PDA

View Full Version : My Son, 12, stuck a bead in his ear, can't get it out.

Renee_T
03-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Hey, I just realised this isn't off topic! My son, John, the gifted one (snort!), saw a bead laying around at school yesterday and stuck it in his ear. Now he can't get it out. It's the kind girls put in their hair, like a plastic pony bead. Doctor appointment is at 2:30 today. It's wedged close to the eardrum and is painful to mess with. I do think they had a good laugh at the dr's office when I called it in.

Anyone have any experience handling this?

Renee_T
03-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Hey - I wonder if this gets me any Merit points for posting an original topic?

AlexM
03-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Renee,

I'm sure they'll get it out today and that it's not the first time they've seen this sort of thing. Kids do the dangest things!

CorvetteJuliet
03-19-2004, 01:03 PM
My daughter did the same thing at pre-school about 5 years ago - except it was a sparkly rhinestone, not a bead. :o I discovered it after bath when I went to clean her ears. We took her to the after hours clinic and the doctor removed it. No problem. I was hesitant to even try lest I make it worse! ~Juliet

gwacie
03-19-2004, 01:05 PM
No worries mom, he's just 'making memories'.

lol my sister did that to me when was a kid and she was a kidlet. I made it worse trying to get it out so off to the dr who had no problem. Makes for great family story fodder in later years.

foss2k
03-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Hey, I just realised this isn't off topic! My son, John, the gifted one (snort!), saw a bead laying around at school yesterday and stuck it in his ear. Now he can't get it out. It's the kind girls put in their hair, like a plastic pony bead. Doctor appointment is at 2:30 today. It's wedged close to the eardrum and is painful to mess with. I do think they had a good laugh at the dr's office when I called it in.

Anyone have any experience handling this?

Renee--My daughter did something similar years ago. The Dr. said to use an eyedropper and put in drops (3-4) of warm oil. Let him lie down on that side and the bead should slide out. If he holds his nose and mouth closed, have him blow out gently. This should loosen up the bead. Hope this helps. Let us know how he's doing- Try this first-you'll save Dr.'s fees.

GlassButrFly
03-19-2004, 01:07 PM
This is funny, and yet not-so-funny, at the same time! lol sorry... I can't help you but maybe I can make you feel a little better. When I was little I got an earring back stuck in my ear! The doctor got it out, and my mom still can't believe that would do something so stupid! (apparently she thinks I put it in there on purpose, I was to young to remember.) And then once when my sister was in kindergarten, she got mad at a boy in her class and pinned him down in the playground and stuck some gravel rocks down his ear. The principle took him to the hospital and they got it out.... but the boy didn't get near my sis for weeks afterwards! rofl!!!!!! I do hope your son's ear is ok. I think this sort of thing happens to all kids at some time or another. God Bless! Vanessa

Gazin
03-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Oh my, kids do the darnest things...when my duaghter was 5 she stuck the small square of metal off a soda can, the piece that holds the pop top up her nose! It was very sharp, poor thing tried to get it out for hours before she told me! the doc got it out no troubles, but her nose was sore...I knew another kid who packed his nose with little tiny rocks, packed the whole thing full...of course trip to doc was in order.......kids....smile!

rosebead
03-19-2004, 01:55 PM
My sister dated a guy who (when he was 5 yrs old) put a bean up his nose and it was up there so long it had sprouted by the time the doctor removed it.
My nephew swallowed one of those flash bulbs from an old type camera. We still have his x-ray. He passed it a day later.
Kids do the wierdest things and they almost aways manage to survive unscathed.

Good luck with the bead.

Diane

Aussiegirl
03-19-2004, 02:06 PM
being a first grade teacher, this thread made me laugh...cause I can relate to it. In Paua New Guinea I had a kindergarten child named Wayne who was making faces while I was reading a story after lunch with kids sitting o0n the carpet.
I asked him to sit still and listen. He said he "couldn't" and I repeated "Wayne, Look at me, and listen, you'll see the story pictures."
A little girl said "His head is full of rocks,miss." I thought she was being mean to him then she told me "no, really, he's got rocks in his ears."
I asked him and YES he had put rocks (tiny stones from the playground) in his ear at lunchtime!!!!
A hospital visit got that sorted out!!!
Kids do the darndest things!
Apparently its exploration.
Ive also had kids play hairdresser and cut a piece out their hair (in my first year of teaching) I nearly died!!! Luckily the mom was understanding!
aussiegirl steph

!ngridh
03-19-2004, 02:44 PM
uhmmmmmmm a few years ago I was sleeping and was woken to a bug by my ear ...it started to go in and I tried to get it out (WRONG) I then had the bug lodged in my ear.......making NOISE!!!!!!!!!!! IT wanted out and damn if I didn't want it to make it's wish come true. Ran into the hospital and grabbed a doc and said ......BUG IN MY EAR..... he had the nerve to laugh and so did everyone else..... they flushed him out...ah her...was a ladybug

I don't mind ladybugs...but NOT lodged in my EAR!!!!

Tink
03-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Ok, speaking as a non-parent here, WHY DO KIDS DO THOSE THINGS? I mean, what happens? All of a sudden a little light bulb comes on and they think "Gee. I want to stick something in my nose/ear. Let's see... What do I have handy? Hmmm... How about this BEAN?"

McDuck
03-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Renee, Yes look at story below. I hope it goes well for your son.

Yes Tink, exactly, picture this, my 4 year old daughter, staying with G'ma who gave her a small bowl of popcorn. Daphne decides the popcorn kernal just "JUMPED" into her ear, two days, two doctors appointments and surgery, the offender was removed. Now we have an interesting story to tel lher bf's! -Mary

EagerBeader
03-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Okay...gotta embarass my now 20 year old in public.

When he was say 6 or 7....he got a really bad ear infection and we took him to the ER...

Well...he had stuck strips from an 81/2 x 11 piece of paper in his ear. It took 5 nurses to hold him down while the doctor pulled these long strips of paper out of his ear. I couldn't even stay in the room, it was so bad..he was screaming that it hurt.

Don't know why he did it, but he never did it again. Took weeks to get rid of the infection too.

Dawn

redhotbeads
03-19-2004, 03:19 PM
When my son was 2, he shoved a purple crayon up his nose at daycare. I had to take him to the pede, and they removed it easily enough - I just remember what his dad said: "were you going to color with your nose?" It was pretty hilarious!
Kelly

AutumnH
03-19-2004, 03:26 PM
:D Ok, speaking as a non-parent here, WHY DO KIDS DO THOSE THINGS? I mean, what happens? All of a sudden a little light bulb comes on and they think "Gee. I want to stick something in my nose/ear. Let's see... What do I have handy? Hmmm... How about this BEAN?"

This is the same illness that makes men do things like:
"I wonder how fast my truck will go?"
"I wonder how steep a hill my four-wheeler can climb?"
"I wonder if I can crush a beer can on my forehead?"
and of course perpetuates their belief that all women want them. :D

Barrie
03-19-2004, 03:31 PM
As the mother of four boys, this is a common, yes, common occurence!! My second oldest was the absolute WORST!! Everything went up his nose, or in his ear! He stuck a popcorn kernel up his nose once (he must have been about 2 1/2), and my dh being who he is, decided he would get it out, no need to go to the hospital. He tried everything! He even took the vacuum cleaner, and tried to suck it out! (I was in the kitchen freaking out, because he wouldnt' take him to the doctor!). My poor kid was screaming like a banshee!!!! So finally, after about an hour of trying, dh takes Kevin to Emergency. Just as they pull into the parking lot, Kevin gives a great honking snort and swallows!! Then says to his dad "all gone!" Dh gives him the 'look' but they go in anyway, what happens if the snort sent this thing into his lung! Sure enough, he'd snorted it and swallowed it, no harm - but man oh man, after the vacuum cleaner incident, the frequency of inserted items declined dramatically!!!

chuckie
03-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Ok, speaking as a non-parent here, WHY DO KIDS DO THOSE THINGS? I mean, what happens? All of a sudden a little light bulb comes on and they think "Gee. I want to stick something in my nose/ear. Let's see... What do I have handy? Hmmm... How about this BEAN?"

O.K. Tink, I'll embarrass myself and answer your question.

When I was about 4, (don't ask me how I remember that far back, maybe it was the trauma...) I stuck a plastic pearl in my ear. I did it because I used to watch my mother put her pearl earrings on every day. Since it was just a bead without any type of finding, the only way I could get it to stay on was to put it INSIDE my ear.

THEN... later that year, I stuck a plastic flower up my nose. Actually I stuck one up each nostril. My mom had these plastic lilys of the valley plants. I had pulled them off the stem and had one on each finger. There were a few kids around and I was chasing a friend around with my hands up like the flowers were monster fingernails. Then for some reason, I thought it would be funny to stick them in my nose with the petals hanging out and make monster faces. We were all laughing and I got to laughing so hard, I accidentally snorted one up my nose.

Well, if you take a look at a picture of lily flowers, they're bell shaped. They go up really easy, but the petals spread like lag bolt fasteners when you try to pull the flower out. I started crying because it hurt. The tears made my nose run, so what did I do? Sniffed really hard. Flower shot up even further. So crying and sniffing I ran to Mom and told her my nose hurt. She took one look, jammed her fist in my mouth to keep me breathing through my mouth and off to the hospital we went.

She went bursting through the doors with a screaming 4-year-old with her hand jammed in my mouth. What a sight that must have been! She said it took four male interns, the doctor and a large sheet to get me still enough to get the forcepts up my nose to get the flower out.

And there you have it, straight from the remaining 4-year-old brain cells I have left.

Char

oldejunque
03-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Well no bead, but I remember my sister, (who hated lima beans and would try to hide them anywhere) getting one stuck up her nose. I can also remember the trip to the emergency room and that large nostrel and the looks it got. Tomi

macbeth7
03-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Yikes, Renee! Hope the doctor got him all fixed up. From the stories here, it seems to be a fairly common thing! :eek:

dillingham
03-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Renee,
As I read your post, I almost spewed all over the monitor. Since hubby sets across from me at his computer, he wanted to know what had caused me to react like that. Here is the typical man's way of fixing it. "Tell her if they are like our kids, you can just blow in the other ear" No brains or they wouldn't do that!!

He forgot the 2 hours in the ER waiting to have a Basswood Seed removed from our 4yr. old daughters nose about 21 yrs ago. But I bet he can remember the bill from the hospital!!!!

Good Luck, you got kids, stuipid stuff will happen!!!

Dilly

Emily
03-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Huh? What? You'll have to speak louder, I have beads in my ears (beads in my ears :music: , beads in my ears :music: . . . )

Age TWELVE? I hope he's thoroughly humiliated about it. :o

I knew someone whose little girl (age 3, I think) got a Japanese beetle in her ear. It had gotten onto a sheet when the laundry was hanging out to dry, stayed on even when the bed was made up, and crawled into the little girl's ear when she was sleeping. It took an emergency room visit to figure out why the poor child was screaming. Just thinking about it gives me the crawlies.

Renee_T
03-19-2004, 06:06 PM
Ok - back from the doctor's. We went in and saw Dr. Roy. He had some tweezers, and an interesting grabby thing. He took a few pokes at it, and John jerked away pretty violently, yelling that it hurt. The bead was wedged pretty tightly against the drum.

Dr. Roy pulled away and said, "That's it, I'm sending you to an EMT and he can do this under anesthesia." I said, "no way" and told John to lay down with his head against the table. I held the ear light against the side of the canal and tugged on the ear lobe so the good Dr. could see. Dr. Roy went at it with the grabby things. It hurt John pretty bad and he yelled the whole time. Dr. Roy got it, then lost it, then got it again, and out it came. The bead was bloody, and so was the ear canal, but the drum was ok.

Since Dr. Roy had been so good about it all, I let him choose one of four nice beads I'd made last night. He picked the gold ruby frit over silvered cobalt encased.

We went by Breuster's Ice Cream place on the way home.

Beth Myers
03-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Renee~ You are my kind of WOMAN!!!
Beth

RobynT
03-19-2004, 06:11 PM
I'm so glad that everything is okay now, Renee. I'm sure his ear is going to be sore tomorrow..but bless his heart, he won't do that again!!!

jplovell
03-19-2004, 06:19 PM
I did lots of stuff like that when I was a kid and I'm none the worse for wear.

age 4 : first and last attempt at human powered flight - the takeoff went well, but the landing caused a bump on the left side of my forehead that never went completely away

age 5 : Lego spaceman figure head stuck in nose - removed the head by myself....had to have mom help with the helmet

age 6 : removed 2 baby teeth at once opening one of the old style greaseboard Play-Doh containers - messy, but thought provoking, and I have never tried to open anything with my mouth since

age 7 : Lego figure revisited - learned my lesson this time

age 7 : swallowed a nickel - I DEFINITELY don't eat money anymore...(insert "passing the buck" joke here)

Kids are made out of foam rubber-they always bounce back

Joe

fosterfire
03-19-2004, 06:33 PM
My daughter stuck a tic-tac way down in her ear. Emergency room visit, painful yelp as long tweezer things went in and pulled it out, but she remembers the handsome fireman that came by to cheer her up.

wiccakid
03-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Yay for getting it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was wee (how wee, I dunno know, maybe 5 or so) I stuffed an entire box of Kleenex up my nose annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd off to the ER we did go to have it suctioned out. Yep. Kids are smart.

(Though the time I ran straight into a tv antennae and had it sticking out my eyeball was worse. I saw like 16 of everything and had to wear an eye patch for weeks.)

TheDuck
03-19-2004, 06:48 PM
All these story's make me think my boyfriend must have stuck things in his ears when he was young. I tell him "take out the trash" or "pick that junk up" and he never does any of the stuff I ask. Yup must have beans or beads in his ears, its really the only logical answer.

-Kelly

glitterbead
03-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Yay for getting it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was wee (how wee, I dunno know, maybe 5 or so) I stuffed an entire box of Kleenex up my nose annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd off to the ER we did go to have it suctioned out. Yep. Kids are smart.

(Though the time I ran straight into a tv antennae and had it sticking out my eyeball was worse. I saw like 16 of everything and had to wear an eye patch for weeks.)

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

I don't mean to be laughing - BUT I am sitting here weezing with tears streaming down my face!!!!!

wiccakid
03-19-2004, 07:21 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

I don't mean to be laughing - BUT I am sitting here weezing with tears streaming down my face!!!!!

Do KNOW what kind of hell it is to have to go to school every day with a black eye patch on?
So let's see...........Kindergarten I started with a full-leg cast (broken ankle).......1st grade I ripped my knee open on the classroom floor (metal rug joiner thingy, needed 7 stitches).....2nd grade I had an eyepatch for the antenna thing. I think I was good to go until 11th grade when I broke my ankle (same one) during gym. Klutz? WHO ME????????????? Naw.

glitterbead
03-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Do KNOW what kind of hell it is to have to go to school every day with a black eye patch on?
So let's see...........Kindergarten I started with a full-leg cast (broken ankle).......1st grade I ripped my knee open on the classroom floor (metal rug joiner thingy, needed 7 stitches).....2nd grade I had an eyepatch for the antenna thing. I think I was good to go until 11th grade when I broke my ankle (same one) during gym. Klutz? WHO ME????????????? Naw.

But Melanie - how cool would it have been to glue a stuffed parrot to your shoulder to go with the eye patch?!?! At least, that's what I would have done (I was a VERY odd child)!

bjcohan
03-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Owie! Glad the bead is out. Bet he won't do THAT again!

I don't remember sticking things into improper orifices, but I *did* cleverly decide to lick the ice crystals from the metal shelf of our freezer when I was about 7 or 8. I was so scared that my mom would find out that I freed myself, leaving the skin of my tongue attached to the freezer shelf. Boy did THAT hurt!

Looking back now, I'm sure she figured it out, though she never said anything to me. After all, not only was I very very quiet for the first (maybe the ONLY) time in my life, but she must have wondered what that *thing* was in her freezer... Yuck.

Kids can be SO dumb...

Barb:cat:

dutchie
03-19-2004, 07:50 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

we are using the kleenexto dry our eyes!! SOOOOO funny. I love the bit about the helmet!!!!
universal truth ... kids will stick things in ...cavities????
Dutchie and aussiegirl

sarakay
03-19-2004, 10:23 PM
I'm glad it turned out okay, Renee.

Nothing like ice cream to make things all better. :D

sara

dutchie
03-19-2004, 10:44 PM
I can tell you a nice story about my aunt and uncle when they were about 6 or 7 years old. My aunt thought it was real 'cool' to drink straight from the teapot so she'd drank out of the spout. Of course she burned her mouth, but to share this experience she told her younger brother to do it too, because it was so much fun! :evil:
Needless to say they were quiet the rest of the afternoon!

fikefire
03-19-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm glad all has ended well Renee - I do have one question...what self-respecting child of a lampwork bead maker would dare to stick something as common as a PLASTIC pony bead in his ear???????????? ;)

ldiamont
03-20-2004, 12:02 AM
My son did it when he was three. We did not discover it for two weeks. He went in for a regular check up. My DH took him and related the event:

Doctor: "Hmmm" looking in right ear
Doctor: "Snicker, snort, laugh." looking in left ear
Doctor: "Mr. Diamont, let me show you what a normal eardrum looks like" shows DH son's eardrum in right ear.
DH: "Hmmm"
Doctor: "Now let me show you an abnormal eardrum" shows DH son's left ear.
DH: "Oh my, what's that?"
Doctor: "That is a blue bead."
DH: "Alex why is a bead in your ear?"
DS: "John told me to stick it in there."

Apparently the bead had been there for two weeks, no wonder we thought Alex had been ignoring us, he couldn't hear us.

Moth
03-20-2004, 03:09 AM
This thread is hysterical.

Glad everything 'came out' all right. Hehehehe. :evil:

Yes, kids do really dumb stuff sometimes. I went through a stage when I was about 5 I guess when I had to eat all my meals out of a bowl on the floor like a dog. Well, I was eating a bowl of cocoa krispies and snorted a nice sinus load full of those babies. That was horrible and cured me of my canine tendencies.

My brother, when he was six, shoved a marble up his nose. :rolleyes: We made fun of him for a really long time about that one. That was an ER visit. My dad had to come home early from work and everything. Now that we are grown up, I should ask him what he was thinking.

~~Mary

nilaya
03-20-2004, 04:48 AM
AAw..glad your son is ok..what is it about little holes and kids sticking things in them? When i was 4 i stuck a tic tac up each nostril..peppermint ones too..luckily they made my nose booger so much they disolved pretty fast and i sneezed out what was left..lol

Lorretta :)