like 45 they apparently drove a fork lift or something through the box it was in. Anyways she put in the claim for the retail value of the print since it was a limited edition. They denied it and came back with what they said was cost of the item at a few dollars since when you print a bunch thats the 'cost' she said fine and went and got a quote for printing 1 print from scratch well it was several thousand to run just 1 print she gave them that bill, they paid the 45.

I can and then I can't imagine the range of emotions you are going through. I hope that something positive somehow will come out of this and will keep you in my thoughts.

Milo

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Hello, all.

Thanks for the comments and I will definitely ask about the insurance. The CAC was doing the show at the Mid-South Community College and they had various people hanging the art. I normally help with hanging at the local show in the fall but have never hung anything at MSCC and this time was no different. The lady asked me if i was going to help. I said no and she just turned around and walked off. Sc#*! her if she thinks I am somehow obligated to help them hang the artwork. Last time i checked, volunteering meant volunteering.

Yes, I am ticked off but I can't worry about it until I can talk to whoever claims to have been in charge of the hanging or show or whatever. I am through with contests and shows - period. I don't need some judge to tell me how good/bad I am. When people pay me hundreds of dollars for a painting that's all I need to know.

If I frame my Hendrix piece and leave it somewhere for a demo I will definitely ask if they have insurance for theft/damage and if not, no dice.

Thanks again for the comments and info. Perhaps my photo grays will come in handy when I try to fix this painting and maybe I'll do a WIP on how to resurrect a vandalized painting!

Tim

Keith Russell
03-20-2004, 02:15 AM
I am through with contests and shows - period. I don't need some judge to tell me how good/bad I am. When people pay me hundreds of dollars for a painting that's all I need to know.

Yes, but competitions get your work in front of the people who can recommend you to the collectors who will pay you thousands of dollars. (But, that's OK, if you aren't entering, that's one less entry with which my paintings will have to contend!)

K

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Keith,

I'm a simple person with complex tastes. heheheheh

I like to create but I'm perfectly happy letting the world revolve and I've gone 40 years without needing a contest or show to help me. I can go another 40 years I reckon.

Actually, the thought of attending some party sponsored by rich people and hanging out is just not my idea of fun. I get these invitations in the mail and some are saying pay $150 or whatever. Patrons party... blah blah. The politics, beaurocracy, cliches, pretentiousness, no-talents, ad nauseum, just isn't the place for me.

So, enter all you want and you don't have to fear losing to me! HEH! (hehehhehe)

Tim

Caterwallin'
03-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Man o man Timmo!

First you get arrested and then this! Hang in there!
I agree with Keith, you should be reimbursed for the FULL amount of the piece and you should not let this incident set you back! Don't give up on showing your work!

Sam

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Hey, Sam.

I need to move away from this creature asap but I just refinanced my mortgage so.... it never ends.

I hope the judge buries this person under the jail for a few months to teach her a lesson. It won't happen though. I'll prob be found not guilty but I may have to prosecute her on another day if I want to see if there is any justice in the world. I'll definitely ask for the vet bill to be paid by her. That will burn her up and she will probably spout off verbally in court and man, wouldn't it be icing if he found her in contempt of the court! hahahahha

Anyway, I'll be talking to a lawyer Monday (I hope) and see if he'll help me with this.

Thanks,

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Hey folks. I talked to one lady and they say they have no insurance to cover my painting but they did put the scraped-to-heck painting in a new frame (i think a new frame) and matte and glass. It is hanging now at the college again. So, I think I will just let it hang for another 2 weeks til the reception and then get it to try and repair it for the people who own it.

I will snap a pic of the damage and then post my repair work in this forum just for kicks. I hope i can fix them well but long scratches are gonna be murder.

Moral: if a show makes you sign a no liability form, you'd better have your own insurance or don't enter the show.

Tim

kdkbrown
03-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Tim,

Moral: if a show makes you sign a no liability form, you'd better have your own insurance or don't enter the show.

I couldn't agree more. Tim, sorry to hear of all your misfortune. Cheer up things will get better.

Donna

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks Donna. I certainly hope they get better! I started my mom's mom portrait last night and just felt like a 3 year old with a huge crayon and the paint was clogging and I went too dark on the lips and eyes and it was just frustrating me to the max. Almost felt like throwing the dang airbrush but I didn't. I didn't do the same technique either and it was turning out ugly. I spent 45 minutes just tracing out her features and dress patterns with a pencil and now it was being trashed. Well, I just erased some parts and hopefully it'll be okay. Man, I should know that each attempt won't turn out roses.

So, I'll keep on keeping oooon.

Tim

AlpineAirbrush
03-26-2004, 01:20 AM
Tim, I feel your pain !! Last fall I entered a piece in a local county fair and , yep, you guessed it, they dropped it. Fortunatly the only damage was the broken glass. And of course I signed that silly damage waiver paper they have you sign when you enter a piece. Well, lesson learned ..... the hard way. :crying:

Maryl Lehman
03-26-2004, 02:01 AM
Hi Tim! Hang in there with your grandma's portrait! You'll get it. I'm working on a picture of a little girl (angel), but it's not anyone in particular, so as long as it looks okay, that's all that matters! That's what makes doing portraits of someone in particular, so hard---trying to get them as close as possible to the real thing. That's why painting portraits is also very expensive---you work so hard and so long trying for perfection, and they take five times longer than a "regular" person---- it can totally exhaust you. Don't give up---it'll come! ;)

~Maryl

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-26-2004, 02:03 AM
Well, if it had been stolen.... oh man.... I'd be crushed. I'd have to repaint it. I couldn't give them the painting for a few days and then tell em it's gone forever. Lucky me though....

Well, I'm going to leave it messed up for the reception cuz I'll stress out trying to repair it on a weekend in time for the reception. I am only concerned with fixing it for the couple. So.....

Thanks,

Tim