PDA

View Full Version : Whenever You Have Need of Anything/ oil

arourapope
03-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Hey! Here's one of the current flip flops. This is the one I was telling Tam about that was giving me fits with the circular saw. Anyway, it's a 20 x 29, oil on panel. Again, I'm thinking it feels too dramatic, but I'm not sure where to find that middle ground anymore. Oh, and it was many things before becoming a landscape. I mean, I'm just not much of a landscape person, though I've tried.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2004/568-wheneveryouhaveneedofanything.jpg

detail:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2004/568-wheneveryouhaveneedofanythingdetail.jpg

ZOTMA
03-19-2004, 06:29 PM
I dunno, it could be me but I don't think it's too dramatic
(but then I might have the same problem you do :))
in fact, I really really like this one
those scratches/trees/cracks/inclusions up the middle are happ'nin
reflections in saturated bogness
flow from left to right ends in a splatterin icing apex
and held with a white period that resembles a moon
just the kind of uneasy unknown landscape I dig
or with one turn the left, lookin like a volcano with black smoke rings/atmosphere around it
the palette is unexpected and good (green is a tough one for me sometimes)

surreal
03-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Very eery!

VieSaintSo
03-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Well well! in your other thread i was talking about something, the begining of...anyway. i like it, just enough drama :p
seriously there is a lot of shadows going on and forms,faces,eyes.Do you see the face on the upper right corner?
the black lines that could of been trees, doesn't matter, what they are ...it gives great depht.
This is the kind of painting that i especially enjoy,cause you can turn it around 4 ways and it it always well balanced.
lets not forget the whites,haaa pure magic!
Well done :)

Mich451
03-19-2004, 10:38 PM
It was a dark and stormy night, and the oily black moonlit surface of the swamp exploded into shattered liquid glass. The creature was here and gone.

Tamana
03-19-2004, 10:38 PM
wow...

Can't wait for the resurrection...

This looks just like a backwoods Louisianna Biyou during a blue moon. I'm trying to remember the legend that went with the blue moon (for those that don't know - when the moon is totally full for two nights instead of one, thus the saying 'Once in a blue moon.')

It was something like yin/yang, the twin flames but deep south style. ;) Supposedly after creation, in addition to the moon there was also a brilliant star that occupied the other side of the earth. And the moon and the star barely caught glimpses of one another, but fell in love. To be with him, the star forsook the sky to fall into the swamp that she might swim with his reflection. The moon was so overtaken by her sacrifice that he too let go of the sky to fall. So that the balance of the lunar cycle wouldn't throw things into disarray, another moon was designated to take the first's place the next night. I can't remember why it reoccurs periodically. As a reminder to something...or something. I was little.

Dunno if it's truth or not, but they say way back in the biyou during the blue moon that you can see them playing in the waters...

I can't imagine the magic of that looking any different than this.

*wow*

Can't wait for the resurrection...

Mich451
03-19-2004, 10:48 PM
http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/blue/blue.html

Tamana
03-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Oh. So it was the same month instead of the next night. *shrugs* Told you I was little. I still see the magic in your painting, Aurora.

Mich451
03-19-2004, 11:11 PM
No Tam, that is the modern definition. Look under the "older tradition". Second full moon in a month was a 1946 defintion; hardly a tradition.

But the story you cited is cool and regional and romantic.

Tamana
03-19-2004, 11:21 PM
*nods* Science confuses me when I'm all tired...

Maybe there is no concrete definition because the moon and the star fell on the other side of the world from Europe and Asia before that side was found...

My ancestors who told me said it came from the Native Americans who witnessed the falls...

Isn't it something though...that despite the phenomenon, the lunar cycle carries on undaunted? I wonder how it did/does that? Perhaps the sun made the next biggest star a moon and it just took a little bit of time, and maybe the star, when it was appointed its new home in the sky was blue because it missed its warm place by the sun?

I think it's probably bed time...thanks for the link.

Mich451
03-19-2004, 11:26 PM
Speaking of lunar cycle...there used to be 13 cycles in a year, with 13 zodiac signs. All were tied to the fertility cycle, but somehow got demoted to 12.

Hmmm.

Edited to address the "falls". Meteors/astroids would be a big event in any culture that has no mass instant communication, and verbal tradition would preserve the tale. That big crater in Arizona did not just appear out of nowhere.

(thank you A for a thought-provoking painting)

Tamana
03-19-2004, 11:33 PM
What's even more interesting is that they just discovered the 13th planet...what was the 13th sign? I forgot...

Mich451
03-19-2004, 11:37 PM
"As above, so below"

http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/a/below_above.html

Tamana
03-19-2004, 11:50 PM
I dunno bout all that stuff. I kinda stopped thinking bout things like that a few months ago...stopped caring where anything came from or where it went when it was gone. Figured I wasted enough years doing that.

All this from a painting she felt may be too dramatic...

I'm falling out of the sky into my pillow lake bed myself about now...goodnight. Thanks for the info. It's interesting even if I don't know what to think of it.

arourapope
03-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Well, gosh, I'm glad this one got a conversation going at least! I didn't know all that stuff, either. I always thought the blue moon was the thirteenth in the year too. Thanks Michy. That's some good information; and Tam, that's a beautiful story....
Thanks you guys, for the feedback on this one. I think I need to remind myself that a painting can only be one painting. It can't be more then one.

Tamana
03-21-2004, 08:10 PM
You know, out of curiosity and all because zodiac vs. behaviour has always been a hobby to me (and I apparantly overlooked it in your links n all), I looked some stuff up and am even more confused but I guess that's ok? I mean was the thirteenth sign the spider between taurus and gemini or the serpent slayer between scorpio and sagi? Not that it really matters I know, it's just sometimes thinking can just make everything more confusing than before you thought.

I think I need to remind myself that a painting can only be one painting. It can't be more then one.

Hm. I quoted you in my journal along-side a question my goddess-guru (bows and all that reverent stuff) gave me for the future, prolly when I'll understand your statement. Hope that's okay?

arourapope
03-21-2004, 11:17 PM
I think the 13th sign was originally a whale? Also I ran across some interesting info that the Greeks didn't have Libra. Instead Libra was considered part of Scorpio. The Egyptians, however, did recognize Libra. I don't have much info on the Whale. Wish I knew more.
An interesting tidbit that has little to do with any of this (gotta love tangents.....) Draco was once the north star. But with slight polar shift, that changed. Given time, it is thought to change again.

Tamana
03-22-2004, 06:03 AM
You know, actually I read about that too, but the information I read seemed to negate the whale, thus leaving the spider or the slayer. You are completely right about Libra, though. Scorpio was twice the size she is now (*flips hair*) until they took her entire right (? I think, it may have been left) arm and claw to form Libra. Yes, not only the polar shift, but the information I read was saying how, with the expansion of the universe, that the thirteenth sign would soon need to be recognized (if they can agree on which it is). I wonder if this will shift the calendar regarding the birth signs? It would have to, wouldn't it? I found all of this ironic in lieu of the discovery of the thirteenth planet (yeah, gotta love tangents).