PDA

View Full Version : Hooked on Pointillism

Christie
08-23-2001, 01:53 PM
Okay, you got me hooked, now you have to help me!:)

I just bought a Staedler .30 pen and ink for refills. how often do I need to clean it and what do I do if the nib gets puged? Also, how should it be stored (lid up, lid down, sideways...) ? So many questions...:p

MarkL
08-23-2001, 04:49 PM
Hi Ya

I use Rotring Rapidograph pens 0.25, 0.35, 0.7
they tend not to clog but if they do a good soak
in water does the trick, if after a soak the nib still doesn’t rattle
then you need to go for the major option of unscrewing all the
bits that unscrew pull the cap off the top of the nib
and remove the piece that has the thin wire attached
then again soak in water; you can get special cleaning solutions
but I never bother waters free
Note: when you come to put it all back together be VERY CAREFULL
especially with the smaller nibs 0.18, 0.25 as the wire can bend if that happens throw it away and get a new one.

As for storage as long as the cap is on it doesn’t matter. I can put a pen down for 6 months then take the cap off and away you go

Hope this is of help

Christie
08-23-2001, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the info! I bought another .35 pen today for 50% off the regular price. I cannot imagine that these pens will be sitting for 6 months, but I really appreciate the cleaning information.

Thank you

artdude
08-23-2001, 06:51 PM
Hi Christie :) Well Mark pretty well summed it all up in his post. But I thought I would let you know that you can also purchase some "Airbrush & Technical" pen cleaner. That is what I use to clean my pens. I keep a small container of it handy when I am working on an ink drawing. When I am done drawing for that day I just dip the pen nib into the solution and wipe it with a lint free cloth and cap it. My pens have never clogged, so far. Well that's my 2 cents worth :D Hope to see more stippling (pointillism) soon. Happy to hear your enjoying the ink work so much.

Christie
08-23-2001, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the advice. Next time I can afford to go to Nordraft, I'll look into the cleaner.

here are some robins that I was working on before I got the refillable pens. For some reason the camera cannot pickup the detail, but I will try scanning it tonight if I get a chance.

artdude
08-24-2001, 08:48 AM
Looks like a great pic Christie :) With photos and scanning you always tend to loose detail. Nothing like seeing the real thing. Nice composition with the robins. I can see that one already has found his supper :D

Christie
08-24-2001, 11:36 AM
Thanks. I have not been able to scan it yet, but will be interested to see what a good scanner can do with it.

The baby robins have been a great deal a fun to watch this year, This little guy ended up losing his worm when it pulled him beak first into the ground!

artdude
08-24-2001, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Christie
This little guy ended up losing his worm when it pulled him beak first into the ground!

Now THAT'S FUNNY!! :D Would have loved to see that.

toddjunck
08-24-2001, 04:56 PM
Another good investment is an "Ultrasonic" pen cleaner. Those can be pretty pricey though....a good substitute is an "Ultrasonic" jewelery cleaner. Just add a mild soap solution or better yet, some of that cleaning solution they mentioned. Drop the business end of your pen in and let it buzzzz away for a bit.