PDA

View Full Version : Egypt theme

Saau_Hatshepsut
08-23-2001, 10:51 AM
I'm an Egypt freak, I happily admit it. *G* Anyway, as a side interest to that, I've been playing around with acrylics and well known Egyptian scenes. Here's one I did a while ago, let me know what you think.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2001/p2.jpg

Saau

Einion
08-23-2001, 01:57 PM
Looks great, the hieroglyphs look good and I love the toned ground - is it loosely-brushed paint? Do you remember the palette you used?

Einion

P.S. Let's see there's Anubis, Thoth and Sobek(?) is this something to do with the afterlife?

Saau_Hatshepsut
08-23-2001, 08:00 PM
Loosely brushed? Palette? Remember I'm very new at this. *L* I just used a mixture of cheap acrylics I got from the Uni stationary store, can't remember what brands they are off the top of my head.
You're right about Anubis and Thoth, and close with Sobek. The crocodile-headed beast under the scales is actually Ammut - the "Devouring Lady". If the heart is weighed and proven injust, then Ammut will leap upon the unrightious man and... well, devour him. It's a part of Egyptian mythology called the second or final death. No papyrus ever shows her doing this though, as everyone wanted to be depicted as gaining passage to the afterlife. This scene is from the Book of the Dead (The Book of Coming Forth by Day, the Egyptians called it), and this particular part is commonly called the Hall of Two Truths.

I think that's enough of a history lesson today, if I'm not careful, I can go on all night. *L*

Saau.

sooty
08-27-2001, 03:05 AM
hi saau love this type of art ...keep up the good work:clap: :cool:

bug
08-27-2001, 07:47 PM
great work, looks so :cool:
Really like your Day of the Living Dead- I think that was the title!:clap:

billyg
08-28-2001, 06:31 AM
Well Acrylic is certainly turning it on tonight. Featherlady on feathers and now Egyptian story time. I dont think we have been down this track before on wc.
Welcome, Sauu, enjoy your journeys with us and show us more of your stuff.
Billyg.

Saau_Hatshepsut
08-28-2001, 08:58 AM
Thanks Bug. :) It's called Lord of the Living Day (ie, Ra, the sun god). Isn't Day of the Living Dead a horror movie, or something of the sort? *L*
Billyg>> I've seen several others here that are interested in Egypt, but perhaps none as... fanatical as I am. *G* I hope to be doing more work with it soon, with a range of mediums, including faience (Egyptian paste, like shiny clay). And it's probably not a good idea to get me started on an Egyptian story, I've been known to keep going on all night. Hehehe

Thanks everyone, you've all made me feel very welcome here. :)

Saau.

Keith Russell
08-28-2001, 05:51 PM
Greetings:

"Night of the Living Dead" 1968.

"Dawn of the Dead" 1979.

"Day of the Dead" 1985.

The first film is a classic: horrifying, not nearly as gory as everyone remembers, and with surprising metaphorical depth--for a horror film, anyway.

The second was interesting in that the plot revolved around the dead returning to the places that meant the most to them in life--in this case a suburban shopping mall. (No one ever gets the humour in these films.)

The third was a pale retread of themes from the first two.

Keith.