PDA

View Full Version : I Blew It! (Vessel Success)

wonderwoman
03-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Reading all the advice on blowing vessels with a hollow mandrel (I'd like to say a big fat :)Thank You!:) to everyone!) inspired my to attempt one of my own. 2 pictures are attached; the pink one was the 3rd attempt, the blue was 4th. The stoppers are long glass drops.

Details:
Pink Vessel-- 1-1/4" high, 1-1/8" diameter
total height with stopper = 1-7/8"
vessel capacity = 3ml

Blue Vessel-- 1" high, 3/4" diameter
total height with stopper = 1-1/2"
vessel capacity = 6ml

They are shown full of water.
I am sooooo excited about these! Not the vessels themselves so much as the technique! Until yesterday I'd been using the winding method without much success. Blowing the bottles takes just as long (for me, anyways) but is a lot more fun!

--Dianna

littlecrow1
03-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Those are cool!!! :clap:

wonderwoman
03-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Deb!

Something I forgot to add in the original post:
With all the information regarding dimension, capacity, etc., would someone please suggest a retail price for each vessel? They will probably be converted to pendants later on, but until then I'd like to estimate the prices for just the bottles.

Anyone else out there selling vessels? Comments, links, pics? C'mon and BRAG! You know you want to! ;)

DonnaBee
03-16-2004, 03:45 PM
I want to try this! Those are pretty. I read in Corina's spotlight how to do it, what kind of torch are you on again?

Jamn!
03-16-2004, 04:30 PM
I love the colors and the tops are awsome!! :)

DebbieSue
03-16-2004, 04:50 PM
I haven't tried a vessel with a hollow mandrel yet. Those look great! :clap:

Debbie

wonderwoman
03-16-2004, 05:11 PM
I want to try this! Those are pretty. I read in Corina's spotlight how to do it, what kind of torch are you on again?

I'm using a HotHead with propane. The thread that finally convinced me to make like the wind and blow, was here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114172&highlight=vessels).

wonderwoman
03-16-2004, 05:20 PM
I forgot to mention, the bottles were made on a 1/4" stainless steel hollow mandrel. I read somewhere that if you get bead release (moisture) inside the mandrel, it causes it to heat up beyond belief. To avoid cooking my fingers, I poured a small amount of FPI into a spare bottle (I had an empty one on my bench) and added a small amount of water to thin it out. Then I dipped the rod into the bottle, lifted it out enough that it was no longer submerged but the end was still in the bottle, and then blew hard into the other end, forcing out the excess FPI. I put it directly into the flame to dry to see if the rod got hot, and it was fine.

wonderwoman
03-16-2004, 05:22 PM
I haven't tried a vessel with a hollow mandrel yet. Those look great! :clap:

Debbie

Try it! I know I'll never go back to winding those stinking disks again!

snootyvixen
03-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Cool vessels!!! I especially like the larger one. Sorry I can't help you with pricing.

Now, I have to ask once more, and I know it's been answered a trillion times - save my old fingers from searching WC! and tell me where to get hollow mandrels from? I think I must take Tink's hint and try this myself .... just can't help it! LOL!!!

Vikki