PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Displays

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-15-2004, 01:09 PM
Hi all~

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find some sources for good jewelry displays, i.e. chest/neck busts, bracelet displays, etc, and hopefully they aren't too terribly expensive.

Or heck, if you have some other creative inspirations for displaying your wares at shows, other than just laying them on the table, post them too! Currently, I use overturned small clear glass votive holders to display individual bangles and bracelets on. My necklaces have no home though, so I'm particularly interested in options for those.

Thanks!

~Danielle

Shirley C.
03-15-2004, 02:23 PM
ah, yes, the continuous search for the perfect jewelry display - something i'm always thinking about. glad you put this question out there!

i have double wooden bracelet bars for my bangles (got them from the rio catalog) and a single wooden bar for my necklaces that are just beads on a leather cord. i hang my pendants-on-chains on a wooden carousel (got it from sharon peters). my necklaces... well, right now i just lie them flat on the table on a piece of "silky" fabric that goes on top of the table cover. but i want to find an alternative. i have a lot of necklaces, so i really don't have room to put them all on necklace stands, but it would be nice to have a few choice pieces on stands. i've got several necklace stands, just haven't used them much. i'd love to see some alternatives.

beadsnsuch
03-15-2004, 04:43 PM
If you want really ineaxpensive - try your local thrift shop. I've picked up several wooden mug holders that make great racks for bracelets and necklaces (usually about $1-$2 a piece). I've also found all kinds of other interesting things for displaying jewelry as well as actually jewelry displays at the thrift shops. One of my favorite strange items is this tiered candle holder with little cups on it that are suppose to hold those round candles - perfect for holding beads, rings or other small items. I've even found real jewerly displays - a beautiful oak earing display (holds about 50 pairs of earings) - $4; several necklace displays for a couple of dollars a piece and a revolving acrylic earing card display for $4. You just never know what you will find. I've stuck mostly to wood and metal displays and spray paint all the metal ones black to match and they actually go together pretty well. Gives an interesting ecclectic effect to the overall arrangement. You can usually find all kinds of interesting wirework sculptural stuff that are great for hanging necklaces and other jewelry from. Look around and use your imagination and you'll be amazed at what you can come up with.

DrPam
03-15-2004, 07:19 PM
For traditional jewelry displays, various kinds of jewelry trays, jewelry packaging (from simple boxes to really nice velvet boxes in a 2-piece packer box), and other goodies, I've had good experiences with FetPack (http://www.fetpack.com/). They are geared towards wholesale, so they have a $25 minimum order and a $5 surcharge on orders under $100, but shipping is free for all orders and you don't have to have a resale number or anything. They offer quantity discounts. I've been very pleased with their quality.

-Pam
http://www.pamarama.com

earthenwood
03-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Danielle,
If you are in the Detroit area now (I see you are in Michigan part time) , there is a gem show this weekend where you may find displays at wholesale prices with out having to pay shipping. I buy a lot from the Caprock when I go to this show, but there are others. If you are interested, PM me and I will give you more info about this show...its the GLW in Troy.

Mary Riggs
03-16-2004, 03:34 PM
You might try www.firemountaingems.com for inexpensive jewelry displays. Go online and order a FREE catalog and they will send you one that contains over 600 pages!

This company is in Cave Junction, Oregon and the prices are at the wholesale level.

I order from them often and have been very pleased with the products and service. Their staff is very friendly and helpful, but most importantly to me, prompt with even an e-mail update of receiving your order, etc. They have an ironclad 100% guarantee and will mix some orders that are 'assortable' to save you money.

LLane
03-16-2004, 04:59 PM
I have tried lots of thrift store/odd lots/craft store things too!!! But I've recently ordered some good stuff from Nile Corp (http://www.nilecorp.com/) . Good prices and a nice variety from formed neck busts to leather-like and velvet covered paperboard with easel stands. Good prices.... they just have a $75 minimum.... but once you look at the selection it isn't hard to find that much stuff that you "really need." :D

Good luck,
Lois

Shirley C.
03-17-2004, 12:27 PM
rae added this thread in the glass art forum, which fits quite nicely in this thread.

unique jewelry displays (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175073)

Juls
03-16-2005, 11:08 PM
You might also check out your local clay/ceramics studio. I went to play last night at Sally Suiter's ceramics studios and found the coolest standing dragon claws. She also had some very elegant standing hands that would be great for bracelets or rings. (reasonably priced under $10, and very unique...also a bonus that I can apply different colors/finishes to them!)

~Juls

Beader708
03-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Check with your local jewelry stores for old displays. You'd be surprised what you can get for next to nothing in cost. Sometimes if you work your eyelashes :wink2: you may even get some freebies. :evil: if it's a male behind the counter.

Also I really like the displays sold here................ http://www.gemsondisplay.com/

Kerensamere
03-17-2005, 01:26 AM
I found some great frosted acrylic neck busts with 1/2 a head (necklace and earring display) at Firemountain, they had the best prices for these.

I also found some frosted acrylic neck busts at www.jewelrydisplay.com.

AND I found some cool guest towel holders at TJMaxx for $3.00 each! They work great for necklaces (I display a selection of my $20 pendants/chains on my counter) but I think they'd also work for bracelets.

I highly reccomend looking in places you wouldn't expect to find jewelry displays. Hardware stores, thrift shops, discount stores, garden center, etc.

Just think what a little copper tubing and some PVC might do for you?

Here's a photo of my display case, the smaller frosted acrylic bust from Jewelry Display can be seen up front and the chrome towel racks are behind it. You can also see part of a basic white leatherette neck bust that is height adjustable, I got those at Jewelry Display as well as some similar ones that sit flat on the counter. OH, and yeah, that's me with the sheepish grin! :wave:

-Jen

beclectic
03-17-2005, 08:43 AM
There are 3 links under Jewelers Supplies, Packing/Display/Storage in the Jewelry Links thread. Also under the General catagory the suppliers have a bit of everything.

Additionally, I've been considering making some necklace displays (busts) out of paper mache. That would be really inexpensive and you could customize your sizes and colors to your needs.

beadyeyedgirls
03-17-2005, 11:23 AM
I have tried lots of thrift store/odd lots/craft store things too!!! But I've recently ordered some good stuff from Nile Corp (http://www.nilecorp.com/) . Good prices and a nice variety from formed neck busts to leather-like and velvet covered paperboard with easel stands. Good prices.... they just have a $75 minimum.... but once you look at the selection it isn't hard to find that much stuff that you "really need." :D

Good luck,
Lois

just wanted to second that. i got my order in from nile yesterday & am pleased w/all except one thing. got some basic necklace busts that are sturdier than i thought they'd be, ziplocks, receipt books, silver price tags, cotton-filled boxes, etc. the only thing i'm surprised by are a couple of whimsical single-pr-of-earrings displays that are even tiner than i thought...& i realized they'd be small! that's my error, though, & as dh pointed out, if i ever use a shelf display they'll be fine there. they'd be lost on a table, i think.

i wish they'd had tablecloths...that's the main thing i lack at this point, & i just haven't really worked on it yet. poked around a tiny bit...but i wish for ready-made fitted black velvet & my cyber fairy hasn't led me to them yet. :)

beadyeyedgirls
03-17-2005, 11:30 AM
i totally forgot to mention that i also found some things at target that i'm gonna use. picture frames; i got some that can stay open a bit at the top. i'm gonna remove the glass & use a pin to hold a necklace. also found, in the photo frame area, these really cute place-card-holder type things. you can stick photos in the coils, kwim? i figure they can also hold little sheets w/biz info or earring cards.

also got a big platter i really like, & am gonna spread some white sand in it & use it for pendants, rings, etc. plenty of sandbags in my backyard, thank you hurricanes. :wink2:

GlassSprite
03-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi
Just got my Lapidary Journal in the mail. There is an article in it 7 Best Ways to Show your Jewelry.

Kathleen

beadyeyedgirls
03-17-2005, 12:08 PM
i dunno what's up w/magazines & my mail. i know people who've gotten the new step-by-step wire, where's mine? & now lj--hmm...maybe today will be a good mail day.

& while i'm at it, why is it that i always see new mags on the stand at the grocery or the bookstore BEFORE i get them in the mail? seems like subscribers should get them first. i always get cooking light about a week after i see it at publix.

cosmosgrrl
03-17-2005, 12:16 PM
I often display a bracelet or two draped over a fancy wine or liquor bottle -- it adds a little height to an otherwise flat table display and looks really cool. But, make sure the color or design of the bottle enhances but doesn't overpower the bracelet. I also use wide bodied glass pitchers and vases or upside-down bowls to display necklaces. Thanks to my FIL, I have a lovely collection of Depression glass and vintage art glass pieces that I frequently use in my displays. You'd be surprised how inexpensive some of this glass can be at yard & rummage sales. Serious collectors won't go near stuff that has chips or slight cracks, so you can snap those pieces up for a song. I recently came across a white glass coffee table cigarette lighter set in a neat hobnail pattern -- it consisted of a square glass lighter and a rectangular glass dish that turned out to be a perfect fit for my business cards.

I think someone might have mentioned this, but those wall sconces that hold votive candles also hold necklaces. I've got a couple attached to a piece of garden trellis that I usually prop against a wall (if I have one!). Old window frames can be turned into a funky display space, too. Paint 'em up, add a few horizontal cross bars and you've got an earring display.

Can you tell I'm big into recycling? :)

Patty

beadyeyedgirls
03-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Old window frames can be turned into a funky display space, too. Paint 'em up, add a few horizontal cross bars and you've got an earring display.

great ideas abt the wine bottles, patty! & i forgot that a friend who paints old window frames told me i could have one of hers...it has no glass, & she paints the glass, so doesn't want it. i was thinking of adding some hooks to hang bracelets/necklaces, but the earring idea sounds great, too! wonder if i could run some picture-hanging wire across it w/some eyelets...hmm!!!

ok, i need to get off the 'puter already...have some pmc pieces drying & am stalling on other stuff in the meantime. my girls' spring break begins the moment school ends today...so we're going over to jacksonville/st augustine & coming home late saturday. have a good one, everyone! :wave:

Beader708
03-17-2005, 01:31 PM
I know I already mentioned checking with your local jewelry stores and I'm serious about getting deals on old displays.

I got this setup plus extra pieces (slope boards and necks) for $25. Why? Because it's 3 yrs old and pink velvet, they wanted a change. There is no wear or dirt or rips, perfect condition. They even threw in a revolving platform for nothing. Seriously, check your local jewelers. If your not happy with colors or condition it's not hard to recover with a strechy fabric and a hot glue gun.

Check it out............. http://www.gemsondisplay.com/shopexd.asp?id=456

And as far as picture frames or old windows, if you put in a screen (local hardware stores carry it by the yard), you can just hook your earrings in the screen. And it does come in black.

tamisgem
03-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi,

Love a lot of the ideas here! I also get a lot of my displays and my cases for toting all these blings around at Lotta Displays. Their prices are really good and they give discounts for quanitity. Not to mention it is a small company so the customer service is great! I think it is 2 sisters that own it and their mom that works with them.
www.vintagecrafts.com
They also have an ebay site under the name Lotta Displays.
Tams

Doxallo
03-17-2005, 03:10 PM
-Pam
http://www.pamarama.com

Wow, Hi Pam, this is my first post here, I just joined today but I clicked on your link --- you are moving to ELLICOTT CITY, MD!!!???? That is where I live and goodness gracious its not THAT big. lol. We're gonna practically be neighbors. :) I work at Franklin Square Hospital...actually in the new cancer institute that we just opened - anyway, I am a jewelry artist and would love to meet you when you get settled, will email you through your profile if you have that turned on. :)

Wow....what a coincidence.....

Janice

Jewelry Artists Website (http://jewelryartists.bravehost.com)

Jewelry Artists Forum (http://www.gojabber.com/1/index.php?action=8&webtag=CFP)

Kerensamere
03-17-2005, 04:46 PM
I used to go to Ellicot City quite often with my Mom it was a good 1/2 way point between her home on the Shore and mine in PA. What a great Downtown area! Very charming.

Even causally dated the son of a silversmith who had a shop there (many moons ago -- before I started doing jewelry, too bad I didn't spend more time there and learn that part of the craft!). Last I was there though many of the cool boutiques were closed and more antique shops were opening. Is that still the case? Discoveries used to carry my marbled satin xmas balls when I was in college. Again, many moons ago.

Sorry, way off topic. :)

-Jen

TheBlueBetween
03-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Danielle, do you remember this thread from awhile ago? There were some great ideas and photos in it :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211288

Barbara, I think I"m going to paper mache a bust now... thank-you-very-much. :wink2: :D

Dallen
03-18-2005, 01:13 AM
US Box Company has some terrific sets of Jewelry risers and display blocks in the flock display section. The tan and grey blocks are true classics at a very reasonable price.

Dallen

beclectic
03-18-2005, 08:33 AM
<snip>

Barbara, I think I"m going to paper mache a bust now... thank-you-very-much. :wink2: :D

Pam, are you serious or joking, I'm not sure? If you do make one please post it. I think they could be very fun and make great displays.

Doxallo
03-18-2005, 09:41 AM
I used to go to Ellicot City quite often with my Mom it was a good 1/2 way point between her home on the Shore and mine in PA. What a great Downtown area! Very charming.

Even causally dated the son of a silversmith who had a shop there (many moons ago -- before I started doing jewelry, too bad I didn't spend more time there and learn that part of the craft!). Last I was there though many of the cool boutiques were closed and more antique shops were opening. Is that still the case? Discoveries used to carry my marbled satin xmas balls when I was in college. Again, many moons ago.

Sorry, way off topic. :)

-Jen

Hi Jen!! Nice to "meet" you. To be honest, I am one of those people who hasn't made good use of their native territory. People are always surprised when I saw I haven't been down on maintstreet EC for YEARS! LOL. Life is just busy I guess - ya know? I visit Baltimore and DC downtowns - they are big cities, not like our little mainstreet downtown EC. LOL.

This is only my second post here and don't want to break any rules, but if you are in PA - thought I would mention - some of us are working on a Fall weekend beading/jewelry retreat at Ocean City (MD) - you are welcome to come! I am trying to pin down a hotel and rates...one that would also have a conference room or gathering room where we could all tinker together.

Also, if you come to EC again - let me know - perhaps me and you and Dr Pam can get together for dinner or something!

TheBlueBetween
03-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Pam, are you serious or joking, I'm not sure? If you do make one please post it. I think they could be very fun and make great displays.

oh, I'm dead serious!!! I just need to figure out how... it's been oh... 25 years since I made paper mache! I've been wanting a bust/model for awhile and then after seeing Rosie's - Rosie2000/WildWoman Rosie of the super creative spirit... and then your suggestion.... I though... he!! yes, I can do that! Give me time, I'll show her to you when I'm done.... Now if I only had Karen's antique one to model it after....

beclectic
03-18-2005, 10:35 AM
oh, I'm dead serious!!! I just need to figure out how... it's been oh... 25 years since I made paper mache! I've been wanting a one for awhile and then after seeing Rosie's - Rosie2000/WildWoman Rosie of the super creative spirit... and then your suggestion.... I though... he!! yes, I can do that! Give me time, I'll show her to you when I'm done.... Now if I only had Karen's antique one to model it after....

One of the show and tells had a lot of views of her model right after she got it. Maybe you can find that, if I remember correctly it had views from all sides.

I love to squish paper mache in my hand. I don't know why, maybe it reminds me of home in the swamps. LOL.

TheBlueBetween
03-18-2005, 11:02 AM
One of the show and tells had a lot of views of her model right after she got it. Maybe you can find that, if I remember correctly it had views from all sides.

I love to squish paper mache in my hand. I don't know why, maybe it reminds me of home in the swamps. LOL.

yeah, it was right after christmas... I need to dig her up - she posted her with a heinycon, so maybe it will be easy to find that way ;)

GlassSprite
03-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Hi
About the paper mache bust. I would use plaster and cheese cloth. You can get cloth already impregnated with plaster at a good art supply store. The reason is that the plaster dries quickly. You could even use a live model. Parents use it to make masks of their kids faces. It would take forever for paper mache to dry on a model.

Kathleen

beclectic
03-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Hmmm.... I don't think it would take that long to dry over a armature of some type (chicken wire maybe). The reason I like paper mache is that it is light and doesn't break when dropped. Two things that would be important to me when doing shows. However plaster would work too. Both have their advantages.

TheBlueBetween
03-18-2005, 02:12 PM
hmn... mine is not for shows so much as photographing larger necklaces on... and for scaring the bejebers out of people who bump into her in the dark ;)