PDA

View Full Version : What I do when I'm not at the bench!

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-16-2004, 02:23 PM
Whee!
Ok, so I was thinking to myself, "Self, what DO you do when you run out of wire and can't afford any more beads to entertain yourself until you sell enough to replenish the supplies??"

Then I thought, well, that's silly. I draw! I paint! I do all those fun things that Graphic Artists usually do when they're supposed to be working../cough, innocent whistle.

So, I thought I'd start a thread to see what else you guys all do when you're not hammering, heating, melting, pounding, beading, dying, etc. Does anyone explore alternate mediums?

Here's a few of mine. The first one I did for an Illustration demonstration. Black and white Prismacolor pencils on pink Art Again paper.

The second one is another Illustration demo, it was a montage of images for a ridiculously addicting online game my husband and I like to play. Black and white Prismacolor pencils on grey Art Again paper.

And the last image is just a flowing graphic image I had to do for a class. Watered down black acrylic paint on illustration board.

Cheers!

~Danielle

ringslingin
03-16-2004, 03:16 PM
what else you guys all do when you're not hammering, heating, melting, pounding, beading, dying, etc. Does anyone explore alternate mediums?

You're supposed to spend time away from the bench?

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-16-2004, 03:25 PM
You're supposed to spend time away from the bench?

/sigh..Alas, I do...when I run out of supplies!

:p

~Danielle

ringslingin
03-16-2004, 05:40 PM
/sigh..Alas, I do...when I run out of supplies!

:p

~Danielle

You're supposed to stop buying supplies at some point?!?

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Hmmm, I think so...I think that occurs when you run out of funding...i.e: CASH!

Military families are notoriously poor, you know...and I know you know!
:D

~D.

DonnaBee
03-16-2004, 06:50 PM
When I'm not making jewelry or beads, then I like to post a lot on the internet. :D I really do think that is an art form, by the way! :p ;)

I have made a couple cigar box purses, and in fact I owe my-sis-in law one, thank you for reminding me! I have most of the stuff I need for this one. She would probably appreciate it if I would get going on it.

I would like to do altered books, but I have a mental block about getting started.

I am teaching myself Paint Shop Pro and working on putting together a nice layout of handmade jewelry images that can be printed on a 23 x 35" poster, (that's my current project.) I just figured out how to remove backgrounds, that's fun.

I can't sew. I don't like anything about it. I don't have the patience. But I really admire those who do, like my mom, who has a nice quilting sewing machine. Art quilts blow my mind!

Sometimes I write poetry, and I do some creative journaling. I write down as many of my dreams as I can remember and that I have time to, I get frustrated when my morning is so busy I can't write down the dreams from the night before, which is often.

McDuck
03-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Obviously you have never seen my supply of supplies. currently I am low on glass...need more .999 silver for the glass, I really do need some 3 + 4mm swarovski bicones, oh yeah must look into the bulk buy, need some 10-18g sterling sheet for my silversmithing, can never have too much metal you know, looking at buying a kickpress for my jewelry...when I get it I will post it to see if anyone else might want one too, they are a steal! I dont draw, I have all thumbs there, cant paint either unless it is a wall, I am quite good at floral design, used to crotchet, not knit. I am quite busy right now making ceramic beads, winding up next weekend to make porcelin beads, more glass beads...back to the supplies, Just got my tax check so I am off to NCECA thursday for some fun with andi, marsha and melanie and ??? Just got my new baby...*shhhh...more on it later* and...hmmm...I am sure one day I will run out of beads if someone would keep me away from the wholesale booths! :D So, the only time I am not at the bench is when I am at my day job, out of town, eating, sleeping or doing the quality time with the fiancee or daughter. Really I dont have enough time on the bench when I come to think of it! :mad: BTW...I have a ton of beads and bali because I have ran into some really fantastic deals! Like $5 chalcedny facetted beads (1 strand), 0.29/gram bali, glass 5% over wholesale...i have been very fortunate to find good deals! Mary...errrr...McDuck

Shirley C.
03-16-2004, 08:00 PM
i don't think i'll run out of jewelry-making supplies for the next 50 years, and i won't live THAT long. :D

i still go to all of our local quilt shows, and i start getting fired up every time i do. if i had lots more time, i would probably start working with my fabric stash again - don't know about quilting, but i'd do something. but there's that time thing again...

nope - making beads and making jewelry takes up all my creative time. and so far, i'm loving it!

lisilk
03-16-2004, 08:01 PM
I would like to do altered books, but I have a mental block about getting started.

Donna,

I'm not a jeweler so won't comment on the main question, just thought I would tell you that we have some FABULOUS altered books artists in this forum. RoseQueen and Artsybabe come to mind. Do a search for altered books...you may get inspired ! :evil:

Li

DonnaBee
03-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Oh, Li, I have read that one really long Altered Books thread here in Mixed Media many times... it's one of the things that first drew my attention to the art form months ago...

I think the trouble I have with getting started in altered books is that I feel there are no parameters to work within, does that make sense? It is so creative, and there are such endless possibilites, that I am not sure where I would begin, it's weird - this way I feel about it!

I suppose some would feel that way about jewelry or glass beads though, but with that, I do have a sense of what limitations I want to work within. I feel focused, I guess, on certain things and definitely know what I exclude.

But with the altered books... I could just get lost in this vast sea of possibilities! I think I just need to figure out, what do I want to say? And then make the book. I love the idea of making a book with content that isn't neccesarily text. I would like to do a limited edition of 10 or a hundred, or perhaps create a very unique 'zine format of some sort.

I sort of have an idea of combining bookarts with my glass bead and jewelry arts. I might do a 'zine, or limited edition handmade book that somehow portrays my love of handcrafted beads and jewelry.

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Donna~

Ok, now I'm really fascinated with this altered book stuff! Don't be wary of it girl! If I took a stab at it, I'd just jump right in with both feet! I think the endless possibilities is what always helps me want to do things like that. It takes a little focus, but I'm sure once you got your feet wet, you'd be just fine and zoom right in on your own style there too.

/raises an eyebrow and looks at her stack of magazines, collages and books...

Hmmmm.....Imagine the possibilities!

~Danielle

lisilk
03-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Donna~

Ok, now I'm really fascinated with this altered book stuff! Don't be wary of it girl! If I took a stab at it, I'd just jump right in with both feet! I think the endless possibilities is what always helps me want to do things like that. It takes a little focus, but I'm sure once you got your feet wet, you'd be just fine and zoom right in on your own style there too.

/raises an eyebrow and looks at her stack of magazines, collages and books...

Hmmmm.....Imagine the possibilities!

~Danielle

Well gals, you are in the right place. If you decide you want to get started or need help starting, there's plenty of help here. ( As you can see, we're very friendly and VERY nosy ! ) Just start an Altered Book WIP thread and holler. LOL.

Cheers,

Li

P.S. I would be intimidated as heck to even start thinking about jewelery !

DonnaBee
03-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Li, you seemed so nice at first, but clearly you are evil! :p ;) :D :)

Danielle, this is so great we have discovered this, now we have something to do with all that extra time on our hands! Not!

hehe, really though, I have a huge stack of Somerset magazines, and they are so intriguing to me, I am working on getting every single back issue that is still available.
Whenever one is in my mailbox, it makes my whole day...

This might be really out there, but I want to alter an old Bible. I have all these plans for it. (It's not a valuable book or anything, as antique books go.) But I am afraid that might seem very strange, and I wonder if it has been done before? This old Bible was my late father's family Bible. There are so many things I could do to honor his life with it! I want to carve niches and windows and put little treasures from his life in it. Currently I have these small mementos from him in a cigar box. Just some unique little things, he was a unique man, with a unique spiritual outlook. Sorry to hog this thread, perhaps I should start my own to ask if Holy Bibles have been altered.

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Hmm, Somerset magazine? I've never heard of it!! What am I missing out on??

And Donna, regarding the Bible altering...religion is always a tricky topic, and some might be offended that you'd want to do that, but personally, I think it's a great idea. If that's what your Dad loved and believed in, I think it's a great memorial to his spirit and soul.

You better show me pictures when you start that project!!

:clap:

~D.

lisilk
03-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Danielle- Somerset is a Western States magazine that covers gardening, cooking ( great recipes ) , recreation in the west, some crafts.

Donna- Altering a bible. Yes that could possibly offend some people but let's face it, you will never please all people all of the time. There was another woman some time back ( early last year ) that was also working on a bible. I'll try to track down the thread. Religion and spirituality don't reside on shelves or on pages. It resides in heart and intention. And your intention to honor your father comes from love so who could object to that ? ( Although I should be all over you for calling me evil. ( :evil: :D :evil: )

I say...go for it.

Li

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-16-2004, 11:54 PM
I think Li is evil too!! She totally threadjacked me! LOL! :evil:

We should make her repay us by sending us some pretty silk scarves as an apology! Yeah, that's it!

/wink wink nudge nudge

Hehehe, just teasing Li! This is a great thread. Although, I'd like to know where the other 168 ppl that posted they wanted a Wearable Arts forum are!! /grumble

:)

~D.

Rose Queen
03-17-2004, 12:01 AM
Whoa, Danielle, you've been hiding your light under a bushel! You need to cross-post in some of the other forums because your work is really outstanding! I especially am drooling over that portrait... :clap:

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

LHBeggs
03-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Pardon me for butting in...I believe the Somerset magazine that was referred to is Somerset Studio, which features paper arts, stamping arts, and lettering arts. It is my absolute favorite magazine and a huge inspiration. They solicit reader artwork like mad, and no one cares if you are a professional or amateur.

In fact, I am currently working on a piece that I will be sending to them next week to meet one of their deadlines. I have never submitted to this magazine or any other, so this is a big stretch for me! The last time I risked rejection was submitting college applications back in 1985!!

I'm so pleased that there are altered book artists on WC. I will definitely go check that out. I've only done one altered book, but I certainly recommend trying it (and getting addicted). It's like having dozens of miniature canvases to play on. If you don't like what you made, cover it up, cut it out, or glue it shut. It's wonderful fun. My book has no theme. It's totally experimental, and I like it that way.

LHBeggs
03-17-2004, 12:40 AM
Oops, how about I get back on track with this thread?

I used to make jewelry, but I stayed away from the bench TOO long and got sidetracked...for the last three years! So watch out, you might fall in love with another art form, or several, as I did! (It's not a bad thing, though, really!)

I do photography, digital art, make collages...play with rubber stamps, make handmade paper and books, sew...

...but once in a while I make myself a new pair of earrings as a treat :angel:

DonnaBee
03-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Good morning! I was terribly unclear... yes it is Somerset Studios magazine that I meant.

Danielle...... I have a link for yooooou....

DonnaBee
03-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Here:

http://www.stampington.com/html/somerset_studio_magazine.html

:evil:

My evil deed for the day! Just for our Danielle!

Thank you Li for thoughts on my altered Bible idea. I want to make it beautiful, and also it will say something, and be a tribute to my Dad, and also very personal to me.

Maybe I will do a work in progress post. I have many of the materials assembled... it might take me a few months to actually approach it though, when the timing is right....

jacki
03-17-2004, 02:22 PM
:D "This is a great thread. Although, I'd like to know where the other 168 ppl that posted they wanted a Wearable Arts forum are!!"

Well here's another one :) (and I tried to vote again, but ..)

When I'm not making beads, or making jewelry with the beads, it would be fiber....I love silk painting, batiking, felting, even a bit of sewing.
Also love working with clay in warmer weather, fusing glass, casting etc.

Now I am intrigued by the Encaustic article.
:rolleyes:
apparently, my problem is focus. :eek:

latitude40
03-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Before I started working with glass a few months ago, I primarily worked in collage, assemblage, art stamping, wirework, book & box making, altered books, art dolls, polymer clay, and the like. Basically any work that was mixed media and not 2 dimensional, with the exception of digital collage. I also dabble in black & white photography and had several jewelry courses covering casting, enameling and working with cut & soldered metals.
I used to teach photography and art in a public school, but now I work as a Graphic Designer.
I don't think I could ever commit to one medium. I'm curious to see what kind of work I will produce when all of my interests converge!

Karen

DebbieSue
03-19-2004, 10:24 PM
I have a sample of some of the quilling that I have done. For those unfamiliar with it, it's working with strips of rolled paper. Pretty much everything in these shadow boxes is made of strips of rolled paper. One is a representation of what's offered at my sister-in-law's florist (boxes of roses, wrapped roses, fruit baskets, floral arrangements, wreathes, etc.).

I've also made quilts (one hand sewn Cathedral Window quilt took me over a year to make - it's a really heavy sucker - has over 100 yards of material in it) and afghans. Now I'm trying to learn bead making, and jewelry making techniques to use the beads. :)

Debbie

beclectic
03-25-2004, 09:22 PM
:::Warning- Goofy Post:::

I'm all for altering books if it will stop them from breeding and filling up all the nooks and crannys of my house.

I'm constantly finding them in small groups hiding under the bed and other out of the way places and there always seems to be more of them. I didn't know that you could alter books but I'll certainly look into it. :D

Patch
03-25-2004, 09:56 PM
When I'm not working with beads or trying to make them, I sew, quilt, crochet, knit, write, name it... In fact, I decided to limit myself to everything that can be done with fabrics, threads and beads. One of my goal is to learn at least 2 new arts or crafts a year... This year is beadmaking and needlelace.

Patch

Barrie
03-27-2004, 02:17 AM
Funny you guys should mention altered books! I taught a class in January and five of the students were very into altered books, and artist journals! In fact, one of them has her own supply website, and teaches altered books all over the place! www.quietfiredesign.com I'm going to take her Artist Journal in a Day class as soon as it's closer to home!
Other than that, when I'm not at the bench, I'm at the torch, when I'm not at the torch, I'm at the kiln fusing, and when I'm not doing any of those things, I'm teaching those things!! Whew! I threatened my dh that I was going to take a day off. He said "Okay, what are you going to do?" And I very sheepushly and quietly mumbled "oh, I don't know, maybe make beads, or there's a really cool ring I have an idea for......" I guess I'm an addict!!!