PDA

View Full Version : New work

DLevesque
03-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Very happy to see this new forum as most of my acrylic work is marine related. It looks like it is off to a great start. Hope to see everyone posting their new work.
Will add my newest as an attachment if I can figure out how. It is acrylic 18x24 on masonite. It is of a USCG inland river buoy tender with her 130 foot aids to navigation barge. Of course, C&C welcome.
Dick

Lorijo
03-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Looks wonderful Dick, we have one of those in my town, except ours is a bit more rusty and beat up looking. How do you do your thin lines? I looked at your web site, beautiful! Lorijo

DLevesque
03-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the comments Lorijo. For the thin lines I use either watered down black (or whatever color) acrylic or revert to an ultra-fine waterproff felt tip. I suppose by doing so I should call it multi media vs acrylic alone.
Do you, or anyone else, know what the max image size that can be posted is? I saw it somewhere but can't find it now. I think I reduced this image down too much as it is a little blurry.

Dick

Diane Cutter
03-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Very nicely done. Are you part of the Coast Guard artist program? You certainly should be. They would love your detailed work.

Diane

DLevesque
03-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Thank you Diane. Yes I am and have just been notified that one of my paintings has been juried into the Cost Guards Permament Art Collection and will be on tour. I was very pleased because there is not too many places around here to exhibit.
Thanks again,
Dick

Diane Cutter
03-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Congratulations.... That's quite an honor.... permanent collection....

Diane

Lorijo
03-19-2004, 06:00 PM
500 x 500 pixels Dick, they always come out a bit blurry. Sometimes people post links to their pictures on higher resolution sites.
http://www.freewebs.com/lorimart/ There is my amateurish site! I tried the marker on my oils but it didn't stick, I wait till it dries and keep trying till I get it right, I was hoping for an easier way. :p :) Lorijo

DLevesque
03-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks again Lori. I just visited your site and its NOT amatueristic. I might have misled you re the felt tip. I also use...most of the time.... the smallest brush I can find for things like the rail, trim around the pilot house, or rails etc. I have only used the ultri-thin marker for rigging. I have tried the brush for the rigging but I guess my hand is not as steady as it used to be for a "long run" such as you find in rigging. This is particularly true on the old clipper ships or modern sailboats. Hope this helps.

Dick

CarolChretien
03-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Congrats Dick on your painting being chosen...it is well done! :clap:

JamieWG
03-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Dick, I'm not surprised that one of your paintings was chosen, if this one is any indication of what the others look like! When I first saw it, I too wondered how on earth you did the rigging. Seems like it's the question of the day on this thread. Super job on the detailing. My daughter thought it was a photo! I'm so glad you were able to find this forum. Looking forward to seeing some of your others as time marches on.

Jamie

ajlec2000
03-19-2004, 09:01 PM
I love this. Though I'm no expert I love paintings of contempory vessels. If I was to critize anything it would be that the posted image doesn't depict the entire barge, but that's more of a whine then a criticism.

Marty C
03-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Hi Dick,
This is superb work and congratulations on getting into a permanent collection, no surprise really given the evident quality of your work. There is marvelous detail in this. I would love to see some of your sailing vessels after seeing this piece. Do you normally use masonite? I know many artists who do fine detail work prefer it to other supports such as canvas for fine line work. This forum is off to a great start with works like this to view. Looking forward to more.

DLevesque
03-20-2004, 08:03 AM
Thank you Carol, Jamie, AJ and Marty for the nice comments. AJ that was something that I toyed with when I was laying this scene out. I decided to only put a portion of the barge in to suggest movement (right off the canvas!)
Marty, I have seen your work in other postings and I particularly like your waves.....very nice. To answer your question I mainly use masonite because of the detail that I know I will attempt to paint. I found that with canvas the roughness mutes alot of why I am trying to portray. I have a few sailing ships on my website....I think they are only in pencil though.
Thanks again for everyones comments. I will check back from time to time to see everyones postings. Looks like there is a very talented group here.
Dick

Eugene Veszely
03-20-2004, 08:48 AM
DLevesque congratulations on the honour of being in the "Coast Guards Permament Art Collection"

meowmeow
03-20-2004, 12:35 PM
Wow! As someone who struggles with painting boats I am truly impressed. Hubby is in the CG Auxiliary...I will have to be sure to show him this. He will love it.
Great painting, thanks for sharing!

Sandy

DLevesque
03-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Thank you Sandy and 1Chameleon for the comments. They are apreciated.
Dick

VeldaJ
03-21-2004, 12:34 PM
What fantastically detailed acrylic work, Dick. I'm certainly not surprised to hear that one of your paintings is in the permanent collection.

Leaflin
03-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Congratulations on your painting being chosen Dick.

This is quite an impressive piece, and the detail is superb.

I bought a bottle "thingy" with a needle tip on it from Cheap Joes.
You put your waterdowned paint in it then paint very thin lines.
I'll try find out the name in the morning, (assuming I remember) :D

mairrca
03-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Incredible detail work..at first glance I thought this was a photo. Exquisite. Congratulations on having your painting chosen.

ripvanblair
03-22-2004, 05:49 AM
This is terrific Dick I like the detail on the barge, makes you feel your right there------------well done----------Alan

DLevesque
03-22-2004, 08:19 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments.....with a cup of coffee this is a very nice way to start the day.
Velda, thanks again
Leaflin: I checked out your website and like your "CatChow"...his expression is great. Will be looking forward to seeing more on the "bottle thingy". Thanks
Marion: thank you also but have not been able to open your website. I will try again later.
Alan. I visted your site yesterday and signed the guest book. Not sure if it "stuck" though as when I looked for it all I got was some in 2003. Like your trains and (naturally) the nautical work. Very nice.
Dick

Leaflin
03-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Leaflin: I checked out your website and like your "CatChow"...his expression is great. Will be looking forward to seeing more on the "bottle thingy". Thanks
Dick
:) Thank You Dick
It was a wedding present for a couple, she had the Cat and he had the Chow :D

The "bottle thingy's" are called Oiler Boilers.
I have no idea why!

They come in two sizes
OB1-Hypo-200 has a 25 gauge needle, and is good for twigs, branches, and fine lines. They say to use watercolour, but I use acrylic also.

OB2-Hypo-490 has an 18 gauge needle. They say to use that one with masking fluid, but I have never tried it for that.