PDA

View Full Version : venice demo

jackiesimmonds
03-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Thought I would do a few progress shots of a current pic, since I know that many of you guys like to see these. Step 1 is watercolour, onto a dusty pink sheet of Art Spectrum
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2004/1805-venice_step_1wc.jpg

The remaining steps show the gradual build-up of the pastel. Lots of layers. Think it is fairly self-explanatory,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2004/1805-venice_step_2wc.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2004/1805-venice_step_3wc.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2004/1805-venice_fini.jpg

That dark curve on the left is because the sheet popped off the board in that corner just before I shot the pic...it is actually straighter than that, but will be straightened even more. It may even be scumbled over, to reduce its impact. And that pinky building on the right may become bluer. This is probably 90% there, I reckon. I need to leave it alone now, and sneak up on it tomorrow when it isn't looking. And then do the mirror thing.

J

Deborah Secor
03-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Nice demo, Jackie. I love the color and light. That dark line on the left is a bit distracting but I know you'll handle it perfectly. Tell me about your process--I notice marks on the left side that have been cropped out of the finished (well, 90%) piece. Do you use that area to find color, value, relationships, what? Also, is it left there under a mat or is it cut off? Just curious...

BTW, the only other element I'd question is whether the pole in the middle and the big dome should line up so much... it may be the alignment of the photo.
Deborah

jackiesimmonds
03-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Nice demo, Jackie. I love the color and light. That dark line on the left is a bit distracting ....

I agree. I am doing battle with it, although I suspect I really should leave it now and go away from it for a while because I am terribly tired.

Tell me about your process--I notice marks on the left side that have been cropped out of the finished (well, 90%) piece. Do you use that area to find color, value, relationships, what?

Yes, that's exactly what I do, when I am not sure about the stick I pick up. Often, my sticks get dusty, and without testing, I am not always sure what colour or value I grab. It is time for a cleaning session, methinks.....

Also, is it left there under a mat or is it cut off? Just curious...

Depends on the width of the mat, and the width of my test scribbles! In this case, I will probably have to cut off a bit. There are more marks on the right hand side, as you can see in one of the steps. I always like to leave a margin, so that I can do this.

BTW, the only other element I'd question is whether the pole in the middle and the big dome should line up so much... it may be the alignment of the photo.

No, it isn't the alignment of the photo, I am afraid. It is me, being too literal! I had noticed that after posting, and was wondering what on earth to do about it, because I think I may have to move BOTH darn poles! Aaargh! I also think the right-hand one is too upright, and would look better with a bit of a lean to the right....oh dear. In fact, in an attempt to "knit" the poles in a bit more, I have changed the pic ... the poles are now blue and white, and they contrast rather less. However, the thought of removing both poles, and doing them both again, is horrible, so it may have to wait until I am far less tired, can take a deep breath, and plunge right in with a stiff brush and a stiff upper lip.

Maggie P
03-10-2004, 05:10 PM
I LOVE the sparkle on the water, Jackie. It's just beautiful.

I'm not sure both poles would need to be altered. If you angled the one on the left just a little bit, don't you think that would fix it?

Great sky, too.

jackiesimmonds
03-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Thanks, Maggie. I have tried angling the left-hand one, and despite the fact that I THOUGHT I had angled it quite a bit, in fact, I hadn't, and it will have to be done again, I fear. It is turning into one of those pics which is determined to give me a bit of heartache before I can pronounce it completed.

Jackie

Khadres
03-11-2004, 09:38 AM
It is turning into one of those pics which is determined to give me a bit of heartache before I can pronounce it completed.Jackie

It'll be well worth the effort once you're feeling rested, I think! I love the colors and the pink on the right doesn't bother me a bit. The dark wall/cornice/whatever you call it kind of "grounds" me and gives me a "safe" sort of border...arghh...can't explain it, but I certainly would leave it in tho you might soften it a bit. It gives me the notion that you're not looking at the rest of the painting from out on open water or something...just a hint of the canal location.

That looks like AS's Aubergine or Dusty Rose color, forget which, but I love it! I have a couple sheets of it and am "saving" it for something special. I'm thrilled to see the first stage with the underpainting...I haven't tried that yet and seeing how you did it is very instructive!

I know what you mean, however, about being tired. If I'm not feeling well or am exhausted, EVERYTHING seems too much trouble and I'm learning, in those cases, to go do something else until I feel better and clearer headed.

This ptg. should be a joy to finish up, not an ordeal....or if it IS an ordeal, it should be one you come out the other side of feeling triumphant and not just pooped! If that makes any sense.

jackiesimmonds
03-11-2004, 10:06 AM
sooz - thanks so much for the positive comments, I had begun to think that despite quite a few views, people didn't think much of this and couldn't be bothered to comment! I was rather sorry I had bothered to show it as a demo.

However, your comments, together with the other few above, are very welcome. Thanks

Jackie

Meisie
03-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Oh Jackie this is beautiful!
I just love seeing this in WIP form, kinda helps me see how you build it all up together. I like you 'loose' or impressionistic pastel stokes. and I'm interested to see what you do with those poles.
Hard to find a favourite part of the painting! The sky? the water? the dome? no wait...look at the greenery on the left :)
Gusess you can say I really like the painting? :D

Meisie

jackiesimmonds
03-12-2004, 12:41 PM
thanks a lot, Meisie.

This pic is givng me a lot of grief, it is now well overworked ... but hopefully, there is still something worthwhile in it. Maybe. Or maybe not. The poles were red and white and too straight; then they were blue and white and a bit more leaning; then I put in another solid blue pole near the building and that unbalanced the composition; now I have taken out the extra blue pole, and put in another boat and made the sky pinker and the buildings a tad lighter and the next thing I plan to do is CHUCK THE DARN THING OUT OF THE WINDOW ALONG WITH ALL MY PASTELS....

the stamping of feet and gnashing of teeth can be heard for miles.....

So - all those of you who think it is easy for those of us who are more experienced.........think again.

Who on earth did those below? It certainly could never have been me.....

Meisie
03-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Jackie, if you did not struggle like this at all, chances are you may never have produced those paintings under your signature!

I know whatever you do, you'll make it a good painting.

I'll ignore the gnashing sounds ;) then again....I'm rather far away!! :D

Meisie

edited to add : Jackie did you keep record of the work/changes? It could be an excellent thread for 'how to make changes' or 'how to spot problems and fix them' that sort of thing. Beginners and experienced painters always have those kinds of paintings and if nothing else to be encouraged to fix instead of throw out, is always a good idea, not?

jackiesimmonds
03-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Jackie did you keep record of the work/changes? It could be an excellent thread for 'how to make changes' or 'how to spot problems and fix them' that sort of thing. Beginners and experienced painters always have those kinds of paintings and if nothing else to be encouraged to fix instead of throw out, is always a good idea, not?

Funnily enough, when I look back at the images above, I realise that I like step 2 better than the finished piece! As I said ... it has become thoroughly overworked. I think this thread says it all ... I do not need to do another. Anyone who reads this, can read about the struggle. You may be thinking ... why didn't she leave well alone at step 3 above? Well, it was because someone commented that the central pole was in line with the main dome, and that began to worry me ... so the change process started. The more changes I made, the worse it became. I may get there in the end... I may not. Sometimes, the more you fiddle, the worse it gets. Sometimes, by letting go, taking a few risks, brushing off and starting various passages again, you can pull it all together again. There are no guarantees tho.

Jackie

meowmeow
03-12-2004, 03:01 PM
I like what is on the screen here (allowing for the fact that you were not finished)...although I realize what you are looking at is not the same at this point. It's one good (and sometimes bad) thing about WC...you get to see where you came from.
In any case, what is here has a wonderful dreamy feel to it. Soft colors, very impressionistic. The water is wonderful!
I'm sorry to see you struggling so...but in a way it is true that it helps those of us without all your experience to realize it does not come that easily to anyone. I hope after all your hard work and teeth gnashing you are able to bring this to a happy conclusion.

Sandy

Deborah Secor
03-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Oh Jackie, I'm afraid in this case I'm the one who said something about the poles, which grieves me. But I know you were or would have been doing the same thing sooner or later... still, I'm sorry!

However, let me pull my footstool over here by you and sit down so I can commiserate with you. I have a snow painting on my easel that has had so many changes it looks like a 75-year-old Hollywood 'starlet' whose ears are nearly on top of her head. This thing has so many changes in it that you'd hardly recognize it--but I don't have a record of all the goings-on to share. I think I'll just chuck this puppy and do it all over again, fresh and clean.

I'm confident you'll either pull this one off with some swift move or the next one will sparkle and shine, Jackie!

Deborah

E-J
03-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Jackie, I'm sure it is definitely not a case of people not being bothered to comment ... some of us just wish we were struggling with the same class of problems as you :D The alignment of that pole IS distracting but I'm sure you will fix it.

ArtsiePhartsie
03-12-2004, 06:54 PM
I think it's beautiful...soft and peaceful (something I need right now...) Oh to be able to create such beauty. I am new....and will work hard to get to where you are.

Peace, Artsie