PDA

View Full Version : Painting With Stringer

wonderwoman
03-13-2004, 12:32 PM
This is an experimental bead, made by... you guessed it... painting with stringer. The picture kind of stinks, but if you look closely, there are even clouds in the sky. All together, I painted about 15 layers of color, excluding the base color. The bead measures approximately 1"x1/4", made on a 1/16th" mandrel.

Now, show me your "painted" beads!

wmo
03-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Whoa! That is beautiful!!!

Lara
03-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Verry pretty. I really like the variations in the colors in the mountains.

Lara

wonderwoman
03-13-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the compliments!

In regard to the mountains, I used the brown version of opal yellow, black, and some silvered edp, which really pulled the colors together into that stony pattern.

wonderwoman
03-13-2004, 12:58 PM
BTW, there was absolutely no frit used to make this bead, not even on the stringer.

Virginia L.
03-13-2004, 12:59 PM
WOW, I see mountains, the sky, clouds, grass, a river, really wonderful - God Bless - Virginia L.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Toni Lutman
03-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Great bead. :clap:

Toni

wonderwoman
03-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks everyone, for your wonderful comments!

I only have the one pic of this bead, but if you turn the bead over, there are also rocks lining the shore.

Carriebug
03-13-2004, 01:05 PM
I love it! Just the inspiration I need to get going today!!

Carrie

wonderwoman
03-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Carriebug, I've been inspired by a lot of the work found on WC!, and you have no idea how good it feels to have someone say that about my bead! Thank you SO much! :D OMG, I'm getting misty...

Alan Cross
03-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Nice I like it.....I am not ready to paint with stringers yet....
Alan :)

wonderwoman
03-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Alan, ready shmeady... just go for it! You may surprise yourself! Even if you don't post a picture of the result, you'd still get an 'A' for effort in my book!

Alan Cross
03-13-2004, 01:58 PM
LOL well we will see....where on the Island do you live I live in Victoria.

Alan Cross
03-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Alan, ready shmeady... just go for it! You may surprise yourself! Even if you don't post a picture of the result, you'd still get an 'A' for effort in my book!\

OK if I already have an A what do I have to lose....lol I will see what I can do.

springdream
03-13-2004, 02:30 PM
I think it's beautiful! I wanted to try something like that but didn't know if it could be done. Since I live in the mountains I really find it great :) Are you selling it?

Gazin
03-13-2004, 03:24 PM
I love stringer paintings, I do them a lot, I also end up with loads of ones that stink, but its always an adventure...

Emily NZ
03-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Lovely ! I really am fond of those.
I paint with stringer too on my pendants but use the paint in reverse technique.
Here are some tree pendants and a grapescape drop done in this way.
I've posted these before so must make an effort to make some newer ones!
Emily

Gazin
03-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Emily, those are great! I am particular to the middle one, love the mood...

StefaniBeads
03-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Wow, all of these posted here are so beautiful! :)

chroma
03-13-2004, 07:21 PM
I'm still just trying to figure out how to do simple stuff with stringer. I think it will be a while before I try painting.

Somebody tell me how you stabelize your hand when you apply stringer??
bj

skotiey
03-14-2004, 02:50 PM
were those last two sets of posts boro glass?

thatgirl
03-14-2004, 04:38 PM
That really is incredible... if I didn't know better, I would have assumed you had used paint, and not glass, to draw the scene.. you should be very proud!

Cheers,
Sue :cat:

DonnaBee
03-14-2004, 06:40 PM
Really stunning stringer painting each of you. Great thread Dianna!

manda j
03-14-2004, 06:48 PM
This is my very first post and I don't even have a little picture or anything. I just had to tell you how much I loved your bead! What was the base color? Did you make your own stringers for painting? It is just great!

Alan Cross
03-14-2004, 09:49 PM
This is my very first post and I don't even have a little picture or anything. I just had to tell you how much I loved your bead! What was the base color? Did you make your own stringers for painting? It is just great!
Hi Amanda and welcome thanks for joining in.....

Ok here is mine I will have to tell you want it is so you know lol....
Light blue top dark blue bottem clouds in the sky sailboat in the water and trees behind the sailboat hard to do but it was fun might have to try more .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2004/13186-Sailboat_bead.jpg

wonderwoman
03-15-2004, 01:12 AM
:clap:

Alan Cross
03-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Your sailboat is MUCH more recognizeable than my first mountainscape, which looked like a clump of sod in a windstorm. I would post a pic, but I'd forgotted I gave it away as a fugly. Alan, I hope you stick with it. From sailboats on the ocean to miniature mona lisas, who can tell? A+!

--Dianna

LOL thanks Dianna you still didn't tell me where on the Island you are...
Alan ;)

wonderwoman
03-15-2004, 01:24 AM
LOL thanks Dianna you still didn't tell me where on the Island you are...
Alan ;)

Port Alberni-- next stop, MARS!

wonderwoman
03-15-2004, 01:30 AM
Gasp! What happened? I feel like such a bonehead...
I edited my post to resize the picture, and also to add a little enthusiasm. I thought I could insert the picture into the text, fiddled with it a couple of minutes, decided to forget about the insertion, hit BACKSPACE (my text was highlighted) and enter. I didn't even notice until I actually looked at a new post! So.... this is all your fault, Alan! Just like a man! ;)
(Kidding!)

--Dianna

wonderwoman
03-15-2004, 01:56 AM
Springdream, I already sold that bead, but yesterday I tried to make 2 others. The first would have been great, but I accidentally grabbed the wrong stringer to outline the mountains, red brown. It really clashes! The second one can be seen in the 'Another Animated Bead' thread. If you look closely, you can see what appears to be white dots dappling the water. Wrong! I'd neglected to sweep the marver clear and presto! Bead release adhered firmly to bead in the final stretch. AARGH! I'd spent nearly 40 minutes making the rotten thing, and all that was left was a few final touches. Oh, those touches were final, all right!

Virginia L.
03-15-2004, 11:11 AM

Welcome Amanda, so glad you have arrived...Did you introduce yourself in the Lobby so people can say hi..I have not been around enough to keep up fr a few days - welcome once more - God Bless - Virginia L.

Alan Cross
03-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Gasp! What happened? I feel like such a bonehead...
I edited my post to resize the picture, and also to add a little enthusiasm. I thought I could insert the picture into the text, fiddled with it a couple of minutes, decided to forget about the insertion, hit BACKSPACE (my text was highlighted) and enter. I didn't even notice until I actually looked at a new post! So.... this is all your fault, Alan! Just like a man! ;)
(Kidding!)

--Dianna
Ekkkk what did I do??? LOL ok PA is not that far but it is off the road a bit lol....

PatiWalton
03-16-2004, 12:25 PM
This is an experimental bead, made by... you guessed it... painting with stringer. The picture kind of stinks, but if you look closely, there are even clouds in the sky. All together, I painted about 15 layers of color, excluding the base color. The bead measures approximately 1"x1/4", made on a 1/16th" mandrel.

Now, show me your "painted" beads!
I give it 2 thumbs up.

wonderwoman
03-16-2004, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the love, Manda! In response to your question, yes, all the stringer is hand-pulled. The bead is too small for any kind of precision with commercial stringer.

The colors used:

base: 224-light sky blue

clouds: 204-white

mountains: 252-light gray, 254-purple (edp, silvered), 266-opal yellow (dark batch), 064-black

foliage: 214-nile green, 216-light grass green

water: I'm not totally sure, I just used whatever was laying around beacause I hadn't planned on adding water. I know I used a bit of 232-light turquoise, and some 240-light cobalt. I'm pretty sure there's some light sky blue and possibly a touch of white.

I'm sorry I don't have anything clearer, but I don't write down bead 'recipes'. Most of the time, I've forgotten the ingredients before I've even finished the bead!

--Dianna

Lenda
03-17-2004, 11:17 AM
This was my favorite bead that I painted with stringer. I sold it and sometimes have sellers remorse! LOL! :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2004/10665-moirasmall.jpg