PDA

View Full Version : How to loosen up............

surreal
03-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Hi,
I would love some feedback about this.

I have always been line-oriented in the way I render form.

I would like to try and loosen up a bit and challenge myself, although I will also continue to use line to a great extent.

I posed a simple question in the Watercolor Forum and it was suggested that I use large sized brushes, etc.

I tried a very small experimental abstract piece that I felt good about. And then an artist that I respect told me her honest opinion - that the piece I felt good about looked like a design for fabric.

I have since painted over this little painting.

Anyway, any ideas you may have would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

heh
03-17-2004, 05:54 PM
paint with your eyes closed
or paint with your toes
learn the way lines wobble out of place
make every brush stroke a circle
drink too much wine first?

surreal
03-17-2004, 06:00 PM
paint with your eyes closed
or paint with your toes
learn the way lines wobble out of place
make every brush stroke a circle
drink too much wine first?

Painting with eyes closed or without wearing my glasses has been suggested to me.

Drinking too much beer (I prefer beer) sounds like a great idea!
:D

heh
03-17-2004, 06:06 PM
hooray beer! :D

arourapope
03-17-2004, 06:08 PM
Have you tried a painting knife?

ZOTMA
03-17-2004, 06:15 PM
aurora nailed one of my suggestions
paint with different implements entirely
or draw with a twig off a tree standing away from paper a few feet
(dip into ink or paint)
I think many of us have gone through this (I know I'm still on the journey and probably always will be trying to find a looser me)
my very most important criteria for trying to stretch is.......
no expectation
no expectation
no expectation
I let myself off the hook, it does not have to be 'good'
make lots of mud
make lots of mistakes
and it can be ugly as sin
and what you take from it; pure tools to apply to your work you take more seriously
and maybe some fun, and maybe some new ideas
my favorite thing is to let down my hair in between 'tight bun' pieces.....or even better let my hair fall out strand by strand as I'm going through a tight piece till it's wild (hee hee at least by my standards!)
good luck with this and a great idea for a thread, I'll be watching for tips too

arourapope
03-17-2004, 06:19 PM
But don't let your hair fall in the paint. :p

fractalfingers
03-17-2004, 06:25 PM
Loosen up your mind.. (no, I'm not refering to drugs)

ZOTMA
03-17-2004, 06:28 PM
But don't let your hair fall in the paint. :p
part of the mixed media try new things deal :D
let it all hang out

arourapope
03-17-2004, 06:30 PM
aaaahhhhhh, but that's what the dog and cat hair's for.

Tamana
03-17-2004, 06:43 PM
How fricken' odd...

As I read this I realized something; I've never drawn a line. Then I thought, hey no way! So, I went to look at all my art to make sure. And then I thought about how I made my art and I realized that I just did it without a design. I just did it be it with paint, or glue, or wax or whatever medium I chose - there's always something to play 'around' but never anything I've 'drawn.' Then taking this further in thought, I thought about 'how' I painted around without so much as a worry about it being too thick or thin or the wrong color because it could always be painted over (and plenty has!!).

I haven't drawn any lines cept a few sketches of me anna bee (zZz), so I couldn't tell you how to loosen, on no!! Not possibly!!! But you, oh you!! You could teach me!!! But, I can suggest trying without a design, which I do believe would be the lines?! Teehee!!

Anyway, I'm with the Zotmaster, I'll be watchin' fer tips on how to loosen if'n I ever do draw lines! Is good to see you playin agin!!

surreal
03-17-2004, 06:55 PM
my very most important criteria for trying to stretch is.......
no expectation
no expectation
no expectation
I let myself off the hook, it does not have to be 'good'
make lots of mud
make lots of mistakes
and it can be ugly as sin
and what you take from it; pure tools to apply to your work you take more seriously
and maybe some fun, and maybe some new ideas

Yes! This makes so much sense!

Major stumbling blocks for me are "expectations" and that it has to be "good" and that it can't be "ugly."

Thanks sooooooooooo very much, Z.
I will reread your post alot and try to let your words sink in.
:)

mame
03-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Use your other hand.

surreal
03-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Have you tried a painting knife?

Yeah - I have used a palette knife.
I'm not too keen on it, though.

Thanx for the suggestion, though.

surreal
03-17-2004, 06:58 PM

?
Not sure what you mean.

surreal
03-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Thanx all for your responses.

I hope this thread will be useful to others as well as me.

arourapope
03-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Yeah - I have used a palette knife.
I'm not too keen on it, though.

Thanx for the suggestion, though.

I'm just curious, but what didn't you like about it? I ask because I tried using one several years back and hated it. And then one day I picked it up again (same knife too!) and for some reason it clicked. Wish I could explain it better.
Why do you want to loosen up?

Tamana
03-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Use your other hand.

!! I am right handed, so, I will learn to draw with my left hand!! That way I will always be loose! ;)

heehee :angel:

Salairawns
03-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Wish I could help Nina. The only time I loosen up is after I ruin something. Then I paint over it and something terrific happens because I relaxed. (well, sometimes) :p

If you always do the subject first, maybe try squiggling in a background first and fitting a subject on top. Or draw a quick line in any odd direction and work from and/or around that line. Draw and hum - low hums go left and high hums go right, or up or down, etc. Draw with both hands at the same time.

Just don't expect something wonderful to happen the first few times you try something new ;) It's all about learning and loosening up. :)

kelly
03-17-2004, 08:43 PM
No attachment to the outcome.

Make a promise to yourself that you will destroy the painting when it is done....

LHBeggs
03-17-2004, 08:49 PM
I started a thread in Creativity Corner (titled "too self-critical") and got some excellent advice that might help you, too, since I notice you said you are afraid of it looking ugly, etc. Perhaps the ideas that can help a person become less critical of their work are the same things that could help you loosen up. I suspect that being free of fear and self-criticism can open us up to more exciting, passionate, beautiful work.

The loosening techniques mentioned here are terrific, but if there is any hesitation in trying them, it may be an issue of fear. Michele Cassou's painting method was recommended to me, so I'm now reading her book "Life, Paint, and Passion." It's about loosening up, tapping into your creative power, not judging, having no preconceptions, regaining your freedom. It's more therapy than art technique, but I'm finding the book very moving. It's deep and simple at the same time. I can't wait to try her method to get myself unstuck and unblocked.

muchfoolishness
03-17-2004, 09:04 PM
be brave

surreal
03-17-2004, 09:32 PM
No attachment to the outcome.

Make a promise to yourself that you will destroy the painting when it is done....

I could never do this, Kelly! ;)

Maybe I am destined to render form through the use of line forever.
LOL

It wouldn't be so bad or so sad.
It would just be limiting.

surreal
03-17-2004, 09:35 PM
I started a thread in Creativity Corner (titled "too self-critical") and got some excellent advice that might help you, too, since I notice you said you are afraid of it looking ugly, etc. Perhaps the ideas that can help a person become less critical of their work are the same things that could help you loosen up. I suspect that being free of fear and self-criticism can open us up to more exciting, passionate, beautiful work.

The loosening techniques mentioned here are terrific, but if there is any hesitation in trying them, it may be an issue of fear. Michele Cassou's painting method was recommended to me, so I'm now reading her book "Life, Paint, and Passion." It's about loosening up, tapping into your creative power, not judging, having no preconceptions, regaining your freedom. It's more therapy than art technique, but I'm finding the book very moving. It's deep and simple at the same time. I can't wait to try her method to get myself unstuck and unblocked.

Thanks for mentioning this book.
It sounds like it could be very useful.
I wish you luck with it.

surreal
03-17-2004, 09:35 PM
be brave

I will try.

surreal
03-17-2004, 09:40 PM
I'm just curious, but what didn't you like about it? I ask because I tried using one several years back and hated it. And then one day I picked it up again (same knife too!) and for some reason it clicked. Wish I could explain it better.
Why do you want to loosen up?

I don't remember what I didn't like about it.
:rolleyes:

I thought it would be nice to loosen up to expand my horizons.

Do you ever feel like you are in a niche stylistically speaking.

Who knows - maybe I am bored with what I have been painting.

Somehow though, the idea of loosening up might be a way to tap into a new reality or dimension - a new artistic consciousness?
Does this make sense?

muchfoolishness
03-17-2004, 09:56 PM
if you create with an element of not knowing
then an element of what you create will always be surprising

surreal
03-17-2004, 11:03 PM
if you create with an element of not knowing
then an element of what you create will always be surprising

Completely true! :)

arourapope
03-17-2004, 11:27 PM
I don't remember what I didn't like about it.
:rolleyes:

I thought it would be nice to loosen up to expand my horizons.

Do you ever feel like you are in a niche stylistically speaking.

Who knows - maybe I am bored with what I have been painting.

Somehow though, the idea of loosening up might be a way to tap into a new reality or dimension - a new artistic consciousness?
Does this make sense?

Gotcha. Personally, I have a niche/non-niche argument that is constantly flowing. I won't bore you with the details. It's a bit like having a married couple living in your painting hand. :rolleyes: Anyhoo, there is never any reason to stop growing, I think. Maybe instead of a new technique, a new book or a new subject of study could send you running into a field of inspiration you never considered before. Perhaps a visit to an art museum, or even just a library could do things to you?

surreal
03-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Gotcha. Personally, I have a niche/non-niche argument that is constantly flowing. I won't bore you with the details.
It's a bit like having a married couple living in your painting hand. :rolleyes:.
I wouldn't be bored at all with the details, if you want to elaborate. I'd be extremely interested.

Anyhoo, there is never any reason to stop growing, I think. Maybe instead of a new technique, a new book or a new subject of study could send you running into a field of inspiration you never considered before. Perhaps a visit to an art museum, or even just a library could do things to you?

I have been trying new subjects.
Thanks alot for your thoughts and advice.

jnet11
03-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Use your other hand.

I did some drawings with my left hand ... amazing results. I might try painting with my left now that I'm reminded.

my suggestion would be to paint without an underdrawing ... just paint directly to canvas from your imagination ... and as michael said

be brave.

paint when you are sleeping

surreal
03-18-2004, 11:45 AM
my suggestion would be to paint without an underdrawing ... just paint directly to canvas from your imagination ...

Thanks, Jnet.

I never paint with an underdrawing, btw.
I always have an idea for a composition in mind and then I invariably alter the composition a zillion times.

Thanks again. :)

Kalibabe
03-18-2004, 05:13 PM
Not too sure if i am qualified in any way shape or form to answer this as i never seem to use lines, but...

I 'see' what i want to paint with my eyes shut, so to reiterate what someone else said, try to produce your art with your eyes shut.

I will always remember having to produce still life drawing at school, think it was an onion...

we had to have the paper under the table, and pens and were not allowed to look at the paper, just let our pencils flow without restriction or limits.

My best work comes from painting emotions, stimulated by meditation, what i see in my mind, my heart my spirit, not limited by what my eyes see.

;)

edited because of typing after a bottle of wine lol

Gareth
03-19-2004, 05:29 AM
Hi,

I would like to try and loosen up a bit and challenge myself, although I will also continue to use line to a great extent.

I posed a simple question in the Watercolor Forum and it was suggested that I use large sized brushes, etc.

I tried a very small experimental abstract piece that I felt good about. And then an artist that I respect told me her honest opinion - that the piece I felt good about looked like a design for fabric.

Thank you.

The thing that makes me curious is why you went straight for pure abstraction in an attempt to loosen up. From what I've seen your work is a kind of abstracted reality and maybe your own misgivings arise from the change in genre rather than the change in style.

I'd advise you to either look at (if you work from a reference), or think of (if it's all purely from the mind), the forms within what you want to paint and start from there. Use your bigger brushes and paint the shapes rather than lines, generalise on your tones to begin with and allow what is and what isn't important within the image you wish to convey to emerge and recede respectively as you see fit.

VieSaintSo
03-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Surreal,
what a great thread and you have some good advice that can help all of us,
"no expatations" to me is the most important and most hard,but most fun in the end!
Bigger brushes,bigger mouvements...you know gestual painting, almost like dancing while painting, jut my 2cents! but i thank you for starting this thread,it help me a lot.
What a bunch of good people we got going here! :D

Gar
03-19-2004, 12:33 PM
I could never do this, Kelly! ;)

Maybe I am destined to render form through the use of line forever.
LOL

It wouldn't be so bad or so sad.
It would just be limiting.

Never say "never" Nina.

First of all, in reading this thread i've gotten the sneaking feeling that you don't really want to "change" or "loosen up" your style inside of your own self. More that you feel pressure from the outside, or others that it's what has to be done. For whatever reasons. But If you don't honestly want to seek out that "transformation" inside the core of you thru the making of art, then it's not going to happen no matter what tools, mediums, or genres you use. it's more about aesthetic and the way you view the world, your place in it, and the purpose of your art.

There is a comfort zone that many artists build for themselves to live in, so to speak. It's where they find any 1/2 way successful technique or "way" of painting, sculpting, whatever.. And then they proceed to spew out as much of it as they can for as long as they can. It's a recipe for stagnation. IMO, This comfort zone can quickly become a prison. Something that limits the positive growth of the art maker with predictabilty and lack of risk. If you truly want be an experimental creator Nina, you have to force yourself in your art to do things you're not comfortable with, to go places without a map, to see without eyes. You're goin to have to allow yourself to fail sometimes in order to succeed. People respect vulnerability in art. They do. They can sniff it out, and they will respond to it and respect you for it. True art and creation lovers don't want to see artists play it safe, they want to see explode like a firework in the sky. They wanna see the entirety of your being, not a glimpse of your potential.

For you personally Nina, if you're really trying to loosen your style, i would just try to do the opposite of your "norm" when painting. Which for you means possibly trying a new material or medium, but more importantly -->trying new Subject Matters. I think that is the biggest hinderance for your personal growth as an artist and also a person. I've noticed you seem to limit yourself to painting a few "objects". That's an immediate "container" right there before you even lay a stroke on the canvas. So don't paint any trees, plants, or nude women for a few months. In fact, try not painting any "objects" at all. Try to find your subconscious being and let those emotions and messages out through your work in new ways. Find that voice that lives inside of the inside of you. The one that talks to you in your dreams. The voice that speaks in the back your mind. The feelings that you only share with yourself. The Voice of true self expression.

In summation: Take the road less traveled.
It's holds wonderous surprises. Actually, more like the "the wonder of surprise". It also holds failure and success in the palm of it's hand. And It can cast them aside with the wind from a whisper.

Sincerely, Matthew Gar Bailey

VieSaintSo
03-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Gar,
you gave me goose bumps. You brought extremmely good and important points.not only are you an artist in music and paint,you also have a great gift of expression. :)
merci.

surreal
03-19-2004, 08:20 PM
My best work comes from painting emotions, stimulated by meditation, what i see in my mind, my heart my spirit, not limited by what my eyes see.

;)

Ah ..............It seems like you might be a spiritual person.

surreal
03-19-2004, 08:22 PM
I'd advise you to either look at (if you work from a reference), or think of (if it's all purely from the mind), the forms within what you want to paint and start from there. Use your bigger brushes and paint the shapes rather than lines, generalise on your tones to begin with and allow what is and what isn't important within the image you wish to convey to emerge and recede respectively as you see fit.

Thanks very much for your advice.

surreal
03-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Never say "never" Nina.

First of all, in reading this thread i've gotten the sneaking feeling that you don't really want to "change" or "loosen up" your style inside of your own self. More that you feel pressure from the outside, or others that it's what has to be done................
Honestly speaking, I don't succomb to pressure from others, in my art, and I hope that I never will. My art has always been purely for myself, except when I was in art school and probably wanted to please my professors.

There is a comfort zone that many artists build for themselves to live in, so to speak. It's where they find any 1/2 way successful technique or "way" of painting, sculpting, whatever.. And then they proceed to spew out as much of it as they can for as long as they can. It's a recipe for stagnation. IMO, This comfort zone can quickly become a prison.
I can't agree with you more.

.............If you truly want be an experimental creator Nina, you have to force yourself in your art to do things you're not comfortable with..........
Being an experimental creator has never been a goal of mine. ;)

........................I've noticed you seem to limit yourself to painting a few "objects". That's an immediate "container" right there before you even lay a stroke on the canvas. So don't paint any trees, plants, or nude women for a few months. In fact, try not painting any "objects" at all.......
I completely understand your thoughts but I don't agree with them. In my view, painting objects is not a container. It would be a container, imo, if I attempted to paint these objects with an attempt at realism.

Try to find your subconscious being and let those emotions and messages out through your work in new ways. Find that voice that lives inside of the inside of you. The one that talks to you in your dreams. The voice that speaks in the back your mind. The feelings that you only share with yourself. The Voice of true self expression.............

Brilliantly stated, Gar!!!!
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about "the Voice of true self expression..." I find this extremely meaningful.

Gar,
Thanks again for expressing yourself so candidly.
I truly appreciate it.

surreal
03-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Surreal,
what a great thread and you have some good advice that can help all of us,
"no expatations" to me is the most important and most hard,but most fun in the end!
Bigger brushes,bigger mouvements...you know gestual painting, almost like dancing while painting, jut my 2cents! but i thank you for starting this thread,it help me a lot.
What a bunch of good people we got going here! :D

Thanks, Sylvie!

Keith Russell
03-19-2004, 08:56 PM
I didn't read every post, but I did glance at them, and it seems that every poster thus far has made a gross assumption; that 'loosening up' is desirable, and that 'tight' (accurate, precise) artwork is something to be outgrown.

Does no one understand that this is an assumption, and that--just maybe--rather than trying to alter one's style, one might be better off challenging this assumption?

Here's to precision!

K

surreal
03-19-2004, 09:03 PM
I didn't read every post, but I did glance at them, and it seems that every poster thus far has made a gross assumption; that 'loosening up' is desirable, and that 'tight' (accurate, precise) artwork is something to be outgrown.

Does no one understand that this is an assumption, and that--just maybe--rather than trying to alter one's style, one might be better off challenging this assumption?

Here's to precision!

K
Hey Keith,
I started this thread saying that I would find it desirable to loosen up.

diosaperdida
03-20-2004, 04:40 AM
Hi,

Thank you.

I hope I can relay my idea here correctly. You and I have opposite problems. I paint with form and light and dark. I suggest you focus on the over all shape, and the shadows and lights ...dont outline, or start with outlines on anything. just look at the overall shape, and the roundness, and flatness, softness, and hardness. Think of yourself as sculpting the object. The number one thing, when taking a new approach. Relax. It is for me almost paralyzing to try new techniques. I have to take a deep breath and just go for it. I had to do this to incorporate more line into my work.
Just start by not trying to make a picture...just paint...make a circle, or triangle...whatever you want...and build from there. And have fun with it.
Good Luck...and sorry for rambling.
Becky Lopez

surreal
03-20-2004, 12:39 PM
I hope I can relay my idea here correctly. You and I have opposite problems. I paint with form and light and dark. I suggest you focus on the over all shape, and the shadows and lights ...dont outline, or start with outlines on anything. just look at the overall shape, and the roundness, and flatness, softness, and hardness. Think of yourself as sculpting the object. The number one thing, when taking a new approach. Relax. It is for me almost paralyzing to try new techniques. I have to take a deep breath and just go for it. I had to do this to incorporate more line into my work.
Just start by not trying to make a picture...just paint...make a circle, or triangle...whatever you want...and build from there. And have fun with it.
Good Luck...and sorry for rambling.
Becky Lopez

Hi Becky,
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Gar
03-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Good on ya Nina. B Well. :D

Love - Gar

Maryem
03-20-2004, 03:55 PM
What a very interesting thread, and thought provoking replies. I shall be trying to paint left-handed with a yard brush tonight, after my bottle of wine, of course.

Seriously, I personally do have a problem with "loosening up". I painted a nude study last night, quite inebriated, and in the sober light of morning it is possibly one of my best. But how to lose the inhibitions without the wine/beer?? (Or drugs)

Mary

voltman
03-20-2004, 06:16 PM
hi surreal , and hello to all people using this abstr/contemp forum.
, i am new here, and i like the way this is working here, i see people are trying to state deeper meanings expressed in paintings and art and lots more realy interesting thoughts; u'll have to accept that my english aint always that manierato as it should be, but i'll try my best.

about the topic loosening up in lineair drawings, all most valid suggestions and lots of them i didnt think about, a more moderate proposal i would make is to look at drawings by michaelangelo. The way he handles outlines and contours is very special, the outlines are never wires but come in different lines that softly sweep into the body: u'll need a good reproduction in a book to see that effect, if u scan it on high resolution u can even zoom in to explore this magnificent splendor. The same but more minimal effect you can see in quicker line drawings in the renaissance period , where u can see that contours overlap each other to show different volumes are hiding behind one an other. Of course these are examples by the old masters, but i believe also contemporary artists can learn alot of looking at this. The main importance of the technique concerning ur question on loosening is that the linework gets broken up in different pieces, even turns into featherlike beams entering the body of the drawing, maybe if u experiment with that, take this to a personal level this may help you see linework differently, and maybe looser lines will com from this approach
:angel:
look forward of seeing ur art again

ZOTMA
03-20-2004, 07:04 PM
some really great points brought up here through the thread.
nice words, gar.
definitely the no fear/ be brave thang (michael)
the kelly non attachment thing, oh yes
this about checking out others work (be it by gallery, museum, or like the work of michelangelo), as aurora and voltman said, is great advice.
see how other people solve the problems the pieces pose.
seeing what freedoms, textures, palettes, linework, etc. other folks have refined is food for the muse.
not to emulate, but ideas for vocabulary to add to your voice in your own way

I enjoyed picking up sumi brush/ink painting recently. for me the important point of discovery with it was finding out what the brush and ink could do, not what I could do with the brush and ink. so much to learn from me not imposing. something not to fight but a certain letting go.
it's fun to then see how my gestures emerge.
something new and still me.

dunno about you, nina, but this thread is definitely giving me stuff to take to the studio, thanks all

fractalfingers
03-21-2004, 04:06 AM
Originally Posted by fractalfingers

?
Not sure what you mean.

To some degree, or another, art is a reflection of yourself. Loose fear, loose inhibition, loose shame, loose preconceptions, loose everything and find yourself. treat the cause, not the symptom... trying to learn to paint in a "looser" technique won't get you far.. become "looser" and by defalt, your painting will be come looser. ironically, it is virtually impossible to think or justify your self into a looser place. because being loose also requires loosing structure, reason, and methodology. It involves feeling, intuition, trust in yourself. You can't plan it, it's not really possible to even do it unless you NEED to do it. another irony i've found is that looseness also involves a rigidity... a singular focus.. loosening up is dangerous... without having focus it could tear you apart. kinda like a leap of faith. from my experience people who loosen up but don't know what they are doing often lead wasteful self destructive lives. but most great artists, musicians, writters etc, have loosened up, and managed to bring their work into reality because they have focus, they realize the importance and significance of what they are doing, and most importantly, they know why they are doing it.

personally, I started to loosen up because something inside me was telling me alot of what was going on around me in life was a facade... that people were living their lives primarily based on irrelevant and pompous ceremony and social etiquite... everything from the concept that people should be well groomed to work in an office, to the idea that any man should have authority over another repulsed me... I sought answers, and I found them. what they led me to was an understanding of how it was both irrelevant, and paramount to me personally and spiritually. I had to reflect the sad and misguided reality and put it in images for people to see and hopefully learn from. anything less would be falling short of my potential, and wasting my time here and the time of every living being on earth. Sure, it may not change the world. but it's the best I can do.. and this world is just a tiny speck in the universe, and a tiny fragment of time.. Some rare people endure extreme persecution and hardship because they are right, and won't back down in the face of injustice. the real kicker is understanding life and existance are not just 80 years, but an eternity, and still having the will to not back down under extreme durress and persecution for a billion years or more.

that is why I personally can paint loosely, and I'm sure a similar journey would lead to similar results for anyone if it didn't kill them..

or.... you could just paint left handed. I'm sure that is what Pollock and DeKooning and other great artists did to loosen up... :rolleyes:

Saiorse
03-21-2004, 11:41 AM
:clap: :clap: I loved reading this!! Gar and fractalfingers you two spoke volumes to me.!

When I truly need to ( I call it expand ) loosen up I go to the beach, do a littl e yoga breathing and meditation and create. Sand offers the soul and mind one of creations original canvases. It is so very tactile, you can let it run thru your fingers a grain at a time, add a little wave wash and it comes alive in movement and color. Sometimes in the studio every thing you do comes with delibrateness. Choosing color, brush, composition, canvas, adjusting lighting yadayadayada..it's difficult to let 'er rip so to speak. You need to give your soul and spirit a chance to breath, something other than paint fumes, or clay dust!
My uncle who was an artist/ teacher used to take all of us kids ( brave man.... nine of us in all ) to the beach everytime he visited us in Rhode Island and we created art! His intructions were to gather as many "things" from the beach as we could in five minutes, reassemble and CREATE...... no other instruction given and he would grade on the results. Of course those of us who were less than artistically inclined and imo less risk takers; produced average castles, mostly lacking in imagination but none the less they followed instructions. I sculpted sand; in my scavenger hunt I would gather tools to create, not decorate. Broken shells used as a knife or chisle, dried sea weed for texture. Mermaids and dragons were born, dolphins leaped thru the sandy waves...... I almost always got the best grade but I ALWAYS got most of the criticism too. I remember my little sister ( now 46 lol) crying all the time when the tide would come in and wash her castle away.......... I for some odd reason never felt bad, I looked at it as another opportunity to start over, challenge myself. Years later I asked my uncle why he took the time to do this with us and his reason was simple; it was in him to teach and create, it was the reason he climbed out of bed everyday. Creativity was his soul music. He never really referred to art as art but creativity of the human spirit. of the nine of us I am still the only one who plays in sand and gets her hands dirty. He is the greatest "art" teacher I ever had, and, other than my Dad, the best life teacher too.
Although, I am not sure loosening up is the question here either, the fear factor seems to be the key. Is it really about being able to draw/utilize line or being able to step over and beyond it?

Great thread, it gets the mind asking questions and from there who knows!

P.S.
CUI (creating under the influence)

Wine.... Yes!
Beer.... only if it's a black and tan (I prefer )Harp/Guinness ;)
Dirty Vodka Martini 2 olives .... YES!! but never while I am creating........ the two most assuredly do not mix!