PDA

View Full Version : talking paintings?

bgreenaker
03-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Hi everybody, I'm either crazy :p or on to something. Lately, instead of fighting my paintings and putting what "I" think should be on them, I let them sit and germinate so to speak. Let me explain, on a canvas or paper, I take large amounts of paint in various colors and fill up the space with them. Then I let the "paintings" sit on the wall for hours, days or in the case of oils, weeks. During that time I stare, flip the picture around and stare some more until the "true" picture emerges.Then I can continue the painting. What I have found, is if I ignore the true nature (that's my Zen coming out) :D of the painting, and paint something else, I end up hating it and wiping it out or painting over it, thus starting the whole process over again. Does this happen to anybody else? Since I've "let go" and let the process flow, I've been much happier with my work. Abstract is already a difficult process without additional baggage and hopefully I've learned to relax and learn to communicate through my paintings. :rolleyes: Ok, ok, I'm getting off my soapbox now! :angel: Thanks-Betsy :cat:

muchfoolishness
03-18-2004, 12:53 AM
there is another way?

bgreenaker
03-18-2004, 01:52 AM
:p No, I guess not. I just try to hang on for the ride and love every minute!!! Betsy

fractalfingers
03-18-2004, 02:21 AM
it doesn't have to take weeks.. the more you fine tune your perception, the quicker those immages can come forth.. also, the more you get in touch with your mediums, the more you can control them and expedite the process. ideally, you never have to wait much for drying paint because your perceptions and control are instantaneous.

as for not putting things you "think" should be in them.. good, get rid of the concept, at least until you can control it, or more likley abandon the concept.. do your thinking on your own time. it shouldn't intrude into your painting.. great paintings happen because the artists KNOWS what he/she is doing.. not internally debating the process... of course this rarely works in practice, but the more you work at it, the closer to this ideal you might become. You can find patterns in things all you want, or pre plan paintings from your visions or imaginations... they will be faulty... flawed by the process of translation. become the interface between the two.. the conduit.. think all day and night.. think in your dreams.. but when you paint.. KNOW.. let heaven and hell speak through your, keeping only the sanity to guide one or the other forth or away with the slightest nudge of your pinky on the brush.

ps.. can I copy your question to my website to relate to my thoughts in my response?

bgreenaker
03-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi fractal,if you want to use my question, have at it. One of the reason why I take so long with my oils is because I use Robert Doak oils which are ground in walnut & linseed oils (very slippery) while wet. But I do agree with you that I must let go and allow my vision to bubble to the surface. One thing I've stopped doing is looking at magazines such as The Artist's Magazine and American Artist because I felt they were promoting a "you must paint this way or this style" if you want to succeed mentality. For me abstract is so much more than mere technique, it a process that while frustrating at times, is very much worth the effort. While I'm at it I must thank WC for this forum, I have seen some awesome, thought provoking work here, you all are wonderful. Betsy :cat: