PDA

View Full Version : Whale of a Tale

MissMouse
08-24-2001, 05:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2001/whale1sm.jpg

I posted this originally in watercolor. It was suggested to put it here to.
300 lb wc paper soaked in water than a wash put down. Now the fun part sprinkle with Kosher salt. Wait to see what happens. This was going to be a flower but.... The tail was drawn in graphite than watercolor and colored pencil adds the highlights. O' I forgot also used friskit. Now a frame. I found the drift wood on the lake I live on. A copy is on its way to California to the fellow who photographed this whale wind surfing.

sassybird
08-25-2001, 12:19 AM
I have used Kosher salt before and you can get some surprising effects. I like the tail of the whale sticking out of the water and the colors around it. The drift wood is a nice effect, but I would have looked for more of it and framed the whole piece in the driftwood. That would give it more finished look.

Leaflin
08-25-2001, 12:46 PM
Hi Miss Mouse
What I like the most about this piece is the way the driftwood echos the shape of the whales flukes and tail stock.
Very nice piece :)

impetuous
08-25-2001, 07:31 PM
I have tried using salt a couple of times with water colour but haven't had much success. Should the paper be very wet when you sprinkle it on or near to drying?

Great piece by the way :) I love the pinky and peachy bits of colour, they really draw my eye in.

MissMouse
08-25-2001, 07:36 PM
For this I soaked 300 pound paper about 15 minuets in warm water laid down my wash and sprinkled with salt. The paper was quite wet. I have also found that you can not let the paper get bone dry before removing the salt or it will stick.

impetuous
08-25-2001, 07:44 PM
Thanks Miss Mouse, I will try this out again next week:)