PDA

View Full Version : Troll Challenge!

Tink
03-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Melinda's Monkey Challenge was a resounding success (Yay Melinda!!!) so I thought it would be fun to piggyback on that with another similar sculptural challenge. Thanks to Deborah Read (Dread) for suggesting our subject matter: TROLLS!

The rules are simple, and were blatantly pirated from Melinda then slightly altered :D

Make one or more trolls, whatever that means (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/troll) to you. Trolls may be in any form: Beads, marbles, goblet stems... You name it!
Post your image(s) in the appropriate thread which will magically appear on Thursday, April 1. Do try to refrain from posting before then: Not only do we want to avoid artistically influencing others, but the suspense is oh so sweet!
Have a BLAST!

JavaGirlBT
03-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Cool! I can't wait till April 1! :clap:

eyeskatermum
03-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Exboss = Troll.

I think I will be really enjoying this challenge....

Ignuss-Fatuus
03-15-2004, 10:29 AM
oh I can smell some troll muck oozing up! hehe :) Cant wait to see what people come up with and im sure Miss Booger will have something equally horifying ;) as CYCLOPS! lol
Karin

dread
03-15-2004, 10:33 AM
I want to be able to make a troll but just never have the ambition to sit and do it for any reason---- now I do ---- I love these challenges they really make you sit and think.......and TRY

Thanks Tink for arranging this one !

csamson
03-15-2004, 10:53 AM
WoooHooo! I'm a avid D&D player from way back and play some Everquest now. Can't wait to see all the Trolls. My preciousssssssss

ReZ

jujeebeads
03-15-2004, 11:11 AM
yay!! this will be quite the challenge for me-never ever thought about making a troll before, but I want to play!! :p

I really liked how the monkey challenge worked-the anticipation of waiting for "the day" to post was great! AND, I had so much fun making monkeys! I think I may even make more!

thanks Tink for putting a new challenge together. and thank you and Melinda for organinzing the monkeys!

Judy :cat:

MistyCherie
03-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Hehehe. I'm in...I have the PERFECT troll idea already! Sounds like a ton of fun!

=)

-Misty

DebbieSue
03-15-2004, 05:31 PM
I worked on my troll today. Made 2, but one looks more like an elf than a troll... :( (The other doesn't look too good either.) This is going to be harder than I thought...

Debbie

Melinda Melanson
03-15-2004, 07:41 PM
waaaaa, I wish I could get some torch time. I am going to try to make the troll, bunny and monkey. I am soooo behind. I am so glad everyone had fun with the Monkey challenge. And I really like having the "unveiling" day.

Back to the darn concrete, yard work, site prep, site disassembly, digging, digging and more digging etc... ugh!!

I'm gonna have to go trolling to see what a troll looks like. ;)

Lenda
03-15-2004, 07:45 PM
OK, can't wait to see what Sheryll does! :p Maybe I'll try to get on the torch tomorrow and try a troll!:D Still need to clean my monkeys and get those posted too. :rolleyes:

snootyvixen
03-15-2004, 07:49 PM
Oh lawdy! Have to see what I can come up with for this one!

Vikki

Booger
03-15-2004, 07:53 PM
A troll........hm.........don't know if I can make anything THAT ugly!?! But I will toss my glass hat into the glass pool and give it a shot...........(You watch - I 'll try to make a troll and it will turn out looking like a pretty woman or George Bush.) :cool:

IN!
Sheryll

springdream
03-15-2004, 08:02 PM
My beads suck so bad I think I might just be able to try something like this. Anyone care to refresh my memory with some troll pics? Are we doing those troll people with the bright colored hair and look like Don King?

eyeskatermum
03-15-2004, 08:18 PM
I'm there with ya Melinda - In last few weeks of our remodel - still have no kitchen and everything is boxed up! My daughter got a bug bite and I finally gave up searching for the anti-itch cream and went to the store and bought more. My husbad calls the downstairs bathroom "the Kitchen" and I have to microwave in the garage!

All my glass is upstairs in the sewing room and the kiln is....is....is...speaking of the kiln, where is that sucker......

Don King, too funny, that's exactly the first picture I had in my mind too on one of those old troll doll bodies. LOL!

MistyCherie
03-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Debi & springdream .... shhhh...don't give away my secret! *grin* (Those were the first things that came to mind to me too!)

Hehehehe.

=)

-M

saucy
03-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Exboss = Troll.

I think I will be really enjoying this challenge....
My former SIL was nicknamed Troll by my DH. She is a midget and looked like one of those dolls that you roll in your hands and the hair stands straight up. I'm not kidding either. She's real and I'm doubly thankful that she isn't my neice's stepmother any longer.

DebbieSue
03-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Broke the body of one of my trolls. Couldn't get it off the mandrel. His head looked more like an elf anyway. But at least I have one ugly troll...

Debbie

mtbarr
03-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Debbie, how terribly ugly your troll is. Best one I have seen so far! :clap: Te He..
Kay

snootyvixen
03-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Ifinished mine today! He's a "cute" troll! I won't tell you what I based it on because that may give it away ... I WILL say that he's "kid friendly" and he bears no resemblence to an Easter bunny!

Roll on April 1!

Vikki

AlexM
03-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Oh goody! A scultural challenge that I can actually participate in and not feel embarrassed! :rolleyes: All my sculptural attempts have looked like trolls no matter what I was attempting, so I'm in!

Toni Lutman
03-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Worked on a troll today. Unfortunately, it looked like a monkey :(

Toni

Tink
03-17-2004, 09:23 PM
ROFL Toni!

PyroAaron
03-18-2004, 10:39 PM
I'm in on this one!!!!!!!!1 :D

Chickebeadz
03-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Count me in! Can't wait to try a troll at the torch! :)

JCA
03-25-2004, 05:37 AM
April 1st getting closer!!!
trolling the threads

KetchikanSculptor
03-27-2004, 02:24 AM
I wish I was better at bead making to go for this challenge! I love trolls and used to collect them in the 60's. Oh my... I am nearly giving my age away again!

This is a great idea Tink! Hope that there will be another (troll) one in about 6 months or a year!!

Ignuss-Fatuus
03-28-2004, 10:02 AM
buwahahaha i made a trolllllly trolll trolll last night cant wait to see everyones on april 1!

dread
03-28-2004, 11:12 AM
I've got two now one friday and one last night - boy am I impressed with myself -
Even made a dragon head too -I'm showing on S&T today without stain and staining with paradise paints right now

dread
03-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Bumping this up as a reminder that Thursday is TROLL DAY !!!!!

I cant seem to get tea staining deep enough any hints ???? brand or maybe not doing it right - brewing the tea and letting bags sit and putting the pieces in?

I also stained with Paradise paints - came out OK but you will have to wait and see for Thursday

Tink
03-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Take about six teabags and put them in about 1/2 cup of water. Microwave. Let the solution cool, then squeeze the liquid out of the bags into the cup they were in. Keep solution in fridge until you're ready to use it. I'm kind of unsure of the next steps, so bear with me. You dunk the bead in the tea liquid but I don't know if you let it dry and then bake it (really low) in the oven, or if you bake it wet.

I'm sure someone can fill in the blanks on this. I heard Sharon explaining it at a demo, but I had nothing to write on/with and I am a WAY visual person so I probably didn't retain most of what she said. LOL!

Emily NZ
03-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Mine looks like an evil elf!
Emily

dread
03-29-2004, 08:18 PM
OK so I am NOT baking in the oven !!!!! missed that part !
I'll try that

I stained one troll with paradise paint brown and another with the tea stain which isnt bad but not dark enough for my tastes.

saucy
03-30-2004, 02:21 AM
I finally made a troll. What a dang challenge that was! Thanks Tink for the kick in the butt I needed.

dread
03-30-2004, 08:22 AM
Tomorrow night I'm staying up till midnight ! way past my bedtime !
just to post a troll or two.

Tink
03-30-2004, 09:40 AM
I am totally ashamed to say I haven't even tried a troll yet. :( I was so sick last week and now it seems like I'm frantically playing catch-up with stuff. I am hoping that I can work on a little guy tonight. I know what I want to do, and I guess that's half the battle. LOL!

Saucy, I will be more than happy to kick you in the http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2004/10179-buttcon.gif any time you would like. LOL!

DebbieSue
03-30-2004, 10:00 PM
I made another troll but it looks like a witch. Maybe I'll make a hat and put it away for Halloween... :D

Debbie

saucy
03-30-2004, 11:16 PM
I am totally ashamed to say I haven't even tried a troll yet. :( I was so sick last week and now it seems like I'm frantically playing catch-up with stuff. I am hoping that I can work on a little guy tonight. I know what I want to do, and I guess that's half the battle. LOL!

Saucy, I will be more than happy to kick you in the http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2004/10179-buttcon.gif any time you would like. LOL!

Don't you dare feel bad! You were sick and we all know how much work doesn't get done when you are sick. You're allowed to sit back, relax, and get well.

I have made three trolls to date. One my DH said looked like a clown. The second he shook his head at, but I think it's cute, and the third turned out weird. It will be fun to see them all on the 1st. I'll probably stay up and post at midnight myself. LOL

Kalera
03-31-2004, 01:42 AM
OK, can't wait to see what Sheryll does! :p Maybe I'll try to get on the torch tomorrow and try a troll!:D Still need to clean my monkeys and get those posted too. :rolleyes:

"Still need to clean my monkeys" is NOT a phrase one hears every day... LOL!

Kalera
03-31-2004, 01:47 AM
OK, I actually meant to post and say that I'm gonna try to make some trolls tomorrow (sneaking in under the wire for the deadline!), but I got sidetracked by the image of Lenda cleaning her monkeys.

dread
03-31-2004, 09:41 AM
I finished my second Troll Saturday and I completely forgot about taking pics and that tomorrow (tonight at midnight !) we get to post.

Tink - this flu thats going around is something else - it really puts a damper on things - even had to cancel my classes with Deb Crowley in Vegas because of it.

Take care

blazinghussy
03-31-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm in! I know it's late, but I love to live on the edge. I have no idea what I'll come up with, but it's bound to be awful whatever it is :clap:

dread
03-31-2004, 07:00 PM
5 more hours to posting !!!!! I'm ready - took my pics

Are we doing a seperate thread like the monkey - I got lost and posted in old thread - dont want to find out a day later I was in the wrong place

JavaGirlBT
03-31-2004, 09:40 PM
Starlia started a separate thread for the trolls.

saucy
03-31-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks Ellen. I should have thought of doing that myself. :rolleyes: Thank you for letting everyone know. I'm as anxious as every body to post these beads.

Ignuss-Fatuus
03-31-2004, 10:43 PM
had to remake my trolls tonight! I dropped my first one and he was so dam cool but i dropped him on his eaers! and the tips snapped off sniff sniff

saucy
03-31-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm sorry about your trolls. Can you glue the broken one? I would really like to see him.

You could say he was so funny he kept cracking himself up. :p

Ignuss-Fatuus
03-31-2004, 11:52 PM
hehe im gonna try when I can find me some supa glue ;) I just took pics of the 2 in my kiln ;)off to find the show n troll thread!

snootyvixen
04-01-2004, 12:00 AM
(mine's glued .... don't tell anyone!)

Vikki