PDA

View Full Version : Flower Pounding

ReNae
08-24-2001, 10:50 PM
Just wanted to share my new discovery....flower pounding. You beat up those vibrant petals with a hammer on watercolor paper.

I plan on using these for a background. The piece is 11"x17"

The first image is the left side, the second the right. I don't know how to stitch them together. ~ReNae

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2001/flowerpoundingleft.jpg

sassybird
08-25-2001, 12:14 AM
I have 30 rose bushes and numerous other flowering plants and never thought of doing anything like this with the petals.

Now for the stitching together. There are a couple of means that comes to mind. One, mount the pieces side by side with photographers clear corners on a piece of 2 or 4 ply museum board. Two, since the piece is so cheery you could cross stitch down the center with a complimentary color or one that matches the colors you have using 3 ply embrodery thread. Three, you could take dried flowers and use them to pull the pieces together using an archivall glue.

ReNae
08-25-2001, 12:22 AM
Thanks sass, glad you like it.

When I meant stitch,,,,I meant in photoshop. I used a scanner to scan, but beings it's so large I could only scan one side at a time! lol! So I guess I better learn how to digitally stitch so to speak! But thanks sass!

~ReNae

Leaflin
08-25-2001, 12:53 PM
ReNae
I love this
What a great idea.:)

sassybird
08-25-2001, 02:03 PM
LMAO You can tell I am a fiber artist. When I am asked about stitching I think literally.

ReNae
08-25-2001, 02:52 PM
Leaflin - Thanks :)

Sass - In all my years of stitchery, I didn't even think twice about the context of my note.....fibers are a wonderful thing you can never put them down when you start! ;)

~ReNae

impetuous
08-25-2001, 07:26 PM
This is a great idea. Does any of the petal scent stay on the paper?
You said that you were going to use these as a background, I'd love to see what you do next with them.

ReNae
08-25-2001, 09:34 PM
No, no scent, except when I did the tomato leaves, but then it was fleeting. It only has a smell of dried flowers if you put your nose up to it.

I hope I don't disappoint any of you with my next approach....gosh feeling the pressure here! ;)

I will be doing another pounding tomorrow after I pick up some of those wonderfully colorful mums. I want to get a bunch done before the summer blooms are gone.

~ReNae

Bracero
08-26-2001, 11:27 AM
I love the complexity & texture of it. The possibilities seem endless & one could be as structured or aleatory [sp?] as one wished.

Plus it looks like a great way to vent one's @!#* thoughts & feelings. I'm not being facetious here ('though it does give the phrase "pounding down a few Buds" a whole new meaning.)

I'm definitely going to try it

ReNae
08-26-2001, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Bracero
I love the complexity & texture of it. The possibilities seem endless & one could be as structured or aleatory [sp?] as one wished.

Originally when I started this, I had no set plan for it, just wanted to see what would happen. But then I couldn't stop, my neighbors probably thought I was freakin' nuts picking weeds and flowers and bringing them inside. Then all you could hear was the pounding of the hammer for hours! lol

Plus it looks like a great way to vent one's @!#* thoughts & feelings. I'm not being facetious here ('though it does give the phrase "pounding down a few Buds" a whole new meaning.

I've been really angry since my Dad died, this really let's you curse at the world in front of your kids.....because the hammer pounding deadens the words!

Oh and please give it a try, it really looks so much better in person then in a jpeg.

~ReNae

SanDL
09-03-2001, 10:23 PM
but aren't there UV protector mediums and varnishes out there?

drapier
09-05-2001, 06:29 AM
WOW! What a great idea.

Here is a link to stitching two piece scans in photoshop.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/library/tuts/bltut24.htm

Here is my attempt using above tutorial.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2001/flowerpoundingleft[1].jpeg.jpg

drapier
09-05-2001, 03:14 PM
Here is a digital portait I did of a Flower Seller I photographed while out walking.
I am not overly happy with it but I think the possibilities are endless.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2001/flowerpboy].jpeg.jpg

ReNae
09-05-2001, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by SanDL
but aren't there UV protector mediums and varnishes out there?

Lightfastness hasn't been an issue, it's just like using natural pigments, except you are using the flower pigments. It has not altered in anyway since I originally applied the poundings. I did another one and it is just as vibrant as the first. As soon as you pound, the paper absorbs the flower 'juice' so to speak. It's like using watercolor paints without watering it down.

I'm not sure how many mediums and varnishes are out there to protect against the damages of the sun, but I do know they are out there. ;)

~ReNae

ReNae
09-05-2001, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by drapier
WOW! What a great idea.

Thanks for the link! I will definitely check it out.

I don't mind, I just have to narrow down my ideas to one.........that's the hard part.

When I put the finishing touches on it.....you will all get to see.....promise!

~ReNae

jenrou
09-07-2001, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the ideas, ReNae. I've done single flowers, smashed, pressed, and dried, but not as a background.
I've been trying to think of a unique way to do my dear departed grandmother in her flower garden, and this could be a good idea for that.
How many flowers do you think you used for that one piece of paper? Just curious. (as usual):D

ReNae
09-07-2001, 10:07 AM
Jenrou - I really didn't count the flowers...just went into my garden and picked, picked, picked! But if I had to guess, I would say at least a dozen and a half. You have to consider the size of some of the flowers you are using. It also would depend on the size of the paper and how much clarity you would want too. My second picture doesn't have as much definition...I let the flowers stay on it a little longer and I really smushed them up. So the second one has more of a watercolor quality to it.

Hope this helped!

~ReNae