PDA

View Full Version : glass turtle

Mark Wilson
03-16-2004, 10:40 PM
i have started to attempt to make a new glass form, turtles. i make the turtle shell using fused glass techniques, then pick it up on the body made using offhand techniques. then i flame some stringers for eyes. here is one i made last weekend.

bluelizzy
03-16-2004, 10:58 PM
Hey, he's really cool. I like the way his neck is stretched out, great colors too.

Hal
03-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Really cool turtle Mark. I have made some small ones off the mandrel with the torch but never thought to do a fused body. What did you do for the dots, frit? I have some Bullseye lying around, I might have to rethink how to use it.

Hal

Moth
03-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Mark!

Really great colors and I love the personality you have given him by stretching his neck out like that. What a cute character.

~~Mary

Parrotise
03-16-2004, 11:54 PM
Very cool turtle! Kind of reminds me of the little turtle in Finding Nemo. I think his name was Squirt.

Nice work! :clap:
Vicki

sugarbee
03-17-2004, 02:08 AM
Wow what a adorable turtle!
I find the whole process interesting too.
Fusing and than off hand work , your very clever.
I hope you do more and post them for all of us to enjoy.

Mark Wilson
03-17-2004, 07:31 AM
Really cool turtle Mark. I have made some small ones off the mandrel with the torch but never thought to do a fused body. What did you do for the dots, frit? I have some Bullseye lying around, I might have to rethink how to use it.

Hal

the shell is made from sheet glass. we cut up pieces and then fused then to a piece of green sheet glass. after the fusing, i flipped the shell over and then picked it up on the turtle body.

Mark Wilson
03-17-2004, 07:42 AM
here is a photo of what my wife and i made last weekend. i make the flutter bowls to sell to pay for my HABIT!!!! my wife makes the flower eggs.

Mark Wilson
03-17-2004, 07:44 AM
here is a close up of an experiment. i wanted to see if some metal do-dads that i saw for sale at my favorite local glass store, woulf fit my 90 COE glass. it fit fine, so now i have lots of ideas. this metal dragonfly was about 2 inches long.

saucy
03-17-2004, 08:13 AM
He's a cutie. I am assuming you are using boro glass. Am I right?

I too long his long neck. His shell is very nice.

Mark Wilson
03-17-2004, 08:29 AM
He's a cutie. I am assuming you are using boro glass. Am I right?

I too long his long neck. His shell is very nice.

no, not boro. he is made using 4c cullet for clear glass, and bullseye for color.

AnnArbor_Blower
03-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Mark,
I like the turtle! Are you going to try any larger?

In the picture showing a variety of work, the other turtle appears to have it's "spots" lined up in a strict checkerboard-like pattern. FWIW, I prefer the one you showed first. (I suspect you do too, as you chose to highlight it.)

Jeff

Alegre Designs
03-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Whoa Mark,
The turtle is great, very interesting technique. The copper dragonfly reminds me of the old sulphide marbles. They're more of a white then turn to a silvery color when they are diped or encased.
Very cool!

csamson
03-17-2004, 11:02 AM
awsome Mark :clap:

ReZ

Judy in MN
03-17-2004, 02:11 PM
What a cutie turtle. I really like the flutter bowls, too!

Judy in MN

Mark Wilson
03-18-2004, 10:20 PM
here is a close up of a cobalt blue flutter bowl. i decorated it with an array of internal bubbles, and a wisp of silver on the outside. it is really heavy, probably about 10 pounds.

Mark Wilson
03-18-2004, 10:21 PM
and last but not least, here is one of my wifes beautiful flower eggs.