PDA

View Full Version : New poll for a New Forum: Miniature Painting

yoyita_yoyita
03-17-2004, 02:30 PM
We are having a poll in the Oil forum trying to get a new forum for Miniature Painting.

Taking in count that Miniature painting is a recognized category in the art world, wouldn't it be nice to have a forum in WC where to learn, teach and expand this art?

Miniature art covers different mediums, from the traditional watercolor on ivory, to oil paintings, illuminated manuscripts, tempera, casein, etc.

Here is the link for the poll:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2130097#post2130097

Tamana
03-17-2004, 03:59 PM
I to rain on this parade, but, I voted no. I don't think size should be an issue, but rather, subject matter. I think irrespective of size, if it was an abstract/contemporary it could be posted here. Watercolor there etc. I'm not aware that minitures are discrimminated against nor over-looked because of their size?

heh
03-17-2004, 04:07 PM
i gave a yes
miniatures are a whole world of their own
its like a big cult world
an art culture
with big societies
with all its own rules and its own game to play
the techniques methods processes arenít the same as other paintings
different framing and hanging/presentation problems
a different type of delicacy to the work
it could benefit people who paint or sculpt miniatures
to be in a group of others who do the same
and share experience and knowledge

yoyita_yoyita
03-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Miniatures is a different category, you can not include a miniature in a normal size art competition, neither can you enter a normal size painting on a miniature art competition. It does presents different challenges to the artist, specific to this category

there are some links to miniature paintings on the poll, page 2.

mame
03-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Yoyita said,
"Miniatures is a different category, you can not include a miniature in a normal size art competition, neither can you enter a normal size painting on a miniature art competition. It does presents different challenges to the artist, specific to this category"

Just to clarify.......I am exhibiting 5 miniatures in a show that did not specify miniatures nor did it state specifically that miniatures were not acceptable.

A miniature is a big painting only smaller.

heh
03-17-2004, 05:26 PM

wisdom!

surreal
03-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Yoyita said,
"Miniatures is a different category, you can not include a miniature in a normal size art competition, neither can you enter a normal size painting on a miniature art competition. It does presents different challenges to the artist, specific to this category"

Just to clarify.......I am exhibiting 5 miniatures in a show that did not specify miniatures nor did it state specifically that miniatures were not acceptable.

Hi Mame,
I don't think your experience is the norm.

mame
03-17-2004, 07:25 PM
surreal.......yup :rolleyes:

I was just acting out re all these little subforums of subphilums of sub-subs
I think they're dumb - the forums that is, not the work or inclination toward particular "kinds".
Just ignore me as usual.

arourapope
03-17-2004, 07:37 PM
How small does a painting have to be to be considered a mini?

TeAnne
03-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Another forum to wade thru'?

Tamana
03-17-2004, 07:46 PM
My point was that here (WC), the painting is viewed the same irrespective of size once uploaded be it a 2" x 4" or a 2' x 4'. The mediums expressed to create miniatures are also used to create abstracts and contemporary pieces. An abstract or contemporary is an abstract or contemporary regardless of size and can be posted here, or the Classical etc. etc., or whichever forum the piece fits in. I guess I was just focusing on the category of the art vs. the size and the fact that it's an internet forum and all art is basically viewed in the same manner. Didn't know we were talking about contests etc.

Have you considered participating in the mixed-medium forum? It's a wonderful forum and the people in it are very supportive.

My question was sincere about the discrimmination, which was never answered. Do the miniature artists feel their work is overlooked here at WC because of the relatively small size?

And I see you're from Nicaragua. Where? I was just down there in December. I loved it and the people. :)

yoyita_yoyita
03-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Go to the second page of the poll,

here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174749&page=2&pp=15)
See some of the answers,
quoting AridaneArts
<<Britain has set the standards for defining the parameters of a miniature painting, that being a maximum 6"x4" frame and picture size, and for portraits, 2" maximum for the size of the head. I believe most American Miniaturist societies have adopted these parameters.

Attention to detail is very important in the judging, consequently tiny brushes are used, some with only ONE hair (I save my cats' whiskers, when shedded, just for this purpose).

A miniaturist doesn't use raised brushstrokes, as that would detract from the painting. Smooth surfaces are preferred so nothing detracts from the detail. For this reason, painter's canvas shouldn't be used because the weave is entirely too large for a miniature. A miniature needs to be very tightly rendered. When using watercolor as a medium, wet-into-wet would not work because the technique's hallmark fluidity and looseness does not lend itself to depicting fine detail. The same goes for the use of a palette knife in oils or acrylics. Supports used are ivory, ivorine (a synthetic ivory), vellum (which lends itself to many glazes which bring up luminosity), hot-pressed watercolor paper, parchment, wood and even roughed-up (sanded) plexiglass (careful here, it's archival qualities are questionable at best). >>

In other words Miniatures have different guidelines for shows and to be a miniature. It is a completely different categoy in the Art world.
BTW I am from Managua, Nicaragua.

Tamana
03-17-2004, 09:14 PM
I understand the technique regarding the creation of a miniature. I had read about the one bristle (but not the cat whisker) somewhere else, but can't remember where. I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that miniature is an art all unto itself which demands extreme patience and precision. But so does realism, or Classical. Or any other art form. This is WC, it's more of a community, not a contest or gallery (per se).

If a forum is what you guys want and you get it that's wonderful. It's not going to affect me or this or any other forum either way. It's not like we 'don't' want you to have a forum. It's the fact that despite the technique used to create something, the 'thing' is still 'the thing' be it abstract/contemporary/classical/etc.etc.etc... I think to catagorize an artform because of the technique and size vs. the style could prove to be a very tricky can of worms here at WC.

Would this mean that plaster of paris or other forms of molding (because it renders a different form than flat or medium than standard) would require their own forum as well? What about encaustics? What about those who produce on a large scale, say 3' x 4' and over? Have you ever produced on a large scale? Do you know what's involved? Have you ever painted an 8" x 10" realist portrait? All of these take skill and patience and intricacy of iris and line of lip.

Are miniatures, when scanned in and uploaded here at WC, any different than a large scale abstract, say 4' x 8'? From what I viewed on that thread my answer would be no. And you still didn't answer my question about the discrimination issue and if you and other miniaturists feel you are? I respect and admire you for what you do; however, I do not consider miniature any more precious than what's accomplished in this forum, or the oil. or the watercolor, or the classical, or the mixed-media.

I stayed in Managua for the majority of my visit. I thought a terrorist attack had occured or a war started on Christmas Eve. ;) I have never seen the like s of fireworks all over an entire city like that. I was in awe.

Good luck on your request.

yoyita_yoyita
03-25-2004, 10:54 AM
This post posted double.

Tamana
03-25-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Tamana
I understand the technique regarding the creation of a miniature. I had read about the one bristle (but not the cat whisker) somewhere else, but can't remember where. I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that miniature is an art all unto itself which demands extreme patience and precision. But so does realism, or Classical. Or any other art form. This is WC, it's more of a community, not a contest or gallery (per se).

If a forum is what you guys want and you get it that's wonderful. It's not going to affect me or this or any other forum either way. It's not like we 'don't' want you to have a forum. It's the fact that despite the technique used to create something, the 'thing' is still 'the thing' be it abstract/contemporary/classical/etc.etc.etc... I think to catagorize an artform because of the technique and size vs. the style could prove to be a very tricky can of worms here at WC.

Would this mean that plaster of paris or other forms of molding (because it renders a different form than flat or medium than standard) would require their own forum as well? Sculpting life size and sculpting in miniature are different, the materials are different, the molding material too. You missed my point. What I was asking was IF these other techniques (such as sculpturing or encaustics) of producing art 'differently' from one another would require a forum as well if we were going to base forums on size and technique vs. genre. What about encaustics? What about those who produce on a large scale, say 3' x 4' and over? Have you ever produced on a large scale? Yes Do you know what's involved? Yes Have you ever painted an 8" x 10" realist portrait? Yes All of these take skill and patience and intricacy of iris and line of lip. You forgot to agree with this part. All artists use different techniques to acheive the look they're after.

Are miniatures, when scanned in and uploaded here at WC, any different than a large scale abstract, say 4' x 8'? Yes the technique is different, ie. oils can not show brushtrokes, you have to sand between layers, in watercolors you have to burnish between layers. I am not discussing technique. I was referring to the actual photos you view once posted on WC. From what I viewed on that thread my answer would be no. And I still say it's no. They look the same as any other size once uploaded. And you still didn't answer my question about the discrimination issue and if you and other miniaturists feel you are? I don't think so. Thank you for answering. I didn't think you were. I respect and admire you for what you do; however, I do not consider miniature any more precious than what's accomplished in this forum, or the oil. or the watercolor, or the classical, or the mixed-media. It is not more precious, it is simply different technique. Exactly my point. The only thing different is technique. The thing is still what it is irrespective of size. I am in awe of a large piece just as I am a miniature. So, should there be another forum for 'things' over 3' x 4'? etc. etc. THAT is my point. You seem to be focused on size and technique vs. genre, and I am focused on genre. It's just a matter of being on the same page is all. :)

I stayed in Managua for the majority of my visit. I thought a t e r r o rist attack had occured or a war started on Christmas Eve. I have never seen the like s of fireworks all over an entire city like that. I was in awe.

Good luck on your request.

Thank you.

You're welcome.