PDA

View Full Version : Coming Out Of the Box, Slowly

midniteburner
03-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Ok, we have had our discussions in the Lobby about coming out of the box. Yes, the heated thread has made a lot of us think... hummm Me too. It is hard and slow. I am so used to making matching pairs.

I decided to give it a try. I took my favorite jungle style and struggled to make a set, with just a little different twist to it. This felt rather strange to put together.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2004/12611-Dsc01235t2.jpg

Did I start to succeed? What can I do to pull it more together?

Sara

Modesto
03-15-2004, 04:48 PM
I love the combo :clap: Sara :clap: it SCREAMS JUNGLE :cool:
Hmm, "pull it more together"...maybe some female dancing silhouettes? :D :cool:

midniteburner
03-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Hmm, "pull it more together"...maybe some female dancing silhouettes?

Yeah Harold, that's just what I need to hear on this dark and drizzled out day. LOL!!!

Sara

Toni Lutman
03-15-2004, 06:39 PM
I don't know what you did to get out of that box, but it worked :clap:

Toni

DeberLee
03-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Well, Sara, I'd say you did a beautiful job of pulling it together.

midniteburner
03-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Toni and Deb,

Thanks so much for the kind words. It really isn't as easy to "come out of the box", as one would think.

It still just doesn't seem to look right. :confused: Maybe it's just because I am soooo used to matching pairs.

Sara

DebbieSue
03-15-2004, 11:35 PM
Doesn't look right to me either. The beads are gorgeous though... :) Maybe another try with some other beads?

Debbie

bijoulune
03-16-2004, 12:31 AM
I really like the mixing of your different patterns and colors, it's so fresh ... :clap:

lunamoonshadow
03-16-2004, 12:39 AM
It's not a jungle...it's a SAFARI!!!
I love it :)
Great beads, great fun prints!
--Lyn

BurningScentsations
03-16-2004, 12:55 AM
Sara, the beads are absolutely beautiful and should make some really lovely jewelry.

Congratulations on your terrific work! :clap:

I've been thinking about your question as to how to pull it together. While I do like the beads as you have them displayed, I can see how it might be difficult to work them into a single piece of jewelry since many of the beads appear to be focal sized.

Since the beads are not in matching sets, I would probably use the spacer beads in a neutral color to bring uniformity to the piece.

If you could make spacer beads (small pointed pendants) that would resemble claws or maybe elephant ivory that could hang down off of the necklace between the beads, the piece would have some additional dimension and it might come together a bit.

The finished piece(s) might look like trophies from a safari trip!

That's my two cents, anyway.

Again, congratulations on your beautiful and exotic beads.

Lloyd
BurningScentsations

midniteburner
03-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Since the beads are not in matching sets, I would probably use the spacer beads in a neutral color to bring uniformity to the piece.

If you could make spacer beads (small pointed pendants) that would resemble claws or maybe elephant ivory that could hang down off of the necklace between the beads, the piece would have some additional dimension and it might come together a bit.

Oh Lloyd, where have you been hiding? :D What an awesome idea!!!! I love it!!! That would be such a HOT look!!!

Thanks so much guys!

Sara

BurningScentsations
03-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Sara,

I'm glad you liked my idea and I can't wait to see the finished product!

Be sure to post pictures once it has been completed!

Best Of Luck,

Lloyd
BurningScentsations

3SistersBeads
03-16-2004, 04:47 PM
It still just doesn't seem to look right. :confused: Maybe it's just because I am soooo used to matching pairs.Sara

You're right! It's terrible! You better send it to me! :D :evil: :D

Blessings,
Leslie

midniteburner
03-16-2004, 04:58 PM
You're right! It's terrible! You better send it to me!

LOL!!!! You are so funny!!

Sara

Amozoo
03-17-2004, 02:22 AM
Ok, we have had our discussions in the Lobby about coming out of the box. Yes, the heated thread has made a lot of us think... hummm Me too. It is hard and slow. I am so used to making matching pairs.

I decided to give it a try. I took my favorite jungle style and struggled to make a set, with just a little different twist to it. This felt rather strange to put together.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2004/12611-Dsc01235t2.jpg

Sara
Sara! great set. I really like it.

Jamn!
03-17-2004, 05:03 AM
Lloyd does have a good idea about the different shapes and all to pull this together, but I am thinking more Bali and more of those topaz swarovski crystals you have there.
I think it looks beautiful though and would sell just fine this way!

craftylady
03-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Sara the jungle print is my favorite. So I like the beads as they are. I also like some of the other ideas as well. I think what ever you do with them they will sale just fine. As you were trying something new that is what you got. This is why it looks so different to you. Good luck and if you change the design please show it off.

Lehcar
03-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Sara,
Those look wonderful! Some spacer beads like Lloyd said would set it off right! :clap:

toozygoot
03-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Any jewelry designer would love to work with these! There are wonderful! But I think a couple more etched beads would be nice for more possibilities. But you really don't need anything for these babies to sell!

pat

Terri B-N
03-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm interested in the process of trying to expand my designing. Could someone please direct me to the earlier threads about "coming out of the box". (I've tried searching several ways, but haven't found anything.)

Terri B-N

midniteburner
03-20-2004, 03:09 AM
Hi Terri,

This is the thread I made reference to in the start of this thread.

Nursekatie's Thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174027)

Hope it helps.

Sara

gwacie
03-20-2004, 05:50 AM
Very lovely Sara. I'm glad you posted the original thread referenced. That cleared things up. I kept thinking these were quite lovely beads but what was so 'out of the box' about them for you.

So here are some questions to help solidify the process for your next round (you don't have to answer them unless you want to but thinking through will help you nail it).

1) What did it feel like for you to 'work out of the box'?
2) How did you 'click over' into the new work zone mentally?
3) In what ways did you still feel constrained as you worked?
4) You mentioned pairs seemed to be 'missing' for you in this new style. This is something worth exploring both in terms of how can you work out of the box AND include some elements such as pairs from your current practice if you want and also, WHY you feel pairs are missing. Is it a balance and symmetry issue for you? If so, do some reading about achieving balance assymmetrically (such as in drawing and composition books) to help stretch.

Ok, fwiw, those are the types of things I do to stretch. Give it a try!

Terri B-N
03-20-2004, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the link. Both these threads have me thinking more about my approach to bead design.

It can happen both ways for me...one is to decide ahead of time what to make and lay it all out, methodically working my way through the set. This is often driven by what I think will sell on eBay, and is not a bad thing. I make no apologies for it, a lot of nice beads have come out this process.

The other thing that happens for me is that a concept will just pop into my head, and I can "see" a new design. Perhaps for a single bead or maybe for a whole set or a piece of jewelry. I can't call these little visions up, but I can create a good environment in my head for them to occur. Looking at other's beads can help, but I'm often so conscious of not wanting to copy that it actually stifles me. What really seems to help for me is to spend as much time as possible at the torch, working away at "planned" sets, which gets me in the mood, and then mentally reaching, leaving an open space in my head. It's hard to describe. It's a lot like when I'm writing something, and can't think of the word I need, or the image I want to convey, if I just "reach and wait" it will slide in when I've stopped squeezing so hard.

This may not make any sense to anyone else. Also, my beads are still fairly simple, as I'm new to lampworking, but I feel patient about making progress, and know it will come with time and effort. The journey is satisfying.

Terri B-N

midniteburner
03-20-2004, 02:45 PM
Bethany,

Oh, those questions are just what I need to put up in my studio. I think it is a balance and symmetry thing for me. Symmetrical does get boring after years of it though. Although if you ever enter a juried fine arts competition, you will find that the jurors are very big on composition.

Terri,

It can happen both ways for me...one is to decide ahead of time what to make and lay it all out, methodically working my way through the set. This is often driven by what I think will sell on eBay, and is not a bad thing. I make no apologies for it, a lot of nice beads have come out this process.

If you didn't think this way, you wouldn't be able to continue this obsession.

Simple can be exciting. My best selling bracelets are the etched whitehearts with crystals.

I think that I got into a comfort zone and now I am getting bored with it. I want to move on and feel very uncomfortable with this process. I'm not going to give up though.

Sara

AutumnH
03-20-2004, 06:02 PM
The beads are beautiful and they make a great set. But (jmo!) my eye has no place to rest. Does that make sense? You need a bit of space between each of those beads so they stand out more.

There are some great suggestions here that will do that. I like the idea of some silver and topaz like Heidi suggested, or Lloyd's suggestion of tusk or claw style beads. I also like Pat's idea of etched beads, maybe some amber simple spacers etched?

I think the way it is strung is too busy for the eye. Each of those great beads is fighting for attention and none is getting what they deserve. You've got a great theme going you just need a bit more of something simple in between.

Please show us where you end up with them. I can't wait to see!

debkauz
03-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Oh Sara, you came out of the box beautifully! I love those beads! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Debbie

midniteburner
03-20-2004, 06:54 PM
The beads are beautiful and they make a great set. But (jmo!) my eye has no place to rest. Does that make sense? You need a bit of space between each of those beads so they stand out more.

Rona, you have hit the nail on the head :D :D That is the problem with this set. Ok, I am going to take your advice. thanks so much :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb, thanks for the compliment.

Sara

AutumnH
03-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Glad I could help! I can't wait to see where you go from here. I'll be watching for you to show them off!

glassguy
03-21-2004, 01:19 AM

Sara[/QUOTE]

at this point in time and with much thought I think I should have another brew-ha and think about it some more!!!!!! the beads are great!!!!

:clap: go go

john

NewCreation
03-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Just a thought about an exercise that may be useful in getting out of the box. At the Gathering in Mass. Sylvie Landsdowne shared a creative exercise she does in classes that I was intrigued by. Pick a reference image that is totally un-bead-like and try to interpret it in glass. A black and white image works well because then the colors aren't limited. She showed images of students first and last attempts and the results were terrific. There are some great images in the reference library for this. I tried to get a project started on this exercise once but the process got so difficult that I gave up. I'll try again if anyone is interested.
Sara- I think your beads are spectacular. I think I would break up the set a bit with some tribal inspired beads. I like the claw and tooth idea. I have some African nut beads that would be great too. If you want some, let me know.

midniteburner
03-21-2004, 07:53 PM
I tried to get a project started on this exercise once but the process got so difficult that I gave up. I'll try again if anyone is interested.

Amy,

I think this is a great idea!! This seems to be something that a lot of us are struggling with. "Chug and Plug" gets old, very quickly!!!!

Sara