PDA

View Full Version : How do you do the "spiney/fringe" bracelets?

BeadBraker
03-19-2004, 09:26 AM
HI!

I am a lampworker...making glass beads! I love it! And I love the fab jewelry you can make from it.

I love the "fringe" type bracelets that use little seed beads and such for fringe and then bigger and bolder lampwork in the bracelet.

do you all know what I am talking about?

Anybody know "how" I can learn? I have like zero classes around my area, so that is not an option. Books? On line tutorials? help help help!!

Nancy Braker in IL

TheBlueBetween
03-19-2004, 10:18 AM
are you talking about garden style bracelets like this pink and purple one or something more like this teal one? Or something completely different?

If it's the garden style you are talking about Kate McKinnon has a great book. Her site is: http://www.katemckinnon.com/ and there is a brief tutorial on there how to make.

If you are looking for the other kind of fringe, Bead & Button Magazine had a great article in October 2003 - pg 106-107 (It's sitting right here because I'm making one of them).

TheBlueBetween
03-19-2004, 10:35 AM
here are Kate's instructions for the garden bracelet:

http://www.katemckinnon.com/kitpix.html

And you might find what you are looking for here as well:

http://www.lampwork.net/soozlinkslist5.html#Instructions

And if the spiney fringe things you are talking about is coraling, this book looks great - at least I think so - it's on my wish list ;)

http://tinyurl.com/2wkwo

BeadBraker
03-19-2004, 12:13 PM
THANKS! You guys ROCK!

I wanted the garden type bracelet....Kate McKinnon is awesome and I will have to get her book soon.

THANKS for posting....now I know what I am looking for.

Nancy Braker in IL

chroma
03-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Maybe you're talking about 'kinky fringe.' Is it the beady stuff on this necklace? If this is it let me know. I can send you directions.
bj

beclectic
03-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Maybe you're talking about 'kinky fringe.' Is it the beady stuff on this necklace? If this is it let me know. I can send you directions.
bj

Beautiful piece. What stitch is the rope part made of and how did you get that raised effect of the gold beads winding around the base?

chroma
03-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Barbara, that's called an 'African Helix.' I've also seen it referred to as 'DNA Stitch.'

Here's some instructions. . .hope the link works. By the way, there's a crochet stitch that looks very much like this but I don't have instructions anywhere. It was easier than the helix.
bj

http://beadwork.about.com/library/weekly/aa101998.htm

here's a necklace that has that crochet stitch!

GardensOnGlass
03-26-2004, 10:44 AM
BJ, that is one GORGEOUS necklace (the one with the kinky fringe & African Helix roping)! :clap:

TheBlueBetween
03-26-2004, 11:08 AM
those are SO beautiful! I recently started a tubular peyote necklace and am varying the sizes of the beads to get a spiral in it.

beclectic
03-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Barbara, that's called an 'African Helix.' I've also seen it referred to as 'DNA Stitch.'

Here's some instructions. . .hope the link works. By the way, there's a crochet stitch that looks very much like this but I don't have instructions anywhere. It was easier than the helix.
bj

http://beadwork.about.com/library/weekly/aa101998.htm

here's a necklace that has that crochet stitch!

Thanks so much (the link works fine). I've been looking for something that looked like that and didn't have a lot of stringing back through beads. I like the crochet one too but I think the 'African Helix' has a more dense look which I like. I can hardly wait to incorporate it into a piece. I have an Eyeglass Leash with a similar look (it doesn't have a raised spiral row, the spiral row is the same height as the base beads) but it requires stringing back through the beads. I'll take a picture of it and post it tomorrow.

jacki
03-26-2004, 12:43 PM
BJ, Both of these pieces are spectacular!!! Wow.
I hope you will share more of your lovely pieces.

Would you mind sharing something about the time it takes to make the different segments? I am totally in the dark when it comes to beading, but admire it so much.

I love the balance in your necklaces.

I have wanted to try making the ropes for a long time, have not yet decided which one to try --crocheting or ndeble or what. they seem the perfect way to display a large focal and/or disc.

and the kinky fringe is a wonderful texture.

LLane
03-26-2004, 03:36 PM
WOW.... is that second bracelet the best? Come on now guys isn't it great? WOW.. purple and all!!! I happen to know that it is even more lovely than in the pic!!! Because I am the proud owner of that bracelet as a gift from Pam (The Blue Between) in the cupid exchange!!!!! :D :D :D

Still love it Pam!!!
Peace,
Lois

beclectic
03-26-2004, 05:22 PM
WOW.... is that second bracelet the best? Come on now guys isn't it great? WOW.. purple and all!!! I happen to know that it is even more lovely than in the pic!!! Because I am the proud owner of that bracelet as a gift from Pam (The Blue Between) in the cupid exchange!!!!! :D :D :D

Still love it Pam!!!
Peace,
Lois

WOW - Lucky you. Purple is purrrr...fict.

chroma
03-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Jacki, I can't really say how long it takes to make that rope. . . I just start on it and work 'till it's long enough. It's easy to take this kind of thing with you. It's not fast. . . but it doesn't take forever. The rest of these necklaces are just strung beads so that's no time at all. Planning, however, is another matter.

There is another special thing about that gold and purple necklace. Go back and look at the round, purple beads. I wanted something that had a big hole on one side of the bead and a small hole on the other. That way I could draw the whole end of the rope into the bead. I couldn't rest until I figured out a way to make one (actually two)!
bj

TheBlueBetween
03-26-2004, 06:25 PM

Still love it Pam!!!
Peace,
Lois

Hi Lois! Oh I'm glad to hear you still love it! It was very fun to make too - I've been meaning to do another.... my girlfriend who saw it as a work in progress keeps asking about about it - I think she's sending me a hint ;)

:) Pam

beclectic
03-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Jacki, I can't really say how long it takes to make that rope. . . I just start on it and work 'till it's long enough. It's easy to take this kind of thing with you. It's not fast. . . but it doesn't take forever. The rest of these necklaces are just strung beads so that's no time at all. Planning, however, is another matter.

There is another special thing about that gold and purple necklace. Go back and look at the round, purple beads. I wanted something that had a big hole on one side of the bead and a small hole on the other. That way I could draw the whole end of the rope into the bead. I couldn't rest until I figured out a way to make one (actually two)!
bj

You'd have to use a cone shaped mandril. Then you'd have to wind the bead onto the madril at the section of the cone that had the size hole you needed. Is that how you did it? It gives a really nice effect. I actually noticed the one on the left of the picture and thought you must have used a bead with a large hole.

chroma
03-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Sort of a cone shaped thing. I took a large rod (don't know what it is but I got it at a welding place) and ground it on our bench grinder until it sorta looked like I wanted. Then I put on the bead release & made the bead over the area where the size changed. Not perfect but it worked for what I needed. I've made several more of the beads. Here's a photo of the mandrel.
bj

beclectic
03-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Sort of a cone shaped thing. I took a large rod (don't know what it is but I got it at a welding place) and ground it on our bench grinder until it sorta looked like I wanted. Then I put on the bead release & made the bead over the area where the size changed. Not perfect but it worked for what I needed. I've made several more of the beads. Here's a photo of the mandrel.
bj

Looks like a large welding rod. They say necessity is the mother of invention. Maybe you should patent it and market it. The bead effect you achieve is very nice.

BTW, I started a "Beaded Rope" thread since the beaded rope discussion was taking over this "spiney/fringe" thread. I posted a pic. of my spiral rope glasses leash there.

TheBlueBetween
08-15-2007, 06:20 PM
bump for susie

MadameKali
08-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks, Pam.. I already found this thread earlier.. the Kate McKinnon thread is already down; she's updated her website since then, I guess. I did find something kind of helpful at fmg.. I will just experiment, I guess :)