PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry/Adornment 'Show & Tell' 3/15

ValorieCox
03-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Thank you Charissa and Mixed Media members for welcoming the jewelry and adorment artists into your forum. I will start, with a couple bracelets my mom and I collaborated on.

Please join this thread with your photos, ideas and discussions related to Adorment and Jewelry design and techniques.

Valorie

Backyard Beads
03-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Wow Val! I hadn't seen your beautiful jewelry before. Thanks for the new forum. Here's one of mine from about a month ago.

Alegre Designs
03-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the opening of the new forum!
Here is one of my recent creations from Mosaic Green Morretti and Bali.

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Beautiful fringe art, girls! Val, I love the HillTribe silved mixed in there to break it up some.

Here's a bangle currently on the workbench, but I ran outta wire! Hopefully the shipment shows up today. /chuckle

~Danielle

sue ellen
03-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Here is my contribution for the jewelry/wearable art forum(i think it needs its own forum :) )

I am a sucker for buying Artistic Jewelry and for making it too. I make the majority of my work from my own handcrafted stoneware clay pieces and then add to that silver, semi precious stones and odds and ends :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106105&stc=1

dichromary
03-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Great idea, Val, here is a recent necklace:glass beads, Bali silver, and amazonite nuggets.

DonnaBee
03-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Here is my most recent bangle of copper, sterling and lampwork by Suze! Susan K. Davis.

Soon I will have new bangles to show.

Thank you to the Mixed Media guides and moderators for welcoming us, (although I have always felt welcome here and recieved warm responses and interest in projects I have cross posted between here and glass arts. )

DonnaBee
03-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Here you can see the way the disk is attached, and wears.

sue ellen
03-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Great work!!!

I thought i would also add my Handbags( since it is wearable art too :) )
I create the patterns and make the bags by hand. They are also beaded with my handmade stoneware beads.

toozygoot
03-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Lovely pieces all! And such a nice variety too!

Here are my contributions! Simple but attractive I think! The lampwork is not mine and my rusty brain is having a hard time attaching names. SO sorry!

pat

DonnaBee
03-15-2004, 12:21 PM
Mini-tutorial: (was previously recently posted in Glass Lobby)

The super-long 20 gauge coils I made and how I used

(1)my drill,
(2)the bracket that comes with The Coiling Gizmo, and
(3)a 3/32" mandrel.

There are many ways to accomplish this, but this is what worked for me recently! :)

I bought The Coiling Gizmo inexpensively (about $6.99). It works very well, but the two mandrels it comes with are each either under 3/32", or over.

I wanted some coils made on a 3/32" mandrel, so I put the 3/32" mandrel and 20 gauge wire in the drill, and held that in right hand, while holding the coiling gizmo bracket in left hand.

This worked great, my coils are really tight, and looooooooong! (One is almost 8"!)

Photos! This is 20 gauge half-hard round sterling wire.

It is a little hard to see, in my left hand is the u-shaped bracket.

Take great care if you do a long coil like this with a drill, because if you let go with your left hand which is holding the wire under your thumb... the wire will fly around with force.

So don't let go, and if you get to the end of a wire and have say, one inch left, and you at that point let go - the wire end will fly around a couple times very fast and forcefully, bruising your thumb. (wear gloves! be careful!)

Take your time with each and every step and don't work if you are being distracted.

Safety glasses and gloves for this! Careful, watch your eyes especially.

redhotbeads
03-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Such incredible work! I love looking at the technique and variety!
This is a bracelet I'm entering into a contest:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2004/10558-Delphi_2004_entry_WC.jpg
Kelly

ValorieCox
03-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Donna, what a clever design! I love how that disc likely flops around when you wear the bracelet, I had no idea you were doing this kind of work. Oh and thank you for the photo tutorial as well --that would make a great stand alone thread here, <wink>. I have one of those little tools, but had no idea you could hook it up to a drill--I suppose you have to run it pretty slow to keep it from getting away from you, and keeping the coils tight?

Sue Ellen, I'd sure like to see a close up of those bags. Is the fringe made of beads?

Thank you Danielle for getting us going! :)

Val

toozygoot
03-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Donna - Thank you for the great instructions and clear pics!

Val - Did you take a class from Stephanie Sersich or is this something you learned on your own?

Sue - I love the handbags! I hope to see more of this type of work!

Everything looks terrific!

pat

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Donna~ Have any idea where I can buy a few of those 3/32 mandrels? I wouldn't mind having a few for some of my wire winding, especially when I make coils for jumprings! Whew! Love your bracelet, too btw!

Pat~The lampwork on that bracelet is gorgeous! I love the copper mixed in, it gives it such a warm feeling.

Sue~ Love the bags, they're beautiful. I bet you slave away over those for a long time. The green one on the end is my favorite.

Kelly~ Love the purlple in your bracelet. What kind of mandrel is the entire thing supported on? Or is is a threaded bracelet?

Val~ You're welcome! :D

~D.

Alan Cross
03-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Great work.....everything is wonderful....
Alan :)

SylviaSkea
03-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Thank you, Charissa (Sassybird), Leaflin, Jakeally, and all who have invited us to join you. I hope that you enjoy what we bring and I know that we will be inspired by what you are creating.

Sylvia

little dreamer
03-15-2004, 01:14 PM
~hello everyone, thanks for showing what you create, jewelry and handbags are marvelous~

DonnaBee
03-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Donna~ Have any idea where I can buy a few of those 3/32 mandrels? I wouldn't mind having a few for some of my wire winding, especially when I make coils for jumprings!

Here are some I located on ebay Danielle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2696513137&category=10323

I don't know this seller, and there are only about 29 feedbacks, but they are positive ones.

Frantz and Arrow Springs also sell them.

I will get links. :)

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Donna~

You know, I was going to post that I didn't need quite that many, but now that I think of it, perhaps this is a good way to start acquiring lampworking supplies on the sly!!

/whistles innocently

~D. :evil:

Shirley C.
03-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Donna~

You know, I was going to post that I didn't need quite that many, but now that I think of it, perhaps this is a good way to start acquiring lampworking supplies on the sly!!

/whistles innocently

~D. :evil:

hmmm... danielle... do we have another convert in our midst? bbwwwwaaahahaha!

i can't get a good scan of this piece - the colors are so much nicer "up close and personal". i did this one a long time ago, and my mom wants it. i had to shorten it last night in order for it to fit her (she's a shortie, and only weighs 90 pounds). the heart is a china shard set in silver, which i purchased at a quilt show a few years ago, so i made the lampwork beads to match.

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-15-2004, 02:21 PM
hmmm... danielle... do we have another convert in our midst? bbwwwwaaahahaha!

Shhh!!! Don't tell my husband! I'm already in enough debt with him! Literally. LOL!

Shirley, that necklace is to die for. I love it! Lucky lucky mom!

~Danielle

redhotbeads
03-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Danielle, it's just on memory wire, with liquid silver, Bali, and a little swarovsky.
:)
Kelly

redhotbeads
03-15-2004, 02:33 PM
I mean Swarovski! Sorry, brain fart!!

Danielle, it's just on memory wire, with liquid silver, Bali, and a little swarovsky.
:)
Kelly

ValorieCox
03-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Val - Did you take a class from Stephanie Sersich or is this something you learned on your own?

Pat, the jewelry designs are primarily my moms' hard work and creation (Sylvia Skea). She did the design and execution of the bracelets I showed photos of, I just made the glass beads and collaborated a little on the color direction and selection of materials. (I just grabbed something quick to start a show and tell today :p)

Shirley, I had no idea you were making jewelry pieces like the silver lined china-shard heart. (albeit and older piece, I really like it!) So glad to see you posting in this forum!

Valorie

Kalibabe
03-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi, just a problem here, might just be my computer being a pain.... :rolleyes:

I wanted to post in the thread jewellery and adornement about how amazed i was by everyone's creations there, but i got the menus, but nothing else when i hit reply to post.

Is it me, or is there a problem posting on this thread?

For the record......

If this stuff was for sale...

I'd have to live in a tent to afford all the stuff i MUST have...
:D

Kalibabe
03-15-2004, 03:14 PM
PLUS.....................

I think mixed is the perfect place for all this stuff, the bags, necklaces, clothes maybe???? I know i haven't posted as much lately but, this stuff is brilliant... keep it coming!

toozygoot
03-15-2004, 03:14 PM
Val - I just went and looked at them for the 4th or 5th ? time now. They are so well coordinated. What I like best about them is that although they have a gazillion pieces, they aren't all over the place. Just a gentle look to them.

Shirley - love that necklace!

Kelly - I wanted to say I love the delicate look of your bracelet. I would call it airy - in the best manner of speaking! Good luck with the contest!

I hope we see more soft work like the bags!

pat

lisilk
03-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Wow , gorgeous work everyone. Welcome to the Mixed Media Forum ! Looking forward to learning from you all.

Cheers,

Li

lisilk
03-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Hi Kali,

I just posted in that Show and Tell thread so try again. Might be your computer for some reason. I believe Sassybird is having Scott set up a sub- forum for all wearable art. It's not up yet so everyone is posting in that thread for now.

Cheers,

Li

Shirley C.
03-15-2004, 03:55 PM
...Shirley, I had no idea you were making jewelry pieces like the silver lined china-shard heart... Valorie

val, just to clear up any confusion, i didn't make the heart - i bought it at a quilt show. i'd love to learn how to do this some day, though. i just don't have time to do all the things i'd like to do - aarggghh!!

thanks for the compliments on the necklace. i'm loving everything i see in this thread! i've loved artsy personal adornment forever - looking forward to seeing other types of wearable art out here as well. if i can get hubby to do some pix for me, i'll post some of the quilted vests that i've done (actually, a few are still works in progress - why i don't quilt anymore...)

Shirley C.
03-15-2004, 04:46 PM
this is one of my real treasures. i won this bead, called "winter" - made by cynthia saari, in the isgb's obsession auction a few gatherings ago. i wanted the entire focus of the piece to be on the bead, so i kept the necklace very simple - black onyx, quartz crystal, copper, and silver.

lisilk
03-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Here's a few of what I do. Hand painted silk scaves and shawls.

Li

DonnaBee
03-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Li, those are extraordinarily beautiful! I am especially fond of the one on the bottom, second from the right... that is very interesting!

lisilk
03-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Li, those are extraordinarily beautiful! I am especially fond of the one on the bottom, second from the right... that is very interesting!

Thank you Donna. That one was loosely based on an aereal view of a river. :rolleyes: Ya just never know where inspiration is going to come from.

Li :D

Shirley C.
03-15-2004, 08:39 PM
li, your scarves are stunning!

i love the one on the top right (looks like glyphs), and the trees, and the one that donna likes. wowee!! you can show more of these any time - please!!

mistymade
03-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Gorgeous work everyone!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is one of my favorite pendants, it is made out of silver and the stone is Cal Silica.

Rose Queen
03-15-2004, 08:50 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: What a clever way to get the glass people to come out and play with the rest of us! Y'all do gorgeous work (and, of course, so do li and sue ellen... :D ) :clap: :clap: :clap:

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

TheBlueBetween
03-15-2004, 09:46 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: What a clever way to get the glass people to come out and play with the rest of us! Y'all do gorgeous work (and, of course, so do li and sue ellen... :D ) :clap: :clap: :clap:

I couldn't agree more! This is FUN! I've checked in over here a few times but I know I've missed most of the good stuff! I'm looking forward to spending more time here.

What beautiful colors in those silks! And I'm so excited about all the beautiful jewelry because that is what I do too.

Here is the bracelet I made today, and a necklace I made last week that I just love:

sredare
03-16-2004, 03:36 AM
Hi :)

Cheking out this thread and feel me if making visit to good exhibition :cool:

Very intresting to see these jewelry,I had a big pleasure,thanks.
best regards,Ruta :clap:

http://www.pbase.com/sredare/sredare

redhotbeads
03-16-2004, 06:11 AM
Li, those are just gorgeous .... stunning....my fave is the one with moon and stars!
Kelly

leigh lane
03-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Way too many gorgeous things to comment on individually, but what a treat to see all your beautiful finished work.

......a wonderful addition to WC.

Leigh

McDuck
03-16-2004, 11:28 AM
So many beautiful items on this thread!

Here are my newest designs, a little different than normal. I posted them in another thread, and hoe you dont mind me posting here.

Chalcedny, swarovski crystals, bali &sterling silver. Lampwork by MVerdi.

Copper, carnelian, sead beads, copper/bali beads, swarovski. Lampwork by MVerdi.

The black set, lampwork by Mary Poineal (hey that's me! - about time too!!), moretti glass, sterling wire, solid sterling bangle, bali and sterling bead accents, along with swarovski crystals on the earrings. This was a special order. One of my best customers and she waited since December for my electric to be finished. What a sweety!

Thank you,
Mary

PS comments and critiques are greatly appreciated. Except on my photography which currently is off. :)

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-16-2004, 11:32 AM
There's a new daily thread for show and tell today, all! Hop on over to the new thread to post your Wearable Art!

:D

~Danielle

ringslingin
03-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Here's a few of what I do. Hand painted silk scaves and shawls.

Li

Li, these are BEAUTIFUL!!! I am stunned!!! I want one~! No chance you trade scraves for jewelry, is there? hehe

toozygoot
03-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Li - I love, love, love your scarves! And I would be hard-pressed to pic a favorite. But living by the water, the fish and the mermaid sure call to me! Where do you sell your work?

Misty - that stone is enchanting! Just a beautiful piece!

Mary - love your beads and the necklaces!

Update! The beads on my bracelet are "copper paisley"s by Jami Hamilton. Need to give credit when credit is due, even if my mind takes a long time to remember!

pat