PDA

View Full Version : Auto Air quetion

XmikeyX
03-16-2004, 07:06 PM
hello...i am relitively new to airbrushing, i have been doing it for a little under a year. i started doing helmets, and ive been doing them using all auto airs colors, but recently someone told me you only needed to use auto air colors as a base coat and i can use my normal createx colors to do the designs.

is this true?

Penny220
03-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Personally, I do not believe in the use of any waterbased paints in automotive work (helmets qualify as automotive) I think you should always paint with the same family paints as what the surface is.

Createx / Auto Air question true or false

True, as a matter of fact you can skip the AutoAir all together, I wouldn't, but it can be done. AutoAir is meant to give adhesion to the surface where regular createx simply floats and tends to peel off. Once the bond is made, it does not matter.

If you are set on using non-toxic waterbased acrylics on helmets, try Golden. You will be much happier with the paints themselves. I don't believe AutoAir is non-toxic anyway. You can use both Golden fluids and Golden airbrush paints for the same thing and you will have a much better paint to work with for other surfaces. If you plan on only doing helmets and the like, invest in a set of HOK and a good resperator.

HF AIRBRUSH
03-17-2004, 02:08 AM
hello mikey,
welcome here at wet canvas....
you can use the normal createx on the auto air but it doesn't make any differents...you still need to clearcoat the painting.
the clearcoat is making your art last and not the createx....
They say that on some materials you don't have to clearcoat the paint but i never trusted createx without any clearcoat...

henk

XmikeyX
03-17-2004, 12:42 PM
i always clear coat my helmets after their done.
thanks for all the help, im not set to using water based paints, its just anything else is hard to find, but thanks for the answers, ill post the helmet im working on in a few days...

Rodman
03-21-2004, 12:23 PM
I use to use autoair paints...switched over to House of Kolor...I won't go back...no more problems with lifting..drying time is WAY down...no more hot air guns to mess with...the list goes on and on...ANY auto paint store will (well , should) be able to get you hooked up with H.O.K. paints...the colors are great ...pearls,candies,bases,clears...they all rock!!! good luck..looking forward to seeing what you post....check out my helmets at www.rodmansvisuals.com If I can be of any help...just ask.. Rod-Man