PDA

View Full Version : Nesting Ospreys

RhiannonJ
03-19-2004, 12:07 PM
I am SO happy to see this new forum! The majority of my paintings have water in them one way or another and didn't quite fit into the Landscape forum. I posted this one there last week and thought I too would show my support by posting it here.

It's a 9x12 oil on canvas.

Rhi

JamieWG
03-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Beautiful rendering of the birds and the waves. The ospreys have just returned here, passing through on their spring migration. They only stay a few weeks before moving on. Nice to see them in your painting as well.

Jamie

Lorijo
03-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Nice one! We have lots of ospreys here in Florida now, it is one bird that has come back well. There weren't near as many when I was growing up. They are here year round. Lorijo

ajlec2000
03-19-2004, 08:47 PM
I like the spray from the wave hitting the post. We have osprey's on this coast as well. I've spent many an hour watching them defend their catches from the bald eagles.

Marty C
03-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi Rhi,
I am SO happy to see your work in it's rightful place. I felt the same about many of my pieces, now we have a home.
The little fixes you did on this with the reflection and the wave at the base of pole really worked a treat to make this a most impressive work indeed.
Looking forward to more of you great work.

Eugene Veszely
03-20-2004, 08:41 AM
You have done a great job...the water is...well....wet looking !! :)

RhiannonJ
03-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Thanks for all your lovely comments everyone. The male osprey showed up about two weeks ago and was looking quite lonely until his lady arrived just the other day. They've got a job ahead of them in rebuilding the nest because Hurricane Isabel took away all the twigs etc. It's amazing that the nest survived. It's always such a thrill seeing them arrive. It's a sure sign that Spring has returned.

Thought maybe you all would like to see the other three paintings in this seasonal study. The nesting ospreys was my Spring painting. :)

Rhi

artmom
03-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Superbly painted ospreys. Your waves are great, too. Excellent series. :)

Lyn

meowmeow
03-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Fantastic birds....and hte water is wonderful. The not too rough waves and then the splashing water against the post...super job.

Sandy

Marty C
03-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Hi Rhi,
These last are from the Landscapes over Four Seasons project if I'm not mistaken - wonderful works all. The lightning work is so dramatic. I recently used it in a post as a reference as an example of a composition which worked really well when the focal point is a light source - the post concerend a sunset but the principles applied. Great work.

RhiannonJ
03-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Hi Rhi,
These last are from the Landscapes over Four Seasons project if I'm not mistaken - wonderful works all. The lightning work is so dramatic. I recently used it in a post as a reference as an example of a composition which worked really well when the focal point is a light source - the post concerend a sunset but the principles applied. Great work.

Hi Marty,

Yes, these are from the Landscapes-Four seasons project. That's awesome that you used it for a reference. Which thread was it? I'd be interested in seeing in what context you used it. :D

Rhi

Leaflin
03-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Rhiannon, I think a love for the water, and the creatures that make it their home shines through in this piece.

This is going to be a great forum!!!!!!

mairrca
03-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Ohhhh I love your paintings. The water is fantastic and the ospreys are so real looking. I am so glad we have a marine forum now.

Marty C
03-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Hi Rhi,
Here is the link to that thread.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173063

ripvanblair
03-22-2004, 05:44 AM
Brilliant Rhi the osprey painting is in the classical mode, very nice!!!, I like your seasonal paintings too-------very well done------Alan

VeldaJ
03-22-2004, 07:20 AM
Lovely portrayal of the ospreys, Rhi. I never realised that they could nest like this right out over the water.

The ospreys are making quite a serious come back in some areas over here, Scotland being one of them and we took a holiday last year specifically to try and see them. Unfortuantely we visited the area first week of September and the ospreys left last week of August. (LOL) Someone must have warned them we were coming.

Thanks for including your seasonal pictures of the same area. It's nice to see the comparison as the seasons change.

RhiannonJ
03-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Thanks all for the lovely comments. I am especially pleased with the Osprey painting since it's basically my own composition. Would be nearly impossible to get a good photo of them now with the hurricane demolishing our pier last September. I got the photo of the ospreys out of a book and it worked out perfect. That's the way they always look when they're on the nest. Had a few photos of the water looking choppy, and away I went. :D

Rhi