PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear jewelry?

DonnaBee
03-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Multiple choices can be made - check as many as apply, a private poll. Tell us your jewelry wearing preferences! :)

toozygoot
03-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Interesting poll Donna! I am hoping to add one very special piece of adornment in the future - one of Misty's rings. And also one of Helen's rings two. But they would take care of the ring category! ;)

pat

Shirley C.
03-15-2004, 03:48 PM
the way i wear jewelry has changed a lot over the years. i rarely leave home without wearing it.

my wedding ring is gold, but that's about the only gold stuff i wear anymore. i wear at least one bangle and a chain bracelet on one wrist, then either 2 or 3 chain bracelets and a bangle on the other wrist, or my chains and a kevin o'grady bracelet. i have 3 kevins - love 'em!

i usually wear a necklace as well, or a pendant on a chain. i have a wonderful pendant that misty made for me - i'll scan it and post out here in this forum. i also have a necklace made by amy (new creation) that's quite drooly, and i'll post that as well.

it's funny, i hardly ever wear earrings anymore, and earrings are the whole reason i got into making jewelry and beads in the first place - go figure.

DonnaBee
03-15-2004, 03:54 PM
That would be wonderful if people would post pics of their pieces! :)

Here is a pic of jewelry I made for myself that I like to wear (other's lampwork: Lori Robbins, Scott Bouwens, Kimberly Affleck.)

Also, I will be back with a pic of my puzzle pendant from our own talented Misty! :)

Summer is coming and I need to make myself some new anklets. I want to wear one on each ankle this year.

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Glad I'm not the only jewelry hound. Great poll Donna!

Shirley~ You can't possibly come over here and name drop artists and their wares and not show pics!! Shame on you...So fess up, who's this Kevin O'Grady and what's his stuff look like??

Shirley is a jewelry tease, nyeah nyeah. :p

Donna, your pieces you made for yourself are beyooooooteful. I love the lampwork in the bracelet. /drool

~D.

DonnaBee
03-15-2004, 04:04 PM
So fess up, who's this Kevin O'Grady and what's his stuff look like??

Oh Danielle.... you know not what you ask... I have heard that if you walk into his booth at a show, that it's not possible to leave without one of his creations on your wrist... I have heard stories... I stay away from that booth.... so far...

Shirley C.
03-15-2004, 04:05 PM
okey doke, it's thread hoggie time.

here are the chains i made that i wear all the time.
and here's my Imelda - silver parts made by penny michelle.

DonnaBee
03-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Here is my puzzle pendant made by our talented Misty. It's ocean jasper set in silver that has the outline of my name "DONNA" in the background. My photo doesn't do justice to her fine polishing skills...

For now, I wear this on black thick cord, but I am planning a more suitable neckpiece for it... Front and back of same piece:

Shirley C.
03-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Oh Danielle.... you know not what you ask... I have heard that if you walk into his booth at a show, that it's not possible to leave without one of his creations on your wrist... I have heard stories... I stay away from that booth.... so far...

what you heard is true. i went to his booth in tucson last year, and after being "kevinized", i bought one of his safari bracelets. this year, i had to go back (silly me), and bought not one but two of his bracelets.

here's are some links to folks who sell his stuff:

some kevin bracelets (http://www.builttoolast.com/glassbracelets.html)

more bracelets (http://www.artglassbygary.com/art_glass_jewelry.html)

Shirley C.
03-15-2004, 04:19 PM
here's a necklace made by amy (new creation). she posted a picture of this quite some time ago on the glass forum, and i responded something like "ooooh, ahhhh, etc. etc. beautiful, etc. etc.... can i have it?"

well...

at the gathering last year, we did a trade and i now own this yummy piece.

the focal vessel is by mystic spiral.

Shirley C.
03-15-2004, 04:31 PM
after having seen the puzzle pendants that misty makes, i knew i had to have one. also, i had purchased a pietersite cabachon at a bead show and had no idea what i was going to do with it. bing! i sent it off to misty, and here's what i got back. misty does fabulous work!! it says "shirl".

Shirley C.
03-15-2004, 04:35 PM
ok, this is the last one from me. here's a bracelet i received from nurse katie - these beads are SOOOOO yummy! i love this piece!

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Ooooh, lovely lentils!

This is totally the wrong place for this pic, but I'm so excited about what I get to make with them that I had to post them...I'll throw them up over in the Glass forum too.

Got these in the mail today, I won the auctions on the Bay for these gorgeous lentils made by Tracey @ OCD Lampwork.

I'll be featuring a WC Glass Artist (among a few other lampworkers) category on my website's gallery...finished pieces, of course. Look for your name, you never know who I might feature! I bid on the sly. /wink

Anyway, here are the lentils I got today, and the orange one I had to photo in the sun, the colors are magnificent.

~Danielle

sassybird
03-15-2004, 05:19 PM
I love necklaces, earrings, scarves, very small handbags, hair jewelry, and clothing as art. I am looking forward to seeing what is to come:)

mistymade
03-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Oh, my babies!!!LOL:D I remeber those!!!:D

I don't wear much jewelry. I have a gold claudaugh wedding band that I wear all the time and I occasionally wear my pendants. I have couple that are my favs. And of course...my plays with fire ring. :D

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
03-15-2004, 10:16 PM
I'll be featuring a WC Glass Artist (among a few other lampworkers) category on my website's gallery...finished pieces, of course. Look for your name, you never know who I might feature! I bid on the sly. /wink

~Danielle

Sounds like a good reason to bid more....all in the name of research, you know. ;)

Barrie
03-15-2004, 10:20 PM
I always wear my gold engagement ring with a tiny little diamond, but it's sentimental. I have a pendant that my dh made me, charoite & purple cz - I wear that 24/7. I also wear this opal and tourmaline ring (silver band with 14k decoration). I have a bracelet that I wear that a customer made with my beads (I love clear & white!), a pair of earrings that I made with amethyst triangles - the earrings were my entry into Corina's spacer challenge from years ago (for those that don't know her, www.corinabeads.com - the beadmakers know who I mean).
Ones I don't have pics of: I also have a bracelet of 12 of Corina's reject beads, mostly florals, that she gave me when I took my first class from her (a friend and I were her first students) years ago. Other than those pieces, I wear a huge blue dichroic glass and moonstone pendant. I have a dragon tattoo, and another coming in two weeks. I have a couple of handbags done by a local woman that I absolutely love. Wearable art!! The best!! Lets see some more!!

mistymade
03-15-2004, 11:24 PM
Barrie, your work is gorgeous!!! I love that ring!

saucy
03-16-2004, 02:10 AM
I'm a jewelry hound. I have a huge armoire jewelry box and another large jewelry box full of stuff my dear hubby has purchased for me over the years. As of now I have seven wedding sets and have a huge honking diamond in layaway now at the pawn shop. Too good of a diamond to pass up.

Most of the stuff DH has purchased for me is gold, usually white gold. I wear a lot of silver but it's mostly stuff I've made or Native American.

I have seven permanent toe rings that I wear on two toes on each foot. My left foot has one ring each on two twos. My right foot has three rings on one two and two rings on another.

I don't wear tons or huge pieces, but I always have on at least a wedding ring, earrings, and necklace. I hardly keep any of my own lampwork to wear, but I wear anything that is given to me.

I have jewelry in shoe boxes in the closets that I need to go through. I have jars full of jewelry that needs to be placed in another home. Jewelry is everywhere here. Then DH has his own jewelry box and several wedding rings, watches, bracelets, necklaces, etc.

sredare
03-16-2004, 03:26 AM
Wow :rolleyes:

Whats beautifulls jewelry I see here,very like these,best regards and good luck,Ruta :)

http://www.pbase.com/sredare/sredare

DonnaBee
03-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Thanks to each of you for voting! I really enjoyed looking at the votes come in. And thanks for the posts as well! :)

latitude40
03-18-2004, 12:32 PM
I cast a vote for "other" because there are some types of adornment I enjoy wearing that were not mentioned on the list: cufflinks, tie tacks, hat pins, bolo ties, boot chains and chain belts. (Musta been all that 80's cowpunk I listened to, lol!)
I also love, love, love found object/relic assemblage jewelry. I had the awesome pleasure of taking a workshop with one of my favorite found object artists, Keith LoBue, and learned so much about working with wire, found objects, and cold connections.
http://www.lobue-art.com

Karen

Shirley C.
03-18-2004, 01:58 PM
I cast a vote for "other" because there are some types of adornment I enjoy wearing that were not mentioned on the list: cufflinks, tie tacks, hat pins, bolo ties, boot chains and chain belts. (Musta been all that 80's cowpunk I listened to, lol!)
I also love, love, love found object/relic assemblage jewelry. I had the awesome pleasure of taking a workshop with one of my favorite found object artists, Keith LoBue, and learned so much about working with wire, found objects, and cold connections.
http://www.lobue-art.com

Karen

thanks for the link - fascinating stuff, and beautiful web site!

DonnaBee
03-18-2004, 05:31 PM
I cast a vote for "other" because there are some types of adornment I enjoy wearing that were not mentioned on the list: cufflinks, tie tacks, hat pins, bolo ties, boot chains and chain belts

Excellent! Thank you! I knew there must be more. :)

I had the awesome pleasure of taking a workshop with one of my favorite found object artists, Keith LoBue,

Lucky, lucky you! I remember when he was featured in Somerset Studios magazine...

Beads-Me!
03-19-2004, 07:27 PM
It's true.... I'm a walking advertisement for my jewelry. Like Shirley and some of the rest of you the only gold on my body are my wedding rings. I also have a family ring and one of Leslie Videki's fused glass rings on most of the time.. Then there's earrings and usually matching bracelet (I'm obsessed - what can I say?). And lately I've been making matching necklaces as well! My watch is beaded. And to finish things off I have a white gold toe ring that I wear year round...... :D

Alan Cross
03-20-2004, 02:04 AM
I ticked a few but its sad I don't' ware any of my beads....somehow I am not sure they look good on a man what do you think?
Alan :)

Shirley C.
03-20-2004, 02:14 AM
I ticked a few but its sad I don't' ware any of my beads....somehow I am not sure they look good on a man what do you think?

well, if you're talking about florals, i agree. ;)

however, i think there are "manly" beads that look good on a man. string 'em on a leather cord. or hang 'em from a rubber cord with a sterling clasp. i love a man who wears beads. :D

Alan Cross
03-20-2004, 02:17 AM
LOL ok that sounds fine...maybe one of my little frog's.....or a bug... :D

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-20-2004, 08:35 AM
Turtles, IMO! I demand to see more Turtles!

Hmm, maybe I should start a contest or something dealing with turtles...

/scratches her head thoughtfully

~Danielle

DonnaBee
03-20-2004, 01:18 PM
i love a man who wears beads.

Me too! I also love the beads that men wear! I love beads, I love men, men and their beads. Beads and the men that love them. Beads and men, men and beads! :clap:

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-20-2004, 02:39 PM
/falls off her chair laughing..

Donna, you are too funny.

I think you should be the honorary Forum Comedian.

:D

~D.

Alan Cross
03-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Me too! I also love the beads that men wear! I love beads, I love men, men and their beads. Beads and the men that love them. Beads and men, men and beads! :clap:

LOL ok I am going to start.....how can I not??

DonnaBee
03-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Yeah! :)

Thanks Alan! Thanks Danielle.

We are going to have so much fun here, for years to come.

koregon
03-23-2004, 02:33 PM
well........before my glass addiction and learning to make lampwork beads...I had this very big addiction to jewelry....silver mostly...but also I had to have the gold....gems and pearls and I just loved earrings and bracelets and .....well I have so darn much jewelry and now I am a different person...I think one can go through stages in their life and well now I have a ton of jewelry I collected before I learned to make jewelry and while I was learning to make jewelry...now honestly I wear two pair of diamond earrings, both gifts from Dan...two sizes for the two holes in each ear...and my two gold wedding rings that he bought me...one for each hand...then from there...I leave the rest of the good jewelry molding away in my jewelry amour and I wear our beads around my neck and wrist. It seems the day I don't wear them when I go out and about...somehow the subject of what I do comes up and there I am with no lampwork on...so I have a collection of bracelets and necklaces of different styles....I am in the process of making myself a new wardrobe of both for a vacation coming up and it will be nice to have even more to choose from.

The sad thing is...all that cool silver jewelry..from bold to lacy styles to the gold earrings/gold gem bracelets and rings and necklaces...just sit. It was a phase in my life...which now is changed...I changed with clothes to...I used to have 120 pairs of shoes! I downsized and now only wear really super comfy ones that I know I will wear and wear...and only have about 30 maybe.
same with clothes...over half my closet is cleared out...for the kind of stuff that just doesnt go out of style, like Khaki's, black slacks, jeans and solid color turtlenecks and tee's from the gap and so forth. I find it much easier to wear any of my created jewelry with a plain canvas to decorate.

darn...I need to go to work. I wrote and novel and will bore ya all to death :D

wccecilia
03-23-2004, 02:52 PM
It looks like most of the people who answered this poll make jewelry. I've been playing with it for a while, but I don't have the money for any expensive materials... no gold or silver or gemstones or anything. I don't have the skills yet for that anyway! What I was wondering is if it is at least theoretically possible to sell base-metal jewelry... have any of you tried it, are people interested in that kind of thing, etc. Obviously I'm not planning on making tons of money or anything, just enough to buy more supplies! And of course it depends on the designs, etc. Any ideas, anyone?

Cecilia

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-23-2004, 03:00 PM
Cecilia~

When I first started out thinking I wanted to make jewelry, I just strung beads on Tigertail and used stainless steel toggles, etc. It wasn't anything fancy, but I took a boatload of that off to a festival, and sold quite well. My prices were set accordingly, mind you, and I didn't try and make ppl think they were getting precious stones or metals, but not everyone is interested in expensive jewelry. Teenage girls love sparkly things for their toes and fingers and wrists and ankles, and don't always have the budget to buy the finer materials, so they were quite content with what I sold. I had a lot of adults just as interested, so I think it all depends on your design work and how you set up your wares for sale.

Think how many ppl today still love vintage costume jewelry. :)

Good luck!

~Danielle

joycerenee
03-24-2004, 08:58 AM
I've been playing with it for a while, but I don't have the money for any expensive materials... no gold or silver or gemstones or anything.

Cecilia, that where they got me!

I was quietly minding my own business, embellishing a crazy quilt (still unfinished) when I discovered you could buy a strand of 4mm garnets for about the same price as czech glass beads. The prices on all of it were so reasonable. I was shocked to find you could actually buy gem cut sapphires for under $50.

Anyway, I bought the garnets for the quilt, made them into a necklace instead, sold the necklace and began buying more.

Oh, beads & gems are an evil addiction. Evil, Evil, Evil!! :evil:

Joy :)

DonnaBee
03-25-2004, 10:21 PM
When I first started out thinking I wanted to make jewelry, I just strung beads on Tigertail and used stainless steel toggles, etc. It wasn't anything fancy, but I took a boatload of that off to a festival, and sold quite well. My prices were set accordingly, mind you, and I didn't try and make ppl think they were getting precious stones or metals, but not everyone is interested in expensive jewelry. Teenage girls love sparkly things for their toes and fingers and wrists and ankles, and don't always have the budget to buy the finer materials, so they were quite content with what I sold. I had a lot of adults just as interested, so I think it all depends on your design work and how you set up your wares for sale.

Well said! I think there is a big market for jewelry made with base metal findings. You can market a high-end line, and also a lower priced line if you want to.

I think if you have an eye for design, and are learning good construction, then you can make jewelry out of just about anything and sell it! (Of course never misrepresenting the materials you use.)

Look, we have over 100 voters now, thank you everyone!

DonnaBee
03-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Oh forgot to add, Joy is so right, it's EVIIIIIILLLLL!!!!! :evil: I sure am enjoying the company though!

DonnaBee
03-25-2004, 10:25 PM
darn...I need to go to work. I wrote and novel and will bore ya all to death

Silly Kaye! You better come back and write us some more novels! :)

Charlee
03-26-2004, 12:10 AM
Do I wear jewelry? How do y'all think I got caught up in all this? :evil: I grabbed up the wee basket from my nightstand and scanned it's contents. The silver items are my everyday wear. My wedding band my DH had made for me - that was once a lovely indicolite tourmaline. Now it's beaten to pulp. The small band with the gold was a birthday gift. I rarely take it off and it's left a rather deep indention on my finger. The plain band was my grandmother's. My Grampa made it from a solid silver half dollar. He made one for all of us, but that was the first. :) Didn't think to put anything in for scale. The bands are about 8mm wide. Oh and the bracelet is my first chain maille piece - totally hooked on making it.

The batik beads & trade beads, I made. I cast the big ring at a girlfriend's jewelry store. We took a mold of an estate piece (with the owner's permission) that was 18kYG - so cool. The sea glass came from Dover from my stepmonster - I wrapped it (sad). The daffodil was from an old china plate I got at a yard sale. Made one for me and another for my mom - salvaged 2 from a whole plate. LOL That was back when I worked in stained glass and had my grinder, etc. set up.

Most everything else was a gift - the Maori carved bone earrings were a wedding gift from my DH (he's a kiwi). They're very white, not yellowed like in the scan. My dad had 2 Red Deer teeth made into pendants for John & me - he hunts all over the world. :rolleyes: The green onyx is so pretty & translucent. The scanner just killed it.

I have gobs and scads of various styles of jewelry - but not as much as I used to. I lost so much in a burglary several years ago when I lived in Memphis - all my gold rings, including one I designed with a honking fw pearl & tourmalines :crying: and so many pieces of totally sentimental value. Lots of art jewelry collected over years of attending the 2 big annual craft fairs - none of it replace-able. :mad: But - I have loads of old rhinestone stuff from both grandmothers and other vintage things I've collected myself. John's bought several nice pieces for me. I'm working on a bead collection too - lampworked beads, unusual stone beads - not garden variety stuff.

Now I've written a novel! sheesh.

DonnaBee
03-26-2004, 03:15 PM
They are some very interesting and unusual pieces Charlee!

I am really sorry to hear of the pieces you lost in the robbery, that must have taken some time to begin to get over.

Charlee
03-26-2004, 03:25 PM
They are some very interesting and unusual pieces Charlee!

I am really sorry to hear of the pieces you lost in the robbery, that must have taken some time to begin to get over.

Thanks Donna :) Every time I think I'm 'over it' I find I'm still angry. Maybe one day (she said, hopefully). :rolleyes:

I hope to - eventually - learn enough to be able to create the designs that live in my head. It's totally cool and so freeing to be able to communicate with people who understand the statement, "I must create or die." Perhaps I should reword that to, "I must create or SOMEONE will die." :evil:

And weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Thanks to Tink, I can't get that little squirrel out of my head! :D

DonnaBee
03-26-2004, 03:55 PM
I must create or SOMEONE will die."

LOL!!! I had a long talk with DH this morning, explaining how the creative process is for me... how it works... for me anyway... the need for uninterrupted time to think, putter around, goof off, how the whole world disappears and I am completely closed off except for myself and the new creation being born...

And the cool thing, he really does understand. Whew.

I was in a little routine, but now he is making a career change, and he is HOME, and he is always HERE!!! I have to find a new routine for my creative process. I can handle interruptions, to an extent, I have had to learn to create in spite of them, but there needs to be stretches of alone time for me. Internet time, too. Networking with you all here is a big part of it for me!

glitterbead
03-26-2004, 04:03 PM

Alan - this weekend I will post pix of a necklace that I made for my husband. It is his absolute fave!!!

glitterbead
03-26-2004, 04:08 PM
LOL!!! I had a long talk with DH this morning, explaining how the creative process is for me... how it works... for me anyway... the need for uninterrupted time to think, putter around, goof off, how the whole world disappears and I am completely closed off except for myself and the new creation being born...

And the cool thing, he really does understand. Whew.

I was in a little routine, but now he is making a career change, and he is HOME, and he is always HERE!!! I have to find a new routine for my creative process. I can handle interruptions, to an extent, I have had to learn to create in spite of them, but there needs to be stretches of alone time for me. Internet time, too. Networking with you all here is a big part of it for me!

OMG - this is ME!!!!!

Daryle is a very socially interactive person, but I am a loner! I NEED this alone time to create (even if it is just in my head), or I will explode!!! My hands NEED to give birth to my ideas!!!!!!

DonnaBee
03-26-2004, 04:18 PM
I NEED this alone time to create (even if it is just in my head), or I will explode!!! My hands NEED to give birth to my ideas!!!!!!

Yep! :D

saucy
03-26-2004, 07:19 PM
Charlee - I can't imagine how you felt after the burgulary. I think I would be devastated. There are so many pieces that have a story to them it would be impossible to replace. I hope whoever took them is having bad mojo.

DonnaBee - I've tried talking to my DH about the creative process. He had no idea until he started with stained glass. Now he wants his own time and space (imagine) and he wants to work on his own ideas. Now I hope he "gets it" a lot better than before.

DonnaBee
03-26-2004, 10:45 PM
Starlia, how great that he is getting a clue! Tell him to make some stain glass pendants and come over here and post them! :D

You all.... I have been working on a bracelet for hours this afternoon and evening! I put in lots of good time (uninterrupted!). This new forum inspired me to follow through and actually MAKE something... it isn't done yet. I am not sure if it will belong in the fugly thread or show n tell. I have to look at it with fresh eyes in the morning, because right now I think my eyes are about to fall out of my head!

Just kidding, I won't put it in the fugly thread, I will keep at it and put it in the show n tell on Sat or Sun. G'nite now!

Patch
03-27-2004, 07:00 AM
I didn't answer that one yet. In my everyday life, I work from home so all I wear is my wedding ring. THen, when I go out, you can add to that some pieces I can'T part with: lampwork beads I add to a simple silver chain. If I go out for dinner or a party, I always wear black clothes and *decorate* them with bigger jewelry: A 3 inches long goddess bead necklace.... a huge amber pendant mounted in silver, huge silver rings, silver bangles... I am a big girl and like big silver jewelry with stones.

Patch

glitterbead
03-28-2004, 06:56 PM
This is for Alan! A necklace that I made my husband with one of my Zen beads strung onto an 18" leather cord.

Alan Cross
03-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Cool thanks Lee and he wares it all the time?

glitterbead
03-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Cool thanks Lee and he wares it all the time?

I would say that he wears it three or four times a week. He would probably wear it everyday, but he's not really a morning person and has to rise way before I do (or I would remind him)!

busy91
03-29-2004, 01:44 PM
When I do wear jewlery, it is usually something I created. I haven't made any glass or polymer beads for a long while. But here is a pin I created. I didn't make any of the beads, but hey I put 'em together nicely. LOL!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2004/6937-MoonPin.jpg

redayh
04-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Very cute Liz, it reminds me of the fancy Mardi Gras masks that people make down my way (New Orleans). I like it. By the way, the little girl on your tinyhead is just TOO cute!!
Sarita

Ann_R
04-09-2004, 09:13 PM
.... medic alert bracelet

DonnaBee
04-09-2004, 09:46 PM
medic alert bracelet

Oooh, good one Ann, I sure didn't think of that!

And what about these "Q" bracelets... have you all been seeing these? They are like a ball-end bangle, or cuff, and they are supposed to help with pain, as they have a charge in them, or some such thing. The charge lasts 18 months or so, and these bracelets start at sixty dollars. I know two people who are wearing them and they swear by them! :confused:

ValorieCox
04-12-2004, 04:07 PM
No, I've never worn jewelry, it seems to get in the way, and it never occurs to me to to put it on, though I own some lovely pieces which I admire periodically. Just my wedding ring.