PDA

View Full Version : Masters of Art - Art vs MFA

SuzySue
03-16-2004, 07:55 PM
What is the difference between a Masters of Arts in Art and a Masters of Fine Arts? When is one better than the other?

Sue

MikeN
03-16-2004, 10:10 PM
hello Sue,

It really depends. An MA can be a stepping stone to an MFA or just an art history degree. Typically an MA is around 30-35 graduate credit hours, an MFA is an additional 30-35 credits or 60-70 total. The MFA is the terminal degree in the studio arts feild. It is in place of a PHd. An MA in art history is different then an MA in art studio.

The school that I attended required students to apply for an MA first. After completion they have to reapply for an MFA. This gives the school another chance to weed out the student. However, other schools let students start their graduate education in an MFA program. Also note that the MA and MFA do not always need to be the same discipline for studio programs.

If you are a studio artist an MFA is the degree of choice. IF you are an arthistorian then your choice may be an MA in art history which could eventually lead to a PHd in art history.

Hope this helps,
Mike

SuzySue
03-17-2004, 01:38 AM
Thanks - so I could get a MA in Art (not art history) and later get a MFA if I want and are good enough.

Sue

MikeN
03-17-2004, 12:13 PM
Yes, that is my understanding. You should double check with the school in question to be safe.

Mike